• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

February Camino

Fiona Brophy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013
Camino Portuguese 2013
Camino Finisterre 2013
I'm returning to Leon on 1 February, to walk those stages to Santiago. What can I expect in terms of weather and temperatures?! John Brierley's advice is "lots of thermals" ...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome to the forum. I hope you find this a useful resource.

You might want to search using a term like 'February camino'. This topic has been regularly discussed over the past few months, with plenty of information that should go to your question. You might still have a more specific question, but you will be better informed nonetheless.

Regards,

Snow would not be a surprise at all in places like Foncebadón, Cebreiro and even in León itself! Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Welcome to the forum. I hope you find this a useful resource.

You might want to search using a term like 'February camino'. This topic has been regularly discussed over the past few months, with plenty of information that should go to your question. You might still have a more specific question, but you will be better informed nonetheless.

Regards,
Thanks, I have changed the heading and had a quick look, I didn't see much info, but to be fair, I'm a poor Internet-navigator

Snow would not be a surprise at all in places like Foncebadón, Cebreiro and even in León itself! Buen camino!
Gracias! What depth could the snow reach? Will I need special shoes (anything but skis) to keep feet especially dry?

Thanks, I have changed the heading and had a quick look, I didn't see much info, but to be fair, I'm a poor Internet-navigator
I found a dozen or so threads using that search on titles. You would need to scan these to better understand if they were helpful.

As for climate info, you could try www.climatemps.com and search for Leon. That will get you to monthly climate data. You can then plan for the climate and dress for the weather.

Regards

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Fiona, I am on the Camino at present and I would anticipate that you could get even worse weather than I have had because as a general rule these days the seasons are just that bit later and Feb is heading towards spring which tends to have far more volatile weather pattern than autumn. I have struck biting, strong winds, and quite a bit of rain on the mesta, which in turn means mud! I have also had very cold frosts and yesterday the mud was frozen which made for easy walking, yet today I have sat in the square getting my dose of vitamin D. There has been some snow lying around, though I think it is from about now that it often starts to fall. The advice I was given was to be prepared to walk on the road if the snow was too deep. I have seen so little that thus far it has not been an issue. I try and watch the Spanish news when I am home, and one of the things that you may have to deal with is the increased river flows due to melting snow at that time of the year. There are no rivers on the way that you need to ford but as, for example on the Cruz de ferro path, some paths have been turned into small water courses, melting snow could well exacerbate this. Some river crossings are low (eg the crossing at Villafranca montes de Oca), and if the bridge is covered it is a simple matter to use the car bridge, but take care. Be prepared for cold and wet and you will have a wonderful Camino! Janet.

Fiona, I am on the Camino at present and I would anticipate that you could get even worse weather than I have had because as a general rule these days the seasons are just that bit later and Feb is heading towards spring which tends to have far more volatile weather pattern than autumn. I have struck biting, strong winds, and quite a bit of rain on the mesta, which in turn means mud! I have also had very cold frosts and yesterday the mud was frozen which made for easy walking, yet today I have sat in the square getting my dose of vitamin D. There has been some snow lying around, though I think it is from about now that it often starts to fall. The advice I was given was to be prepared to walk on the road if the snow was too deep. I have seen so little that thus far it has not been an issue. I try and watch the Spanish news when I am home, and one of the things that you may have to deal with is the increased river flows due to melting snow at that time of the year. There are no rivers on the way that you need to ford but as, for example on the Cruz de ferro path, some paths have been turned into small water courses, melting snow could well exacerbate this. Some river crossings are low (eg the crossing at Villafranca montes de Oca), and if the bridge is covered it is a simple matter to use the car bridge, but take care. Be prepared for cold and wet and you will have a wonderful Camino! Janet.
Thank you Janet, straight from the horse's mouth as it were ;) This is very helpful. I checked Doug's suggestion of the weather website, it looks like I can expect rain, snow, temps -8, about 30% of the time. A few other questions if I may: Where are you walking from and to, have you found an albergue open at each stage and how many pilgrims would you estimate are walking? I believe the number is a trickle of about 500 for the entire month. Buen Camino, Fiona

I believe the number is a trickle of about 500 for the entire month.
About 45 Compostelas were issued each day in the first week of January 2014.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I Am walking with roughly 10 to 15 people each day at present. Some days I see no one and others, like the other night in Astorga I think there may have been about a dozen in the albergue. Falcon's figures above would also include those who were walking other routes I would imagine. I began in St Jean and took the valcarlos route - which I would be pretty certain they would reccomend a Feb pilgrim to do. I can also recommend the Valcarlos albergue to break your journey, delightful place indeed.

I have found enough albergues open, though there wasn't one open in Hornillos, so we hitched a ride to Hontanas. There wasn't one open at Fromista either, but found a hostal at 25€ each, which I consider pretty good. I have also stayed in a couple of hotels, which means I can sleep in when having a rest! I was advised to call ahead and check which ones would be open, but mostly I haven't. The one time I was assured an albergue would be open (Christmas night) it wasn't, but managed to extricate myself from that one and got a lift, in the dark, 2kms up the road to where one was open. You might find some delightful surprises!

