• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feeling rather irritated....

Angie94

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - 2016 www.angie-carter.com/camino
https://youtu.be/PtE_hvREZc4
I never thought of myself as an over-controlling person or one who tries to complicate the heck out of situations...this journey I'm about to take may prove that to be a false view of self. (taking my 1st camino May/June of 2016)

I have worried, fussed over, fretted, been fearful, anxious, and definitely over analyzed everything about this trip.

When I think about the thousands of pilgrims before modern times who made this trek
1) without the aid of 'special footwear', cell phones, GPS, top of the line backpacks and gear, etc..
2) without wicking/quick dry clothing
3) no ability to tap into the experience of others on a daily basis - who by the way offer constant assurance and support that things will be okay
4) did not have the comfort of knowing there is always transportation on hand if needed, or means to send the pack ahead
5) no ability to stay in contact with family and friends - on a daily basis if desired
6) did not have guaranteed accommodations out of the elements
7) did not have the luxury and assurance that a hot meal awaited them at the end of each days jaunt.
8) had to endure the fear that they may actually get killed because of taking this pilgrimage.
9) who had to walk ALL THE WAY BACK home once arriving in Santiago.

When I think of these things I become irritated with my thinking and feel like such a lightweight in comparison to those brave people. I am not trying to "beat myself up" I am just trying to gain some perspective with this whole overanalyzing, self-absorbed thought process I seem to engage in about this journey.
I am beginning to bore myself with it!

I think I will get busy with some volunteer activities I used to do...get out of my own head for awhile.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Angie, you must also remember that all those pilgrims walked in their own time/era and as such used what was available to them in their time. As time went on what they wore and brought changed, now it is your time/era and you will bring what is of your time just as everyone did in theirs. Don't over think it, just enjoy it.
Buen Camino.

I never thought of myself as an over-controlling person or one who tries to complicate the heck out of situations...this journey I'm about to take may prove that to be a false view of self. (taking my 1st camino May/June of 2016)

I have worried, fussed over, fretted, been fearful, anxious, and definitely over analyzed everything about this trip.

When I think about the thousands of pilgrims before modern times who made this trek
1) without the aid of 'special footwear', cell phones, GPS, top of the line backpacks and gear, etc..
3) no ability to tap into the experience of others on a daily basis - who by the way offer constant assurance and support that things will be okay
4) did not have the comfort of knowing there is always transportation on hand if needed, or means to send the pack ahead
5) no ability to stay in contact with family and friends - on a daily basis if desired
7) did not have the luxury and assurance that a hot meal awaited them at the end of each days jaunt.
8) had to endure the fear that they may actually get killed because of taking this pilgrimage.

When I think of these things I become irritated with my thinking and feel like such a lightweight in comparison to those brave people. I am not trying to "beat myself up" I am just trying to gain some perspective with this whole overanalyzing, self-absorbed thought process I seem to engage in about this journey.

I think I will get busy with some volunteer activities I used to do...get out of my own head for awhile.

I love your post and just know that you are going to have a wonderful Camino. Can I suggest 2 things (which you may well have already thought of): 1) I'm a terrible over analyser myself (so renowned for it had been remembered in Santiago for 38 years). Try to step out with a clear mind without "how I want my Camino to be". Let it come round the corner to you, over the bridge, out from the woods - you can't see magic by looking straight at it. 2) as well as thinking about the thousands of pilgrims who travelled through it, think (look, listen, smell, touch) about the people whose land you are walking through. This is their land, their Patron saint, their culture and there are other stories there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Angie94, maybe the over-analyzing and obsessing has do do with our need to take so little, and pack so light? Just like it's more difficult to write well with fewer words, it's harder to travel with less stuff (not when walking, but when in the figuring-it-out stage.) For me, "backpacking light" is a new skill. I'm guessing that once the first hike is under our belt, there will be much less fretting, fussing, and worrying the next time. I'm looking forward to NOT planning anymore once I'm on my way April 15th.

Yeah, you are definitely way overthinking it. Just go do it and reflect later on.
On my last Camino I kind of overthought the whole notion of what the Camino has become in some circles. How to some degree it has become a pastime of only those that can afford it. I looked around a lot and wondered "where are the faithful poor?" That bothered me for a while, but once I reminded myself why I was there, I put the overthinking aside and reminded myself how fortunate I was to be able to walk it, while so many out there that want to cannot.
I would certainly never create a Camino of hardship without modern trappings in a bizarre attempt to recreate the experience of a pilgrim of old. Why? It would be absurd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading The Age of Pilgrimage The Medieval Journey to God by Jonathan Sumption has been a real eye opener for me. We assume a lot of things about the pilgrims of past, but this goes into some depth of what it was like for a pilgrim in Europe in the past. I like to take in a little bit of it every evening as it is quite long, but very informative.

We have made all (5) our caminos without a phone and when we find wifi, we send a message home. I do a lot of research before we leave, but try to keep it simple once we walk out our front door.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Angie94, maybe the over-analyzing and obsessing has do do with our need to take so little, and pack so light? Just like it's more difficult to write well with fewer words, it's harder to travel with less stuff (not when walking, but when in the figuring-it-out stage.) For me, "backpacking light" is a new skill. I'm guessing that once the first hike is under our belt, there will be much less fretting, fussing, and worrying the next time. I'm looking forward to NOT planning anymore once I'm on my way April 15th.
I agree with this. I want to make sure that everything I bring is the right thing and useful, because of the weight issue. I've ordered about 8 pairs of shoes from Amazon and Zappos so far in search of the perfect pair. :)

I think many of us Newbies went through those thought processes. And as mentioned above, maybe it is first fuelled by the thoughts that we must travel 'light' and are then faced with so many options.

