• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feeling quite dissapointed and haven't even started my way

Cangab37

Time of past OR future Camino
French (2014 october)
Hi,
I've been reading a following the different topics in this forum for a while since I decided to walk part of the Camino with my mother on October 2014, but I have to say that some of the comments I read are really discouraging.
1.- why do you make a difference from the ones that decide to walk from Sarria than the ones that walk all the way? Will my pilgrimage be less than yours just because I have only 10 days of vacations a year at work and cant afford to quit it because I have 2 other people that depend on my income and I will be only able to walk the last miles?
2.- why everybody is so mad if someone decides to take advantage of booking albergues or hotels in advanced or even use a tour company to help with the walking? I'm also less than others just because I will need to return to real life just after finishing walking and again to endless work travels and I want a little comfort while doing the Camino. Is that such a big sin, apparently yes, no matter the circumstances.

Everybody writes "It's your camino you should do it as you feel, as you want, as you desire" but personally I don't feel some of you are supportive if anyone decides to do the Camino different than it "should" be done (walking more than a month, staying in albergues, suffering for pain, rain, etc,etc).

I just hope I get to know people that does not make a difference during my walking and understand that everybody has their own circumstances to do the things the way they are doing them without judging

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think you are being too sensitive to the written word, and you are taking meaning where no meaning is intended. Virtually no one in the Forum looks down on 100km pilgrimages, reservations, or baggage services. Some posts describe the feelings of pilgrims who have walked 650km, then must compete for a bed in the last 100km. They are not challenging the validity of the new pilgrim, but describing a changed circumstance. Put yourself in their position, and you may be able to see what they are feeling, and see that their feelings are equally valid to your feelings of potential rejection. We should be able to embrace a wide variety of emotional responses to the camino without feeling superior or denigrated.

Buen camino. I think you will really enjoy it once you are doing it.

The Camino is a big, muddy metaphor for life, and as in life there are those who wish to impose a judgement on our choices. Fortunately on the Camino their judgement cannot harm you, so it's a useful arena in which to decide how to deal with that judgement. On my last Camino, in one case I decided to challenge it instead of resorting to my usual passive-aggressive tutting and muttering. It helped me do the same in a situation at work once I returned home. Anyway, you'll meet more people supportive of your choices on your Camino than not

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think the people you describe in your post are very much in the minority and either way I wouldn't worry too much about it, do your Camino the way it suits you, that is what everyone does. You will always get people who judge no matter what you do. Have a great Camino from Sarria, you will love it.
Buen Camino.

Dont think your right there, falcon. I can understand that cangab37 would think all that. It is true and has nothing to do with being to sensitive. You can easily get the idea by reading many posts about those subjects, that alot of people look down on the last 100km pilgrims with their daypacks and jeans ect ect...(even if in reality they really dont mean it bad).
Also towards pilgrims who book albergues ahead, by calling it unfair. Why? Whats unfair about it? It not a competition, is it?

Again, i can totally understand why cangab37 would think this, but the written word is often much harsher then the spoken word, but still....there is also truth in what is written.
It is on the other hand also true that alot (not all) of the "100km" pilgrims do come into the whole camino thing with a different point of view. For a majority it is a fieldtrip, a holiday, where as alot of the longer distance walkers look at it differently.

Putting yourself in somebody elses position should be unnecessary, because we all have to respect each others choices of doing things differently. If you ask that of cangab37, then you shoulf also do that yourself the other way around, if you ask me.

Touchy subject for some, i'm guessing. We'll see.

I'm always a bit skeptical of people who come on a PMB and their first post is critical of someone or something.

I try to understand others points of view especially when they differ from mine, but I think the OP's comments are unfair. I've read quite a lot of the posts here and never got the impression that posters were demeaning anyone who started in Sarria. Indeed, the large majority of people are supportive of those whose limitations affect their camino. One need look no further than the caring and support given to Kat during her troubles.

I agree with Falcon--the only negative thing I've noticed is a bit of frustration from those who have walked nearly 30 days on the Frances and have had trouble getting accommodations during the final 100km. I know I'd feel the same way.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Howdy, @Cangab37 -

So, here's the deal (IMHO).

Your experience of walking the Camino is bounded by a confluence of time, personal finances, weather, people and sometimes even a stray shaft of light - - or dark - - inside a church or across a landscape before you.

But, no matter what, it is YOUR Camino.

The experience is deeply personal because YOU are the one experiencing it, moment by moment.

Yes, you need to be sensitive to avoid active harm/offense to companions while sojourning. So? (You probably do this at home, I'm guessing.:))

That addressed, your walk is not about anybody but you - - and finding a deeper relationship between you and God/the Universe/Higher Power - - or maybe it is just a nice walking holiday.

What other people think does not really matter. Only you have the "big picture". And it is entirely possible that that last statement should be cast as "Only you will ever have the "big picture"" - - for you.

It is not ever about about "them", whoever you construe "them" to be.

B

OK, THIS forum is THIS Forum! What I mean is that only a fraction of Pilgrims walking the Camino follow it. I understand what OP is getting at, because there is a lot of discrimination as regards where one starts their Camino. Just take SJPP versus Roncesvalles, for one. Most SJPP. Starters FEEL that they must start there... if not....what? Something is lacking?
I am convinced that the majority of Pilgrims starting anywhere along the Camino, be it Burgos, Leon, Astorga, O'Cebreiro, Sarria, or wherever else, are totally unaware of any unfortunate vibes in their direction, just because they didn't do a long distance Pilgrimage! Anne

Last edited:
By pure coincidence, I've just been reading the thread " Disappointing arrival in Santiago" and I came across a posting
( today at 2.15) by Biloute who writes: "I think mostly because of the tourist pilgrims who started in Sarria."
There you are, don't tell me that this is not biased!:(
Anne

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,
I've been reading a following the different topics in this forum for a while since I decided to walk part of the Camino with my mother on October 2014, but I have to say that some of the comments I read are really discouraging.
1.- why do you make a difference from the ones that decide to walk from Sarria than the ones that walk all the way? Will my pilgrimage be less than yours just because I have only 10 days of vacations a year at work and cant afford to quit it because I have 2 other people that depend on my income and I will be only able to walk the last miles?
2.- why everybody is so mad if someone decides to take advantage of booking albergues or hotels in advanced or even use a tour company to help with the walking? I'm also less than others just because I will need to return to real life just after finishing walking and again to endless work travels and I want a little comfort while doing the Camino. Is that such a big sin, apparently yes, no matter the circumstances.

Everybody writes "It's your camino you should do it as you feel, as you want, as you desire" but personally I don't feel some of you are supportive if anyone decides to do the Camino different than it "should" be done (walking more than a month, staying in albergues, suffering for pain, rain, etc,etc).

