• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feeling a bit of panic set in

caminoforme86

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances October 2013 - December 2013
I am doing the Camino from 31st October this year......I booked my flights to start the Camino at the end of July and since then I've not really thought about it, I was walking 8.5km a day intending to incraese that to 17km and then stepping it up to 25km a day. But things got side tracked as I had a birthday trip to Bratislava and Budapest.

Still havn't got back into the walking, intend to start of slow again tomorrow with doing the 8.5km for the remainder of this week and next week doing 17km a day.

But I sometimes wake in a panic not really able to believe that I will do this, my want to do it is so strong I just dont know how I will do it!

I am worried about things like not having my first 2 nights booked in St Jean Pied de Port, and if I don't have anything booked will it be so expensive those first 2 nights. I want to stay 2 as I arrive on the last train and want to make the Pilgrim office.

Worrying about my pack, loneliness, if I will mentally be fit enough and not let worries about who I am leaving at home creep in.

Guess its hitting home that next week when its September I can say I am doing the Camino NEXT MONTH....

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You do not need to be in great shape to successfully walk the entire camino. But you do need to use the first couple of weeks as physical training. You would not go to the gym for the first time and do exhaustion reps all day. You would phase it in. Ditto the camino. Do not try to walk the published stages, and do not try to keep up with pilgrims you meet. If you overdo it, your pilgrimage can end very abruptly.

At the end of October you will not have a problem finding beds anywhere, so do not worry about SJPdP. I think L'Esprit du Chemin closes about then, but there are other albergues and hotels. The Pilgrim Office will help you find one.

If your pack is light, there is nothing to worry about. Toss out everything that you might need, and keep only the items you know you will use every day (except rain gear, which you are likely, but not certain, to need).

You won't be lonely. There will be dozens of other pilgrims each day. You can be alone if you want, though.

Avoid having mental images of what your camino should be. They are far too likely to lead to disappointment, or cause you to do something you should not do.

Buen camino. There is nothing to worry about. Use the nervous energy instead to learn all you can about where you are going.

You do not need to be in great shape to successfully walk the entire camino. But you do need to use the first couple of weeks as physical training. You would not go to the gym for the first time and do exhaustion reps all day. You would phase it in. Ditto the camino. Do not try to walk the published stages, and do not try to keep up with pilgrims you meet. If you overdo it, your pilgrimage can end very abruptly.

At the end of October you will not have a problem finding beds anywhere, so do not worry about SJPdP. I think L'Esprit du Chemin closes about then, but there are other albergues and hotels. The Pilgrim Office will help you find one.

If your pack is light, there is nothing to worry about. Toss out everything that you might need, and keep only the items you know you will use every day (except rain gear, which you are likely, but not certain, to need).

You won't be lonely. There will be dozens of other pilgrims each day. You can be alone if you want, though.

Avoid having mental images of what your camino should be. They are far too likely to lead to disappointment, or cause you to do something you should not do.

Buen camino. There is nothing to worry about. Use the nervous energy instead to learn all you can about where you are going.

Thanks Falcon269,

Thats exactly it I think, with having my parents come over to visit me while I am here in Poland with my boyfriend and then our trip to Bratislava and Budapest I stopped researching all the things I had wanted to about the Camino and it may just be that I need to get back to that!

My pack isn't that light, but its of good quality and very comfortable, Lowe Alpine, its huge as bought it for coming on this Eurotrip, its about 2.4kg empty but I have the knowlegde now of not to over pack it and only take the minimum.

When I set off last November to Prague, I had way too much, but my pack was still only about 11/12kg....but it was full to the brim and full of everything I thought I would need. Having lived out my pack for almost a year now I know that I didn't need almost 2/3rds of it!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Falcon is so right, Caminoforme. Try and relax - the Camino itself will look after you! You are going to have such a wonderful time, and will back on it with pleasure for many years ... in fact you'll probably get the 'camino bug'.
With regard to the back-pack, again - don't worry about it! Keep the total weight to no more than 10% of body weight - ideally less, maybe around 7-8 kg.
So.... don't worry about a thing. It will all sort itself out and you are going to have a great time!
Buen camino!