What you are thinking now is probably very healthy ;)

Once you start walking, a little piece of Magic will happen.
You'll no longer care about all those packing decisions, phone decisions, lodging decisions....
You'll relax, life will become simple.
But you'll be glad that you researched all that stuff about boots and packs and blisters. And glad that you read the advice of the wise multiple Camino 'old hands'.

And that will just make you more comfortable, more relaxed, and even less worried about what lays ahead :)

And as a result of, or in spite of, all that worrying about worrying, and obsessive research.........life will be good ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Angie, you are not a pilgrim of yesteryear. You are a pilgrim of today accustomed to the benefits and technologies of today. Don't berate yourself for living today - you cannot change that fact. Don't worry that you enjoy the technologies of today - better to know them than to be completely ignorant of them.

Our sacrifices of today; our work, our obligations, our stress factors, etc. are all different than they were for pilgrims of yesteryear.

If we should do anything it is find a balance in our lives. Learn to be grateful for today without being beholden to its demands. We can all learn to simplify our lives and appreciate the simpleness of ancient times. It is obvious that happiness has nothing to do with either having all the benefits of today or having none of them. Happiness is found elsewhere.

Yes, you are in your head too much - get a cup of tea and count your blessings. Your idea of serving others as a volunteer is an outstanding choice.

Last edited:

i just got the best gear i could and set off in the pouring rain on september 1st walking 3 1/2 hours up to orrisson. if they could transcribe my thoughts that were buzzing through my head it would be a scary thing to read...but its a beautiful journey and just unfolds little by little, day by day, so just keep your head up and move forward...its the best thing i have ever done.

Hi Angie,

Our modern lives are very different to those of medieval pilgrims, but once you are there and walking, relax and immerse yourself in the experience.

Not long to go now. We have previously mentioned the 12th Century Codex Calixtinus, and here is a link to the music from it to help you get in the mood....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
some great feedback on this topic, I appreciate it. I like hearing that I am born in this era, and doing the camino at this time. I guess if God had wanted me to be a pilgrim of yesteryear then I would have been!
So I will move forward, enjoy the conveniences of modern day life, stop overdoing it and definitely NOT buy any more gear. I have plenty...way too much and have already started selling the excess on ebay! (I would like to get The Age of Pilgrimage ~ well....it's not gear!;))

And I agree...some of this fretting and frustration is in attempt to get my packweight down! It started out being fun and challenging, now it's becoming a bit of a pain! :cool:

I am glad for the research I have done as I do believe it will help me and enrich my camino experience.
I really get so much from this forum...thank you! :)

After doing the Camino Frances in 2014 and leaving to do the Camino Portuguese on the 15th of April 2016 I am only worrying about two things. A good pair of boots and getting my pack down to 8 Kilos, the rest will take care of itself and just enjoying the great adventure I will be on!

To be fair most of the pilgrims way back then also had luxuries of the way like the Knights of Santiago guarding the roads and writs from their Lords or they would not have had a pleasant time of it in comparison to earlier times in the 'dark ages.'

I also guarantee it wont be anything like what you think, it will be better. :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

It's not you, it' s the world we live in nowadays. We can't do anything without a phone/gps etc, we can't raise children without having the latest gyzmos, the weather forecasts tell us it's 'orange alert' the minute a bit of heavy rain is forecast (in winter!), we can't take to the ski slopes without the latest helmet....and so on....and so on....
So no, it's not just you, don't feel too guilty about it :)
Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

That's exactly how I've been feeling over the last week. I'm tired of thinking about it! Maybe that's a sign that we are ready with the details, and now it's time to get our hearts in order. I've decided that what I have now is what I am taking. No more checking out other shoes, socks, shirts, hiking pants. Just pack it all and put it away for a few more weeks. I am also having some adrenaline surges of "what the heck am I doing?" Maybe that is what others go through too.

No more checking out other shoes, socks, shirts, hiking pants. Just pack it all and put it away for a few more weeks. I am also having some adrenaline surges of "what the heck am I doing?"
I'm with you on this! I am putting it all away and going with what I got when it comes times. I am ALSO feeling those moments of "what in the heck am I doing? followed by a brief surge of FEAR...but so many have stated that things will be fine - (but my mind drifts over to "yeah, but what all those pilgrims where things WEREN'T fine. I wanna hear from THEM!" hahaha....)
I sometimes feel like we're only getting one side of the coin on here!

But then again "do I really want to know about the times that weren't fine?" I mean really what for?? it will just make the anxiety worse.

Is it a measure of comfort
When facing the unknown
To foster the feeling of the familiar

So that the dark
Is less so...

So that the road
Is more easily traveled

So that the unknown
Is balanced by the familar.

Familiar..in Latin Famili ar
Of Family
Comfort
Home.

Once the darkness has been braved
And the wind and rain touched you
Then the road to freedom opens doors.

The more you leave of the Familiar at home
The more Home..the road becomes.

These are the thoughts of this unfettered Nomad.
Uncluttered and ready to see where the sun goes..and where its been.

The old familiar
Is right there inside you.
Always touchable
Always ready for the day

Clothes and shoes dont make the traveler
The road doesnt make the pilgrim
The Way..is laid out inside you
Which Way...you go, is up to you.

Gird your life to the sticking place
Spend it freely..and wisely

Go!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I understand your frustrations! Fifteen years ago, just minutes before I was about to begin a cross-country drive all by myself on a snowy mid-December morning, a friend said, "Don't forget to breathe!" Her voice and her words of wisdom always come back to me when I am feeling fearful. I breathe and it works--I'm always brought right back into the moment, and feel released. So, Angie...Don't forget to breathe! It really will all work out!

When facing the unknown

So that the dark
Is less so...