I just hope I get to know people that does not make a difference during my walking and understand that everybody has their own circumstances to do the things the way they are doing them without judging
You do the Camino "your way". We would not be going at all in 3 weeks time if we were entirely reliant on albergues and not having a small bag transported for my husband (due to disability). We also want to see the whole of the Camino Frances, so again it was a choice for us that we give the whole route a go. We have found this forum to contain a microcosm of life where everyone has their opinion and that is to be respected. At no times have we received anything but encouragement for our journey. In an ideal world we would do what the pilgrims of old did, but it is either not go at all or do it how it will work for us. We feel no less a pilgrim because of that.

Again though, I must stress, that this forum has done nothing but support us in the last 12 months and has been a source of invaluable information on every aspect of "our walk". I feel as though I have made friends from all around the world and in that sense my Camino started many months ago.

Look for the positives and let the negatives fall by the wayside not to be taken on board - your backpack will be enough to carry !

Buen Camino to you and your mother. How I wish I had a mother who wanted to do it with me - a blessing for you to start with.

Hi,
1.- why do you make a difference from the ones that decide to walk from Sarria than the ones that walk all the way? I and many others do not. Will my pilgrimage be less than yours just because I have only 10 days of vacations a year at work and cant afford to quit it because I have 2 other people that depend on my income and I will be only able to walk the last miles No, your Camino is just that, your Camino. It will not be like anybody elses?
2.- why everybody is so mad if someone decides to take advantage of booking albergues or hotels in advanced or even use a tour company to help with the walking? Some feel this way but again most do not. I'm also less than others just because I will need to return to real life just after finishing walking and again to endless work travels and I want a little comfort while doing the Camino. Is that such a big sin, apparently yes, I disagree. no matter the circumstances. This is your Camino. How you do it is entirely up to you.

Everybody writes "It's your camino you should do it as you feel, as you want, as you desire" but personally I don't feel some of you are supportive if anyone decides to do the Camino different than it "should" be done (walking more than a month, staying in albergues, suffering for pain, rain, etc,etc). I do not understand why you would have any expectation of all Pilgrims being supportive in the way you would like them too. It is just not Human nature. That said, Pilgrims in general are far more tolerant, giving, helpful etc. etc. than the population in general, imo.

You most likely will but should you encounter a half empty Pilgrim, feel free to move on to Pilgrims who have a different outlook.

Cangab37:

I would go back to the motivation that drove your decision to walk the Camino. Embrace positive comments and ignore the less supportive ones. Your Camino is going to be special for you and probably others that you will encounter along the way. Remember support is a two way street and you can only control your actions.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi,

1. It doesn't make a difference and don't let anyone ever tell you or try to convince you otherwise. If they give you any guff, tell them a pilgrim who started in St. Jean said you were just as much a pilgrim as anyone else. If they are still giving you trouble, tell them take it up with the Son of Thunder and see what he has to say on the matter.

2. See number 1.

The ONLY issue I have with folks who start in Sarria is that I worry about them. I worry that if they have a bad couple of days, that's half of their Camino. The advantage to taking a longer walk is that you have more time to turn things around. So, my advice to you is to smile, put on your best face, and don't worry about what some jerks might think about you and your pilgrimage. Rejoice, because soon, you will be on the Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I must admit that we were really only thinking of walking from Sarria to Santiago originally. Met loads of people who walked from many other starting points. Glad we changed our minds and started at SJPDP. Nothing like sitting around Santiago drinking wine with those we started with and missing those who could/would not finish. Amazing how many people dropped out so close to finishing! Nothing against those who did not have time to do the walk from SJPDP, but no one can tell me that there is NO difference between walking from SJPDP and Sarria. There is a BIG difference! Just was not the same after Sarria--swarms of clean people with small packs; raw sewage running along the trail near the first Albergue after Sarria; much more litter; buses sitting along the trail to catch tired "tourist" hikers.--not the same. But on the other hand, the people starting at Sarria are probably less evil and don't have as many sins to do penance for as those of us who started at SJPDP--can't imagine what those who walk more than once have done!

Welcome to the Forum @Cangab37
Yes, there is a difference in me if I walk a short camino compared to a long camino of let's say at least 4 weeks.
When walking a long camino my body goes through different stages.
The first week is a week of shorter days, pain, adjusting to how to pilgrim with all the pilgrim routines, encounters etc.
The following weeks are the weeks in a flow, meditation, wellbeing, deep friendship.
The last week is the hardest one getting closer to Sdc knowing that the camino is over soon, meaning never meeting up again. Something has happened with my mind also and i am a bit worried of how to get back to the daily routine when back at home.The camino changes during the last 100 where it gets busier.

But there is space for all of us there if we respect each other and our different motivations.

Buen camino

Last edited:
My sympathy @Cangab37 - there are some posts that can feel very critical, but as others have said don't let them get to you, it truly is your Camino wherever you start. Personally some-one told me I wasn't a true pilgrim if I wasn't walking the Francés. Never have, never will. My first Camino was from Ferrol and the Camino Inglés - the equivelant of Sarria to Santiago. Then the Primitivo from Tineo the following year. My husband walked the Norte from Santander/Primitivo, then the 2 Caminos with me, and never the Francés. We hope to return to the Inglés next year. It is right for us.
My point is that while it may feel upsetting at present to feel that you are being judged it should not change what you feel is right for your Camino nor detract from it.
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm with falcon on this. When we say "you do your own Camino", just do it. Once you start walking, you're a pilgrim. I'm also a pilgrim. You get a compostela from the Pilgrim's office for walking at least the last 100km. I'm pretty sure that there is no great committee of pilgrims at the end that get to vote on how many kilometers you did or how "well" you did it so why should that matter to anyone. Someone may make a comment that shows they look down on you but that does not mean you have to feel inferior unless you choose to feel inferior. I was in Orisson with a man who had walked from Paris. He had a bit of smugness about him that let people know he had already completed half his Camino. I had only done 8km so far. So what? Some people may have chosen to be offended by his smugness, I chose not to care and focus on my own Camino - picking his mind for the experience he had. He was really helpful and I was not so sensitive to care that he likely looked down on me. If the OP is looking for support, people of the forum for the most part are happy to provide answers, advice, encouragement, etc. If the support he/she is looking for is statements like "Wow! We are exactly the same and we had the same experience", well, that may be hard for me to say...

