• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Fed Up...

RichardF

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances ( 2016 )
Just had a day break in Pamplona and about to spend my second night before heading to Puenta la Reina/ Gares. Bored off my trolley, fed up and depressed. 18 months of prep and no idea why I'm here. Zubiri to Pamplona was fine but so far everything else has just been very unpleasant.

Might check out of this experience...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm sorry things aren't up to your expectations Richard. I hope things get better for you and work out to your satisfaction.

Buen Camino what ever you decide.

Mike

So sorry Richard. Maybe hang in another day or two. The hardest days are over. One more hill and things really do get easier.

But if you decide to leave, I support you. It's been a difficult Camino year for me as well.

Maybe go walk a different route?

Whatever you decide, Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just had a day break in Pamplona and about to spend my second night before heading to Puenta la Reina/ Gares. Bored off my trolley, fed up and depressed. 18 months of prep and no idea why I'm here. Zubiri to Pamplona was fine but so far everything else has just been very unpleasant.

Oh, Richard, I'm there with you in spirit while you do some soul searching. I'm sending positive thoughts your way. Whatever you decide, you will still be on Camino. :)

Hi Richard, So sorry to hear this.
It's a hard decision to make , or continue your journey or stop.
Wish you all the wisdom to make this decision.
Wish you well and God bless, Peter.

Hi Richard, I walked the Camino last year with my daughter and brother in law. I was 59 years old when I walked. I had some difficult days, not physically but mentally. I'm not a religious man, but something kept me going. Perhaps the searching for something is more important than the finding. Someone told me that the Camino is like the walk through your life. I want more than anything to go back and do it again.
Hope it goes well for you my friend.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

So sorry Richard. It must be hard to feel like you are so let down by the experience, after planning and preparing for so long. Are you walking alone? Can you find someone to talk to? Try some music or looking around for someone you can help, who might be having a hard time too. Are you injured? This kind of scares me, as I am starting out Thursday from SJPP. It sounds like you are just going through the stages of adjustment that someone posted about. Hang in a few more days. Do some praying and singing and a few dance steps to entertain yourself. Hang on......

Richard
I get it. First camino started fron Cruze de Ferro. Got motion sick from station to start then a snow storm then No room at the Inn. What am I doing here.?
Second camino Napoleon closed due to bad weather so took the Valcarlos route and same again. Poncho shredded, Brierley book pulped and boots and socks sodden. Passport pages stuck together with rain.Are we having a good time? No.
Then it just got better. Realized could see, hear, touch, walk,eat, drink and all moving parts working ,so whats with the Sad face!
For me after dodgy starts it was the
People and the cameradie that made a
Huge difference. After a few days it was nice to link up with others met earlier. As I chugged along I often had a smile on my face and became very happy with the whole experience and thats why I am starting my 3rd Camino this month. Just want to walk, feel the sun wind and rain and be very glad I am able to do it unaided.
Hope things turn around and remember the old Scots saying ' ye're a lang time deid'. You are a long time dead , so enjoy every minute being alive and above ground!
Good Luck and Buen Camino
George

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hope you're doing a little better in these hours since your post. Thanks for sharing how it's going for you and I really wish for you the right conditions arising that will support you on the journey. I imagine there is a lot of support for your experience both on the path and here on the forum... I hope you can feel this as you walk.
Buen Camino,
Leanne

May i ask: what WERE you expecting?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Before I left for my camino last year some friends said to me, never be ashamed of giving up, you don't have to explain yourself to us.
I carried these words with me for six weeks and although I was never near the point of giving up, I had some very challenging days where I was both physically and mentally drained.
I understand your point about being bored during a rest day, some people don't even take them. For me it was about resting and charging the batteries. Was I bored, yes I was but without the 4 rest days I had I'm not so sure that I would have reached my goal.
I can't advise you of what you should do, you know in your own mind how you should proceed, but remember if you are that down then things can only get better.
I wish you all the luck and please let us know how you get on.