So that the road
Is more easily traveled

So that the unknown

Of Family
Comfort
Home.

The old familiar
Always touchable
Always ready for the day

Go!
Wow.......that was superb. Typically I can't understand poetry worth a darn...I have tried and tried to read poetry and I just don't get it. Seems like I can never understand what they are trying to say.
but I get the way you write it. And that my friend makes me very happy!
Who knows, maybe someday I will eventually be able to read some poetry and 'get it' ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm with you on this! I am putting it all away and going with what I got when it comes times. I am ALSO feeling those moments of "what in the heck am I doing? followed by a brief surge of FEAR...but so many have stated that things will be fine - (but my mind drifts over to "yeah, but what all those pilgrims where things WEREN'T fine. I wanna hear from THEM!" hahaha....)
I sometimes feel like we're only getting one side of the coin on here!

But then again "do I really want to know about the times that weren't fine?" I mean really what for?? it will just make the anxiety worse.
I agree. But I don't think everything is supposed to be fine on this Camino. Where is the challenge and growth in that? We should feel fear, cold, pain, being uncomfortable at times, so we can overcome and grow from it. We will learn to appreciate our warm homes, plenty of food and all the other creature comforts we tend to take a little for granted, when we live too soft. I'm anxious to get to know myself again, not as someones wife, Mother, Grandmother, just me...just Judy!! That's why I am coming on my own, to make all my own decisions and plans and to take responsibility for any bad decisions. I'm ready for the challenge, and so are you!!

Joodle
Wonderfully said.
That..THAT is the essence of the Road!

Angie
Your life is your Poetry.
How you live? The Warp
What you do with your life..The Weft

Your life a Tapestry of where youve been
All the shaded walks of the easy times
The harsh light of the sun? Your Reality when times were not so easy.
The Colors? Those who are close to you
The fabric..your decisions

Walk forth in comfort knowing your picture is still not done, still weaving a new part.

Feel the wind
Taste the good waters
Feel the ache in your back
Feel your achey feet.

It is all Life.
Sing, dance about yourself when the utter Joy takes you
Bow your head before the thunder
While the Lightning courses your Veins!

10.000 people talk
1 Walks
10.000 people dare
1 succeeds
10.000 people silent
1....sings.

Go forth unafraid Angie
Take this Life and take a fierce Joy at daring to Live less Ordinary!

That is your everlasting Poetry!

I love your post and just know that you are going to have a wonderful Camino. Can I suggest 2 things (which you may well have already thought of): 1) I'm a terrible over analyser myself (so renowned for it had been remembered in Santiago for 38 years). Try to step out with a clear mind without "how I want my Camino to be". Let it come round the corner to you, over the bridge, out from the woods - you can't see magic by looking straight at it. 2) as well as thinking about the thousands of pilgrims who travelled through it, think (look, listen, smell, touch) about the people whose land you are walking through. This is their land, their Patron saint, their culture and there are other stories there.
Could not have said it better - enjoy every step even though you may be tired sore or whatever - remember the many who would so like to do what we are privileged to do but cannot because of all sorts of reasons. Buen Camino

W
Angie
Your life is your Poetry.
How you live? The Warp
What you do with your life..The Weft

Your life a Tapestry of where youve been
All the shaded walks of the easy times
The harsh light of the sun? Your Reality when times were not so easy.
The Colors? Those who are close to you
The fabric..your decisions

Walk forth in comfort knowing your picture is still not done, still weaving a new part.

Feel the wind
Taste the good waters
Feel the ache in your back
Feel your achey feet.

It is all Life.
Sing, dance about yourself when the utter Joy takes you
Bow your head before the thunder
While the Lightning courses your Veins!

10.000 people talk
1 Walks
10.000 people dare
1 succeeds
10.000 people silent
1....sings.

Go forth unafraid Angie
Take this Life and take a fierce Joy at daring to Live less Ordinary!

That is your everlasting Poetry!
What an awesome read to start the day!
Mucho Gracias!

I understand your frustrations! Fifteen years ago, just minutes before I was about to begin a cross-country drive all by myself on a snowy mid-December morning, a friend said, "Don't forget to breathe!" Her voice and her words of wisdom always come back to me when I am feeling fearful. I breathe and it works--I'm always brought right back into the moment, and feel released. So, Angie...Don't forget to breathe! It really will all work out!

Makes me think of when I first moved here to Ohio (my son and his family live here) it's a BIG city and the multi-lane on and off ramps freaked me out! I would darn near have a panic attack trying to get around and my son told me "You know how to drive -- Just drive Mom...just drive"
It worked!:)

I completely understand how the planning and fretting can drive you crazy.. it did me. I was soooo caught up with arranging everything and controlling everything before I went. In the end I walked without using any of the maps/books/guides/downloaded blogs trusting the golden arrows and the shells to pint the way. I got lost once because I'd missed the signpost in the dark, and one accomodation went awry....but despite everything I let the camino lead me.. felt safe at all times and I think that letting go is perhaps what I needed to do. We all make our own journeys and you will be fine

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

I'm with you Angie! We leave April 20th. There's more to read, more to do, more to buy. I will never feel ready. Mary

A couple of thoughts for the OP.

First, undertaking a pilgrimage is a "big deal." You have every right to worry about details, prior to starting. The key is to not let it get in your way or let it hamper your experience.

One of the things I have struggled with in my planning are many of the same questions you raise. Still the planning allows me to think about what I am going to do and make decisions. I know that along the way there will be opportunities to change my mind. That is donate clothing or items at various locations or purchase things that I really need at some point. Few decisions are not reversible.

