• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feeling overwhelmed

Nicolette E

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2015)
Hello - I am a newbie to the Forum - and am hoping you'll be gentle.
:)
Anyone out there who's done the Camino Frances in September/October?
My journey on the Camino begins September 11th from Roncesvalles; I am excited, and quite overwhelmed by all the info and advice from friends/family and shoe/clothing sales people. Everyone has a different opinion about everything.
So, I thought I'd ask those of you who have actually done the Camino to help me separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.
Do I really need waterproof shoes, rain gear (ie pants)? What did you take as your 2nd pair of shoes? Did you need gloves, touque (I'm Canadian), down-filled jacket? Would you go for wind-proof/rain-proof (ie a shell) over warm (ie down)?
Anything else you can advise I need to take with me? I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible, and hope that what ever I'm carrying will be able to do a variety of things.
I am also doing my best to breathe, remain calm and retain my sense of humor.
Thank you!
Nicolette

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, Nicolette - I'll be a few days behind you - first Camino for me also, from the Pittsburgh area. I think of Canadians as our better-behaved cousins. I didn't listen to sales people at all and listened well here instead. You will be amazed by the wealth of information these people have posted and continue to post, not to mention the kindness and support. Best wishes for a wonderful Camino!

Hi Nicolette,

I am also starting my first Camino (Frances) in early September, so my experience is from backpacking and camping.

I do expect some rain toward the end in mid-oct onward. I am packing light fleece jacket and a light weight rain jacket. I don't expect it to be too cold, and if I run into cold morning then I will wear both together. Each can be worn by itself as well depending on the weather. Rain jacket is probably fine with light rain, which I am praying for. But we are expecting an El Nino year this year, so if I ran into heavy rain then I would get a poncho and gaiters on the Camino (maybe in Leon). Leave the down jacket at home. It is useless if it get wet, and would take forever to dry.

I am an boots person, so my boots are waterproofed. If you shoes were to get wet, and they don't dry overnight, do you think you can still walk the next day with dry socks and not worry about blisters? Do you have time to hang around for a day waiting for your shoes to dry? Can you walk the next day in your second pair of shoes? If your answer is no to these, then it is probably best to go with waterproof. The tradeoff is waterproof shoes do not breath as well, and we know that sweaty feet are prone to blisters. We do have the solutions for that, and it is to air out our feet when you take a break or change socks midday.

Since I am using poles, I am bringing fingerless bike gloves. If you think you will need gloves for the cold, then wait until it is cold and buy it on the road. You can also use your socks as gloves on those rare cold morning.

As for touque (hat for cold morning?) how about a bandana or buff, which you can wet and wear a round your neck on hot days. They also helps keep the sun off your neck. I am in the bandana camp; I use it as a wash cloth too.

Crocs are my second pair of shoes. I can hike in them, with or without socks, and I can cross deep creeks too. I don't worry about stubbing my toes in them. They are kind of ugly and a bit bulky, but they are light.

Most people do no indicate what month they walk and what the weather was like. This missing info makes the advise confusing.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My journey on the Camino begins September 11th from Roncesvalles; I am excited, and quite overwhelmed by all the info and advice from friends/family and shoe/clothing sales people. Everyone has a different opinion about everything.
So, I thought I'd ask those of you who have actually done the Camino to help me separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.
Do I really need waterproof shoes, rain gear (ie pants)? What did you take as your 2nd pair of shoes? Did you need gloves, touque (I'm Canadian), down-filled jacket? Would you go for wind-proof/rain-proof (ie a shell) over warm (ie down)?
Anything else you can advise I need to take with me? I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible, and hope that what ever I'm carrying will be able to do a variety of things.
Thank you!
Nicolette
My wife and I are also Canadian and will be walking the Camino Frances (August 26 until sometime in October). We have a blog site at http://rglongpre.ca/pilgrim/ Read a bit and ask away. We are 66 (me) and 65 (her) and are celebrating our 44th wedding anniversary en route.

Buen Camino

Thank you!
Nicolette
Howzit goin eh? Starting my fifth Camino in one week. The only things I know for sure about the Camino
It will rain, especially in Galicia
You will have blisters
You will have sore joints and muscles.
Nothing you buy will prevent the above from happening but everything you do will affect all three.
For example Gore tex will keep your feet dry if you step in a very shallow puddle. Not if you step in water that exceeds the height of your shoes upper rim or lace holes or allowing it to otherwise enter your shoe from above.
Blisters can be prevented by paying immediate attention to hot spots but not by buying Vibram soles.
You can stay bone dry by refusing to walk when it rains but...there is a lot to be said about the experience of overcoming adversity.
Pacing yourself and walking within your physical capabilities will help with muscles and joints, 45.00 wool socks will not.
Bon Chance et Buen Chemin!
Jim (Ottawa)

@Jacobus sums it up well. I am not nearly so experienced as many pilgrims here, but I think I'm pretty sensible about the preparation.

The waterproof shoes/boots or a tough question that cannot be resolved, since the particular weather and your foot response are unknown! I'm going a month later than you are, so I'm guaranteed to have some cold and probably a lot of rain. Find the boots or shoes that are absolutely the most comfortable ones for your feet, weather waterproof or not, and wear them in. I'd suggest having a buff or hat for warmth, a rain jacket, and lightweight gloves. Rain pants are debatable. You could consider an umbrella. A down jacket is likely to be unnecessary and a fleece would be easier to handle. Croc-type shoes are my second pair.

As long as you keep that sense of humour you'll be fine!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Nicolette E -

I do hope my being of few words is not interpreted as being "unkind"... I just do not have the time to drop by much lately.:)

I did see your note and remembered that I had responded to a few earlier threads. A cursory search brought the following.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-camino-frances-in-october-november.17421/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-30th-anyone-else-any-tips.26804/#post-216425

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-sep-16-oct-18.18868/#post-139769

I think these likely cover the range of "possible" for weather but, in the final analysis, weather will do as it will.

You plan for the climate and dress for the weather. This allows you to be "open" as opposed to "overwhelmed".;)

B

Hi Nicolette. I walked through September into October, and I was very much envied for my (very light) down jacket in the evenings. I adored my waterproof boots, rain pants and Gortex jacket and umbrella when we struck three consecutive days of torrential rain. (The rain pants can also serve when everything else is in the wash,) I took a pair of merino gloves, though I didn't need them so much and my second pair of shoes were Skecher Go Walks, which were perfect, and I'm still wearing them. I'm not sure what a toque is, but I wore a cheap buff almost non-stop.

Since I very much feel the cold, I took a light fleece and a long sleeved merino shirt - didn't need both at any time, since I had the down jacket, so would suggest one or the other, but not both. Hope this helps.

Spain is a modern, European country with all the advantages and all the faults. Take whatever you decide - almost anything you might miss - excepting perhaps the toque - can be purchased in Spain. Likewise, anything superfluous can be left on the table in any alberque for a pilgrim who might need it. Don't even worry about it.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked the French route from SJPdP in 2012 during the whole month of September. I used my rain pants twice although I only really needed them once. And when I say I needed them, I would have been sitting in the albergue or bar until at least noon with every other pilgrim before starting the day's walk the day on a mountain when freezing rain poured down - and sideways - for hours. I'll never leave my rain pants behind after that. Getting wet is not so much an issue. Staying warm was vital.