When I arrived to Pamplona, I was really, truly, absolutely, definitely exhausted! I barely stumbled up the hill and into the street with albergues, and got the first room I could, as I was about to drop, and it was obvious to all....

I know that if you were feeling like that, you perhaps felt like it wasn't much fun. I found that with rest, some good coffee, tortilla, a visit from @Albertagirl who brought me chocolate and cheered me up, I was able to continue on after a few nights' rest.

Until you find a nice friend or two to check in with, it can be lonely. Put yourself out there a bit, and make an effort to be friendly if you need some companionship!

Buen Camino, and remember--do it your way, and if it's not fun yet, remember your body may still be too exhausted! It will get better if you keep pushing through.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am curious too - what is unpleasant and how are things not living get up to your expectations? That info may help people give advice or just empathize better.

The Camino is really not for everyone.
There is a real disconnect between the great and wonderful memories that are posted and the actual harsh realities of the daily grind.
We tend to forget the bad days and post the good times.

There is a definite trend in posts here and on Facebook from people who are not enjoying the adventure.
I again caution folks to not conjure up a romantic fairytale expectation.

It is often hard and uncomfortable ...and painful at times.

Expect that...and you won't be disappointed.

Bored off my trolley, fed up and depressed. 18 months of prep and no idea why I'm here. Zubiri to Pamplona was fine but so far everything else has just been very unpleasant.

I believe that one of the great lessons to be found in making pilgrimage, at least for our generation, is that not everything is subject to instant gratification; sometimes the gratification is delayed until after the hard work is done, and after idealism yields to reality. In my opinion, I think it would be a great loss for you to "check out" because of boredom, depression, unpleasant situations, and a lack of clarity in purpose. Sometimes the richest veins of gold require extensive mining (and no little hardship) to get to them, and sometimes we find them when we're digging for something else.

So, as many above have said, take one more day, and then one more after that, and just like with the landscape itself, slow progress will yield new horizons, new landscapes, new insights.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Richard,

I'll be starting the Camino in the coming weeks and I like your honesty. But I have trekked the Annapurna circuit in Nepal twice and on both occasions, there were moments when I questioned why I even bothered going at the first place. Although I'm aware that the Himalayas and Camino is different, I believe the process is somewhat similar. You literally and purposefully walked into discomfort and the only way to get out of it seems to only be through it and that sucks.

The daily routine of walking that seems to take forever, the compromised comfort even hygiene can easily get into our head when the going gets tough. Even a joke can seem annoying. Well, the hard truth is that it's never better than home. No where on this world is. Problem with new places is that people speak and show pictures of just the better side so the ugly side can be a surprise and often times overwhelming. The only reason we leave our comfort back home for a trip like this, is to search for better, regardless. So everyone has some kind of expectations although the agenda may differ. Don't beat yourself up on this.

What I found worked for me is to remove the focus from the destination of the day nor wishing for specifics. Try to enjoy the walk, see more, smell, hear and yes, think. Be curious. Talk to yourself too (why not?) and never never expect yourself to be the same as others. They have their days, and you have yours. Be grateful for the little things, even the fact that you are actually there and breathing. Most importantly, deeply believe that "this too, will be over" in a matter of time and soon, you'll be at your comfy place looking back and wishing there's another trip coming up soon because you miss the good sides.

It's hard but try to stay calm. It's like telling a desperate drowning person to stay calm. Be kind and gentle with yourself and take your time. The slower you go, the more you will enjoy the walk. It's going to end anyway so might as well soak it in while you can. "After all, there's no trophy waiting at the finishing line". That's my personal motivations I'm sharing with you.

Lastly, take care.

What a beautiful, supportive forum!
Stick it a little longer, Richard.
If you decide to give up - there's no shame in that: we don't tend to walk the camino for penance these days! I have given up twice - once due to continuous rain, day after day after day: the second time because of blisters that needed hospital treatment.
Don't worry: relax: the camino won't go away, and you can always return another day .... maybe another route.
Blessings from [sunny] East Anglia in the UK.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

No problems with that, there is a time and place for everything; and Camino expectations can spiral out of control with all the hype. Good luck and if you do continue, Buen Camino! And if not, Good luck!