I am doing a blog (addressbelow) if your interested. Sing out if there is anything else I can help you with. Janet

http://mywintercamino.blogspot.com.au

Gracias! What depth could the snow reach? Will I need special shoes (anything but skis) to keep feet especially dry?
Hola Fiona!

I do not think you will need crampons or anything like that. Gaiters will certainly be of great help, of course!

Buen camino!!!!

Be aware that the weather changes based on elevation as well. There are several sharp rises between Leon and Santiago and I would check with locals about conditions ahead at Rabanal (before the Cruz de Ferro) Villa Franca de Bierzo (before O Cebreiro), etc.
I agree with the advice to layer up. A wicking layer (silk or synthetics), an insulating layer and a waterproof/windproof layer are really all that is necessary. Avoid cotton) Be aware that some albergues are not all well heated so a warm sleeping bag helped me on my winter camino. Also plan to walk with shorter days.
You will find it challenging at times as many albergues close when there are fewer pilgrims. I was lucky enough to walk with Spanish pilgrims and their help in locating accomodation (where we were often the only people staying).
I am sure that this advice is repeated elsewhere but I am a techno klutz so know how frustrating it can be to navigate around.

Good luck!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I Am walking with roughly 10 to 15 people each day at present. Some days I see no one and others, like the other night in Astorga I think there may have been about a dozen in the albergue. Falcon's figures above would also include those who were walking other routes I would imagine. I began in St Jean and took the valcarlos route - which I would be pretty certain they would reccomend a Feb pilgrim to do. I can also recommend the Valcarlos albergue to break your journey, delightful place indeed.

I have found enough albergues open, though there wasn't one open in Hornillos, so we hitched a ride to Hontanas. There wasn't one open at Fromista either, but found a hostal at 25€ each, which I consider pretty good. I have also stayed in a couple of hotels, which means I can sleep in when having a rest! I was advised to call ahead and check which ones would be open, but mostly I haven't. The one time I was assured an albergue would be open (Christmas night) it wasn't, but managed to extricate myself from that one and got a lift, in the dark, 2kms up the road to where one was open. You might find some delightful surprises!

I am doing a blog (addressbelow) if your interested. Sing out if there is anything else I can help you with. Janet

http://mywintercamino.blogspot.com.au
Thanks Janet, what a trooper! Blog is great, nostalgia is attacking! I'm changing some of my gear ... any recommendations for boots, jacket, sleeping bag? My current ones not suitable for the sort of weather you are braving

My boots are Scarpa. I need them for the toe box. Boots are personal things - whatever is comfy! I love my Montane rain pants. I pull them over the laces, and dont need gaiters. I have a polar fleece, to walk in if necessary, a down jacket for the cold at night, and my goretex rain jacket. The other thing I love in my gear is the prism insulated pants. They are light, comfy, and cosy! Janet

My boots are Scarpa. I need them for the toe box. Boots are personal things - whatever is comfy! I love my Montane rain pants. I pull them over the laces, and dont need gaiters. I have a polar fleece, to walk in if necessary, a down jacket for the cold at night, and my goretex rain jacket. The other thing I love in my gear is the prism insulated pants. They are light, comfy, and cosy! Janet
Thanks Janet, lots of help there. I can't seem to follow your blog anymore, is there a problem? How is it going, where are you? :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The blog should be fine Fiona, I couldn't post for a couple of days, but I managed to post last night. Just having brekky now before I set off for Santiago, Janet

A Feb camino is great, just different. Okay, sometimes too different, but just remember to treat everything as a layer. Remember my slogan for winter walking: If it's not a layer, it's an at-home stayer. (I don't know why something as catchy as that hasn't gone viral - but it hasn't!)

Thanks Janet, much appreciated
The blog should be fine Fiona, I couldn't post for a couple of days, but I managed to post last night. Just having brekky now before I set off for Santiago, Janet

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Robert, I have my layers and Gortex outer layer. Can you say if my old 2 season 'microfibre' + nylon sleeping bag + silk inner, will be adequate in albergues, or is it advisable to switch to down 0 deg?
A Feb camino is great, just different. Okay, sometimes too different, but just remember to treat everything as a layer. Remember my slogan for winter walking: If it's not a layer, it's an at-home stayer. (I don't know why something as catchy as that hasn't gone viral - but it hasn't!)
ank

Wear layers ... avoid sweating because the moisture will interfere with insulation ... take off layers if you get warm ... the sweet spot is the point where you are just about uncomfortable.

If your feet are cold put on a hat. You lose more heat through your head than anywhere else because there is no place else where so much blood gets near the surface.

The only place I got cold was on the Meseta due to wind chill. A rain jacket is useful for cutting the wind.

As for boots ... try to avoid walking in wet snow ... that may mean walking on the roads as they are plowed. Wear plastic bags over your socks if your boots are wet.

The albergues that are open will at least be warm enough to prevent freezing of pipes so a really polar sleeping bag is overkill. I went October to December 2012 and often found albergues to be too hot for anything but a sheet liner.

Fiona, you won't be camping out so any bag/liner will likely do. If an albergue is not heated or late to heat up, you can always put on some of those layers. As I always say, if it's not a layer...

Fiona,

Perhaps you have not see this earlier Forum thread which contains much useful info and references on walking in winter.

Be prepared, stay warm and safe and

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back