I walk in Keen low-cut trekking shoes that I love. Once a day or so, I have to pull out a pebble but my feet don't have trouble with being wet, even when I am wearing my shorts in the light rain. My second pair of shoes are Keen sandals that can double as walking shoes, airy evening shoes and bathroom slippers.

In September, I found my Altus rain jacket invaluable as it covers both me and my pack. I still use a pack cover for when I don't feel like wearing the jacket. Again, you will sweat under the jacket so it's not used to keep you dry; it's to keep you warm. You drip dry quickly after the sun comes out.

Some other things that I found useful include a length of thin rope for a clothesline and small binder clips to use as clothespins. Not all albergues have enough space for everyone. Buen Camino!

Nice honest post Nicolette - trepidation is quite normal, pre-Camino nerves and anxiety is quite normal. Once you are walking everything will fall into place - though it will take a few nights until refugios feel 'normal'.
More pilgrims leave from St Jean in September than at any other time of the year so you will have good company

With sorting your kit and packing you will try to put in everything that you think you may want - the trick is to be brutal and put in only what you REALLY need.
The waterproofs question is a thorny one. Personally I cannot bear being wrapped up and have found in the past that standing around in waterproof clothing seems ok but after a few miles of walking with a pack, even with so called 'breathable', one ends up sweaty inside and almost ready to faint from over-heating! So I use an Altus poncho.

September in Spain is usually delightful but we have been having odd weather patterns in Western Europe so one just cannot predict it. Checking on the forecasts before you go is a good idea.
As for the second shoes ... when you go into a refugio it is polite (and often compulsory) to remove your boots/walking shoes so something really light is handy. Flip-flops and Crocs are light and can be worn in the shower (you may find that you want to do this!!!).

There are some wonderful packing lists on here - what feels ok on your back for a few miles at home can be excruciating walking day after day on the Camino so be brutal in your choices!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do I really need waterproof shoes, rain gear (ie pants)?

Yes! I took waterproof jacket and trousers/pants when I walked the Frances in 2013 (left SJPP 13th September) - had some very rainy days, especially towards the end (arrived Santiago 23rd October)

What did you take as your 2nd pair of shoes?
I took a pair of Keen walking sandals and a cheap pair of flip flops for wearing in the shower.

Did you need gloves, touque (I'm Canadian), down-filled jacket? Would you go for wind-proof/rain-proof (ie a shell) over warm (ie down)?
I had gloves and toque but didn't use them. No down filled jacket - go for layers - i wore wicking t-shirt/lightweight walking shirt/lightweight fleece and my waterproof/windproof jacket over all that if required.

PM me if you would like a copy of my packing list :)

:) At times you will definitely need your sense of humour. But just walk and enjoy, it's a unique experience!

I will be leaving SJPP on the 10th September this year for my second Frances so will be just a wee way behind you.
Buen camino!!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Nicolette,

I am also starting my first Camino (Frances) in early September, so my experience is from backpacking and camping.

I do expect some rain toward the end in mid-oct onward. I am packing light fleece jacket and a light weight rain jacket. I don't expect it to be too cold, and if I run into cold morning then I will wear both together. Each can be worn by itself as well depending on the weather. Rain jacket is probably fine with light rain, which I am praying for. But we are expecting an El Nino year this year, so if I ran into heavy rain then I would get a poncho and gaiters on the Camino (maybe in Leon). Leave the down jacket at home. It is useless if it get wet, and would take forever to dry.

I am an boots person, so my boots are waterproofed. If you shoes were to get wet, and they don't dry overnight, do you think you can still walk the next day with dry socks and not worry about blisters? Do you have time to hang around for a day waiting for your shoes to dry? Can you walk the next day in your second pair of shoes? If your answer is no to these, then it is probably best to go with waterproof. The tradeoff is waterproof shoes do not breath as well, and we know that sweaty feet are prone to blisters. We do have the solutions for that, and it is to air out our feet when you take a break or change socks midday.

Since I am using poles, I am bringing fingerless bike gloves. If you think you will need gloves for the cold, then wait until it is cold and buy it on the road. You can also use your socks as gloves on those rare cold morning.

As for touque (hat for cold morning?) how about a bandana or buff, which you can wet and wear a round your neck on hot days. They also helps keep the sun off your neck. I am in the bandana camp; I use it as a wash cloth too.

Crocs are my second pair of shoes. I can hike in them, with or without socks, and I can cross deep creeks too. I don't worry about stubbing my toes in them. They are kind of ugly and a bit bulky, but they are light.

Most people do no indicate what month they walk and what the weather was like. This missing info makes the advise confusing.
Hope to meet you along the way Lydia. My wife and I and another couple friends in LA will be starting our walk from Sarria on Sept 2.
I bought 4 pairs of Keen Marshall hiking shoes last March (reg and WP). Lightweight and has room for the feet. My wife likes them. The prob with boots is if its made of leather, its going to expand when wet and takes sometime to dry up. We are not sports minded people so I use the fitbit to track down the miles I walked each day now that we barely have 5 weeks to go. Still struggling to finish 16000 steps/day but hopefully by mid Aug I can do 22K steps without sore legs. Some advice from trekkers is to wear thick socks to absorb the sweat. You are right to change socks midday too.

Hi Nicolette,
One of the highlights for me, having done two Sep/Oct CF's, is the Wine Festival in Logrono. It starts about Sep20th and I think runs for a week. Street parades, wine tastings, dancing, bull fighting, musical theatre, fireworks etc. We had a grand time over a day and a half.
You should be able to get there in time!
Regds
Gerard

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You have undoubtedly discovered the most plentiful substance related to the Camino. I'm talking about the positive energy in the Pilgrim community. Of course you are walking for yourself, but you are there for so many people you meet. There are so many examples of this.

I walked the Camino France's in September/October 2013 on my own. Well, to be specific I started on my own (or so I thought) and quickly found my Camino Family.

I kept a blog to try and keep my family and friends involved....little did I recognize how important this became to so many. (Many people I didn't know where following their family through this as well) Looking back and reading this blog I now appreciate this is a perfect way to accompany so many photos taken.

www.camcamino.com

I will be back on the Camino in 2016 and will do the same.....I would strongly recommend keeping at least a diary.

Buen Camino Nicolette.
Cam'.

Thank you!
Nicolette
Wecome Nicolette, I too am a (Canadian) newbie and will walk Sept/Oct. Isn't it amazing how much it takes to prepare... to take as little as you can! You will find wiser pilgrims than me on this forum. But I have found much of the joy is in the preparation. Stay tuned to this forum. You will be helped immensely. Buen Camino..I hope our paths cross.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I've walked several times in September and October.
Here are my thoughts:

Do I really need waterproof shoes, rain gear (ie pants)? No. I do not like waterproof shoes. Wear rail runners and if they DO get wet, they'll dry by morning. I take featherweight rain pants in the Autumn because I'm 62 and my hips get cold and ache, not to keep me dry. I take an ALTUS rain poncho, which covers me from shoulders to ankles (including my pack). My shoes have only gotten soaked once or twice in several Autumn caminos.