Give it a little more time. What exactly has made the experience so unpleasant? I met a man two years ago in Hornillos who was ready call it a day. He and I and a third party hung around for the day, had a nice dinner and parted company. I watched out for him over the next couple of days and we were reunited. We met up later the far side of Fromista and he was having the time of his life. Do what you need to do.

Richard, if this is not your time, then perhaps it is time to think about formulating your Plan B. It could be like reading a book and realising part-way through, that it's really not what you were expecting. There is little point on grinding away at something just to say you read it or did it or impress someone else. I think sometimes it takes more courage to stand up and work out you really want. Good luck. And buen camino if you do decide to continue.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
... 18 months of prep and no idea why I'm here. ...

sorry to hear this, but basically Camino, also known as The Way, is a walk. walking a number of days in row with a particular aim. if you did not set it in advance, it will definitely crystallise a little later, let say by the time you reach Sahagun.
apparently the reality today is not matching your expectations about having good time, so your call is whether all this hassle is worth the sense of accomplishment and finding out why you walked to the end.
just a warning here, if you decide to continue, you will never be the same person who started the Camino ...

Last edited:

Hang in for a while longer, Richard. I find the first few days and the last few days on the Camino Frances to be very different than the rest. In the beginning, your body is getting used to walking long distances daily, you are likely tired and trying to figure out the daily rhythm of your walk and Camino routines. When I have walked from St. Jean to Roncesvalles to Zubiri to Pamplona, I haven't felt really 'in' the Camino--each town is so very different and impersonal. Wait until you have walked another four or five days through (and stayed in) smaller, quieter, friendlier towns. The terrain will be easier, you will be stronger, your days' routines will become more familiar, you will make friends, and you just might really enjoy the experience. For me, the Camino really begins in Puente La Reina...a beautiful, historic, friendly town, and it just gets better after that.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Enough, enough of this sympathy!!!!

Richard, the experience that you feel aren't experiencing is the experience!! You have only just started, just a few days in, yet you are already treating it in a "well, this is dull, I'll take a couple of days off here and be a tourist" way ..... it isn't an event to entertain you it is an experience to surrender to ... you are still trapped in the old world you are supposed to have left behind - you are connected to the internet for a start.
Stop thinking about how it should be ... stop wanting to be gratified ... .. Richard, stop thinking about how it should be and go and walk it.

Switch your phone off, stay away from the internet, don't play music ... and just walk along, every day ......

A.S. Neill, who ran a school over here some decades ago used to love it when a child told him they were bored - they went to him and said that so that he would provide a diversion or entertainment .. he did the opposite .. told them that being bored was a great thing and that they should go off and really be bored, and eventually they would stop being bored and start to do things that they enjoyed - it is the same thing here Richard - you thought you were going to be entertained and now you are bored .. well, here is the thing .. you are alone and therefore the you that is bored is boring - is it not?? So go off and be bored and eventually you won't be able to stand being that so you will start the enjoy the absolute amazingness of what you are doing! - start to notice the blossom on the trees, the animals, the birds circling, the hilarious sound your boots make dragging them out of deep mud.. the wonderful taste of simple food when you are hungry .. the conversations you can strike up, the people you can help, the laughter you can share ...

you are alone with no diversions .. there is only you and your mind (and the universe in all its utter ridiculous glory) - suck it down .. breathe .. live ..
... so go on, start putting one foot in front of the other again and maybe, just maybe, you will change your life and attitude to life forever.

and you cannot get an experience better than that now, can you! ;)

Buen Camino Richard.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you are shorting yourself on hydration, nutrition, sleep, pack weight, or community connection every day, even a little, then the deficit really accumulates and shows up on that third or fourth day. So tend to those needs - your difficulty may be the Voice of the Camino, saying that you are not in charge here.

