• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feeling unprepared & anxious - arrive SJPDP 5 June

angelab

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances June (2017)
Hello everyone,
As the forum is an open and trusting space, I feel to share something that i'm sitting with at the moment. I've woken up the past few days feeling anxious about walking the Camino as I feel unprepared and wonder if i've left it too late. I arrive in SJPDP next Monday! I bought my trail shoes and haven't done any walking in them. They're still sitting in the box. The socks are still in their cardboard container! I've only got 1 skirt and no other hiking gear. I'm borrowing a backpack which i'm collecting Tuesday. I leave London this coming Friday so everything has to be done. I smile to myself as besides shoes, socks & a skirt the only things i've bought are blister plasters, vaseline & clothes line! Also booked my flight, and 1st 3 nights accommodation. Do I need a Camino miracle to be prepared in time?
Thanks for your support. Angela :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Angela,
It's perfectly normal to feel anxious and nervous, and once the first day's walk is done you'll feel better. Having said that, I'd recommend you get out those shoes and socks today and take a walk! See how they feel as you channel some of your Camino energy and excitement today. That way you'll know if your practical prep needs adjustment as far as your feet go.

As for the rest of the packing list, you have a few days to get the rest of that ready. I always enjoy the days right before a trip; doing all the must-do nitty-gritty things means the adventure really is right around the corner.

Have fun as you attend to all those details. Keep us posted and Buen Camino!
Faith

Hi Angela, I 'm bid worried about the shoes and socks.
You need to do some walking with them before you go.
And be sure that the backpack will fits you o.k.

Take it slow at the beginning and you will do just fine.

Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino,Peter.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
There you go just what would your mother say "There you go Angela leaving everything to the last minute" As posted above your shoes and socks will be your best friend or your greatest enemy. Get them on as soon as and walk. Hopefully you won't be needing the blister plasters but I think you should have conditioned your feet long before now (now I am sounding like your mother) Enjoy. Perhaps the devil may care attitude is the best one to have but I doubt it. "I told you Angela but you wouldn't listen" I hope doesn't ring loud in your ears. Now where did I leave those ear plugs :p

There you go just what would your mother say "There you go Angela leaving everything to the last minute" As posted above your shoes and socks will be your best friend or your greatest enemy. Get them on as soon as and walk. Hopefully you won't be needing the blister plasters but I think you should have conditioned your feet long before now (now I am sounding like your mother) Enjoy. Perhaps the devil may care attitude is the best one to have but I doubt it. "I told you Angela but you wouldn't listen" I hope doesn't ring loud in your ears. Now where did I leave those ear plugs :p
Shoes and sock on! They feel comfy. Long walking coming up :D

Hi Angela, you'll be fine.....I ended up buying new shoes in Burgos as my feet swelled up to much and wore them with no problems apart from blisters but we walk with blisters of some sort or another. Print off a packing list and go to it !!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Angela,
Start off slowly, take it easy, don't try to keep up with anyone else. You'll be fine......the camino is not a wilderness walk and there are many places along the way to pick up any gear you need - Pamplona, Puente La Reina, Logrono, etc.
I'm glad you've got some vaseline! It really helped me with blister prevention.
Wishing you a very buen camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You don't really need to "train for the Camino" (although some preparation is convenient). But new shoes could be a real problem; even the best always need to be broken, and this is a process that could take some time.
Hopefully, they will not give you any problem. But if they do, this could make for some nasty days of walking with blisters.
In your situation, I'd carry sandals good enough for walking some distance, just in case. If they are not needed, you can use them to rest your feet in the evenings, after arriving. Just an idea.
And for the rest of things, don't worry too much. I have walked many Caminos, and I still make some very basic and silly mistakes. Some inconveniences, but no great deal.
Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Angela,
Start off slowly, take it easy, don't try to keep up with anyone else. You'll be fine......the camino is not a wilderness walk and there are many places along the way to pick up any gear you need - Pamplona, Puente La Reina, Logrono, etc.
I'm glad you've got some vaseline! It really helped me with blister prevention.
Wishing you a very buen camino!
Hi Angela,we are too starting the camino on the 4 th of June for S.D.P.T.,and we have not doing very much preparation.
You will be ok,tried your shoes for a few days before you go.

Buen camino

Isabel Linares
Buen Camino. Maybe see you on the road :)

Use the forum tips as a packing guide.
Of utmost importance is that you walk at your own pace. Do not attempt to keep up with, or to slow yourself down for anyone.
Listen to your body, if it needs a rest allow one.
You will be just fine.

Buen Camino

Angela,

Good advice given. Get into your shoes and socks. Walk in them a bit and if posssible wear them as much as you can during the coming week if you employment allows it.

Shakespeares' advice about walking at your own pace is most important. Even half an hour at a pace too fast for you will wreck you. Also walk slowly into the Camino, do not push your self for the first week.