What did you take as your 2nd pair of shoes? Croc knockoffs I buy in Spain for under €6

Did you need gloves, touque (I'm Canadian), down-filled jacket? No. I've taken gloves a couple of times and I never use them. I don't know what a touque is so I did not take one. (Oh! I just saw it is a knitted cap. Well, yes, but a very light one) You will never need a down-filled jacket. Even if it's very cold, which it is not in September/October, you warm up within a few minutes of walking. Just take clothes you can layer. If it's REALLY chilly, I wear merino wool or bamboo longjohns, then a short sleeved shirt, then a windbreaker. I'm always peeling off the first two layers within 20 minutes.

Would you go for wind-proof/rain-proof (ie a shell) over warm (ie down)? Yes, definitely.

Anything else you can advise I need to take with me? I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible, and hope that what ever I'm carrying will be able to do a variety of things. In my opinion, you're more likely to experience warm or moderate weather than cold weather in Autumn, especially in September and early October.. It will be perfect for walking. I do take a buff and a lightweight merino wool beanie for cold mornings.

Don't over pack and don't over think this.
Just go.
Anything you decide you can't walk without, you can buy in Spain.

Buen Camino!
Annie

Last edited:
A 'toque' (or tuque - rhymes with Luke) is a very Canadian word. It's what everyone else in the world calls a knitted cap. Everyone in Canada wears a toque, not a knitted cap ;)

Oh, just like a "beanie"! (bee-nee)

Hi Nicolette! I have walked twice in September and it's wonderful! Much has been said about rain gear and keeping warm but what caught me out was ...... the sun!!!:eek:
I got sunburned both times, face and hands despite precautions!

This year I will be covered in Factor 50, wear long sleeved shirts and a buff or scarf for my neck! Oh yes..... it wasn't sun all the way, please heed all the above comments about the cold and rain!:rolleyes:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Nicolette,
Welcome to the forum. I think that a lot of these detailed minutia-laden posts that we engage in are fine for those of us who have walked a lot of Caminos and have a good basis for comparison and a lot of experience. But it may produce anxiety in the newbie who is just overwhelmed by the newness of it all and the sheer amount of detailed and very specific information. Sort of an information overload.

As others have said, there are no right or wrong answers, and if you make a decision that turns out to be wrong for you, you can correct it easily in a shop on the Camino. I would take the questions one by one, research one at a time, and go with your gut. Then when you're back from your first camino, you can weigh in and contribute to our endless discussions about shoes vs. hiking boots, goretex vs. not, rain jacket vs. poncho, etc. :)

Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you so much to everyone for your advice and insight - what a kind and thoughtful group.
Buen Camino!
Nicolette
I completed The Camino France's in 2013. We started the last week of August and completed our journey on October 1st. The weather was warm through out the month of September. No rain until we got to Galicia. Then three days of raining, thunder and lightening at times in Galicia. The evenings and early mornings are cool. When we return to do the Camino again, we want to go at the same time of the year without hesitation. Buen Camino.

Thank you!
Nicolette
hi,oh how i wish i were you!BUT WORRY NOT ,!I THINK YOU MY WELL HAVE THE MOST VITAL THING SORTED AND IT WEIGHS NOTHING !!! SENSE OF HUMOUR :).my sis and i walked from 10th of sept last year,we packed pretty light i did bring and use a light wind proof/rain proof jacket very handy,did not need gloves till end of sept so picked up a cheap pair ,also picked up on the way water proof pants left them back [after washing them] a day or so later in another albergue as i found them hot and sweaty a good poncho lets you breathe a bit more .but to cut a long story short , dont worry you can collect anything you need on the way,prob better in my opinion to start off light . buen camino ,lucky girl.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A 'toque' (or tuque - rhymes with Luke) is a very Canadian word. It's what everyone else in the world calls a knitted cap. Everyone in Canada wears a toque, not a knitted cap ;)
I never knew the "real word" for it. A tuque is a tuque is a tuque. But always felt odd when fitting the word in English. Now I know what it's called.

Spain is a modern, European country with all the advantages and all the faults. Take whatever you decide - almost anything you might miss - excepting perhaps the toque - can be purchased in Spain. Likewise, anything superfluous can be left on the table in any alberque for a pilgrim who might need it. Don't even worry about it.
Problem is you will need when you are in the middle of nowhere and will have to walk in the rain for 3 days before you a store that may carry what you need. Love the rain pants, worn over leggings I use as PJs at night. Mine are Mac Sac in a bag, ultra light. They are replacing my MEC pair that are heavier but still a blessing. Make sure all your items are as light as possible, but bring all the items you need.

Btw, Costco in Montreal is selling a really now excercise down vest for 40$ or so, folds into a travel pocket. I would compare it to my LLBean exercise fleece in terms of usability, except for the noise the material makes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've never thought of them as being decorative and here in the Rockies I would only wear one for function. :)

This anxiety is just part of the pricess, and I will miss it if and when I no longer feel it. Layers of the lightest and most versitile items you can think of is the watpy to go. PJs are leggings worn under rain pants or in the evenings. Rain jacket can be usd inly in rainy conditions but also over fleece in colder temps. Altus poncho on top to cover your bags straps. And yes to Gortex shoes: why would you want to walk all day in wet shoes that will cause you massive blisters that will be so bad that it matters little how dry they are the next day. It is not about what may get into them depending in their height. Noone wants a 2" diameter blister on the bottom of the foot.

Yes, we are comfusing you as much as your relatives are, and soon you will do the same to others as soon as you come back home with your own experiences ☺️

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I walked late October to Mid December 2012

No you do not need waterproof shoes. Rarely does any muck get deeper than the soles of your shoes.

Yes you need rain gear. When it rained I wore poncho, shorts and gaiters. When it was windy and rained hard I also wore a rain jacket. I carried rain pants and did not ever use them though on the day it snowed I wore long underwear under my shorts.

I like light ragknit gloves to keep hands warm in wet weather.

I wore a OR cap equipped with a sun skirt during the day. I wore a light fleece tuque as a nightcap (I'm bald and need the warmth)

I carried a 100 weight and 300 weight fleece. The 100 was worn often in mornings. On really frosty mornings I also draped a scarf over my shoulders and under the jacket. The new style of down jackets intended for hiking might be lighter than the fleece. You don't need winter weight down coat.

I wore the 300 weight at night. Some of the albergues are cold.

I took tevas as my second pair and intended to use them in the shower. The straps didn't dry fast enough. I ended up buying plastic clogs (aka crocs) at a chinese junk store. Boots outside and clogs inside. Tevas remained tied to pack.