You came to the Camino expecting change in your life (otherwise you would have done something different with this time and these resources) - any change is difficult. Persevere through the hard times; accept the encouragement and support of others on the way. Their challenges are different but you are all walking together.

Wishing you wholeness,

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Richard !
Please don't go before reading what other pilgrims told you in this page , then take your decision according with your own experience.
But remember than the Sun shines after the clouds are gone , never is always winter , nor always summer .
Buen Camino!

I don't know what you expected in the first place, Richard and I don't know either what made you feel that way now....
Unlike the previous posters (all so nice and encouraging - btw what a wonderful lot of people :cool:), I'd say give up then. You're an adult, you feel it isn't for you....Then go and do something else :)
Buen camino of life, wherever it takes you.

Yeah ...I recall getting to Pamplona and feeling like I hit a wall. Most of us walk from SJPdP to Pamplona in three days ... and are exhausted physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Try walking 10 km days instead of 30 km.

First week is Camino boot camp. ..I was so surprised about all the things being so different to what I thought it would be...however this is what kept me going...just wanting to know what's next..because you never know what is around the corner.

Wishing you magical days ahead, ultreia!

Richard, the experience that you feel aren't experiencing is the experience!! You have only just started, just a few days in, yet you are already treating it in a "well, this is dull, I'll take a couple of days off here and be a tourist" way ..... it isn't an event to entertain you it is an experience to surrender to ... you are still trapped in the old world you are supposed to have left behind - you are connected to the internet for a start.
Stop thinking about how it should be ... stop wanting to be gratified ... .. Richard, stop thinking about how it should be and go and walk it.

Switch your phone off, stay away from the internet, don't play music ... and just walk along, every day ......

A.S. Neill, who ran a school over here some decades ago used to love it when a child told him they were bored - they went to him and said that so that he would provide a diversion or entertainment .. he did the opposite .. told them that being bored was a great thing and that they should go off and really be bored, and eventually they would stop being bored and start to do things that they enjoyed - it is the same thing here Richard - you thought you were going to be entertained and now you are bored .. well, here is the thing .. you are alone and therefore the you that is bored is boring - is it not?? So go off and be bored and eventually you won't be able to stand being that so you will start the enjoy the absolute amazingness of what you are doing! - start to notice the blossom on the trees, the animals, the birds circling, the hilarious sound your boots make dragging them out of deep mud.. the wonderful taste of simple food when you are hungry .. the conversations you can strike up, the people you can help, the laughter you can share ...

you are alone with no diversions .. there is only you and your mind (and the universe in all its utter ridiculous glory) - suck it down .. breathe .. live ..
... so go on, start putting one foot in front of the other again and maybe, just maybe, you will change your life and attitude to life forever.

Buen Camino Richard.
Very well put - thanks David! and especially for sharing about A.S.Neill - Triple-Like :D:)

when a child told him they were bored

I remember saying "I'm bored" to my mom when I was young - she replied "Bored?? there is ALWAYS plenty to do!" and when I inquired as to "what??".... it always involved housework. Ugghhh....I did not make a habit of repeating THAT statement to her.

For me boredom is a signal that my focus has drifted inward - there is no outside stimulus and thoughts move inward.
Boredom becomes the signal or red flag that says "find something outside of yourself" because I am usually not wanting to feel or think about what is going on within me.
Typically I am not at peace and there is usually something I don't want to think about or feel, or something I need to embrace and don't want to. Just a personal thought....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Camino is optional. Don't do it if you don't "enjoy" it. ("Enjoy" probably does not mean that every moment is fun or pain-free.) Think about your original inspiration to go. If you can't find it, grab a bus and enjoy Spain. Lots of Forum Members have felt the inspiration and endured the hard times. The pilgrims who did not do that are no longer on the Forum. Hence, we will hear lots of inspiration and nothing from those who feel the way you do. Life is too short to do things because others do them. Do what you want. :)

Richard you never really said what is the exact problem? Did you have different expectations? Were you seeking answers to something? Maybe you are unclear of your motivations? Can you articulate more so maybe we can offer help more preciaely

Well, thank you everyone for your inspiring posts! :) Truly wonderful and supportive advice!