You will be ready on time and you will really enjoy yourself. God bless.

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Angela,
Comfortable footwear and a well-fitting backpack are your biggest priorities. It's also a good idea to take some light rainwear.
After that, there are no rules about what you should bring or wear. What would you wear if you were going for a walk at home? Just bring that, as well as your hiking skirt. You'll reach Pamplona in 3 or 4 days from SJPdeP, where you can buy anything that you discover you need.
Buen Camino!

Angela,
Nobody has mentioned this so far, maybe because it is too obvious, but don't forget to take a good Camino guide book or map to help you plan your days.

I'm on the Camino right now (El Gonso tonight) and I live by the daily map and list of aubergue options in front of me.

BuenCamino!

-Jason

Hi Angela, you haven't mentioned a sleeping bag so if you haven't already bought one you might prefer to use just a silk liner for those warm nights. You have packed a clothes line but safety pins are great for attaching your damp socks to your backpack for drying out as you walk. As you are in the UK you might want to buy a pack of Mountain Warehouse's Isocool liner socks 2 pair pack currently £6.49 and their merino wool women's Explorer socks are great - I know you have bought socks but I could easily go through 3 changes during a day's walking and that was in spring. Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hey Angela, Don't panic. Put your shoes on, with the socks you intend to walk in, right now!

Just do your best to wear them in - around the house, maybe at work if possible, give it a day or two then go for a longer walk in them. Do your best to wear them in at least as much as you can before you start.

As for the rest, apart from making sure your backpack fits as well as possible, just relax!

There is so much discussion about what to take, what not to take, what its "the best" sleeping bag / shoe / nose hair trimmer... in all honesty, people have been doing this for centuaries, literally, with a lot less than what we do it with now. Have a look at some of the packing lists on the forum, take from them what suits you (remembering that the less weight you carry, the easier your life will be) and off you go! As long as you go at your won pace, and don't feel pressured into going too far, too early on, you will be fine.

Have a great time, and Buen Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Angela,
Nobody has mentioned this so far, maybe because it is too obvious, but don't forget to take a good Camino guide book or map to help you plan your days.

I'm on the Camino right now (El Gonso tonight) and I live by the daily map and list of aubergue options in front of me.

BuenCamino!

-Jason
I just used apps and websites, like this one: http://santiago.forwalk.org/en/
And if a physical book is needed, they can be found in Spain.

Just remember that anything that you need can be purchased in Spain. Even if you find that your shoes aren't comfortable any more after walking 20 km. You can buy another pair.

Buen Camino. Maybe see you on the road :)

On my first day of the Camino I woke up and asked someone I met the day before. Ok, how do you walk the Camino. Everyone was so prepared with guidebooks, organised hiking packs etc. Well, it is a month after I finished my Camino and I still do not have a map or half of the gear people around me had. As long as you stick to your camino and not someone else's you'll be more than fine. Half of what I packed I did not need. Be in the moment and enjoy. You'll be more than fine. Buen Camino.

I love that Irish clever wit!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Bring proper rain-clothing since the forecast promises rain & thunder around 4-5 June.
I will start myself on 5th June, but this time i'll end up in Pamplona, where i started last year ending in Logrono.

Buen Camino :)

Do you maybe have a pair of runners that are already broken in? I have read that there is not too much of the Camino that requires hiking shoes, and i've decided not to buy new hiking shoes and instead wear my trusty old and very comfortable runner :) I know that I don't get blisters from them, and I have thoroughly tested them on some very long walks and runs. And I think at the end of the day, not getting blisters is our main goal on the Camino!

I'll be starting on the 8th of June, and I really understand the anxieties around not feeling prepared! See you there :)

Thanks Britt. I had thought about using my Asics runners. I've worn them long distance & very comfy. Not sure if the bottom is hard enough as they're quite flexible for running. Food for thought. Hope to see you on the way. Buen Camino

El Camino is prepared for you no matter what state you arrive in .... trust us .... it's true ...

Ultreia ... onwards and upwards ....

I think personally its nice to be prepared and I don't mean a packing list. I feel it is necessary to have a modicum of fitness before one starts as it adds to the enjoyment of the experience. While walking from St Jean to Roncesvalles is not like climbing Everest it's not a walk in the park either licking an ice cream on a Sunday afternoon. I think its good to know your fitness levels before you attempt any exercise it helps prevent torn muscles and cramp at the very least and god knows at the very worst. Stamina needs to be built up so why not do it before you go. Some people, not all, should go and see there doctor before they attempt any sort of rigorous exercise if they haven't done so for a long time. I think it makes perfect sense without sounding too much like anybody's Granny:D Well that's my tupence worth feel free to throw the rotten tomatoes

Indeed; Kieran Kenneally is right on! As a digital Granny at 78 I definitely agree that preparation is important.
Each camino is not only a walk of personal thanksgiving, but also a test of tenacity and endurance. To pass such a test one needs to BE PREPARED both physically and mentally.