Hi Nicholette and others starting in September. I also will be starting early Sept - probably 8th or 9th for my fourth camino. I have walked 2 previous in Sept and Oct, and 1 in May/June, and I consider Sept and Oct to be best. But that is just my opinion. This time I will start in Pamplona so I hope to see all along the way. I will probably be the oldest guy you see and will be wearing the red and blue fleece in the photo, and walking slowly.
I always wear shorts, no matter what the weather (and I have had snow at O'Cebreiro), wear waterproof boots, and have never had a blister. I take lightweight gloves because from mid-Oct it will be frosty first things in the mornings, and I have rheumatism in my fingers which is very painful when cold. Regarding other items, I leave it to others. Anniesantiago and peregrina2000 have both had masses of experience and are very wise.
One important thing though. Be really brutal with what you take and keep the weight of your pack low. My pack is a 22 litre day pack and I have just weighed it at 4.8kg. It is then a pleasure rather than a burden.
Hope to see all you Septemberites.
Buen Camino

Buen Camino Camino-David! I leave SJPdP September 7th and will be watching for you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Nicholette and others starting in September. I also will be starting early Sept - probably 8th or 9th for my fourth camino. I have walked 2 previous in Sept and Oct, and 1 in May/June, and I consider Sept and Oct to be best. But that is just my opinion. This time I will start in Pamplona so I hope to see all along the way. I will probably be the oldest guy you see and will be wearing the red and blue fleece in the photo, and walking slowly.
I always wear shorts, no matter what the weather (and I have had snow at O'Cebreiro), wear waterproof boots, and have never had a blister. I take lightweight gloves because from mid-Oct it will be frosty first things in the mornings, and I have rheumatism in my fingers which is very painful when cold. Regarding other items, I leave it to others. Anniesantiago and peregrina2000 have both had masses of experience and are very wise.
One important thing though. Be really brutal with what you take and keep the weight of your pack low. My pack is a 22 litre day pack and I have just weighed it at 4.8kg. It is then a pleasure rather than a burden.
Buen Camino
Hi David, I think perhaps you might not be the oldest; I hope to celebrate my 80th in Santiago on Nov 2nd. Start Sept 25 in St. Jean. I wish you burn Camino.

Buen Camino
Sorry David….Yikes!! 'burn Camino?" Wish you buen Camino:>).

I've just Googled 'toque' and was amazed at the variety. Apparently the word's been in use for eons. There's a woman's toque from the late 1800's in a museum in Los Angeles, and even a chef's hat is called a toque.

And I've seen toques, yes, knitted hats, being worn by persons in the tropics. Must try to find out what the folks in the tropics call them.

I walked the French route from SJPdP in 2012 during the whole month of September. I used my rain pants twice although I only really needed them once. And when I say I needed them, I would have been sitting in the albergue or bar until at least noon with every other pilgrim before starting the day's walk the day on a mountain when freezing rain poured down - and sideways - for hours. I'll never leave my rain pants behind after that. Getting wet is not so much an issue. Staying warm was vital.

I walk in Keen low-cut trekking shoes that I love. Once a day or so, I have to pull out a pebble but my feet don't have trouble with being wet, even when I am wearing my shorts in the light rain. My second pair of shoes are Keen sandals that can double as walking shoes, airy evening shoes and bathroom slippers.

In September, I found my Altus rain jacket invaluable as it covers both me and my pack. I still use a pack cover for when I don't feel like wearing the jacket. Again, you will sweat under the jacket so it's not used to keep you dry; it's to keep you warm. You drip dry quickly after the sun comes out.

Some other things that I found useful include a length of thin rope for a clothesline and small binder clips to use as clothespins. Not all albergues have enough space for everyone. Buen Camino!

I second the use of binder clips. I use one to clip the hood of whatever piece of rain gear I have to the bill of my ball hat keeping everything in place. Also use them to hang drying socks off the pack.

Thank you!
Nicolette

When it comes to the Camino, camping, or traveling, what you take with you is a personal preference. So lets take things in the order you have put them. Sales People, unless they have walked the Camino or are dedicated back packers they will be clueless. Ask! Shoes: Priority ONE, a good fit. Priority TWO, must be broke in. I wear GorTex shoes and my feet get wet if it rains hard enough but they dry quicker and clean easier that leather. Rain gear: I carry a zip up poncho. Keeps most of me and all of my pack dry and I can drape it over my pack between rain showers. It makes a ground cloth, shelter, and blanket. Extra Shoes: Last year I took ECCO sandals, good for walking lousy in the shower. Next Camino I'm taking Crocks. Gloves: Nice for cold mornings but that's it. Use a extra pair of socks if its cold or buy some there. Touque: I was a Sailor. In the Navy we called them Watch Caps and I carry a light one. Keeps the head warm if its cold inside or out. Down Filled Jacket: LEAVE it at home. Too bulky Too Hot. You want to dress in layers! I use a ultra lite down vest and a light weigh technical fleece. I also carry a lite waterproof wind breaker. Everything I carry on the Camino is quick dry synthetics except for my wool socks and the down in my blanket and vest. Some people like Moreno Wool underwear, shirts, and,pants. I don't.

Clothing: Except for socks and underwear, everything is "wear one carry one", you wash clothes every day. 2 pair zip off pants, 2 short sleeve and 2 long sleeve tee shirts, 1 pair light weight base layer bottoms, the top is 1 of my 2 long sleeve tees, 3 pair wool socks, 3 pair under shorts, 1 pair lite sun sleeves, 1 pair heavy sun sleeves, 1 lite down vest, 1 lite fleece, 1 lite rainproof windbreaker, 1 poncho, 1 fleece watch cap, and Corcks. Add to that a down sleeping blanket, towel, minimal toiletries, personal first aid kit, must take medications, camera, tablet, adapter, charging cords, head lamp, and important documents. All this fits inside my Osprey Talon 44 pack with room for water, snacks, and lunch .

My first Camino I too was a bundle of nerves. The proverbial stranger in a strange land. The people and the country are quick to put you at ease. You can't help but have a good time. Don't worry be happy "the Camino takes care of its own". Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Urbantrekker, you rock! We can now close all the threads on equipment,you said it all!

Thanks I think o_O
I meant it! Short ansd sweet list with options to wear to layer. I was a bit concerned at first though whe. You said you didn't need a pair of undies to wear and one to carry , then I read you carry 3, not 1.

Thank you. I wish I could spend as much time on the Caminos as I do on this forum. :) Think of me the next time you eat some poutine.:p

I meant it! Short ansd sweet list with options to wear to layer. I was a bit concerned at first though whe. You said you didn't need a pair of undies to wear and one to carry , then I read you carry 3, not 1.
LMAO:):):):)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Movinmaggie. At 80, you are just a young kid, whilst I have always looked immature! But all is forgiven as you are from Vancouver where only nice people live.
If you are in Estelle between Sept 30 and Oct 15, I will be hospitalero at San Miguel albergue, so do drop in and say Hi
Buen Camino

Movinmaggie. At 80, you are just a young kid, whilst I have always looked immature! But all is forgiven as you are from Vancouver where only nice people live.
If you are in Estelle between Sept 30 and Oct 15, I will be hospitalero at San Miguel albergue, so do drop in and say Hi
Buen Camino
I've made a note and I will do that David. And you're almost right; I live on Vancouver 'Island' in Victoria, where some might say we're even a tad nicer! But nice folks are everywhere. Buen Camino to you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When it comes to the Camino, camping, or traveling, what you take with you is a personal preference. So lets take things in the order you have put them. Sales People, unless they have walked the Camino or are dedicated back packers they will be clueless. Ask! Shoes: Priority ONE, a good fit. Priority TWO, must be broke in. I wear GorTex shoes and my feet get wet if it rains hard enough but they dry quicker and clean easier that leather. Rain gear: I carry a zip up poncho. Keeps most of me and all of my pack dry and I can drape it over my pack between rain showers. It makes a ground cloth, shelter, and blanket. Extra Shoes: Last year I took ECCO sandals, good for walking lousy in the shower. Next Camino I'm taking Crocks. Gloves: Nice for cold mornings but that's it. Use a extra pair of socks if its cold or buy some there. Touque: I was a Sailor. In the Navy we called them Watch Caps and I carry a light one. Keeps the head warm if its cold inside or out. Down Filled Jacket: LEAVE it at home. Too bulky Too Hot. You want to dress in layers! I use a ultra lite down vest and a light weigh technical fleece. I also carry a lite waterproof wind breaker. Everything I carry on the Camino is quick dry synthetics except for my wool socks and the down in my blanket and vest. Some people like Moreno Wool underwear, shirts, and,pants. I don't.