I HAVE stayed with it - and glad I did... Now in Puenta la Reina at a great albergue ( Jakue ) with a couple of good companions and just had a great day over the Alto de Perdon and a beautiful, sunny walk on to Puenta!

Thanks everyone who took time to reply - think I just hit that Pamplona 'wall'

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hang in for a while longer, Richard. I find the first few days and the last few days on the Camino Frances to be very different than the rest. In the beginning, your body is getting used to walking long distances daily, you are likely tired and trying to figure out the daily rhythm of your walk and Camino routines. When I have walked from St. Jean to Roncesvalles to Zubiri to Pamplona, I haven't felt really 'in' the Camino--each town is so very different and impersonal. Wait until you have walked another four or five days through (and stayed in) smaller, quieter, friendlier towns. The terrain will be easier, you will be stronger, your days' routines will become more familiar, you will make friends, and you just might really enjoy the experience. For me, the Camino really begins in Puente La Reina...a beautiful, historic, friendly town, and it just gets better after that.

Thank you, MaryLynn - your post didn't just help me but two other pilgrims! We're all now in Puenta la Reina! :-D

Well, thank you everyone for your inspiring posts! :) Truly wonderful and supportive advice!

I HAVE stayed with it - and glad I did... Now in Puenta la Reina at a great albergue ( Jakue ) with a couple of good companions and just had a great day over the Alto de Perdon and a beautiful, sunny walk on to Puenta!

Brilliant!!! So happy for you :):):) And thanks for letting us know, too!

Richard when you get to Navarrete, go see Michael at Albergue Pilgrim and talk to him. He is a Pilgrim who owns the Albergue and the restaurant next to it. He's German, very pleasant to talk to and excellent food. He'll lift up your spirit

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

That is SO wonderful and you can't know how happy I am for you and to hear of this (as I leave on Sunday). I, too, will "stick with it!"
What a great post!

@RichardF , hi and pleased you have "moved forward" in a number of ways.

I have been on the way since 6th April (from Le Puy in central south France) and have also bridled at the apparent boredom from the basic sameness of each day.- get up, have breakfast, walk, have lunch, arrive, wash clothes and/or self, have dinner, sleep, repeat.

We are all different and, even though I am an extreme introvert, I try my best to chat with at least one walker a day to find out where they are from and why they are here. Sometimes they even get a mention in my daily blog (currently about two weeks behind)

I am pleased to hear of your safe arrival in Punta La Reina.

Through straining some right thigh muscles on the descent from Sierra del Perdon, I have had two full days in Barcelona and am now fully Gaudi'ed out and intend to restart from Logrono on Tuesday afternoon.

We may even get to ask one another why we are here.

Buen Camino
Ultrieia et Esuseia
Kia kaha

Last edited:

Yeah!! happy dance!!!!x

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

So Happy for you!! I actually shouted and clapped my hands (scared my dogs):D when I read that you kept with it and are now having a good time with good companions. Yippity Skittpity!!!

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more, MaryLynn - from Puente la Reina it seems to just fall into place! I'm awfully glad to have walked that first week with you in 2014 though...!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Richard, that's great news.
Wish you well, Peter.

Hehe I really loved that section out of Pamplona too :D

Keep going Richard. There's so many more amazing experiences to go!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
good to hear things have improved! Indeed the Camino is like that.

Suddenly, you have nothing to do all day (other than walking and finding some food and a bed) and you have lots of time to do nothing, to me that is one the beauties of the Camino, but maybe it is not up to everyone.