Cangab37, you are worrying about nothing. If there were any penalties for doing everything the easy way, I'd be serving life. I don't exert, don't suffer, don't rush and prefer private accommodation to albergues. (I love the albergue atmosphere, but love my sleep even more.) Many people like to do things in a more strenuous or traditional fashion so they talk about such things on this forum. I can assure you those people are okay with how I do things. Though they would never dream of lying in till midday watching the Karlos Arguinano cooking show like I do (it how I brush up on my Spanish, okay?) they are perfectly fine with the likes of me. And they will be perfectly fine with you.

I've done my share of camino miles. The most meaningful, powerful camino I ever walked was Sarria to Santiago in December 2010.
Slept in hostels. Made no long, lasting friendships. A backup vehicle hauled my pack. I may even have worn bluejeans! :eek:

Yeah, there are a lot of low-mileage yahoos along that stretch. But there are just as many saints.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Jeffnd's observations are good. You can add that a pilgrim who walked twice out of Montserrat and once out of Mont Saint Michel said that a Sarria pilgrim is just as good.

While this forum is valuable and perhaps the best English-language source on the Camino, you might find it helpful to chat with a few pilgrim vets in your neighbourhood, as this is likely the best way of figuring out how it will actually go. One of the flaws of the internet is that minor issues (and you are writing about really minor issues) can take a disproportionate place in discussion.

I liked many of the Sarria people I met--- most of them were Spaniards, travelling in their little posses the members of which had been their buddies from school so I often found myself adopted into these groups, and found them very hospitable and lots of fun, and they respected those of us (insane) pilgrims who had done the longer stretches. There were, as well, lots of students, and they were lively but almost always remarkably well-behaved and polite.

Hi Cangab37,
Try not to let what others think pull you down. It is your walk, your business. I was in search of doing something for my soul. Once at a dinner party, an acquaintance was talking about her experiences when she did The Way with her husband. Being spiritual & wanting to do something for myself, I was inspired to do the Camino. Unlike some luckier ones, I can't just take 5 weeks off. I didn't know when I could go, due to work & being a single parent (kids 14.5 & 13yo) But when my kids got caught up with what I've been reading & my wish to walk The Way, they begged me to come along! I'm glad I'm not doing it on my own and I'm glad they are interested! I decided this is it! My chance to get a little taste of Camino de Santiago. We're walking the last 120km or so. Since I am traveling with teens, I can't tell how well they'd cope & I didn't want to risk not having a place to sleep. If it's only me, I wouldn't mind where I'd sleep but I am responsible to 2 more along with me so I have pre-booked the hotels we are staying at. 'm doing it My Way.

There are also some guided tours for different stages of Camino. They'll make arrangements for your food & lodging. Also offers transport of your bag/s. I am just thankful I could do it in such a short prep this year. I can come back another time & do more Camino. I am looking forward to walking next week!
Thumbs up Cangab37! It's your walk. Do it however way it suits you. Just enjoy your walk.
Buen Camino.

I've done my share of camino miles. The most meaningful, powerful camino I ever walked was Sarria to Santiago in December 2010.
Slept in hostels. Made no long, lasting friendships. A backup vehicle hauled my pack. I may even have worn bluejeans! :eek:

Yeah, there are a lot of low-mileage yahoos along that stretch. But there are just as many saints.
YES!!!

Cangab37, here is a simple truth, never forget it.
You get a compostela for the last 100 km, you get nothing for the first 690. :p

Another simple truth; no matter where you start from, some one else has started from further away. ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After a really bad experience while dating in my teen years (she didn't like the flowers, the air conditioning in the car didn't work and neither did the speaker at the drive-in) I came home early and my dad was still up. Surprised by my early appearance, I filled in the background and said something about this was the worse day in my life. Always ready with a spot on comment, dad said, "In your life you will have many experiences, because you are willing to try something new. It may work out, it may not; still you keep on trying. That is living!"
So, to paraphrase: "The best Camino you will ever have will be Outstanding and the worse will be Excellent." As so many have already said, "It's your Camino. Now make your own Way!"

Saludos,

Arn

you will meet them. I am just about to finish my camino tomorrow. I started in Porto. some days walked more than other days and some nights slept in municipal albergues , some in private ones with the booking ahead system and yet another one in a hotel . Met plenty of other people doing exactly the same!:)
and yesterday when it rained and rained and rained was so happy to have booked ahead!
Don't care about other peoples opinion, just enjoy.
Bon camino

Thanks so much all of you for your comments, it's absolutely right that my mother and I will walk our own camino and hopefully be able to find this awesome spiritually experience we are looking for.
We have been training a little and we already have some of our stuff ready (even a pair of blue jeans;)) we are really excited about this.

I know that for some people what I wrote might sound rude for my first post but it is important for all of us to be aware that some comments we make might be discouraging someone that is seeking for information at this forum and it might influence others in their decision to walk or not the Camino. Everybody has the right to live this experience according to their own circumstances and we should respect all of them.

Hope to meet some of you in October.

Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
cangab37,
I found that using "honey" worked wonders last fall. As soon as conversations began to move toward "where one started from", I immediately (and honestly I was sincere) asked where "they" started from and wanted to hear their story, usually going over the Pyrenees. 8 out of 10 times I was not even asked where I started! (Roncesvalles btw).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,

Have no expectations is my moto, so please do not have others just go and enjoy if you walk a day or a month its your Camino. ENJOY, show love and peace.
Trevor

Hi,

Cangab...pay no attention to those who are unkind...this forum should be uplifting and encouraging! I only walked 200 miles, starting from Leon, but my camino was done my way. As you, I only had limited resources. Almost all of the people on the camino are kind and supportive! Enjoy your pilgrimage! iBuen Camino!

I think the people you describe in your post are very much in the minority and either way I wouldn't worry too much about it, do your Camino the way it suits you, that is what everyone does. You will always get people who judge no matter what you do. Have a great Camino from Sarria, you will love it.
Buen Camino.
You both will love, LOVE your Camino
I will be walking the last 100 km with my daughter as well...hope to see you on the way!

There is nothing bad with just walking the last 100 K. No worries.
What's really annoying are the frauds, saw many of them fat asses with small bagpacks not even walking the stages, sleeping in albergues, stamping, just to get the "Compostela", lying to themselves and their own god.
So yeh, a classic summer example, you leave at sunrise, walk your 40 K and you arrive, all is complete and you see them: all clean, with new clothes on everyday (because off course their suitcase/bag travels with them on a taxi-bus.).
It's not a competition or a race but either me or anybody from my walking posse will ever talk, share, or respect those kind of tourists. A pilgrim carryes his weight, if he's too old, young, weak, handicaped... exceptions can be understood. The camino in summer is a circus full of clowns, especially after Sarria. So do your thing, enjoy, just respect the pilgrim that give blood, sweet and tears or even their life to this shit ;)

Now now...Even " that kind of tourist " can have a very good reason to act in this kind of way. Who are we to judge? And btw I do love " clowns "...