The second thought is on all the new technology stuff. That stuff is really nice and saves lives every year in certain situations. About 40 years ago, I climbed Mt. Rainier in WW2 surplus wool pants, leather boots, Army surplus canvas gaters, wool underwear, wool shirt, wool ski sweater, warmest jacket I could find, ski hat, wool gloves and had protection from falling in a glacier of a manila rope wrapped several times around my waist. At the time that was "appropriate" mountaineering equipment. Today, I probably would not be allowed on the Mountain for my own personal safety. I certainly prefer the modern high tech gear, climbing harness, etc.

Yes you can still do things "old school" but it doesn't make the experience any better. In fact, unless you are a bit of a masochist, doing your Camino "old school" will probably leave you with a few regrets by the time you complete it.

You live in the modern era, take advantage of it. Don't let how things were done way back when stand between you and what you want to experience, unless you are a "re-enactor" and you want that to be your experience.

When facing the unknown

So that the dark
Is less so...

So that the road
Is more easily traveled

So that the unknown

Of Family
Comfort
Home.

The old familiar
Always touchable
Always ready for the day

Go!
Beautiful and inspiring!

Angie: Thank you for your post and opening up such an interesting discussion. I leave in 5 days and have been walking all week with my backpack fully packed for the Camino. (I have been training for 4 months with this pack carrying about 15-17 lbs including water) Now that I have it packed it weighs 16 lbs without water and all week it hurts my lower back once I get to about 9-10 miles. I have been to REI twice to have it fitted, and they always say it is fitted. So . . . . How can I have a serene experience if in 4 mos of training I do not have the physical stamina to handle this weight? (Because if training could have conditioned me it would have by now) So to answer my own question - I don't know. But if walking the Camino is a different experience than training in the hills around San Diego, I will soon find out. This is an adventure and a pilgrimage and I step out, after doing my best to prepare and put my life into the hands of a loving God. This is my first Camino and maybe I will have answers when I finish, but right now I step out in faith.

Yes you can still do things "old school" but it doesn't make the experience any better. In fact, unless you are a bit of a masochist, doing your Camino "old school" will probably leave you with a few regrets by the time you complete it.

When I first walked the Camino Frances there was no mobile phone service and for all practical purposes no internet. Communication with home was mainly by letter sent "lista de Correos". Refugios were far less common than today and occasionally very basic indeed - a few were simply a bare concrete floored room with access to a toilet and a cold water tap. For parts of the route there was no private accommodation, food or drink for many km. So carrying food, water, a sleeping bag and mat was essential. There were a few sections where stages of 30-40 km were almost obligatory. Public payphones were more widely available than today but expensive for international calls. Guidebooks and maps did exist but being print documents the information could quickly become out-of-date and inaccurate. Signposting was less common and consistent too. Compared with today the number of pilgrims walking was tiny - fewer than 4,000 Compostelas issued that year with a quarter of a million last year. I rarely saw another pilgrim during the day and probably spent 1/3 or more of my nights alone in the refugios even in July and August.

Despite the sometimes difficult conditions I enjoyed my first camino immensely. But I would not try to turn the clock back and make life intentionally more difficult for myself or others. Although I can and do sometimes sleep outdoors or on hard bare floors I find a soft mattress and a hot shower a modest and guilt-free indulgence. Being spoiled for choice on accommodation is a real luxury. I can walk the Spanish caminos these days carrying half the weight I once did. I enjoy the opportunity to share photographs and observations with my family and friends via my mobile phone. When I occasionally get lost I am very grateful for gps and digital maps. I love the fact that I can leave heavy guidebooks behind and read PDF versions on my phone or find out more about the history of the regions I pass through. If I ever feel the need for a "hairshirt and barbed-wire-underpants" experience there are plenty of other opportunities out there :)

Angie: Thank you for your post and opening up such an interesting discussion. I leave in 5 days and have been walking all week with my backpack fully packed for the Camino. (I have been training for 4 months with this pack carrying about 15-17 lbs including water) Now that I have it packed it weighs 16 lbs without water and all week it hurts my lower back once I get to about 9-10 miles. I have been to REI twice to have it fitted, and they always say it is fitted. So . . . . How can I have a serene experience if in 4 mos of training I do not have the physical stamina to handle this weight? (Because if training could have conditioned me it would have by now) So to answer my own question - I don't know. But if walking the Camino is a different experience than training in the hills around San Diego, I will soon find out. This is an adventure and a pilgrimage and I step out, after doing my best to prepare and put my life into the hands of a loving God. This is my first Camino and maybe I will have answers when I finish, but right now I step out in faith.

@Geri_San Diego , I read your post and wanted to just write a quick note back. First, I know how frustrating it must be to get to 9-10 miles (10 miles=16 kilometers, of course) and start experiencing pain. You are not out of the norm.

Hiking a distance with some weight on your back can be painful. I am going to just suggest a few ideas.

1. I'm short-waisted, and wear my pack a bit higher, but found that dropping my shoulder straps and ensuring that it was on my hips (waist straps) helped out. My hiking buddy helped with that, suggesting I drop the length down a bit.

2. Your core will strengthen after DAILY walks of many kilometers. My back is really a mess, but I found that 12-18 miles daily strengthened my back, shoulders and core to the degree that I quit having pain. And when I did? ADVIL.
Ibuprofen. Take what you take when there is pain, and you may also find that a little prophylactic medicine (before feeling pain) is helpful. Just hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. LOTS of water, girlfriend.

3. A serene experience? After a time, you will be walking along, and suddenly realize that you don't feel your pack on your pack. It's almost a transcendental experience when it happens. You have to put in daily miles before you feel that sensation, but it is like a hiker's high, an endorphin peace that makes you feel one with nature! You will get there.

