• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

February start on the Via Gebenensis

CaminoRookie

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebenensis (2015)
Hey there pilgrims,

So I'm going to be starting my Camino in February from Geneva. The route I'm planning will take me through Le Puy and then you all know the story from there. I'm fully aware of the cold, with a bit of luck though it won't dip below freezing for too many nights and by the time I'm in Spain spring should be nicely on its way. I don't really have a set schedule thankfully, which frees me quite a bit and if I'm hit with some really inclement weather I can take cover for a day. I'm aware that most accommodation will be closed at the beginning of my trip, which is why I'm taking a flat tarp (Terra Nova Competition 1) with me as a shelter when I need to sleep outdoors. I have significant experience with this (Finnish military) but I'm curious if anyone else here has experience doing the Camino sans-toit as it were. I'm also a fit 25 year old (will celebrate my 26th birthday on the walk which should be fun) and I'll be carrying a 60L pack with a Trangia cooker and other assorted backpacking gear. I'd appreciate any hints or comments from those that have done this or anyone that hasn't with useful ideas. Thank you in advance and Buen Camino 2015!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Your highest elevations will be the first three days from Geneva, and then the two weeks starting 3 days before Le Puy. I would anticipate snow in these sections, which may obscure the trail. That is, in the sections where it actually is trail. But two-thirds of the route (after Le Puy at least) is farm tracks and back roads.

This being the low season, the local tourism offices should have more time available to help with calling ahead to make bookings. Also your innkeeper today would be a wonderful resource for calling ahead to make tomorrow night's booking; they're generally quite aware of who is open, (or says they're open but actually off visiting children elsewhere etc) in their vicinity. Once you get to Le Puy, MMD picks up coverage for lodgings, but again just because an establishment plans to be open doesn't necessarily translate into actuality. Also, many establishments have Web listings these days, so you can possibly make reservations by email.

Getting supplies may be an issue. In the smaller towns, bakeries and markets may be closed seasonally -- the smallest places are already losing these businesses altogether. So you may want to (1) carry more supplies - 3 to 4 days rather than 1 or 2 days' worth, and (2) check with your next night's host as to supply availability when you call for booking. With your youth and fitness, the extra weight necessary shouldn't be an issue for you.

If you can handle field exercises in the Finnish winter, you can surely handle the Aubrac plateau. Bon chemin and keep us posted on your experience!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey there pilgrims,

So I'm going to be starting my Camino in February from Geneva. The route I'm planning will take me through Le Puy and then you all know the story from there. I'm fully aware of the cold, with a bit of luck though it won't dip below freezing for too many nights and by the time I'm in Spain spring should be nicely on its way. I don't really have a set schedule thankfully, which frees me quite a bit and if I'm hit with some really inclement weather I can take cover for a day. I'm aware that most accommodation will be closed at the beginning of my trip, which is why I'm taking a flat tarp (Terra Nova Competition 1) with me as a shelter when I need to sleep outdoors. I have significant experience with this (Finnish military) but I'm curious if anyone else here has experience doing the Camino sans-toit as it were. I'm also a fit 25 year old (will celebrate my 26th birthday on the walk which should be fun) and I'll be carrying a 60L pack with a Trangia cooker and other assorted backpacking gear. I'd appreciate any hints or comments from those that have done this or anyone that hasn't with useful ideas. Thank you in advance and Buen Camino 2015!
Hi what a great adventure ahead of you. Kitsambler's post is most informative and the only thing I would add is make sure you get an up to date copy of the little accommodation booklet brought out by the Amis de St Jaques as it contains a list of private hosts you can stay with for a donation. You have to send off for it. I will try and find the details for you.

Thank you very much for the advice Kitsambler! Gittiharre, I really appreciate your help getting the details on the accommodation booklet. I've ordered FFRA topographical maps for the whole route and of course the legendary Miam-Miam. Reading around on the forums it seems that camping out doesn't seem to be much of a problem from a legal or practical standpoint, but I do suspect that after a week of that I'll be looking for warmth and some company so I plan on using accommodation when I can find it. In Finland we had the advantage of being able to make fires pretty much whenever we had the chance and "the enemy" wasn't around. I know that legally making a fire in the open in France is quite a big no-no, and finding firewood could be tricky as it isn't terribly forested along the way, so the indoors will definitely appeal after a while. Kitsambler, I'll definitely be carrying a minimum of four days' supplies, stocking up whenever I find a store to make sure I keep that minimum. I really appreciate the encouragement and the news that people are as helpful as I've come to hope. Having spent some time in rural France (not quite in this way though) in the past I've learned to trust in the rural French as a wonderful and helpful people. My plan currently is to also bring some heavier clothing to get me through February before spring starts in March and then shipping that off home somewhere around SJPP. Thank you for the encouragement and advice! I must say this forum is a really lovely community of people.

Hi, looks you are having the basics covered. Have a look at my website (in forum signature) I have walked the Via Gebenensis as part of my pilgrimage from Prague to Santiago last year. Any questions you might have or things I could help with - just ask. Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey there pilgrims,

Here is the link to where you can order the yellow guidebook, it is very valuable. I stayed in several of the donativo private accommodations, which was a lovely experience. Regards, Gitti
http://chemins.amis-st-jacques.org/?page_id=6

Hello CR
I have just finished the Geneva to STJdC. I left Geneva on April 30th and on May 14th hiked through a blizzard in the Aubrac with blowing snow and cold -4 and as fearsome as any which I have experienced in Canada. The GOOD part was that it only lasted about 4 hours, then the clouds parted and that glorious yellow ball in the sky shone down and sort of warmed up the day.
There is a lot of forest along the route - if I knew how to add photos to the message I would, and you would think they were taken here on Vancouver Island or even in Finland! I actually heard the song of the chainsaw one day and had to shake my head that I was actually in France and not at home.
Most of the Gites/Chambres d'Otes/Pensions said they were open all year and other than the first day day out of Geneva after Neydans most small towns/villages have shops open all year - at least that is what they told me.
The book Chemin de Saint-Jacques de Geneve au Puy-en-Velay which I had mailed to me before I left was in fact available in several stores in Geneva. I believe one was Globetrotter? You could give them a call. It's a good walk and one which I plan to walk parts of again.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back