• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feedback on Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX boots?

• Thread starter Deleted member 43985
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 43985

Hi Everyone - just updating some gear before my January departure and looking at new winter boots. Has anyone got any feedback (good or bad) on the Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX boots? I've worn Lowa Renegade GTX Mid's for last 5 years but either my foot is changing or the boot is changing but either way, they just don't seem to be working for me now so time for a change.

Thanks in advance,
Jordon

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I wore the gtx mids and they were so comfortable and nary a blister. I did get a rock bruise on the bottom of my right foot coming down from pilgrim statues sat Pamplona. Dragged me for 2 weeks so the soles could be firmer but otherwise a great choice for me

I wore the gtx mids and they were so comfortable and nary a blister. I did get a rock bruise on the bottom of my right foot coming down from pilgrim statues sat Pamplona. Dragged me for 2 weeks so the soles could be firmer but otherwise a great choice for me
Thanks for that James. I've read similar things online. Do you think a better, beefier insole would have made the difference?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Everyone - just updating some gear before my January departure and looking at new winter boots. Has anyone got any feedback (good or bad) on the Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX boots? I've worn Lowa Renegade GTX Mid's for last 5 years but either my foot is changing or the boot is changing but either way, they just don't seem to be working for me now so time for a change.

Thanks in advance,
Jordon
It's a great boot. I use the Vasque St. Elias for backpacking here in the frozen North. I considered the Solomon's but I wanted a wide size and Vasque had them. My husband uses Lowa and he made a comment that his foot didn't seem to fit quite the same anymore. Don't know if it's manufacturing or just that as we've gotten older our feet have grown a bit wider :) I know my first backpacking boots, also Vasques, were a size 8. Now, 20 years later I had to buy a size 9 1/2 wide. I'm only 5'3 1/2 and not overweight. So I think it's that my feet have just changed from all the walking.

Salomon's are a great boot. Just make sure you break them in and be sure they really fit.

Thanks for that James. I've read similar things online. Do you think a better, beefier insole would have made the difference?
Just for that instance. My first Camino so I was a little sheepish going downhill. But I would say they were the greatest. Lightweight waterproof to a degree.. it poured for a couple of days lol

Hi Jozero,
I have the x ultra mid GTX's which are really the 3-season version. They also have Salomon's own Ortholite insole fitted and it's the first time in many years I haven't swapped the provided insole for a Sorbothane one. They are perfect as they are - just incredibly comfy for hours and hours. I use them for more technical walking where you have to be certain you won't slide off a wet narrow sloping path into nowhere. I think that in about one more year the soles will be sufficiently worn for them to be reassigned for camino work...
I'd expect the Ortholites to be fitted on your boots, but worth checking as they're not on all of their shoes.
One thing to watch is that there is a hook on the ankle rather than an eyelet, presumably to speed up lacing. But a couple of times on narrow paths when my legs have brushed against each other, the lace from one shoe has snagged on the inside hook of the other shoe - with stumbling consequences. I've learnt to adjust to that.
In short, my GTXs are the best serious hiking shoe design I've ever used and I'll get them again if they're still making them when these are worn through. But no matter how many glowing online testimonials they garner, there's no substitute for actually trying them before buying them.
Cheers, tom

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Jozero,
I have the x ultra mid GTX's which are really the 3-season version. They also have Salomon's own Ortholite insole fitted and it's the first time in many years I haven't swapped the provided insole for a Sorbothane one. They are perfect as they are - just incredibly comfy for hours and hours. I use them for more technical walking where you have to be certain you won't slide off a wet narrow sloping path into nowhere. I think that in about one more year the soles will be sufficiently worn for them to be reassigned for camino work...
I'd expect the Ortholites to be fitted on your boots, but worth checking as they're not on all of their shoes.
One thing to watch is that there is a hook on the ankle rather than an eyelet, presumably to speed up lacing. But a couple of times on narrow paths when my legs have brushed against each other, the lace from one shoe has snagged on the inside hook of the other shoe - with stumbling consequences. I've learnt to adjust to that.
In short, my GTXs are the best serious hiking shoe design I've ever used and I'll get them again if they're still making them when these are worn through. But no matter how many glowing online testimonials they garner, there's no substitute for actually trying them before buying them.
Cheers, tom
Thanks for the feedback, Tom. I've been using the X Ultra GTX shoes for some time and really enjoy them but was thinking to beef it up with the Quest 4D 2 GTX boots for winter. I'm pretty sure they have the same insole but the online info I read leads me to think these are a little stiff and more ankle support than the X Ultra GTX Mids. I'm one of the larger fellows so sounded like the extra support wouldn't be a bad thing but the good thing is that I'm pretty sure the shoes and mid will fit the same so I've got that in my back pocket if I need it. thx again.