4. You appear quite petite. I would like to suggest that you try HARD to shave an extra pound off your pack weight. What can you, could you, leave behind? In two amazing Camino journeys, I have come to realize that I don't need much. Just a thought.

5. Back to pack straps. Are you pulling in your straps located at your pectorals--front of chest--so that the pack hugs in snugly enough? Most women aren't super strong in the upper body --I'm just a football player, ha! It may be that you can take some weight off of your hips on occasion by adjusting those straps. Keep stretching too.

You will have to take it slowly at first and build up some "wow, this is an every-single-day-experience" with your body. Don't be frustrated with that body of yours! It will do what it can, and you will be fine. Go slowly for the first week, and do self-massage at night and good rest. Avoid drinking the full half-bottle of wine at night and opt for lots of water! (many will disagree on this point).

Buen Camino!

@Geri_San Diego , I read your post and wanted to just write a quick note back. First, I know how frustrating it must be to get to 9-10 miles (10 miles=16 kilometers, of course) and start experiencing pain. You are not out of the norm.

Hiking a distance with some weight on your back can be painful. I am going to just suggest a few ideas.

1. I'm short-waisted, and wear my pack a bit higher, but found that dropping my shoulder straps and ensuring that it was on my hips (waist straps) helped out. My hiking buddy helped with that, suggesting I drop the length down a bit.

2. Your core will strengthen after DAILY walks of many kilometers. My back is really a mess, but I found that 12-18 miles daily strengthened my back, shoulders and core to the degree that I quit having pain. And when I did? ADVIL.
Ibuprofen. Take what you take when there is pain, and you may also find that a little prophylactic medicine (before feeling pain) is helpful. Just hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. LOTS of water, girlfriend.

3. A serene experience? After a time, you will be walking along, and suddenly realize that you don't feel your pack on your pack. It's almost a transcendental experience when it happens. You have to put in daily miles before you feel that sensation, but it is like a hiker's high, an endorphin peace that makes you feel one with nature! You will get there.

4. You appear quite petite. I would like to suggest that you try HARD to shave an extra pound off your pack weight. What can you, could you, leave behind? In two amazing Camino journeys, I have come to realize that I don't need much. Just a thought.

5. Back to pack straps. Are you pulling in your straps located at your pectorals--front of chest--so that the pack hugs in snugly enough? Most women aren't super strong in the upper body --I'm just a football player, ha! It may be that you can take some weight off of your hips on occasion by adjusting those straps. Keep stretching too.

You will have to take it slowly at first and build up some "wow, this is an every-single-day-experience" with your body. Don't be frustrated with that body of yours! It will do what it can, and you will be fine. Go slowly for the first week, and do self-massage at night and good rest. Avoid drinking the full half-bottle of wine at night and opt for lots of water! (many will disagree on this point).

Buen Camino!
Debrita: Thank you for taking the time to write such an informative post.

1. I actually just started trying to wear my backpack a little lower than my waiste and I haven't noticed an improvement yet. But I have only done this for the last 2 days. I think I may only have one more walking day before I get on the plane due to my schedule and the rain.
2. I do hope my core strength will get better on the Camino. The problem is not necessarily the pain, it is a weakness . The other day as I was a mile from home I wanted to take the backpack off and carry it in my arms but it was too heavy so I hung it over one shoulder than the other just wanting so badly for "it" to be over. The pain or weakness goes away soon after I get rid of the backpack and do some stretches.
3. This gives me real hope. Thank you.
4. This is my dilemma , I don't know.
5. Pulled as tightly as they can be pulled, there is still space between my shoulders and the shoulder straps. I am going backto REI today for the 3rd time and see if they have any suggestions.

Again, thank you so much-your #3 comment was most encouraging!

Debrita: Thank you for taking the time to write such an informative post.

1. I actually just started trying to wear my backpack a little lower than my waiste and I haven't noticed an improvement yet. But I have only done this for the last 2 days. I think I may only have one more walking day before I get on the plane due to my schedule and the rain.
2. I do hope my core strength will get better on the Camino. The problem is not necessarily the pain, it is a weakness . The other day as I was a mile from home I wanted to take the backpack off and carry it in my arms but it was too heavy so I hung it over one shoulder than the other just wanting so badly for "it" to be over. The pain or weakness goes away soon after I get rid of the backpack and do some stretches.
3. This gives me real hope. Thank you.
4. This is my dilemma , I don't know.
5. Pulled as tightly as they can be pulled, there is still space between my shoulders and the shoulder straps. I am going backto REI today for the 3rd time and see if they have any suggestions.

Again, thank you so much-your #3 comment was most encouraging!

Absolutely. And Geri, really analyze what you're taking. As an example, I always ended up wearing work-out tights, but was packing a pair of quick-dry trousers. I would have been better off losing that weight.

Also, I carried a headlamp, a cellphone, and a small flashlight. Headlamp could have stayed home.

I packed too much soap and shampoo. Just ONE good small bar of soap will be fine.

My medication tray weighed too much, but I thought packing meds would be good: should have used the tiny plastic bags and marked them AM or PM.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Absolutely. And Geri, really analyze what you're taking. As an example, I always ended up wearing work-out tights, but was packing a pair of quick-dry trousers. I would have been better off losing that weight.

Also, I carried a headlamp, a cellphone, and a small flashlight. Headlamp could have stayed home.

I packed too much soap and shampoo. Just ONE good small bar of soap will be fine.

My medication tray weighed too much, but I thought packing meds would be good: should have used the tiny plastic bags and marked them AM or PM.

Thanks again for those suggestions - I'll see what may apply, like do I really need my head lamp?