Cangab37: My first Camino was also from Sarria, and I met some wonderful people also starting from Sarria and only able to walk the last 100 km. We were all new to the Camino, sometimes we had no clue what we were doing or where we were going, and we were all eager to meet new people and talk to each other. It was a blast!

My second Camino, I again only had 5 days available, so I walked from León to Ponferrada. I chose to stay in private hostels this second time, and enjoyed them. On both Caminos, I never felt that other pilgrims were judging me for "only" walking shorter distances - like everyone else here has said, the culture once you get onto the Camino is, for the most part, accepting, open, and respectful. One thing I did notice, though, was that sometimes the "longer hikers" were not as keen and eager to talk to me as I was to talk to them. But 1) I'm a voracious extrovert so I love meeting new people and 2) I totally understood where they were coming from, since they had already hiked 500-700km and met loads of people. So I tried not to pounce on all the pilgrims I met and ask them tons of questions, but give them space to go deeper with me as they wanted. That's probably good advice for meeting everyone in life, not just the long-hiking pilgrims on the Camino! Ha.

So - buen Camino and enjoy the time that you have on the trail!

€46,-
Hi,

Thanks so much all of you for your comments, it's absolutely right that my mother and I will walk our own camino and hopefully be able to find this awesome spiritually experience we are looking for.
We have been training a little and we already have some of our stuff ready (even a pair of blue jeans;)) we are really excited about this.

I know that for some people what I wrote might sound rude for my first post but it is important for all of us to be aware that some comments we make might be discouraging someone that is seeking for information at this forum and it might influence others in their decision to walk or not the Camino. Everybody has the right to live this experience according to their own circumstances and we should respect all of them.

Hope to meet some of you in October.

Buen Camino.
When do you start in October? Lots of the SJPP September starters will be getting to Sarria in October. If all goes well for us I anticipate we will be there towards the end of the first week/start of the second week of October.

Your camino is your camino no matter how you do it and where from and too. I have walked different caminos differently. I have been know to catch a bus when a companion wanted to, and one of these days (maybe next month when I am there?) I would quite like to go up to O'Cebreiro on horseback for the experience. In fact I am only taking a daypack this time so maybe there will be some who think me a touringo but so what? Do I care what they think? No, because I am taking care of myself by easing my load. It is often said that we walk two simultaneous caminos. One is the physical and the other is the mental. After walking a few times I have come to recognise one important thing - I know nothing of that person and their circumstances or needs, so who am I to criticise? If they choose to be critical of others that is their shortcoming and may their camino teach them better.

This is really interesting because I am just planning a pilgrimage by coach for June 2-11 next year. My co-leader thinks it should be called Pilgrimage for Softies but I prefer The Geriatric Pilgrimage. Everyone is well over retirement age and I am aware of someone with a pacemaker, another with cancer, and one with early onset Alzheimer's, another with arthritis, plus another with a blood ailment I don't understand at all. There is no way they could do a 'proper' pilgrimage but they are certainly 'proper' pilgrims. If they could put the clock back they would walk every inch of the Way.
People who are walking the whole way carrying everything and sleeping in dormitories, give thanks that you are relatively young, fit and able to do it! I have personally walked 450 miles, the first 180 in the very basic manner!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When do you start in October? Lots of the SJPP September starters will be getting to Sarria in October. If all goes well for us I anticipate we will be there towards the end of the first week/start of the second week of October.

Hi,

I will be starting on October 13th, 2014.

Hi,

Cangab37, in my experience, those who are only walking the last 100k are sometimes the most dedicated pilgrims you'll find. Why? Because perhaps like you they only have limited time/funds. They can't do the entire Camino in one long stretch. They instead come back, year after year, section by section, until they complete it. Now that, to me, is dedication. (I cant imagine the difficulty in trying to psyche myself up over and over, until I finally had a compestella in my hand!). Another thing to remember is that we are all human and we all have egos and sometimes we like to satisfy that egos urge to be "better" than someone else. Those who would judge you for only walking from Sarria are also the ones who judged someone else for not carrying as heavy a pack as they did, or not walking as many kilometers a day, or ........you get the picture. Just remember, the "issues" they have are theirs, not yours. I kind of liked running into the newbies toward the end because they asked a lot of questions and it helped me really see and appreciate what I'd accomplished already. So, relax and enjoy every moment of every day, regardless of what someone else might say.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,

I will be starting on October 13th, 2014.
It would be nice if our paths cross and we walk some of the way with you! We have backpacks with a forum badge and a kangaroo patch so make sure you say hello if you see us.

Enjoy your training and buen camino.

Hi,

It's interesting that people talk about the harshness of the written word, but I experienced the harshness of the spoken word. I was a self named posh pilgrim, who opted for luggage transfer and hotels. Nevertheless, I walked 775k my way. This prompted comments about me being a tourist not a pilgrim. Don't judge, I wanted to scream, because what is not evident, is that for all the competition about who does it rougher, people fail to see the non visible disability. I have multiple sclerosis so to complete the walk at all was a massive personal achievement. So, when some people say it's your walk, walk it your way, it can sometimes be interpreted to as long as it's my way. That said, I had a blast and it was a truly amazing experience.

Stop worrying about what other people think, it's just an opinion about something. Enjoy walking your Camino, you'll be just fine! :)

I only walked for 10 days due to work commitments, and I agree there is an elitist attitude coming from some people. All I can say is just enjoy your experience and make it your own. No one can take that from you.

Hi,

ok... whatever your faith/spirituality is, it's time for a little meditation. please don't begin your journey with a sense of disappointment which you're starting to internalize. look at your words. you're not walking 'part of the Camino' - you're walking the Camino! :) start there. people's judgements are their judgements - and the grass is green. nothing will change that. people already judge you for what you do for work, what you wear, what you eat - we should be used to it. it's just that on the camino our sensibilities are bared and things hurt or please us deeper. i've wept because a local gifted me cherries from their tree - haha! many people, not all, but many walk long distances and spend most of the time yapping or totally distracted. your trail will be shorter. use that as a momento to appreciate every step and every experience be it positive, negative or neutral. maybe start your day with a mantra or prayer to remember to be present. eating a small wedge of pie and enjoying every bite has more value than wolfing down the whole thing and not appreciating it. i will say one thing - i've walked from Le Puy, from Seville, and from Arles, and more than few times people/groups who've had their baggage sent ahead, or who walked a few hours and then got a ride, because they haven't spent all day in the sun/rain or laboring - were 'relaxed,' loud, overbearing, etc... that lack of sensitivity is what i found frustrating, not their means. check out the first half of Cousineau's The Art of Pilgrimage for a few ideas of how to set the mind into a sense of appreciation - wishing you much peace
jim

" the people starting at Sarria are probably less evil and don't have as many sins to do penance for as those of us who started at SJPDP--can't imagine what those who walk more than once have done!
AT last!! I have the reason I felt compelled to walk from SJPDP!! Truly there has always been a part of me that is/was almost jealous of those who could happily begin in Burgos, Leon, Astorga or Sarria. For reasons that until just now, I didn't understand (Thank you XinLoi!!) Of course those who know me are all probably sitting and nodding and saying "of course!!"