For many more posts re the importance of preparation see this earlier forum thread--
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/for-your-own-sake-come-prepared.19228/

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
As the forum is an open and trusting space, I feel to share something that i'm sitting with at the moment. I've woken up the past few days feeling anxious about walking the Camino as I feel unprepared and wonder if i've left it too late. I arrive in SJPDP next Monday! I bought my trail shoes and haven't done any walking in them. They're still sitting in the box. The socks are still in their cardboard container! I've only got 1 skirt and no other hiking gear. I'm borrowing a backpack which i'm collecting Tuesday. I leave London this coming Friday so everything has to be done. I smile to myself as besides shoes, socks & a skirt the only things i've bought are blister plasters, vaseline & clothes line! Also booked my flight, and 1st 3 nights accommodation. Do I need a Camino miracle to be prepared in time?

Angela – I like your attitude – I ‘am very different - obsessive planning - worry a lot mainly due to my previous occupation – however go for it and have a ball – you’ll be fine

Hello everyone,

Get them shoes and go walkies. Wash socks few time gets rid of chemicals. Or bring your old runners. You can aleays dump them. Dont even think you will get blisters. Never got a blister on 23 caminos over 8000km so say my gps thing. Buen camino and you will have a great time

Get them shoes and go walkies. Wash socks few time gets rid of chemicals. Or bring your old runners. You can aleays dump them. Dont even think you will get blisters. Never got a blister on 23 caminos over 8000km so say my gps thing. Buen camino and you will have a great time
Im like you never got a blister but went with a friend who couldn't even mention the word without getting one. He was so bad once a doctor told him to quit walking while on the Camino. If he had used liner socks I think he would have been ok. But then again he was from Sligo:p

I'll be starting on the 8th of June, and I really understand the anxieties around not feeling prepared! See you there :)
Does this increase the nearer to arrival - or is it continuous from booking flights? I've got 7 weeks to go.....and i'm feeling unprepared :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think personally its nice to be prepared and I don't mean a packing list. I feel it is necessary to have a modicum of fitness before one starts as it adds to the enjoyment of the experience. While walking from St Jean to Roncesvalles is not like climbing Everest it's not a walk in the park either licking an ice cream on a Sunday afternoon. I think its good to know your fitness levels before you attempt any exercise it helps prevent torn muscles and cramp at the very least and god knows at the very worst. Stamina needs to be built up so why not do it before you go. Some people, not all, should go and see there doctor before they attempt any sort of rigorous exercise if they haven't done so for a long time. I think it makes perfect sense without sounding too much like anybody's Granny:D Well that's my tupence worth feel free to throw the rotten tomatoes

I agree wholeheartedly. The Camino is a physically intense undertaking, probably the most difficult physical thing that most of us will ever do. Anyone who has not done preparation by way of regular walks for a few months beforehand is asking for trouble - it is as reckless as running a marathon without having built up to it. I met a middle-aged couple last year who had to drop out after three days due to foot problems; they were woefully unprepared for the often punishing daily treks and they paid the price. Sure, there are people - and I hope Angela is one - who sail through it without difficulty despite the lack of preparation but they are a minority.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Some posts have been deleted and the posters warned concerning violation of the forum rules.
Please take the time to read the very simple rules that are intended to keep this forum civil and focused on things Camino.
Please use the private message function if you have issues with the moderators or other members.
Received and understood

Hello everyone,

I am someone who always got blisters from hiking. On the camino, I made it a habit to stop every hour or two, take off my shoes and socks, and rub my feet. That allowed them to air out and stay dry. I GOT NO BLISTERS THE WHOLE WAY! I also picked up some Ecco hiking sandals which I alternated with the boots. Worked out great. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am someone who always got blisters from hiking. On the camino, I made it a habit to stop every hour or two, take off my shoes and socks, and rub my feet. That allowed them to air out and stay dry. I GOT NO BLISTERS THE WHOLE WAY! I also picked up some Ecco hiking sandals which I alternated with the boots. Worked out great. Buen Camino!
El Gallo that's because you weren't setting yourself a blistering pace:D nice and easy does it everytime

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Angela - on my first Camino (aged 50) I did no training (we had foot and mouth in the UK that year so no footpath walking), arrived in SJPP with far too much gear (there were no forums like this to help) and only a vague idea of the route, distances and what to expect at refugios.
By the time you come down the mountains into Pamplona you'll have a good idea of what you need/don't need and you can pick up anything from a single safety pin to a full sized rucksack at Caminoteca (Calle de Curia 15 - just two minutes walk from the cathedral).
Weather is forecast to rise to 26 by 6pm on Monday with a chance of rain in the morning. Cooler but dry Tuesday and 26 and sunny for Wednesday (probably Pamplona?).
Pace yourself, keep hydrated and have something to protect you (poncho/umbrella - your call).
The worst things I encountered on the first three days were the descent into Roncesvalles, the outside showers at Zubiri and the traffic in Pamplona - who knew you could forget how to use traffic lights in just three days? ;)
Have a great Camino and remember - if it was easy everybody would be doing it!