In any case, buen camino, be careful and patiend, not the best weather these days!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Glad you have found your feet!! Enjoy from now on! Next time try the via Frangegina. We are on it at the moment and today a guy asked us if we were looking for the hospital!! Well I know I was staggering a bit but but I didn't know I looked that bad!! We are past Lucca, past Siena and past somewhere!! I have lost track of days, dates and time but sometimes that's not a bad thing!! Mindless walking is good for the soul at times as we have found so enjoy your trip. Annette

Hi Richard,
Please don't give up. You've got this....

Huge Smiles and encouragement from California!

Leora

Buen Camino Richard.

For me this is a brilliantly wise post. Thank you

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Richard, so glad to hear you were more content on Monday. How's it going now (if you're even online anymore!)? I really like the saying, "Remember in the darkness what you learned in the light." If things get rough again hope all of this wise veteran counsel can still settle in your heart and you can keep going :). Take care and have a wonderful, blessed Camino!
Take care,
Faith

What a great group of folks are on this site. Great encouragement, advice and most importantly NO JUDGEMENT whether you choose to stay or go home to pursue another "life Camino". Nice to know if I hit a wall and need a pick me up I can come here. The world should go on a Camino.

We are a society of instant everything. I walked my first Camino in 2010. I had great expectations. Softly the path, energy, magic, Mother Earth, lay lines, God, the Universe, or all of the above opened my heart, soul and mind to an experience both microscopic and cosmic.
My gratitude for:
Reduction of packed excess, needs, worries, expectations.
Increase in communication with birds, common animals.. Cows on the path, chickens pecking around a kilometer post, noticing the geometric detail of wild flowers and smells of the forest.
Singing half-remembered songs especially in the echo acoustics of culverts under roadways. (Someone should compile a Camino Songbook)
Meeting my internal self of the heart who has stellar ideas that are normally drowned out by my external head chatter, clutter, and distraction. Now, that was a delightful surprise.
I just completed my 3rd Camino and slip easily into my Camino self now. I named my disorder as O.S.S. , Over-Stimulus Syndrome from the life I left behind. Chaos, utter confusion, got replaced with celebration of heart shaped rocks found every time I needed something to give my steps a little more energy.
If I got out of the Camino what I thought I wanted, I would have negated the abundance that keeps expanding my experience far past walking into Santiago or ending the Camino at Finisterra. So suspend the judge and critic, and relax. Blessings. Elin

€149,-
I believe that one of the great lessons to be found in making pilgrimage, at least for our generation, is that not everything is subject to instant gratification; sometimes the gratification is delayed until after the hard work is done, and after idealism yields to reality. In my opinion, I think it would be a great loss for you to "check out" because of boredom, depression, unpleasant situations, and a lack of clarity in purpose. Sometimes the richest veins of gold require extensive mining (and no little hardship) to get to them, and sometimes we find them when we're digging for something else.

So, as many above have said, take one more day, and then one more after that, and just like with the landscape itself, slow progress will yield new horizons, new landscapes, new insights.

So beautifully said- and truly helpful as we leave in 33 days and the unreal feeling has turned to nervousness has turned to a bit of fear. thank you koilife!

Hi Richard, sorry that things aren't going well for you. Maybe give it another day before deciding what you should do?

You might find some helpful advice on these recent threads.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/help-me-feel-the-magic.39985/#post-403885
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/waiting-for-the-euphoria.40076/#post-405371

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Don't give up! I had days when I wondered why I was there. It gets better, and different, and then suddenly worse, then its better. You never know what tomorrow will bring nor where you will sleep, or what the trail is like over the hill... this unknown without pre booked accommodation etc, makes it an adventure. You regret what you don't do and will always ask yousrself, what if I had....?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Well to much build up and expectation. If you don't like it stop after all you are an adult.

My husband and I did the camino last year...We went with no expectations except to finish the pilgrimage...so we didn't have any disappointments, we looked at everyday as an experience, and every experience was an experience unto itself...some days were exceptional (especially when we found a delicious pasteria) and some days were just days, quiet and contemplative...take the day for what it is going to give you...and enjoy...