I found out the hard way that I wasn't doing this correctly. It made a big difference when I had them adjusted properly! :)
I wonder what is correct - they are as tight as I can make them and there is a still a space between my shoulders and the straps. But . . . I am going to REI this morning, we'll see what they say. Thanks for your post.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm not sure, I have mine tightened down and I also have a space between my shoulders and the straps - so that the pack isn't resting on my shoulders, but I didn't have it closer to my body in the mid section. Also I didn't have my pack riding on my hips - I had it too low and that definitely did not work out for me. Don't know if any of that helps or not though...

@Geri_San Diego ,. Keep stretching too.

!

Lots of great advice from Deb and others. I just want to emphasis one thing.

Stretching. I wrecked my back before I walked last year. 2 months before going.
The first time I wore a loaded pack was the day I left home, and it hurt....

Get yourself to a good physio. Find out what is wrong with your back, (when it hurts) and exactly where it hurts etc.

And get them to show you some suitable stretches.

It might be that stretching before/after walking will help. Maybe during walking. They'll know and advise you.

I did stretches on waking up. before walking. at night. and at every stop. It certainly helped! And I made it.

My back gradually got better too....

If the shoulder straps are not snugly hugging the curves over the shoulder and upper back, it isn't fitting correctly. The "waist" belt should be touching your hip bones so the hips carry the load, not your waist.

It sounds like the length between the top of the back harness - where the shoulder straps V off from each other - and the waist belt is wrong. Hopefully you have a backpack with an adjustable harness system.

What bag do you have? I have a tatonka bag that has adjustable velcro straps that adjust where the bag fits in relation to the harness. When tightened, the space between the bag and body gets bigger, which is good for circulating air on the back. Sometimes I forget about them after my sister uses the bag and wonder for a while why it's not hugging the shoulders. Then I remember, tighten them and it's fine again.

Well thanks to all of you above that commented. My backpack was NOT fitted correctly. This is the third time I have gone to REI complaining, but this time instead of a man fitting me it was a woman. (This is not a complaint, just explaining) This time, because she WAS a woman, she actually touched my hip bones instead of asking me if it was my hip bones. My hip bones are so close to my lower rib I often am not sure myself. (weird) Anyhow, she shortened the torso and DID adjust the top straps that bring the backpack closer to the body. My last long hike in San Diego is Monday, I guess I will know then. My next hike is Friday in SJPP. Buen Camino all. I appreciated all your suggestions and help.

Well thanks to all of you above that commented. My backpack was NOT fitted correctly. This is the third time I have gone to REI complaining, but this time instead of a man fitting me it was a woman. (This is not a complaint, just explaining) This time, because she WAS a woman, she actually touched my hip bones instead of asking me if it was my hip bones. My hip bones are so close to my lower rib I often am not sure myself. (weird) Anyhow, she shortened the torso and DID adjust the top straps that bring the backpack closer to the body. My last long hike in San Diego is Monday, I guess I will know then. My next hike is Friday in SJPP. Buen Camino all. I appreciated all your suggestions and help.

That's great News. Well done for persevering :)

Buen Camino...

I have worried, fussed over, fretted, been fearful, anxious, and definitely over analyzepacthink about the thousands of pilgrims before modern times who made this trek

Good perspective, thanks. I thought of my upcoming Camino walk in September as just another trip in the beginning. Now that it's only 5 months away I'm worried about all the things you listed as well. Must just be part of the anticipation. Biking season is just around the corner so I'll focus on that and let my Camino.... Just happen.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think I've found a soul sister!! I "overthink" everything and all the time...but, to me it's not overthinking, it's just thought provoking points and your list is a way to honor those who have lived and gone before us. One day 100 years from now new pilgrims might think about us and say, "can you believe they walked this entire way without using a jetpack!" I'm from Ohio and will be on the Camino May/June 2016 as well. I will look for you and we can overthink things together!! :)

Angie, the good news is that your Camino is about to start and my bet is that your over-analyzing and over-thinking will stop once you start walking. I found that when I walk the Camino, my mind just empties out. I don't think about much of anything - I just experience the natural beauty, the camaraderie, the simple pleasures of a cafe con leche, a warm shower after a long walk, the silence in nature. Funny how it all works because when I return home, I find that I have all kinds of insights about issues in my life that I didn't even think about! Of course, my subconscious was busy in the background, unknown to me, able to do its wonders without all the mental clutter of my conscious mind interfering with what it does best -- which is to "know" everything I need to know to live a good life. So, be patient, you are almost there

Buen Camino.

Geri: I'm about to leave for my first camino (Madrid) so no experience there, but I've spent lots of time with a fully loaded backpack on other trips. As you recognized, a correctly fitted pack is key, and I'm glad you finally got someone to help with that. In addition to the advice already given, I will add that I find it important to change up the way you have the pack adjusted while you walk. The only thing I keep consistent is the position of my waist belt.
After walking awhile I will tighten or loosen the shoulder straps to shift the weight a little more to the hips or shoulders, just changing it up now and then. I do the same with the chest strap and the load lifter straps too. They will change up how closely the pack hugs your back. Keeping the pack adjusted the same puts stress and strain on the same areas of the body. I find shifting things around really helps as it provides a bit of relief to areas of strain. One more thing, be aware of your posture. The pack, especially if heavy, can lead us to hunch over too much. Lighten the load if you can, as others have suggested.
Best wishes for your camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think I've found a soul sister!! I "overthink" everything and all the time...but, to me it's not overthinking, it's just thought provoking points and your list is a way to honor those who have lived and gone before us. One day 100 years from now new pilgrims might think about us and say, "can you believe they walked this entire way without using a jetpack!" I'm from Ohio and will be on the Camino May/June 2016 as well. I will look for you and we can overthink things together!! :)
I'm heading out on May 12 from SJPP and will be on the "Way" from the 12th of May to the 21st of June. We may meet each other.