Clothing: Except for socks and underwear, everything is "wear one carry one", you wash clothes every day. 2 pair zip off pants, 2 short sleeve and 2 long sleeve tee shirts, 1 pair light weight base layer bottoms, the top is 1 of my 2 long sleeve tees, 3 pair wool socks, 3 pair under shorts, 1 pair lite sun sleeves, 1 pair heavy sun sleeves, 1 lite down vest, 1 lite fleece, 1 lite rainproof windbreaker, 1 poncho, 1 fleece watch cap, and Corcks. Add to that a down sleeping blanket, towel, minimal toiletries, personal first aid kit, must take medications, camera, tablet, adapter, charging cords, head lamp, and important documents. All this fits inside my Osprey Talon 44 pack with room for water, snacks, and lunch .

My first Camino I too was a bundle of nerves. The proverbial stranger in a strange land. The people and the country are quick to put you at ease. You can't help but have a good time. Don't worry be happy "the Camino takes care of its own". Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Wow - thank you for your very thoughtful and in-depth information - I appreciate the list.

A heart-felt note of gratitude to all on this forum - your thoughts, advice, warmth, humor and spirit have helped me feel less fearful and more excited about this trek. I wish I could meet every one of you - perhaps our paths will connect along the way.
Buen Camino!
Nicolette

Thank you!
Nicolette
Hi Nicolette,

I totally understand how you are feeling! It's a little overwhelming to know what to bring and what to leave behind. Remember though you can always buy what you need along the way.

I am also from Canada and walked at the same time of year you are going. I walked from September 23rd to October 23rd, 2013 and brought along too much. My pack weighed 15 kilos, but luckily the albergue host in SJPDP convinced me to mail 3 kilos of things ahead to Logrono (a 7 day walk). She said I would want to get rid of more soon enough, but I was too stubborn to let go of more thinking that I would need it all. Well, let me tell you my hips and lower back convinced me to let go of 4 more kilos once I reached Logrono. After that my pack weighed 8 kilos...perfect for my body weight at 53 kilos (117 pounds). They say your pack should weigh around 10% of your body weight. So, yes, I think you are right to keep it simple.

Among the things I brought and found out I didn't need were the toque, mitts and down sweater-jacket, so don't bring those. I ended up mailing them right off the bat. I can guarantee you won't need them. I wore La Sportiva 3/4 shank trekkers...great for my feet since I have bunions. My second pair of shoes were a light pair of Avia sandals. You will likely need rain gear. If you don't want to bring rain pants at least bring some gators so the rain doesn't soak into your socks and get the inside of your boots wet. I made that mistake one day when I was too lazy to pull my rain pants on. A good poncho that also covers your pack, although they make you look like a Jawa from Star Wars, is probably a good idea to keep you dry. You will likely need it in Galicia. I was kicking myself for not having one. Instead, I wore a cheap clear plastic poncho over my water resistant rain jacket. I got wet. If I were you I would bring a waterproof shell, not a water resistant one like I did (don't bring the down) and then bring one long-sleeved marino wool shirt for underneath. Most of the time I found the weather warm. It got cooler, sometimes 4 degrees, in later October, but that was usually at night and early morning. Just layer your clothing to keep warm. By noon I was in a tank and shorts again.

Other things I would recommend are safety pins for hanging your clothes to dry on your backpack and clothesline, and also a water proof sack to keep your clothes dry. Instead of a sleeping bag I ended up getting a fleece sleeping bag liner (perfect!). For clothes I had two tanks, two t-shirts, one long sleeved fleece, hiking pants that zipped off into shorts, a skirt, long johns, 3 pairs of moreno wool socks, of course undies, rain pants, water-resistant shell (waterproof is better) and plastic rain poncho (Jawa one is probably best). Bring a water proof pack cover too. Oh...and poles. Those were definitely a must have. Wouldn't dream of walking without them.

Hope this helps! You will love it!

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Nicolette

I walked the Frances in Feb 2013. Packed according to Margaret Meredith's list except for the immersion heater which I will definitely take next time. I agree with Tania - gaiters are fantastic. They keep the rain/snow from dripping into your boots and also stop the gravel.

I used a pair of thin socks under thick socks and changed the thin ones every day and outer ones every 2nd or 3rd day. When possible I would remove my socks while having a rest/admiring the view to allow them to dry a bit (the disadvantage of waterproof boots is that feet tend to sweat as the moisture has nowhere to go. The answer is using ultra thin 'panty liners' as inner soles. They last a couple of days, absorbing the moisture and pong. Simple and comfortable, light to carry.

As other posters said you can buy almost anything along the route. Just do it!

Nicolette,
I am usually limited to walking in the scorching heat of summer but one year I walked for a few days in late October. In October, I took light weight rain pants (purchased in the hunting section at Decathlon). Based on advice from this forum, they were a brilliant, multipurpose piece of clothing.

The advantage of rain pants is that they can be worn as a layer of warmth but - unlike long underwear - rain pants are easily removed in the most public place if you no longer need them. I wore them over light weight hiking pants and pretty much left them on all day due to wind or drizzle. If I were walking Sept/October I would add them to my pack in Burgos, even if I didn't carry them sooner.

Sorry David….Yikes!! 'burn Camino?" Wish you buen Camino:>).
For people "freaking out" because we're doing our first Camino (Sept 15-Oct 30 2015) at 73 and 71 respectively, I will let them know of your celebrating your 80th in Santiago de Compostela Nov 2nd. A bit early: Feliz cumpleaños y buen camino.

For people "freaking out" because we're doing our first Camino (Sept 15-Oct 30 2015) at 73 and 71 respectively, I will let them know of your celebrating your 80th in Santiago de Compostela Nov 2nd. A bit early: Feliz cumpleaños y buen camino.
Sherrie and Doug, thank you for kind thoughts and because I've been learning some Spanish, I also appreciate the early birthday wishes. Yes, some families worry about their elders doing something like this, my family is every bit as excited as I am, especially by four grandsons. I hear the word 'Awesome' a lot…….bless them! A heartfelt Buen Camino to you both.

Nice honest post Nicolette - trepidation is quite normal, pre-Camino nerves and anxiety is quite normal. Once you are walking everything will fall into place - though it will take a few nights until refugios feel 'normal'.
More pilgrims leave from St Jean in September than at any other time of the year so you will have good company

With sorting your kit and packing you will try to put in everything that you think you may want - the trick is to be brutal and put in only what you REALLY need.
The waterproofs question is a thorny one. Personally I cannot bear being wrapped up and have found in the past that standing around in waterproof clothing seems ok but after a few miles of walking with a pack, even with so called 'breathable', one ends up sweaty inside and almost ready to faint from over-heating! So I use an Altus poncho.