It's a great boot. I use the Vasque St. Elias for backpacking here in the frozen North. I considered the Solomon's but I wanted a wide size and Vasque had them. My husband uses Lowa and he made a comment that his foot didn't seem to fit quite the same anymore. Don't know if it's manufacturing or just that as we've gotten older our feet have grown a bit wider :) I know my first backpacking boots, also Vasques, were a size 8. Now, 20 years later I had to buy a size 9 1/2 wide. I'm only 5'3 1/2 and not overweight. So I think it's that my feet have just changed from all the walking.

Salomon's are a great boot. Just make sure you break them in and be sure they really fit.
Thanks for that feedback! Yup, seems like we have the same 'growth' condition... I'm also convinced there's a conspiracy by shoe makers to change the sizing from years past as I'm almost 3 sizes different that in my youth. I'll check out the Vasque boots as well since I still have enough time to break in a stiffer pair of boots.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for that feedback! Yup, seems like we have the same 'growth' condition... I'm also convinced there's a conspiracy by shoe makers to change the sizing from years past as I'm almost 3 sizes different that in my youth. I'll check out the Vasque boots as well since I still have enough time to break in a stiffer pair of boots.
I forgot to mention that I also have custom orthotics made specifically for my feet (I suffer from plantar fasciitis and tend to over pronate). Not the off the shelf stuff. There's a huge difference in support (and price). My health insurance covers orthotics made by a podiatrist, so you might want to look into that if you have any foot issues.

GTXs are super comfortable but every pair I have owned have split around the beginning of the big toe area. I now ensure any shoes have extra support or material around there.

GTXs are super comfortable but every pair I have owned have split around the beginning of the big toe area. I now ensure any shoes have extra support or material around there.
Hmmm... interesting. Are you able to guesstimate how many Kim's/miles you put on before that happened? I've not read about that in the newer models but I'm sure at least half of the reviews I've read are sponsored. Thanks for your feedback.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Seemed like the majority of feedback was positive so went ahead with the purchase and took the boots out for their first 10k walk yesterday. All of my expectations were exceeded. My last new boots were Lowas and I swore I'd never had such a comfortable boot out of the box... until now. The Salomons were amazing. The higher support for the ankles was noticeable but the best was the cushioning but still having the rigidity of the midsole/outsole as I walked over rock. Where I could feel the rocks in my Lowas and Salomon X Ultra shoes, the Quest's ability to soak that up was great. I think this will vastly reduce foot fatigue over the long days. Also, not a huge revelation but happy to report the Gor-Tex did its job and after 2 hours of rain my feet came back bone dry. I'll get these boots well broken in and put them away until January. Thanks to all who sent some great feedback!
Jordon

Seemed like the majority of feedback was positive so went ahead with the purchase and took the boots out for their first 10k walk yesterday. All of my expectations were exceeded. My last new boots were Lowas and I swore I'd never had such a comfortable boot out of the box... until now. The Salomons were amazing. The higher support for the ankles was noticeable but the best was the cushioning but still having the rigidity of the midsole/outsole as I walked over rock. Where I could feel the rocks in my Lowas and Salomon X Ultra shoes, the Quest's ability to soak that up was great. I think this will vastly reduce foot fatigue over the long days. Also, not a huge revelation but happy to report the Gor-Tex did its job and after 2 hours of rain my feet came back bone dry. I'll get these boots well broken in and put them away until January. Thanks to all who sent some great feedback!
Jordon
It took 6 hours of sideways rain to get my feet wet in my ultras..lol

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.