Yes there are many things that you can do without and if you want to be a true pilgrim and not have these luxuries, do the Camino without them. You don't have to take a smart phone, you do not have to use the internet, you can camp out on the road. Up to you on how primitive you want to be. I thought of the same thing on my first journey last year when I had all these gadgets and thought that my next journey I will do without. Well my journey this year, no I pad, no boots, not a lot of clothes. I am bringing a backpack with 3 shirts , two shorts and leggings , a hat and medical supply, I phone that retains my maps and journal, and to take pictures along the way. I will carry very little as my new thoughts of less is more really works on the Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks again for those suggestions - I'll see what may apply, like do I really need my head lamp?
I found a really small lightweight torch was enough to find my way to the toilet at night. Headtorches can be quite annoying for other people when they shine in your eyes in the early morning when people are doing their packing. I also have a torch on my mobile phone that I did use occasionally too.

Hi Angie.
I am also a type A overplanner, who usually plans every aspect of vacations. My daughter and I plan to walk the Camino next summer, 2017. I don't think that being prepared is bad, but I know that there will be lots for which we cannot plan and that we will need to take care of "on the spot" and I believe that it will be okay. May God bless you as you take this journey.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Some great replies here :) my experience was; being similar to yourself Angie94, as in 'over analysing', I did a LOT of research and planning for my Camino Frances in 2014, it paid off in many ways and in some ways I found some of the information wasn't as necessary as I thought it would be, things like trying to plot exactly where I would end up and therefore knowing where I would sleep that night was fairly pointless. I walked 'alone' but hooked up with people along the way and therefore where I stayed was sometimes a 'group' decision, other times I would finish the day before the others and would find somewhere to stay and we would all end up in different places but I did the Camino to do it on my own and really didn't want to end up walking other peoples Camino anyway, and we would all meet up for dinner or to do laundry anyway :)
The most valuable piece of information I received was as I left the passport office in SJPdP, the French man who had administered my pilgrims passport said 'Lentement, lentement' as I walked out the door (it's French for 'slowly,slowly') it's a piece of advice I wish I had 'Got' on many levels, and listened to a long time ago because then I may have slowed down a bit in many ways, but it was so relevant, so pertinent at that moment that as I chugged up the Pyrenees and along The Way in my own personal race I slowly took onboard his advice and slowed down...and hear those words in my head on a day to day basis now when I start letting things get too complicated, I even had a bracelet made with it embossed on in case I forget!
I will see if I can take my own advice when I set out from Le Puy in August for my next pilgrimage!
I wish you well on your Camino, enjoy the excitement of every moment, don't have too high a expectations and let the path take you on an amazing journey.

What I take from @Angie94 's original post is the stress of trying to make decisions about gear. From one who has done this thing a few times I can say that whatever you take will work well enough. Not perfectly, but well enough. No-one gets it perfect. You will be amazed at your own capacities and at how simple it really is. Not easy, but simple.

Wishing you joy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Hello Angie,
Greetings from Santiago. I was thinking you'd be around here as well. I met Ivar and SYates and its been amazing meeting people face to face. All be chance.

Good luck with getting yourself organized. Buen Camino :) Caesar

Hello Angie, you're off sooner than me, but what I think we're both worrying about is the fear of the Unknown. What we will be embarking on is so far out of our comfort zones and everyday life than the only thing we can control before we leave is the planning and organising. So take a deep breath and think about something else for a while.

Hello Angie, you're off sooner than me, but what I think we're both worrying about is the fear of the Unknown. What we will be embarking on is so far out of our comfort zones and everyday life than the only thing we can control before we leave is the planning and organising.
Well said and spot on! couldn't agree more...:rolleyes:
Getting focused on other things now seems to be helping.

I feel very blessed that I am getting this opportunity. With my situation at hand one would not think it possible, but the doors have opened (and I haven't had to kick them open!) in order for this journey to occur.

This forum has not only provided a wealth of information concerning the camino but also provided a platform to showcase that there are many kind, caring and concerned people out there! (my view about society at large can get a bit skewed.)

Hope our path crosses Debra ~ we will represent Ohio with humility and gratitude (and hopefully not with blisters and tendonitis!;)
Buen Camino!! won't be long now...
Fast007 here. Elizabeth and I from MN hope to see you both on the Camino. Arriving in SJPdP on April 29. I'm glad for the time we spent preparing but anxious to get going and living it

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

When I think of these things I become irritated with my thinking and feel like such a lightweight in comparison to those brave people.

I've talked a little about this before, but I think the pilgrims of old would look at us and shake their heads. Imagine discussing a cellphone and other technology with a pilgrim from 500 years ago.

"So you have this device, that lets you stay in contact with your friends and family back home, can give you information and maps and lets you know exactly where you are, can record perfect images of what you see, can translate foreign languages, lets you know what the weather will be like days and weeks in advance, can store a library's worth of books, and can summon local peacekeepers and medical help with the touch of a button? And you're telling me that some people purposely leave it at home? WHY?"

"So there are these carts you tell me about, they don't require horses? They move under their own power? At these carts, are completely enclosed, keeping out out of the elements? And you can control the weather inside the cart, making it warm or cool? And they travel at such a fast rate, you can make the trip from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago in half a day? And yet, people STILL walk? WHY?"

"So wait, you have another type of cart and this one FLYS? In the air? Like a bird? And it travels so fast you can get to Santiago from almost anywhere in Europe a matter of hours? I could have my breakfast in Madrid, then get on one of these flying things, be in Santiago by noon, and be back home in time for supper? And yet, there are still people who risk injury and everything else by walking across Spain? I must say, you future pilgrims are insane!"