Cangab37...don't let anything dissuade you from your own trip and pilgrimage. Two of my most favorite pilgrims are two ladies from Sweden who saved me on my last 100km, their first 100!! They truly made those last days a joy and I will be forever grateful to them.

Buen Camino to you and your mom!!

Hi,

I too am walking from Sarria with my wife and friend beginning in early October so perhaps we will see you on the Camino. Go at your own pace and do not worry about others or what they think.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Cangab37 have a lovely walk with your Mum and don't go spending a fortune on quick dry clothing. It is only old fashioned bri-nylon. Sweaty and horrible. Just take old light weight favourites. I didn't even bother going to get my Compostela when I walked the Portuguese route. I knew I had done it...

0Hi
It is your decision and your Camino, you should not worry about explaining how far and for how long you are walking, and where you sleep. You should just walk your own way and enjoy your time.

I did my first Camino for 5 days (130km) with my daughter and booked all the places we went to. It worked out for us brilliantly.

Buen Camino

Hi,

I just hope I get to know people that does not make a difference during my walking and understand that everybody has their own circumstances to do the things the way they are doing them without judging[/QUOTE
Does it really matters to you what ANYBODY thinks? Really? Plenty of great, amazing people on the Camino. Be glad if anybody lets you know what they think of your pilgrimage. That way you know who not to waste your time on. I heard some pilgrims making snarky remarks about "tourgrinos". Frequently, it came from some young buck who also frequently got wasted at night and annoyed the rest of the albergue occupants.....because THAT is the TRUE pilgrim ;).
The only advise I would have for you is if you have limited time do not waste it doing the Sarria-Santiago portion. It is NOT the nicest, nor the prettiest part of the Camino, people are NOT the friendliest, food is not that much more remarkable . IF you must have the Compostela, well then go ahead. Otherwise, a pilgrimage without a Compostela still a pilgrimage. Start in SJPDP, Logrono, Pamplona, Ponferrda, O'Cebreiro and walk as far as you can. I've been on the Camino at least 5 times and that is what I have learned.
The fact that you feel compelled to write concerned about this tells me you need to leave some "baggage" on the Camino and fill it back with "could not care less" attitude. Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you are really worried why not consider Ferrol to SDC on the Ingles? 110k of nice country, no-one starting from further away. Also fits in well with 10 days holiday as it can take 5 days (or as many more as you want with many taking 6 to break the long section up). There is a bus from SDC to Ferrol. So all in all you have time to travel (don't know where you are from), to walk, and to enjoy SDC. But either way don't worry about others it is your camino to do your way!

1.- why do you make a difference from the ones that decide to walk from Sarria than the ones that walk all the way?

2.- why everybody is so mad if someone decides to take advantage of booking albergues or hotels in advanced or even use a tour company to help with the walking?

You have given the answer in your statements above. Human nature is such that we generalize when encountering some sort of sensitivity.......you have done that in your statements when, in fact, it is abundantly clear that *everybody* isn't so mad.
If you get a vibe of someone not liking something that you do, why let it bother you? If you don't like *everyones* attitude on the forum, why read it?
In reality, if someone is making a negative comment, there is usually a reason behind it. We muttered, half jokingly but half seriously, about the "touregrinos" on the tour buses after Pamplona but it was because we were hot and tired and wished we could get on the air conditioned bus at each stop, have our luggage transported, and drink icy beverages along the way. However, we chose not to do it that way.
We muttered about the Sarrians, half jokingly and half serious, only because we were so tired at that point and wished we were fresh with clean clothes.
Any comments like those would be *our* problem, not yours.
We booked ahead, and didn't stay in albergues. Did we worry about what anyone thought? No way! That fit our way of doing it. Do we care if someone thinks you shouldn't carry a phone or ipad? Nope.

Don't be sensitive about it and don't generalize. There is no "everybody" here.

caroleannelc, I too would like to express my admiration. I'm an unashamed posh/touristy pilgrim with no disabilities...and all I can say is: wow.

I walked for a while with a French lady on the Le Puy route who was in constant pain from arthritis, extending to the legs. When I asked her companions (quietly) how far she hoped to get they replied without hesitation: Santiago. We were in the Causses region of France at the time. Like you, she was having a blast.

Again, wow.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is also a huge difference between those who start a pilgrimage in Sarria and those youth groups that are doing it for fun screaming, drinking and leaving kitchens without cleaning etc etc. You seldom see them before Sarria. They are the turigrinos for me. Their behaviour has nothing to do with pilgrimage. They are on a cheap vacation. But they are there and it just to accept. And if you are lucky you don't end up in the same albergue as them.

Regarding bookings I don't look down on people doing them. I just get a little frustrated when I have walked 40 km with my backpack and comes to an empty albergue that has a completo sign up because inside there is 12 suitcases waiting for some peregrinos with daypacks that will have walked about 10-20 km that day starting late and stopping anywhere they want as they know they have a bed. For me the freedom is the most important part of the Camino and bookings forces me to book as well or walk less or more then the body wants that day.

But I never ever judge the people walking here. Everyone has their reasons to do it the way they do. I get judged a lot both on the Camino and in the forum for walking fast and long distances a day and I just don't care. The Camino is a ego centric journey but you still have to interact with others and their needs. You will understand when you are there.

The Camino is a big, muddy metaphor for life, and as in life there are those who wish to impose a judgement on our choices. Fortunately on the Camino their judgement cannot harm you, so it's a useful arena in which to decide how to deal with that judgement. On my last Camino, in one case I decided to challenge it instead of resorting to my usual passive-aggressive tutting and muttering. It helped me do the same in a situation at work once I returned home. Anyway, you'll meet more people supportive of your choices on your Camino than not
Yes!Metaphor for life, The Camino, I've read that so many times in this forum. If someone decide to do things in life to achieve their goals, it doesn't really worry me as long as they're not breaking the law, even then it's not my job to keep an eye on them. They can do whatever they want, it's their life, and I can do whatever I want with my life too, because it's my life, I get to decide. In the Camino, if I want to linger, take my time, pick some wildflowers, talk to the cows, smell the hay, inspect the bridges, bathe in the river, and whatever else I'd like to do, I will do. I won't be racing just because everyone else is. If I don't get a bed, so be it. I'll find another one. Just like in my life, I'd like to take things easy, enjoy things because I may not pass this way again. If I get to, it would be a great!

