• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

February/March weather

analeise

I'm walking the Camino from Lisbon to Porto and then to Santiago in the middle of February through mid March. What is the weather and what kind of rain gear should I bring? How cold will it be?

Please offer any advice you can. I'm traveling solo from the USA.

Marian Analeise Volpe
marian_analeisev@hotmail.com

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Alaleise

Hopefully you will have some sun as well...but I'd prepare for wet and cold weather. A good rain shell and layers below plus a decent sleeping bag if you are sleeping in albergues.

I walked the winter camino and I brought the following:
Gortex rain jacket, it keeps the wind and rain off, best piece of kit i had.
thermal underwear (leggings and vest)
2 pairs of hiking trousers
4 pairs of socks
2 hiking tops
a light fleece (never wore it walking at all though)
a hat, scarf and face warmer (or balaclava)
hiking towel
toiletries bag
a mountaineering sleeping bag (again did nt need as 90 per cent of albrergues were roasting)
gloves
medical bag
a knife
hiking poles
wet pants

drop me a mail if youve any questions

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi April will still be quite cold imho but rain may very well be the main thing you have to contend with - take good rain gear is my advice. Also early in the year lightweight thermal underwear is always a good idea so that you can wear additiona layers and remove them if the temperature rises. But as I said you may also need sunscreen.

JohnnieWalker said:
Hi April will still be quite cold imho but rain may very well be the main thing you have to contend with - take good rain gear is my advice. Also early in the year lightweight thermal underwear is always a good idea so that you can wear additiona layers and remove them if the temperature rises. But as I said you may also need sunscreen.
I wuould like to start from Tui at 9 of May for 8 days. What could be the weather at that time??

Hi!
Weather predictions are always dodgy but I would suggest that in May it will probably be comfortably warm, I have nearly always found Vigo to be warm and t-shirty, more so than other towns in Galicia. However being Galicia it is sure to rain somewhere!
Sue

I trust that you started as planned and are now enjoying your walk, I'd be interested in how you got on as we are looking at doing this route later this year. We've walked both the Camino Francés and Vía de la Plata, including going on to Finisterre and are interested in trying the Portugues Way . We did a prelim check on it when last in Europe and it looks good. However while we normally go in European Autumn, this year we may not get away till early November so would be interested in hearing how you got on. :twisted:

Hi Bina,
i walked last may from the 8-th till the 16th, and it was wet!!! every day with rain, just the final ones in Santiago were a gift: sunny and warm, around 16-22 degrees celsius. on the walk it was like colder mornings, warming up till 14 degrees celsius, in between the showers.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.