The idea of a "walking" pilgrimage is relatively new. Those pilgrims of old walked because that was the main mode of transportation at the time. If they had a little bit of money, they might have had horse or a donkey or something they could ride. If they had a little more money, they have have more animals they could use to pull a cart. If they were rich, they'd have several carts with servants, hauling their luggage across Spain.

These olden day pilgrims would not look down on us for having it easy, I think they would look down on us for purposely making it hard! You don't think a pilgrim of old would have gladly accepted a ride on the back of a hay cart from a local farmer?

For those pilgrims, the whole point of the pilgrimage wasn't to travel to Santiago, it was to BE in Santiago, by whatever means they had. (I wish I could find the article, but the first year modern Compostelas were given out, a few were given to pilgrims who drove!)

Last edited:

Thanks for your post. I completely understand your view.

I think all the posts on here regarding equipment, routes, accommodation etc etc are really helpful and put out there for all the right reasons.

But if you don't have all the 'right' gear it's not going to ruin your camino. It'll just make it a different camino.

A while ago on here I saw a post from a lady debating whether to wear nail polish or not on her camino. There were some really unkind exclamations of disbelief expressed that she would even contemplate such a thing. But why not? That's who she was and how she felt comfortable. And she'll be remembered for it - maybe even brightened up another's day.

Do it yourself way. And be kind to those who do it differently.

Buen camino!!

I think you touch a tender point here and one thing to consider is that the pilgrims of yesteryear were penitents , they suffered and that was part of the idea. I don't know when these pilgrimages turned into a fad but by looking at the statistics in 1985 there was 650 pilgrims and now that number is a couple hundred thousand. Pilgrimages as a default are meant to be a time of reflectiveness, Christian ones like the one of the Camino are suppose to be Christ centered and this gets lost when the multitudes are out for a walking holiday. The gadgetry is the biggest black hole for stealing people's attention I deal with this all the time as a guide and when possible I put an end to it.

I think you touch a tender point here and one thing to consider is that the pilgrims of yesteryear were penitents , they suffered and that was part of the idea. I don't know when these pilgrimages turned into a fad but by looking at the statistics in 1985 there was 650 pilgrims and now that number is a couple hundred thousand.

Dov, didn't hundreds of thousands of people, not just hundreds as in 1985, walk in the Middle Ages on pilgrimage? Chaucer's pilgrims weren't exactly all penitents--to quote wikipedia, "though all of the pilgrims are on a spiritual quest, it is apparent that they are more concerned with worldly things than spiritual." I'm thinking that since pilgrimage began, people have walked long distances to holy places for all kinds of reasons, including just to get away from home for awhile. I have to disagree that anyone who walks today and isn't Christian is doing it as a fad or is on a walking holiday. I can't look into someone else's heart and judge their motivations.

I agree with you, Dov, that "gadgetry" can be a black hole when it takes us away from what's right around us in the present. But electronics can also be used as a communication tool rather than an escape. I'm taking my phone to stay in touch with my family, and as jeffnd says above, that's probably what most pilgrims in the 1500's would have done, too.

Last edited:
Greetings

Keep a open mind if something does not go as planned remember The Camino like to change a well thought out plan. I planned almost a year, researched and was ready to take it own The camino had other planes and was put in check the first day I opened myself up to the camino and heard its word even wrote to prayers while I was there. Minus the first day I had no real issues staying in contact Most of the places I stayed had wifi or found a places in town I was going to eat had wifi updated my facebook group on my status,photos ect... and used Skype. I always had a hot Meal for dinner in the a.m I ate fruit bread and nuts,

always keep a bag of nuts walnuts ect.... for that protein boost

buen Camino

I think you touch a tender point here and one thing to consider is that the pilgrims of yesteryear were penitents , they suffered and that was part of the idea. I don't know when these pilgrimages turned into a fad but by looking at the statistics in 1985 there was 650 pilgrims and now that number is a couple hundred thousand. Pilgrimages as a default are meant to be a time of reflectiveness, Christian ones like the one of the Camino are suppose to be Christ centered and this gets lost when the multitudes are out for a walking holiday. The gadgetry is the biggest black hole for stealing people's attention I deal with this all the time as a guide and when possible I put an end to it.

By researching the history of the Camino if I remember correctly back in days of old there were more pilgrims walking the Camino than there are now...it petered put and was virtually non existent during Francos rule, it was made more popular when Spain held the Olympics (Barcelona) and Spain needed to market the country to the rest of the world, a la 'Interesting Things To Do While In Spain', and the numbers grow...
Dov, I like the fact that you pull people (no doubt kicking and screaming) from their technological devices!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For me, "gadgetry" are tools, and tools are what the user is doing with them: it can be for the better as it can be for the worse. But it still the user who decide the usage, not the tool.
Yes, I have a smart phone and I use it for taking pictures and for talking with my family, but I use the "on/off" button and the "flight mode".
Yes, I'm wearing "high tech" clothes, because they dry quick, don't absorb water and are light (I would prefer NOT smell a middle age dormitory...).

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

i found that by posting my journey on fb i inspired others as well got the best feedback from friends and family to push on and that encouragement , i feel, gave me the extra drive....so it doesn't have top be a dark solo experience because in reality it is a very social one that brings like minded people together to walk and find solutions....together

For me, "gadgetry" are tools, and tools are what the user is doing with them: it can be for the better as it can be for the worse. But it still the user who decide the usage, not the tool.

I definitely agree with this. It's up to each person to decide how, when, and if to use gadgets. Some people need to be without gadgets to find what they are looking for on the Camino. Others don't. It's all good either way because everybody is on their own personal journey. I think that is a key point - that we are all on our own personal Camino - walking the same path with thousands of other people, but none of us is having the same journey.

You make an excellent point

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.