• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

February 2018

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello @HaveACuppaTea
Yes, I'll be walking from SJPP on 12 February.
Where are you leaving from and do you have a start date?

Last edited:
I was intending to leave from SJPP as well. I've not decided on a start date yet, but would like to set out mid to late February. I wanted to get my footwear sorted out first, which hopefully I will do this week. I'll definitely let you know if I'm out there on your start date or close to it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was intending to leave from SJPP as well. I've not decided on a start date yet, but would like to set out mid to late February. I wanted to get my footwear sorted out first, which hopefully I will do this week. I'll definitely let you know if I'm out there on your start date or close to it.

Hi HaveACuppaTea,
I will be starting my Camino somewhere between Feb 14 and Feb 18 from SJPP. Looking to see who will be as well.

Cheers,Katie

Hi all!

I’m planning on starting from SJPP on Feb 13/14. I’m a little bit nervous to do my first Camino during the winter, but excited! Hope to see you along the trail and welcome any advice from more experienced hikers.

See you out there.

-Miles

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi all!

I’m planning on starting from SJPP on Feb 13/14. I’m a little bit nervous to do my first Camino during the winter, but excited! Hope to see you along the trail and welcome any advice from more experienced hikers.

See you out there.

-Miles
Hi @Miles Mercer. Even though this is not my first Camino, it's my first winter Camino and also my first solo. I can understand the nervousness ;) I know that once I start walking, any nervousness I have will drop away with each step, and so it will for you. It's easy really, just get up each day and walk.
I'm starting on 12 Feb, but doing a short first day to stay in Valcarlos. Will most likely see you on the way!
Buen Camino :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @Miles Mercer. Even though this is not my first Camino, it's my first winter Camino and also my first solo. I can understand the nervousness ;) I know that once I start walking, any nervousness I have will drop away with each step, and so it will for you. It's easy really, just get up each day and walk.
I'm starting on 12 Feb, but doing a short first day to stay in Valcarlos. Will most likely see you on the way!
Buen Camino :)
Thanks for the confidence boost, Chaya! I’ll see you out there :)

Hi all,

Hope you're getting excited! I have a question...

I'm flying into Madrid on Feb 12 and am planning on taking a train to Pamplona to stay the night there. My plan is then to get up on the morning of the 13th and make my way to St. Jean. Im currently not seeing any buses from Pamplona to SJPP...just curious as to how you all are planning on getting there and if you have any recommendations. Thanks!

-Miles

@Miles Mercer there is a bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles all year round (extreme weather excepting), but the bus to St Jean Pied de Port is seasonal so will probably not be running when you get there. Most people catch the bus to Roncesvalles and hope to join up with others to share a taxi across to St Jean. Or just start walking from Roncesvalles (the traditional starting point for the Spaniards). You could also try putting up a post in the "taxi sharing" section of this forum.

I hope everyone is aware that the Route Napoleon is closed until the end of March, so you will be walking from St Jean Pied de Port via Valcarlos. See this thread for further details.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Miles Mercer there is a bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles all year round (extreme weather excepting), but the bus to St Jean Pied de Port is seasonal so will probably not be running when you get there. Most people catch the bus to Roncesvalles and hope to join up with others to share a taxi across to St Jean. Or just start walking from Roncesvalles (the traditional starting point for the Spaniards). You could also try putting up a post in the "taxi sharing" section of this forum.

I hope everyone is aware that the Route Napoleon is closed until the end of March, so you will be walking from St Jean Pied de Port via Valcarlos. See this thread for further details.
Thanks Kanga! This is extremely helpful information.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back