How I remember and miss that feeling of nervousness knowing how quickly the Camino embraced me and calmed me. It will do the same for you.
Inventory your pack and take only what you need, and then inventory again and eliminate more. Walk at your own pace. The Camino will put people next to you when you need it! Otherwise, enjoy the solitude as a time of reflection.
And put the camera away (or leave at home!) and look with your heart at the gift of the Camino.
You will be just fine in everything. Enjoy!
Monica

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am also walking in October--leaving from St. Jean Oct 9. I have felt a bit panicky also--but I have also been planning. I have never traveled to Europe before--speak a few sentences of French, about the same in Spanish and fewer of German--however even though I am anxious--I know somehow it will work out--and somehow I will be able to walk the Camino and everything will be fine. My experience with anxiety is that it does not produce anything but more anxiety--it is better just to focus on getting back on the track of planning and training and anticipating the experience and all that will be seen, and heard and those new unknown friend that will be met along the way.

The first day out is always a panic. Did I lock the door to my house as I left, do I have enough money in my pockets, will my ATM card work, did I leave my guidebook on the kitchen counter, etc., etc. and then on day two after a 27 km slog over the mountains and a great night's sleep every trace of angst will dissolved in the early morning mist.

I as well am leaving this week Sept 2 and am becoming nervous.Due to family issues I have been unable to walk the past 2 weeks and am nervouse this will work against me!!!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I really cannot add anything else as others on here have provided some great advice. I will say that you have found the Camino now just go in Faith....Some people never find out about it....
Buena suerte. Ed

I leave Friday and although I have been relatively calm, I suddenly haven't been able to sleep. Some excitement, nervousness, anxiety. During the day I seem to regain focus and calm but at night ..... ugghh.... Just keep looking forward to the exhaustion from a good days walk and from being there to put these nerves to rest. Can't wait! Man, falcon always knows the right thing to say. I can't waait for us to share our incredible stories. Buen Camino!

I as well am leaving this week Sept 2 and am becoming nervous.Due to family issues I have been unable to walk the past 2 weeks and am nervouse this will work against me!!!!
I'm leaving Sept 3rd from San Francisco. I'm also a bit nervous, but it's tempered by the excitement of the adventure. I haven't really prepared for this trip. I have only walked a couple of miles a week. However, I bike about 100 miles a week, so I think I'll be okay. I think you'll be fine if you go, as many say, at your own pace. Now that I have bought my plane tickets, reserved a room in Madrid near the airport, perused the bus schedules to Pamplona, and made reservations at the Aloha Hostel I feel more at ease. Buen Camino...Felipe from California

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Before walking the Camino I have never (EVER!) walked more than 5 miles at a time. I did not even "trained" by walking long distances prior to going on the Camino. I did the elliptical machine 3-4 times a week; that was IT. I was nervous, not going to lie, but..guess what? I made it to Roncesvalles in 6-7 hours and felt great. The clue is go slow, IT IS NOT A RACE. You will be amazed of the amount of people that, on this-- the first day, wheez by, like if Santiago is only a couple of days away....HUGE newbie mistake. The best thing that is hapenning to you right now is to be nervous. It will keep you focused. motivated, and on your toes. It will go away, I promise. Just concentrate on taking good care of your feet, STRETCH, STRETCH, STRECHT BEFORE AND AFTER WALKING, and have an amazing time! :) BUEN CAMINO MY FRIEND!

Thank you all for your replies. Yesterday I read 'Four Pilgrims, A Journey on the Camino' by Marc Buchner and today I read 'Road of Reflection - El Camino de Santiago' by Rachel Stainer and I am feeling some what more relaxed.

Also told my boyfriends parents of my plans for November this afternoon, and I don't think they are too happy about it, I have been living here the past nine months in Poland after meeting my boyfriend while I was passing through Kraków! Funny how unexpected things happy to you on journeys! I had set out from Scotland on the 4th of Novmeber 2012 thinking I was embarking on a 3 month Euro trip! Little did I think I would have fallen in love and still be in Poland 9 months later AND planning to walk the Camino de Santiago!

In an earlier post I posted about whether my boyfriend and I would do it together and in the end I decided I wanted to and needed to complete this journey on my own. His family don't really believe in moving far away from home, and adventures are a bit new to them. I hope they just accept that this is something I feel I need to do.