It's interesting that people talk about the harshness of the written word, but I experienced the harshness of the spoken word. I was a self named posh pilgrim, who opted for luggage transfer and hotels. Nevertheless, I walked 775k my way. This prompted comments about me being a tourist not a pilgrim. Don't judge, I wanted to scream, because what is not evident, is that for all the competition about who does it rougher, people fail to see the non visible disability. I have multiple sclerosis so to complete the walk at all was a massive personal achievement. So, when some people say it's your walk, walk it your way, it can sometimes be interpreted to as long as it's my way. That said, I had a blast and it was a truly amazing experience.

Simply loving this post:D

carolanneelc-- my hat is off to you and YOUR pilgrimage!

By pure coincidence, I've just been reading the thread " Disappointing arrival in Santiago" and I came across a posting
There you are, don't tell me that this is not biased!:(
Anne

Just came across this and felt I need to comment. People express their opinions and experiences all the time, and you should keep in mind that they are opinions. Also keep in mind context. Anne thinks there is some kind of bias against anyone who completes only the last 100km, which is completely untrue. I was joined by mom mom, who only went the last 100km and she only did it to join me. She was, in fact, a tourist, though not in a traditional sense. People walk the Camino for all types of reasons and there's nothing wrong with only doing a smaller part, or with using baggage transport, or with skipping when starting from somewhere farther back along the way.

But there is the possibility of becoming frustrated with having a more difficult time finding beds. As Dutch pointed out earlier: "It is on the other hand also true that alot (not all) of the "100km" pilgrims do come into the whole camino thing with a different point of view. For a majority it is a fieldtrip, a holiday, where as alot of the longer distance walkers look at it differently." It is this different attitude, carried by people who are walking the Camino as a "fieldtrip" that could be annoying. I simply ignored those people for the most part. But there was a VERY biased response by the priest giving the sermon before the swinging of the botafumeiro against these people.

As mentioned previously, think about why you're doing the Camino. As long as it makes sense to you, don't worry about others. But I don't think you would encounter anyone who would be outright hostile, though there might be some who express their own views that might conflict with yours. Just ignore them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There is also a huge difference between those who start a pilgrimage in Sarria and those youth groups that are doing it for fun screaming, drinking and leaving kitchens without cleaning etc etc. You seldom see them before Sarria. They are the turigrinos for me. Their behaviour has nothing to do with pilgrimage. They are on a cheap vacation. But they are there and it just to accept. And if you are lucky you don't end up in the same albergue as them.

Regarding bookings I don't look down on people doing them. I just get a little frustrated when I have walked 40 km with my backpack and comes to an empty albergue that has a completo sign up because inside there is 12 suitcases waiting for some peregrinos with daypacks that will have walked about 10-20 km that day starting late and stopping anywhere they want as they know they have a bed. For me the freedom is the most important part of the Camino and bookings forces me to book as well or walk less or more then the body wants that day.

But I never ever judge the people walking here. Everyone has their reasons to do it the way they do. I get judged a lot both on the Camino and in the forum for walking fast and long distances a day and I just don't care. The Camino is a ego centric journey but you still have to interact with others and their needs. You will understand when you are there.

I get soooo many comments on walking fast. The most stupid things have been said, such as 'that is not how your supposed to....' I dont get that. I've still to see the handbook on how to walk a camino or "camino for dummies". Can somebody maybe email me a copy?
I couldnt walk slower if i wanted to. But if i try to explain that, nobody (wants to) understand. They know one way and one way only and that is their own way. So shortsighted.
I'd be dead tired by the end of the walking day if i walked slow, but while walking fast, i have energy to spare to go eat, drink and stroll around a new city and all that without even napping like soooo many people (younger then me) do.

So you also get comments on walking long distances? How weird. Why?

Dear Cangab37

How wonderful that you have 10 days to walk with your mother on the Camino!
I hope that after reading all the many comments you will experience the love and support that I truly experienced on this forum and also whilst walking the Camino.

I considered myself privileged that I had enough time available to walk a longer distance, and that my feet lasted despite the abuse I put them through.

I remember having breakfast in Sarria with a Spanish father and son, who where just starting their walk. They were looking very excited, slightly nervous, and totally unprepared. A bit like I felt when I started in SJPP. So it was a particular joy to see them several times on the way, enjoying each other's company on one of the greatest experiences of their lives - their Camino together. It did not matter one scrap that they walked a relatively shorter distance. What would they have missed if they decided to stay at home just because they didn't have enough time to walk 500 miles?

May your camino be truly blessed and may you also experience the warm hospitality of Spain, and the encouragement along the way of your fellow pilgrims.

I didn't catch where you're from Cangab37, but I'm guessing from the States. Not everyone knows that most people in the US do not get 4 to 6 weeks vacation. They are lucky if they get one week, really lucky if they get two. Add to that the travel time across the Atlantic and you run out of time fast. And if you are from the States, then you're probably health insurance poor as well, if you have health insurance at all. But as well all know, money issues are a big problem for most of the world currently. I didn't feel that your post was negative, but one who picked up on a prejudice that exists, but doesn't predominate. Pay no attention to the minority who feel that way. They may not realise your limitations (time & money) and therefore don't understand your concerns.

Just walk. I think once you begin, you'll realise you're having an overall good experience. Mine included a "flasher." While a bit startling at first, but it makes a great story now!

€46,-
I didn't catch where you're from Cangab37, but I'm guessing from the States. Not everyone knows that most people in the US do not get 4 to 6 weeks vacation. They are lucky if they get one week, really lucky if they get two. Add to that the travel time across the Atlantic and you run out of time fast. And if you are from the States, then you're probably health insurance poor as well, if you have health insurance at all. But as well all know, money issues are a big problem for most of the world currently. I didn't feel that your post was negative, but one who picked up on a prejudice that exists, but doesn't predominate. Pay no attention to the minority who feel that way. They may not realise your limitations (time & money) and therefore don't understand your concerns.

Just walk. I think once you begin, you'll realise you're having an overall good experience. Mine included a "flasher." While a bit startling at first, but it makes a great story now!

Actually I'm from Mexico and is even more expensive to cross the ocean and save for the expenses of 10 days in euros as with almost 20 mexican pesos we only buy 1 euro or 1.5 usd, anyway I'm really excited, my mom too and I've continued learning from this forum and hope to have a great time in October 2014!!!