September in Spain is usually delightful but we have been having odd weather patterns in Western Europe so one just cannot predict it. Checking on the forecasts before you go is a good idea.
As for the second shoes ... when you go into a refugio it is polite (and often compulsory) to remove your boots/walking shoes so something really light is handy. Flip-flops and Crocs are light and can be worn in the shower (you may find that you want to do this!!!).

There are some wonderful packing lists on here - what feels ok on your back for a few miles at home can be excruciating walking day after day on the Camino so be brutal in your choices!!!

Hi Davis I leave tomorrow,
and boy oh boy have the nerves set in i have had my children here for the week end , as they head home they burst into tears saying " mum I sorry worried about you"
sets the pace for anxiety with in me :(
any words to help me feel more at peace would be wonderful .

Buen Camino
Chelle

Sherrie and Doug, thank you for kind thoughts and because I've been learning some Spanish, I also appreciate the early birthday wishes. Yes, some families worry about their elders doing something like this, my family is every bit as excited as I am, especially by four grandsons. I hear the word 'Awesome' a lot…….bless them! A heartfelt Buen Camino to you both.
Maggie, we get a variety of responses! Our family including grandchildren are all supportive, thankfully. Some people imagine one is walking "non-stop" for 800kms, and we have to explain that there is ample lodging along the way. "Felicitaciones" (congratulations) on your learning español. It is a beautiful language, and in my experience native speakers are so pleased that one is trying to communicate in their language and will help in any way they can. Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you!
Nicolette

Hola Nicolette. My first Camino starts in SJPP on September 15. Your question and the replies have been helpful to me as well, so thank you. One thing I've found helpful in training has been my pairs of Injinji liner socks. They are designed with "toes" so your toes do not rub against one another. I've not had a single blister in several months of training hikes, in boots and more recently carrying my loaded pack. You can find them online. I have 3 pair for the Camino (one to wear, one to change into mid-way through the day's walk, one to wear while washing the others). I'm taking 2 pair of merino wool (wicking) hiking socks. And walking poles that "telescope" down when not in use. I agree with several other commenters about taking things that have multiple uses (ex: a light-weight rain poncho that covers both me and my pack and can serve as a ground cover during rest breaks, a privacy "screen" for on-trail emergency change of clothes or "potty" need, as well as a mattress liner a/o cover if needed). I have a sun hat with with a wide brim (and chin strap, as I hear that it can be quite windy on the Camino) as well as a "buff" (again, multi-use--to keep hair, perspiration out of one's eyes; to cool if wetted or to warm the neck/head; as a wash cloth, etc.). I'm forcing myself to leave "vanity" home--no make-up, for example. I am taking a combination sunscreen/moisturizer.

Just being there will help the nerves, or so I hope. Buen camino!

My husband loves those socks too. My toes spread out when walking so I don't need them, but his don't. The toe socks help.

Hi Davis I leave tomorrow,
and boy oh boy have the nerves set in i have had my children here for the week end , as they head home they burst into tears saying " mum I sorry worried about you"
sets the pace for anxiety with in me :(
any words to help me feel more at peace would be wonderful .

Buen Camino
Chelle

Hi @chelle, we are all at least a little anxious before we set off, it's natural. You are soon going to be surrounded by many pilgrims that are feeling exactly the same way and you will all help each other out. In a few days time you will probably be surrounded by a lovely little camino family and wonder what on earth you were worried about!

Your family will most likely worry anyway but you can allay their fears by trying to have a plan to keep in touch, explain that until you get used to the being a pilgrim your contact could be a little sketchy? Are you taking a phone? Using wee-fee? Once you have made first contact when you are on the camino I'm sure they will relax at least a little?

Please be at peace. The camino is a most wonderful experience. You and your family will one day talk about how your adventurous spirit brought you there and who knows? other family members could be inspired to follow in your footsteps?

Wishing you a wonderful, memorable journey
Buen camino
Sarah :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @chelle, we are all at least a little anxious before we set off, it's natural. You are soon going to be surrounded by many pilgrims that are feeling exactly the same way and you will all help each other out. In a few days time you will probably be surrounded by a lovely little camino family and wonder what on earth you were worried about!

Your family will most likely worry anyway but you can allay their fears by trying to have a plan to keep in touch, explain that until you get used to the being a pilgrim your contact could be a little sketchy? Are you taking a phone? Using wee-fee? Once you have made first contact when you are on the camino I'm sure they will relax at least a little?

Please be at peace. The camino is a most wonderful experience. You and your family will one day talk about how your adventurous spirit brought you there and who knows? other family members could be inspired to follow in your footsteps?

Wishing you a wonderful, memorable journey
Buen camino
Sarah :)

Thank you Sarah for your lovely , it brought tears to my eye's and a huge relief, to know what i an feeling is" normal".
Yes I am taking a phone , I have set up Skype with them all Facebook etc, so through wifi I should be able to touch base .
I will save this page and write once again on my return.
bless you and your family.

Buen camino.

Hi , I find it great that people what ever there age are walking the Camino or whatever kind of walk. On my last Camino I met a pilgrim in the Pyrenees and his age was 76 , and he was doing fine. So you see age is no issue. I wish you both well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Thank you Sarah for your lovely , it brought tears to my eye's and a huge relief, to know what i an feeling is" normal".
Yes I am taking a phone , I have set up Skype with them all Facebook etc, so through wifi I should be able to touch base .
I will save this page and write once again on my return.
bless you and your family.

Buen camino.

You're welcome chelle. I know what it is like to be the worrier too. My son Ben suffers from arthritis very badly and on the day I knew he was crossing the Pyrenees in one go from St Jean to Roncesvalles he was on my mind all day. I took a walk on my local beach and found ... a scallop shell there .... we never get those in England where I live! I took it as a sign and sure enough he was OK, tired but deliriously happy! He made a camino family and walked all the way to Santiago with them.
Blessings to you too'
Sarah

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I do love the way people on this forum support each other. Thank you @chelle for trusting us with your fears, and thank you @Griffin57 for responding so sensitively - may you both walk paths of flowers.

Thank you too @Kanga , for noticing and for all the work you put into the forum. :)

My wife and I are also Canadian and will be walking the Camino Frances (August 26 until sometime in October). We have a blog site at http://rglongpre.ca/pilgrim/ Read a bit and ask away. We are 66 (me) and 65 (her) and are celebrating our 44th wedding anniversary en route.