Perhaps I should chill out now on the walking so far, I used to be a dog walker so used to cover about 12 miles a day, I did get struck down with blisters when I first set out round Europe last year but well and truly broke in my new walking boots, they are quite heavy but I am confident them and I will get along just fine. I have the smartwool socks but lost my liner ones somewhere between Prague and Olomouc! Tendonitis is another thing that struck me down while doing the dog walking, I shall be taking my hyper terrain sandals with me also in case this happens and I need something a little lighter on my feet.

Keep your positive comments about the Camino coming, they really are filling me with positive energy :)

Thanks
K

More likely the rest has done you good Steph. Time for muscles and tendons to relax a bit and niggly aches and pains to heal.

Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
One of the great things about the camino is that you have nothing to think about except walking, eating, washing a few clothes, meeting interesting people and minding your feet! I didn't realise just how good that would feel- no work, no housework, no day-to-day nonsense........ you'll love it.

I had walked in my boots and loaded pack each day for a few weeks before I started in SJPP. However, only about 5km a day. I bought my Lowa boots the previous year and they were well broken in. I used Smartwool socks and Silver Linings liners. I only walked from SJPP to Orissson the first day, then Roncesvalles the second. Stopped on Zubiri the third night then Pamplona the 4th. I was aware of a hot spot developing on day 3, but pushed on thru day 4, and by the time I hobbled into Puente de la Reina on day 5 I had 2 raging blisters on the toes of my left foot. On day six I was really in pain but pressed onward. Unfortunately I had let my blisters get big and full so I had to drain, clean and bandage them.

I ended up only walking only 8km day 7 then walking a couple of 3/4 days and taking a bus the last few miles on day 8 and 9. I spotted an athletic shoe store right on the Camino in Viana and willingly shelled out the money for some slightly oversized mesh trail runners and a couple pairs of thin synthetic socks. Such sweet relief! My feet had more room, more air, and were dry and comfortable.

In retrospect, I believe that the heavy wool socks were too hot for early May. Although my boots fit well on cooler, shorter walks while in training, I had not factored in the cumulative effect of multiple miles combined with heat and trapped perspiration inside my boot. I wrongly assumed that since My plan was to walk shorter distances my first 3 days I would be fine.

After such a rough start, I paid a lot of attention and respect to my feet. Pedi Relief foot cream at night, Compeed at the first sign of a hot spot, and taking my shoes and socks off halfway thru each days walk, and elevating my feet if possible all kept me moving westward more efficiently.

As far as tendinitis, I stretched before each segment and a time or two while enroute each day. I never walked more than 26km in one day, often only 20-24km. However, I know of two separate people who had to wear a boot cast for weeks upon their return and one who had tendon surgery upon return to the States. Not sure what to tell you other than if something hurts, take a day or two off then take it easier afterward.

I was sorry to take the bus when I had, to but happy to have one available. I was still able to walk some each day and earn my compostella since I was in great shape by the time I got to Sarria. I plan to return late spring of next year and walk the entire route, including a side trip to Eunate and the follow on to Finisterre that I missed this year due to blisters and running out of time at the end.

Enjoy your trip. Hope this helps. Forewarned is forearmed. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
...Worrying about my pack, loneliness, if I will mentally be fit enough and not let worries about who I am leaving at home creep in...

This is the key. Take on board all of the advice the other posters have made in terms of physically preparing and looking after yourself. But remember your mind needs re-training as well as your body. The first days will be as much as a mental shock (in a fabulously positive sense) as a physical one. When you're walking, look to find the rhythm or "the zone" - you'll know what I mean after about two weeks. As you said yourself, "chill". Buen Camino.