Hi,

I understand what you are writing. The focus of the Camino is to attempt to suspend judgment. In my opinion anyway. I found myself feeling discouraged and negative at one point on my Camino this year. That is when I decided to "unfollow" a certain Facebook group where I felt the comments were too negative and were allowing my small mind to project into the future and frame my reality instead of allowing my own experience to guide me for better or worse. I was a much happier peregrina after I did that. Too much social media can affect us in uncomfortable ways. That said, I do appreciate the wisdom and practical advice that forms the major content of this forum. ¡Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,

Valid point I mus admit ............. as important as the camino has become to me and the fun I get out of it - I have this residing thougt in the forefront of my mind that no one really cares how important it is to me. I also know it doesnt matter in the grand scheme how (or whether) I walk the camino at all. I simply won't stoop to that level where I judge some one else on something as silly as whether or not they carried a backpack or took a cab while they were (ostensibly) on their vacation. The problem with something like an online forum is people write what is in their mind. Very likely no one will say anything to you. Enjoy your time with your mom - this is going to be a memory you can share for the rest of your lives :)

Buen Camio!

The fact is, many (even MOST) of the people who insist you MUST carry your pack and you MUST walk every step of the way haven't walked one step on the Camino.
Or they've done it once.

I had that attitude!
I remember seeing a group of pilgrims with daypacks and thinking, "They're not REAL pilgrims!"

Now… after so many Caminos, I've learned there is no such thing as a "real" pilgrim.
And there's no one way to walk the Camino.

I now bus certain stages and I have my pack transported whenever I feel a need to rest.

I have walked the Frances 7 times now, the Aragones 3 times, and portions of most of the other routes.
Last year, I suggested to a person who had shin splints that they bus the next stage and rest or at least hire pack transport.
A young man looked at me, scoffed and said, "You mustn't BUS. And you MUST carry your pack, or you're not really a pilgrim!"
I laughed and said, "Really? And how many times have you walked this route?"

I could have argued with him, but the bottom line is, I used to be him.
I just quietly told the other person, "Walk the Camino YOUR way - don't injure yourself for someone else's idea of what YOU should do."

So.. my advice is to ignore everyone else and just walk it YOUR way!
I take small groups of people who need a little help getting started.
One thing I notice is that after 2 or 3 days on the trail, they "get it" and are no longer afraid.
They're often out the door and on the trail way ahead of me.
Almost all of them could have done it on their own, but the security of having an experienced pilgrim along eased their discomfort.

Some wear packs, some don't.
One lady bussed almost every stage last year, and she still enjoyed the Camino.
She was honest at the pilgrim office and got a nice Certificate of Distance because she didn't even walk the last 100 k.
But she loved every minute.

So go… ignore everyone… plan YOUR Camino and go.
Join a group if you want.
Bus if you want.
Hire bag transport if you want.
Book ahead (if you're SMART!)
And just go..

The only persons to pay attention to, in my opinion, are the people at the Pilgrim Office in SJPP and those who have walked the route at least once.
Listen to them, then make up your mind based on their experience.

So go… ignore everyone… plan YOUR Camino and go.
Join a group if you want.
Bus if you want.
Hire bag transport if you want.
Book ahead (if you're SMART!)
And just go..

Agree 100%.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,

Please know that when you walk YOUR camino, letting go of the comments (judgments, opinions) of others is the first step to making the camino your own journey. Perhaps it will be good practice for letting go of others' opinions of you or what you do when you get back home. I don't know you at all, but I do know that so many people depend on what other think of them, and so often it drives us to try to be people we are NOT. If you are a meat eater and know vegetarians, do you stop enjoying your burger or steak? I hope not. If you chose not to have children, do you get pregnant because some people tell you that you are selfish to remain childless? I certainly hope not. I would say this is the same sort of thing.

Start where you start. Book the albergues in advance if you need to. You are only less than "others" (whoever they are . . . ) if you let that happen.

I did walk the entire way from France (I had an open-ended ticket, so I had that luxury), I stayed in Santiago holed up at the Martin Pinario Seminario Maior for a week afterward so I could finish writing about my journey. I did call ahead, either the night before or the morning of, most days so I would know I had a bed at the end of a tiring but exhilarating day. Others walked farther daily (or not), stopped less (or more), ate more (or less), spent more (or less). Some prayed. I did not. I went alone because I didn't want to depend on others if I got tired sooner, or if I got blisters (lucky that I didn't get those).

But if you are already disappointed by comments from a few people on this or any forum, before you even start, I suggest you take a breath, clear your head of everything but YOUR intention, YOUR process, YOUR needs, and blow the rest away. Otherwise, you will be disappointed for your whole journey (and probably for your whole life). Listen to those who encourage you, NOT those who make general judgments that aren't even directed at you personally.

Buon Camino!

Hi,

You are putting way way way too much importance on others' opinions, feelings, idiosyncrasies--. Don't sweat the small stuff, and as they say, "it's all small stuff."

Don't let the rambling complaints on an internet forum, by people you don't even know, put you off from doing YOUR Camino and enjoying it.
Lord knows I have griped enough myself about the pilgrims doing the last 100 km. But it's just that. Griping. And I always had a place to stay at the end of the day.
People complain. People are rude. Some albergues are good, and some are bad. Nothing is perfect on the Camino. Still, it is a really cool thing to do. Even if you only do the last 100 km.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Everybody walks their own path and takes their own journey no matter how long or short. Now that I have said that I believe that some opinions come from another perspective.
When I walked the Camino last year I could not help but notice the tour buses that would come and let people off and then wait up the road to pick them up. Some tours even brought their groups snacks. That doesn't make their journey less or more than mine. I my opinion it makes the journey less personal. Some tour groups i heard about make the slow people feel pressured to keep pace with people that are walking fast. While walking the Camino I saw two older people that didn't walk at all. They took taxis from town to town. This was their Camino.
I really don't feel I should judge anyone's journey.
As I walked by the tour groups something inside of me longed to have a bus waiting to pick me up and take me to the next town. A snack would have been the cherry on top at times. The tour bus was not something I had planned on my Camino. I wanted to walk it from St.Jean Pied dePort to Santiago. I wanted to complete something and I had the time. It was important to me.
It is not the 10 days that make your journey. It is not just a walk or a hike. It is what you make of those 10 days. Savior the experience.
Buen Camino

Hi,

Frankly, I don't know why people are so concerned about what others think. Here as well as in real life.

It is your life and your Camino and you decide what to do with it. Why you walk, how far you walk, how you walk, with whom or alone, what year, time of year, what you bring etc.