Buen Camino
Hi.. I am starting Aug. 24...am from Winnipeg so will look for you...how is your hill climbing practice /

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Howzit goin eh? Starting my fifth Camino in one week. The only things I know for sure about the Camino
It will rain, especially in Galicia
You will have blisters
You will have sore joints and muscles.
Nothing you buy will prevent the above from happening but everything you do will affect all three.
For example Gore tex will keep your feet dry if you step in a very shallow puddle. Not if you step in water that exceeds the height of your shoes upper rim or lace holes or allowing it to otherwise enter your shoe from above.
Blisters can be prevented by paying immediate attention to hot spots but not by buying Vibram soles.
You can stay bone dry by refusing to walk when it rains but...there is a lot to be said about the experience of overcoming adversity.
Pacing yourself and walking within your physical capabilities will help with muscles and joints, 45.00 wool socks will not.
Bon Chance et Buen Chemin!
Jim (Ottawa)

Just wondering about your comment on Vibram soles. What is your experience?
Leigh

Thank you!
Nicolette

Nicolette, this is great! Do you have the answers to your questions? Or you have ended up having more questions now?
OK, I believe these are The answers you need as a short list:
  • Goretex, shoes YES it is a must in October even if it is for one day! Wet shoes can ruin your day.
  • You need a very light weight Poncho for rain, that's all it will cover your backpack and your body. It will replace the pack cover, your rain jacket both.
  • If it rains... and it is windy... and you are very tall... than you might need a remove able leggings, not necessary to my opinion, they are light weight.
  • I would go for a light wind proof . Don't forget when you walk you need less warmer clothes than when you are stopped.
  • In Spain we have a second summer which, we call "St.Michaels tinny summer" it is around the middle of October, +/- a week. So you won't freez during the day unless you decide to sleep in nature! At night and after November.
  • A fleece would keep you warm before the evening wine, later on you won't need it! Haha
  • Gloves?? You are walking in Spain and September and October, we do not have snow at that time, the coolest area you might go though is from SJPDP to Roncesvalles and during the day a shirt will be fine and fleece for the evening.
  • You can buy any thing you might need locally and at a reasonable price, it surely would be cheaper than sending the extra weight back home.
  • Depending on your height and complexion you need to be carrying 5 to 7 kilos max to avoid injuries.
  • Keep it light, you have a village between every 2 to say max 8k, Don't forget you are a pilgrim and not a Sherpa!
  • Don't worry, you will enjoy it, even more if you travel light.
  • The reality is much easier, when you are on the Camino, don't try to fill up you backpack with fears of, what ifs..., you are not going to the end of the world, contrary you will be in the centre of the world!
  • Buen Camino, Pregrina!
Best

Last edited:
Buen Camino
Does this mean you do not carry a sleeping bag with you?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just wondering about your comment on Vibram soles. What is your experience?
Leigh
Vibrant Soles in my experience and from my cursory research are beneficial as a long life material and for holding form for comfort. Blisters, also in my experience, are caused by friction between the skin and a contact material. So my point was that unless you follow certain protocols and the example I used was immediate treatment of hot spots you will get blisters no matter the material.
Proper fit, dry feet, following protocols, and proper treatment are more important than material considerations in my experience.

I love reading all these lists and comparing with mine. I'm still very concerned about my full pack weight, including a liter of water, about 18 pounds. I'm 73 and weight about 130. I think one reason the weight is "high" is that the pack itself isn't a small one. It's a Deuter 45+10 and weighs 3 lb 4 oz. I love the way it feels on my back, just right for my torso, at least when I'm wearing it right, with the weight on my hips. I could take a few things out--lite rain pants, pack rain cover (I'm taking a Ferrino poncho), headlamp, titanium cup (a luxury, I know), a pair of smart wool socks (I'll wear one with a liner and I'd planned on taking 2 more, with two more liners), a pocketknife, gloves and beanie. I'd miss some of those things those. :( I'm taking a lite fleece jacket, a lite windbreaker, a long-sleeved button-up shirt for sun protection, two short-sleeve t's (wearing one), very lite sleep shorts, long johns bottom and top, two pairs hiking pants (wearing one of those), two underwear and bra (wearing them too), a lite sarong, a medium travel towel, first aid stuff, personal care kit (contact lens solution, extra contacts, half toothbrush and small toothpaste, little comb, small bar soap for hair, self and laundry, a few baby pins and a couple of clips, a lite line, a penlite, and prescription medications. I think that's about it. Oh, very light weight Teva sandals to change into. Wearing low rise Keens, perfect for my feet. I'm going to use a waist pack for passport, credential, notebook and pen, credit cards, money, etc., stuff I'll need during the day. And I've decided to take my iPad Mini (with charger) instead of a guidebook, also in the waist pack. And my iPhone to double as a camera. It seems like a lot of stuff, but what can I leave at home?

Seems a bit much to me but where to cut? I am going September/October too on the Camino Francés so all I can point out is the things I decided to leave behind. It seems you have thought out each piece though. I decided against a tablet & charger, long johns, pocket knife, and went with a lighter pair of second shoes than my Tevas (6oz vs 21oz) Other than that our packing lists are pretty similar other than the obvious male/female stuff (I no longer need a comb!) Your pack does weigh quite a bit more than my 20ltr Osprey Talon but it probably has a much better belt for carrying the weight too. I also have a full pound of photo gear. My pack is 11lbs without water.

Good luck with your decision and Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
One other thought; I am 59 and weigh 135lbs.

Mike

Seems a bit much to me but where to cut? I am going September/October too on the Camino Francés so all I can point out is the things I decided to leave behind. It seems you have thought out each piece though. I decided against a tablet & charger, long johns, pocket knife, and went with a lighter pair of second shoes than my Tevas (6oz vs 21oz) Other than that our packing lists are pretty similar other than the obvious male/female stuff (I no longer need a comb!) Your pack does weigh quite a bit more than my 20ltr Osprey Talon but it probably has a much better belt for carrying the weight too. I also have a full pound of photo gear. My pack is 11lbs without water.

Good luck with your decision and Buen Camino!
What are your sandals that weigh only 6 oz?

I am taking Sockwa G4's that are neoprene with a rubber sole. They are mostly used for Beach Volleyball and for that "barefoot"feeling. I only plan on using them around the albergues and in the shower.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I love reading all these lists and comparing with mine. I'm still very concerned about my full pack weight, including a liter of water, about 18 pounds. I'm 73 and weight about 130. I think one reason the weight is "high" is that the pack itself isn't a small one. It's a Deuter 45+10 and weighs 3 lb 4 oz. I love the way it feels on my back, just right for my torso, at least when I'm wearing it right, with the weight on my hips. I could take a few things out--lite rain pants, pack rain cover (I'm taking a Ferrino poncho), headlamp, titanium cup (a luxury, I know), a pair of smart wool socks (I'll wear one with a liner and I'd planned on taking 2 more, with two more liners), a pocketknife, gloves and beanie. I'd miss some of those things those. :( I'm taking a lite fleece jacket, a lite windbreaker, a long-sleeved button-up shirt for sun protection, two short-sleeve t's (wearing one), very lite sleep shorts, long johns bottom and top, two pairs hiking pants (wearing one of those), two underwear and bra (wearing them too), a lite sarong, a medium travel towel, first aid stuff, personal care kit (contact lens solution, extra contacts, half toothbrush and small toothpaste, little comb, small bar soap for hair, self and laundry, a few baby pins and a couple of clips, a lite line, a penlite, and prescription medications. I think that's about it. Oh, very light weight Teva sandals to change into. Wearing low rise Keens, perfect for my feet. I'm going to use a waist pack for passport, credential, notebook and pen, credit cards, money, etc., stuff I'll need during the day. And I've decided to take my iPad Mini (with charger) instead of a guidebook, also in the waist pack. And my iPhone to double as a camera. It seems like a lot of stuff, but what can I leave at home?