My partner and I are starting our camino in early November. We plan to buy our flights tonight! We are both healthy and active but have not been training. We do walk everywhere which amounts to about 2-4 miles/day on many days. I hope you're feeling more relaxed, and I'm happy to hear of others going around the same time as us.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was in no way prepared for the Pyrenees. No way. Not ever. I'm 50, unfit and unwell. My daughter, Georgia is 10. We did it, but I have to tell you I was cranky as all hell at this forum I'd been reading avidly for 3 years prior to my journey and never once did I hear someone say "Damn that's hard". I heard the elation after the conquering, but nothing near the sheer terror I actually felt after 6 hours, fading daylight, nowhere near enough water ("agua non-potable"), 14 Koreans airlifted to safety and a Brazillian killed getting lost in the snow. And ... yes... a ridiculous idea that 'we'll be right because 60 year olds do it!!!" Well, yes they do.... but I have a funny feeling they walk a whole heap more regularly than I do.
Having said that. I am phlegmatically lazy, and I really should have exercised more; I was a smoker (thank you Cruz de Ferro); and as a flatlander from Australia, I had no idea what a mountain actually looked like. I joined the elated chorus when we conquered the mountain, but I did have moments (lots of them) when, because I had my daughter with me, I had to ask myself if I had done something very, very stupid indeed.
When we were done in - and I'm serious about this, I was scared; I grabbed Georgia when she just couldn't walk another step, and said "I'm sooooo sorry, I had no idea it would be this hard. I wish I could take it all away and make this simple, but the truth is we can't go back; we can't stay here (snow everywhere by this altitude); and we can't phone for help... we HAVE to keep going up." and bless her cotton socks, she did keep going. When we saw the chapel on the top of that bloody big hill, I don't know where it had come from, but Georgia RAN past me to it - and straight over to keep going!! knowing she was close to 'there'. What a lesson that was!!!! It is not the mountain that we conquer - but ourselves!!!
After that, really.... it was a walk in the park.

I was in no way prepared for the Pyrenees. No way. Not ever. I'm 50, unfit and unwell. My daughter, Georgia is 10. We did it, but I have to tell you I was cranky as all hell at this forum I'd been reading avidly for 3 years prior to my journey and never once did I hear someone say "Damn that's hard". I heard the elation after the conquering, but nothing near the sheer terror I actually felt after 6 hours, fading daylight, nowhere near enough water ("agua non-potable"), 14 Koreans airlifted to safety and a Brazillian killed getting lost in the snow. And ... yes... a ridiculous idea that 'we'll be right because 60 year olds do it!!!" Well, yes they do.... but I have a funny feeling they walk a whole heap more regularly than I do.
Having said that. I am phlegmatically lazy, and I really should have exercised more; I was a smoker (thank you Cruz de Ferro); and as a flatlander from Australia, I had no idea what a mountain actually looked like. I joined the elated chorus when we conquered the mountain, but I did have moments (lots of them) when, because I had my daughter with me, I had to ask myself if I had done something very, very stupid indeed.
When we were done in - and I'm serious about this, I was scared; I grabbed Georgia when she just couldn't walk another step, and said "I'm sooooo sorry, I had no idea it would be this hard. I wish I could take it all away and make this simple, but the truth is we can't go back; we can't stay here (snow everywhere by this altitude); and we can't phone for help... we HAVE to keep going up." and bless her cotton socks, she did keep going. When we saw the chapel on the top of that bloody big hill, I don't know where it had come from, but Georgia RAN past me to it - and straight over to keep going!! knowing she was close to 'there'. What a lesson that was!!!! It is not the mountain that we conquer - but ourselves!!!
After that, really.... it was a walk in the park.

Reg, what month did you walk over the mountains?

Wow!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me, and thank you for being brutally honest. Very inspiring and I like your words at the end.

Many thanks.

Kathryn

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am doing the Camino from 31st October this year......I booked my flights to start the Camino at the end of July and since then I've not really thought about it, I was walking 8.5km a day intending to incraese that to 17km and then stepping it up to 25km a day. But things got side tracked as I had a birthday trip to Bratislava and Budapest.

Still havn't got back into the walking, intend to start of slow again tomorrow with doing the 8.5km for the remainder of this week and next week doing 17km a day.

But I sometimes wake in a panic not really able to believe that I will do this, my want to do it is so strong I just dont know how I will do it!

I am worried about things like not having my first 2 nights booked in St Jean Pied de Port, and if I don't have anything booked will it be so expensive those first 2 nights. I want to stay 2 as I arrive on the last train and want to make the Pilgrim office.

Worrying about my pack, loneliness, if I will mentally be fit enough and not let worries about who I am leaving at home creep in.

Guess its hitting home that next week when its September I can say I am doing the Camino NEXT MONTH....

One thing you can be sure of is that you will not be lonely but it's going to get cold after the first couple of weeks so be prepared! Good luck and buen viaje!

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back