You'll be fine as long as you take it easy - il faut aller doucement, as the French say. You don't say where your first night's stop is - are you planning to get to Roncesvalles on your first day? Don't worry if you are - I'll be a day behind you, doing it for the second time (it rained constantly last year with visibility down to less than 50 yards) and I'm 65 this year.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My advice is to pal up with a big fat bloke and walk with him for at least as far as Roncesvalles. Book into Orisson if you can and it really is a piece of cake. If you're doing the Valcarlos route, rather than going over the top ignore my comment about booking Orisson. However, walking with a big fat bloke will encourage him and keep you at a steady pace. Trust me, the walk is a doddle provided that you don't go too fast until you've built up your camino legs. Usually by Pamplona you'll have have calves like rock!

My advice is to pal up with a big fat bloke and walk with him for at least as far as Roncesvalles. Book into Orisson if you can and it really is a piece of cake. If you're doing the Valcarlos route, rather than going over the top ignore my comment about booking Orisson. However, walking with a big fat bloke will encourage him and keep you at a steady pace. Trust me, the walk is a doddle provided that you don't go too fast until you've built up your camino legs. Usually by Pamplona you'll have have calves like rock!
Sorry, not available this year :rolleyes:

Angela - on my first Camino (aged 50) I did no training (we had foot and mouth in the UK that year so no footpath walking), arrived in SJPP with far too much gear (there were no forums like this to help) and only a vague idea of the route, distances and what to expect at refugios.
By the time you come down the mountains into Pamplona you'll have a good idea of what you need/don't need and you can pick up anything from a single safety pin to a full sized rucksack at Caminoteca (Calle de Curia 15 - just two minutes walk from the cathedral).
Weather is forecast to rise to 26 by 6pm on Monday with a chance of rain in the morning. Cooler but dry Tuesday and 26 and sunny for Wednesday (probably Pamplona?).
Pace yourself, keep hydrated and have something to protect you (poncho/umbrella - your call).
The worst things I encountered on the first three days were the descent into Roncesvalles, the outside showers at Zubiri and the traffic in Pamplona - who knew you could forget how to use traffic lights in just three days? ;)
Have a great Camino and remember - if it was easy everybody would be doing it!
Thanks Jeff, just what I needed to see today. Leaving tomorrow for SJPD. Spending 2 nights at Beilari, then Refuge ORISSON, then Roncesvalles. Taking it step by step. Reducing as much pack weight as I can. Finally excited!

You'll be fine as long as you take it easy - il faut aller doucement, as the French say. You don't say where your first night's stop is - are you planning to get to Roncesvalles on your first day? Don't worry if you are - I'll be a day behind you, doing it for the second time (it rained constantly last year with visibility down to less than 50 yards) and I'm 65 this year.
Leave SJPDP on Wed & stopping in Orisson

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Angela u will love it. Orisson is a great option. Looking up at an stars with no light pollution it is also a great place to bond with fellow pilgrims who u will see on and off as u walk.View attachment 34292 View attachment 34293
Spectacular image of the cow-and-Pyrenees, Kieran! (and your people-picture captures the happiness and goodwill at the start of the Camino so well!).

We started in Sjpd and a number of folks tried to go all the way to Roncevalles in a one day and wound up with such severe blisters that they could not continue the Camino! Walking up a hill in hiking shoes that are not broken in or do not fit properly can cause discomfort and blisters! You may want to go the route via Valcarlosand split that first section up?!

€46,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Spectacular image of the cow-and-Pyrenees, Kieran! (and your people-picture captures the happiness and goodwill at the start of the Camino so well!).
I found the area around Orisson magical, especially as the weather was so good there at the time. I just love scenery and as said previously it is a great place to bond with fellow Pilgrims. I still communicate with people I met there even though we may never physically meet again I consider them friends for life
DSC_1464_02.JPG DSC_1502.JPG

Hello everyone,

A few quotes. " however far you go
however high you climb
you must begin with a single step"
" remember to take the journey step by step
there are no shortcuts"
Buen camino

I found the area around Orisson magical, especially as the weather was so good there at the time. I just love scenery and as said previously it is a great place to bond with fellow Pilgrims. I still communicate with people I met there even though we may never physically meet again I consider them friends for life
View attachment 34321 View attachment 34322
You really was lucky weather wise, Kieran!!!
Two times for me and I've got just everything ...

The more I try the luckier I get now who said that I wonder?

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back