Hey Richard;
Your post caused me to get out my Camino diary. I did the Frances May of 2014 and also took a rest day in Pamplona. I was pumped like a teenager for the first few days but realized how alone I was at about 2 in the afternoon. Now it wasn't really that bad as I was having beer and bocadillo in wonderful plaza in the sunshine. However, it seemed every other pilgrim had moved on and I was left behind. With that day of rest I ripped out of Pamplona the next morning and burned the trail to Puenta La Reina. I had a great walk and met some great people but that evening I came down with a cold. Just moved to fast and under estimated the toll the first week takes. The next day I was miserable and somewhat depressed however I stuck to it, met some good friends and am now planning to do the Norte/Primitivo next year. As you have discovered, some of the most important lessons of the Camino are offered in the first week.
Buen Camino all.

Richard sorry to hear your Camino is not as expected perhaps hang in another few days before you opt out. God speed whatever you decide.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hey Richard, I would like to share my experience with you from last year. After two days, I was ready to go home. I also had no idea why I was doing the Camino. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong. By the third day, I started to meet some angels that helped me get back on my feet. Richard, I managed to walk to the end of the earth. I never did figure out why I was doing the Camino, but I figured out what the Camino was doing for me. Enjoy yourself Richard. There will come a time when you are not going to want the Camino to end.

Saying a prayer for you.

Hi Richard, So sorry to hear this.
It's a hard decision to make , or continue your journey or stop.
Wish you all the wisdom to make this decision.
Wish you well and God bless, Peter.
I am on two Journey's one I have no choice and cannot stop that it's the loss of my son the other is I'm currently on the Camino and I'm in the Journey of it right now, in the meseta, one day at a time one step at a time one breath at a time; look at the little things the beauty of what is around you that men did not create take a breath and see that beauty and maybe that will keep you going. I know it is helping me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am on two Journey's one I have no choice and cannot stop that it's the loss of my son the other is I'm currently on the Camino and I'm in the Journey of it right now, in the meseta, one day at a time one step at a time one breath at a time; look at the little things the beauty of what is around you that men did not create take a breath and see that beauty and maybe that will keep you going. I know it is helping me.
Sorry to hear about the loss of your son.
It must be hart especially when you are alone and mabe far from home.
For me to express my feelings in writing is hard sometimes because English is not my native language and I am scared to write something down that's missing the point. I will try anyway.
I admire people like yourself who make a journey like the Camino during the hard time there in.
My wife experience almost the same on here Camino in 2013, a few months before she went to SJPdP here sister died.
It was a psychical and mantely heavy 5 weeks with ups and downs.
When you feel that you want a listening ear you can sent me pm.
Wish you all the best for the future and God bless, Peter.

Read the whole thread! The OP has long since moved on. All is well and everyone is happy. :):):)
Happens all the time here on this forum that posters don't read the thread from the beginning. I do, because what good is there if I post the same info or advice for the second time, ahm??? But I guess some are so eager to help that they repeat what has been said 10 times already :rolleyes:
Nevertheless they feel good doing it so and maybe even the OP feels the same.

Happens all the time here on this forum that posters don't read the thread from the beginning. I do, because what good is there if I post the same info or advice for the second time, ahm??? But I guess some are so eager to help that they repeat what has been said 10 times already :rolleyes:
Nevertheless they feel good doing it so and maybe even the OP feels the same.
Lots of people posting to the dreadful walk, awful people thread didn't read the first tongue in cheek post, and tried to cheer up the OP, or tell why he was wrong.

Last edited:

Do it. I'm a day ahead of you. It's beautiful. Connect with people you will find camino angels read www.Caminomama.com. if I can keep going you can too!

Hey Richard I hope you hanged in there and are doing better, in my opinion it takes about two weeks to stop being depressed, piss off about your inconsiderate albergues mates, the eating cheese and bread and some crap they call yogurt, the aches the pains, the frustration about the rain etc etc so hang in there, mind you will not get any better it just takes about two weeks for your brain to say "hey Richard, I don't give a s^&" :)

Have fun and Buen Camino

Zzotte

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.