I have always found that whatever you do in life, there is always somebody who will criticize it. I say, figure it out yourself, what you want to do and don't give a toss about others (unless its positive feedback)

Note that this is obviously different to seeking and adhering to advice, although the same "rule" apply, you and you only decide whether to listen, accept and comply with that advice.

Buen Camino, I am sure that you will enjoy it immensely once you're on the go.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
FAO Biloute message #60.

People express their opinions and experiences all the time, and you should keep in mind that they are opinions. Also keep in mind context. Anne thinks there is some kind of bias against anyone who completes only the last 100km, which is completely untrue.

Is that last sentence a contradiction to your advice in the first?

Hi,

you are right, this is your walk. do what makes you happy. send your bags on if you want, take a bus if you want occasionally. it is your camino and sadly some people get a bit precious. i am 2/3 of the way through and will walk with anyone. i have stayed in albuerges and pensiones and both are fun, the one i am in right now is just like the rooms in the grand budapest hotel. pack lightly, have fun. stop reading posts and have the journey that you deserve!!

I look for the posts everyday...Everyday I am more excited when I read the stories, humor and experiences of the people posting. I really haven's seen much negativity and If I did..I took no note. I try to see the glass as half full. If reading these posts upsets you, perhaps it's best not to continue reading them. Just saying. :)

€46,-
Too many ANTS (anticipated negative thoughts)! Do not assume that, just because caminoholics like to quibble about details, that they are against these variances. Everyone knows that it's all about the walking, and the other aspects are contextual. Most posts -- and I've been following the forum closely for years as I am a repeating pilgrim and it's a great place for real-time updates-- are supportive and searching for ways to be of help. While I have seen occasional bits of negativity, all one can do is sigh and hope that s/he goes on the Camino soon.

Accommodations preferred have a lot to do with personal circumstances and preferences. Like footwear, it's all very individual. I like my own bathroom and am happy to pay for it; others delight in the camaraderie and intimacy of the albergues. For some, scratching up a meal with a few strangers at the end of a long day is paradise; I delight in the goodness of Spain's food and wine. We're all walking; it's all good.

I walked from SJPP and met some lovely people on 'the way'. A Spanish mother and 2 twelve year old boys. Yes they had booked ahead as the Spanish do but we talked and walked so much that they had to cancel their lodgings as we had passed them. We are still in touch after 4 years and the 12 year old, now 17 is studying in our home town in England. I have many face book camino friends. The Spanish and Portuguese I met on the Lisbon camino shared their accomadation with us. Sometimes it was a school room floor or at the fire station (bomberos) but they were such fun and so caring.

Hi Cangab, I didn't have time to read all of the comments, so someone might have mentioned it, but anyway I would like to share some thoughts with you.

Whatever situation you are having right now, don't fall for comparing with others. It is the worst thing anyone can do. Once you start comparing with others, you are setting a "who is more, who is less" point of view on yourself and definitely will end in some aspects worse than the others. Once you start comparing, you will always lose.

Everyone faces different circumstances in life. And it is very wise to adjust to them if you cannot change them. Everyone can adjust and plan their Camino in any way he/she wishes. Your Camino will be designed in the shape that you give it. So make sure you shape it according to your needs, your wishes and your desires :)

I am encouraging you to plan your Camino the way that works for you the best. You don't need to apologize to anyone, you don't need to rationalize anything. Everyone is responsible only for their personal decisions. Everyone can plan their Camino as they wish.

Keep in mind that you will be walking your own personal and unique Camino. Like everyone else will be :) And you will be all different. You will meet a lot of peole having a lot of various opinions. Once you accept that not everyone might be positive, you will allow yourself to experience peace :) Someone can be positive, someone can be negative, and some people won't even care :) Allow yourself to have it the way that suits you the best :)

The truth is that only you are the one responsible of your Camino to be the best experience of your life.

Make a plan that suits you best, walk it, experience it and enjoy it :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,

I am walking the Camino right now. Do not worry. It is so very supportive and friendly. You will enjoy yourself.
We have not heard any negative comments. Please relax and look forward to a wonderful experience.

Janka- I think you exceeded that maximum number of smiley faces in one post. :) :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Cangab, no worries, just remember...Not my circus and not my monkey's...then let your soul experience the Camino on your terms....Cheers!!! :)

Even one step, a single solitary step, done with Devotion, Love and Reverence, will make all the difference
I would take pride after a million, million steps

If I could but once, to prove my devotion, take but a single step, out of reverence and respect on the road, i would be filled with joy.because after having Journeyed thousands of miles, walked endless days in preparation
to stand upon the doorway, and take the step through into the Camino
it would be wonderful!
the devotion outweighs the distance
the determination outlasts the detriment
Hope...carries your feet to the end of the road, wherever, when ever it ends.

if every step, done with love and devotion to your hopes and desires of the Caminos meaning, is completed in your Soul
then the distance has no meaning,
The Penance is paid in full... i humbly think.

Peace to all and to you Pelegrino

As I tell my students, "What other people think, say, or do is not your business."
Enjoy YOUR Camino. How wonderful that you are going with your mother.
- Monica :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This thread does remind me of a well remembered pilgrim. He was an earnest, overtly religious, sackcloth-and-ashes purist. With heavy pack. And strongly held convictions about who was and who was not a "proper" pilgrim. Was suffering, and had been for many hundreds of km, from a terribly painful knee and hugely swollen ankle, refusing every suggestion of rest days and buses. My impulsive, foot-in-the-mouth, insensitive husband, in casual conversation commented "You must have sinned a lot". It did not go down well.

This thread does remind me of a well remembered pilgrim. He was an earnest, overtly religious, sackcloth-and-ashes purist. With heavy pack. And strongly held convictions about who was and who was not a "proper" pilgrim. Was suffering, and had been for many hundreds of km, from a terribly painful knee and hugely swollen ankle, refusing every suggestion of rest days and buses. My impulsive, foot-in-the-mouth, insensitive husband, in casual conversation commented "You must have sinned a lot". It did not go down well.
:):):);) I am pretty sure I like your husband!

Hi,

---Do not go there--buying into what others say. The important, and I mean the only important thing, is that you walk. To walk it with your mother is a very blessed experience which no one else can ever do and ever understand what that means to you. You will find wonderful people on the Camino who do not judge you, nor should they. Don´t judge them either. Look forward to it, do it. One thing is for sure: It is your Camino. Define it. Let others define what theirs is and what the experience means to them. If they want complaining and ill feelings to be part of the Camino experience, let them have it. It doesn´t matter how far you have walked, if you have those feelings, it is part of your Camino. Have YOUR Camino and enjoy, benefit. Blessings for a 3 time Pilgrim---Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back