Yes, you could take out the pack cover if you have a poncho that covers your pack, but I'm not sure about the rain pants. You may still need them even with the poncho. At least bring some gators if you aren't going to bring rain pants (which ever is lighter). You just don't want to end up with wet socks which will suck the water into your boots. I've had it happen. You may not need the beanie and gloves. I didn't and I walked at the same time you are. I'm thinking one pair of hiking pants instead of two. I had one pair that zipped off into shorts - perfect. Also, not sure how big your first aid kit is, but there are many Farmacia's along the way, so bring a few handy first aid items for emergencies, but stop along the way to get extras as you need them. The rest sounds good.

If you do find that you've brought too much you can always mail things up ahead. I did after the albergue host in SJPDP weighed my pack and said it was 15 kilos. Yikes!! I know...terrible isn't it? I thought I needed everything too, but ended up letting go of three kilos before I left and four more when I got to Logrono. You soon find out you don't need everything you think you do and it's much easier to part with things when your hips are screaming at you ;-)

All in all...18 pounds (8 kilos) including your water sounds not too bad in my opinion. That's what I walked with for the remainder of the way between Logrono and Santiago and I found it perfect. I weigh 117 lbs although I was 44 when I went. My pack was also 55 litres so I understand how easy it is to want to fill it up. They say you should carry no more than 10% of your body weight which is very minimal. Not sure how people do it.

I am taking Sockwa G4's that are neoprene with a rubber sole. They are mostly used for Beach Volleyball and for that "barefoot"feeling. I only plan on using them around the albergues and in the shower.
And if you leave the albergues? I first found a pair of ultra lightweight sandals that had absolutely no arch at all, and I couldn't imagine walking through a village or city in them, after the day's walk. It was like walking barefoot and I need a bit more support. Maybe I should be happy with my 13 oz Tevas. It's so hard to know.

And if you leave the albergues? I first found a pair of ultra lightweight sandals that had absolutely no arch at all, and I couldn't imagine walking through a village or city in them, after the day's walk. It was like walking barefoot and I need a bit more support. Maybe I should be happy with my 13 oz Tevas. It's so hard to know.
I think you should be happy with the Tevas :). Good arch support while exploring after your long day's walk will be important. I took Teva's too and didn't regret it :)

Yes, you could take out the pack cover if you have a poncho that covers your pack, but I'm not sure about the rain pants. You may still need them even with the poncho. At least bring some gators if you aren't going to bring rain pants (which ever is lighter). You just don't want to end up with wet socks which will suck the water into your boots. I've had it happen. You may not need the beanie and gloves. I didn't and I walked at the same time you are. I'm thinking one pair of hiking pants instead of two. I had one pair that zipped off into shorts - perfect. Also, not sure how big your first aid kit is, but there are many Farmacia's along the way, so bring a few handy first aid items for emergencies, but stop along the way to get extras as you need them. The rest sounds good.

If you do find that you've brought too much you can always mail things up ahead. I did after the albergue host in SJPDP weighed my pack and said it was 15 kilos. Yikes!! I know...terrible isn't it? I thought I needed everything too, but ended up letting go of three kilos before I left and four more when I got to Logrono. You soon find out you don't need everything you think you do and it's much easier to part with things when your hips are screaming at you ;-)

All in all...18 pounds (8 kilos) including your water sounds not too bad in my opinion. That's what I walked with for the remainder of the way between Logrono and Santiago and I found it perfect. I weigh 117 lbs although I was 44 when I went. My pack was also 55 litres so I understand how easy it is to want to fill it up. They say you should carry no more than 10% of your body weight which is very minimal. Not sure how people do it.
Thanks so much for your input. I really am NOT trying to fill up my backpack. I just love the support it has, wide padded waist and shoulder straps. If I took just one pair of hiking pants, I wouldn't have anything to change into. I'm not sure what you're suggesting there. One zips off into shorts, the other doesn't but is also very lightweight and also comfortable. I don't think my first aid kit is large, but maybe. I have a few assorted bandages. I bleed easily (the slightest bump), a hazard of growing older, thin skin. I have the smallest neosporin/pain ointment and a small cortisone creme. A little packet of various pain killer from REI, just a few. An ace bandage, which my daughter insists that I take. Nail clippers and a little file. Paper tape, a small roll. A small amount of compede which I love. I think that's it. Is it too much?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your input. I really am NOT trying to fill up my backpack. I just love the support it has, wide padded waist and shoulder straps. If I took just one pair of hiking pants, I wouldn't have anything to change into. I'm not sure what you're suggesting there. One zips off into shorts, the other doesn't but is also very lightweight and also comfortable. I don't think my first aid kit is large, but maybe. I have a few assorted bandages. I bleed easily (the slightest bump), a hazard of growing older, thin skin. I have the smallest neosporin/pain ointment and a small cortisone creme. A little packet of various pain killer from REI, just a few. An ace bandage, which my daughter insists that I take. Nail clippers and a little file. Paper tape, a small roll. A small amount of compete which I love. I think that's it. Is it too much?

I think your first aid kit sounds good and small. For something to change into after my days walk, I brought a black skirt that I wore every day. What about your sarong? Could that be what you change into at the end of the day? Definitely bring the pants that zip off into shorts. You'll love those! But honestly, I think 18 pounds (8 kilos) including your water is a pretty good weight.

I think your first aid kit sounds good and small. For something to change into after my days walk, I brought a black skirt that I wore every day. What about your sarong? Could that be what you change into at the end of the day? Definitely bring the pants that zip off into shorts. You'll love those! But honestly, I think 18 pounds (8 kilos) including your water is a pretty good weight.
Thank you so much, Tania. I'm likely to go with what I have and make ruthless decisions on the way then.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you so much, Tania. I'm likely to go with what I have and make ruthless decisions on the way then.
Your welcome! I think you will be fine. These kinds of decisions along the way are all part of the journey. Things will work out. It's going to be amazing!

I've just Googled 'toque' and was amazed at the variety. Apparently the word's been in use for eons. There's a woman's toque from the late 1800's in a museum in Los Angeles, and even a chef's hat is called a toque.

And I've seen toques, yes, knitted hats, being worn by persons in the tropics. Must try to find out what the folks in the tropics call them.
I knit caps for the kids in southern India where I volunteer. They are often cold during Jan/Feb ( whereas it is lovely and warm for me). I always laugh when they call them 'mupplers'. Somehow confusion came earlier on when I knit one of them a scarf, which I called a muffler..and the word stuck.

I love reading all these lists and comparing with mine. I'm still very concerned about my full pack weight, including a liter of water, about 18 pounds. I'm 73 and weight about 130. I think one reason the weight is "high" is that the pack itself isn't a small one. It's a Deuter 45+10 and weighs 3 lb 4 oz. I love the way it feels on my back, just right for my torso, at least when I'm wearing it right, with the weight on my hips. :(.

A 45 + 10L pack should be ok, if you don't insist in filling it up! The most important issue is that, you feel comfortable with it.

8 kilos without water, it is alright. Bearing in mind almost 1,9 kilos would be the weight of the back pack, therefore you should be fine and great decision and selection of what to take with you.

Experience shows for your second Camino you will use even less, you will filter what you took but didn't use during the first one. Don't ignore the weight issue without getting obsessed abou it either.

Keep your pace stable and don't vary much. Don't Race, that is the begging of blister problem. So you have everything, Enjoy your Camino, Buena Suerte and Buen Camino.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.