• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feels Like a Lost Year

Ray J

Where exactly are we?
Time of past OR future Camino
CF
Rota Vicentina & Portuguese
Paris to Moulins & Le Puy
VF
Cornwall & John Muir Way
This is the first year in the last four that we didn't do a Camino due to obligations at home ... and it's driving me crazy!

A bit of history (mine): I was unaware of any of this until one day my girlfriend said she was going to do the CF and wanted to know if I wanted to come along. Being completely ignorant, I said "Sure! What is it?" and, well, we were off. I had never done long distance hiking and certainly not in sustained periods of high winds, soaking rains with mud/water over the top of my shoes, followed by days of 30'+ temperatures in the baking sun. And, TBH, I kept thinking that this was just one of those "bucket list" things I could cross off.

Funny thing, though, by the following winter, we constantly looked back at the CF, all of our adventures, the great friends we made (some for only a day) and lost, the feeling of accomplishment, etc. Portugal certainly sounded interesting, soooo, "We really should see if last year was a fluke, right?" Starting in Sagres, the Rota Vicentina was beyond compare with its high cliffs and booming ocean surf below. Leaving Lisbon, we followed GR markings, which were missing as often as they were there, reading maps, getting lost, suddenly finding a trail marker again, getting lost again, until we got to Coimbra and found our first official CP marker, after which the numerous markers felt almost like cheating. Many fewer people than the previous year, but the solitude was wonderful.

In other words, by Christmas: "We should do France, right? But, just to make it interesting, let's bike from Paris to Le Puy en Velay first." And so we did. The biking portion was great; Europeans may not appreciate the difference between their bike culture and ours, but suffice it to say it's significant and we had many enjoyable days (albeit with temperatures again at 30'+, but who cares, amirite?). And the hiking to Santiago was fantastic ... beautiful farms, lovely villages, friendly locals. And, OMG, the food! Is everyone in France a master chef? We want to go back, but ...

... "Let's do the Via Francengina this year!" Due to obligations (again!) we could only start in Siena and hike to Rome, and I swear some of the topo maps were the mirror image of what they should've been, but Italy, well, it's Italy, right? So much to see and do along the way and, again, the food! (I see I'm developing a theme here.)

Which brings me to the reason for this post. ("Finally," everyone murmured.) It's July and we haven't been anywhere yet because my girlfriend retired this Spring and there were many issues to deal with, and I feel like I've wasted a year of hiking time. Yes, we're going to hike in Cornwall in Autumn, then trek across Scotland before hitting Ireland, so I've got that going for me but, darn it, I miss doing a Camino!

A long post ("Ya think?"), but I guess if I can't be on a Camino somewhere, then the next best thing is remembering the ones I have done, eh? So, for all the new people planning their first Camino, a warning: It will get in your blood, and if one is good, well, two, three, four etc are better! Good luck to everyone out there, first timers and old hands alike!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is the first year in the last four that we didn't do a Camino due to obligations at home ... and it's driving me crazy!

A bit of history (mine): I was unaware of any of this until one day my girlfriend said she was going to do the CF and wanted to know if I wanted to come along. Being completely ignorant, I said "Sure! What is it?" and, well, we were off. I had never done long distance hiking and certainly not in sustained periods of high winds, soaking rains with mud/water over the top of my shoes, followed by days of 30'+ temperatures in the baking sun. And, TBH, I kept thinking that this was just one of those "bucket list" things I could cross off.

Funny thing, though, by the following winter, we constantly looked back at the CF, all of our adventures, the great friends we made (some for only a day) and lost, the feeling of accomplishment, etc. Portugal certainly sounded interesting, soooo, "We really should see if last year was a fluke, right?" Starting in Sagres, the Rota Vicentina was beyond compare with its high cliffs and booming ocean surf below. Leaving Lisbon, we followed GR markings, which were missing as often as they were there, reading maps, getting lost, suddenly finding a trail marker again, getting lost again, until we got to Coimbra and found our first official CP marker, after which the numerous markers felt almost like cheating. Many fewer people than the previous year, but the solitude was wonderful.

In other words, by Christmas: "We should do France, right? But, just to make it interesting, let's bike from Paris to Le Puy en Velay first." And so we did. The biking portion was great; Europeans may not appreciate the difference between their bike culture and ours, but suffice it to say it's significant and we had many enjoyable days (albeit with temperatures again at 30'+, but who cares, amirite?). And the hiking to Santiago was fantastic ... beautiful farms, lovely villages, friendly locals. And, OMG, the food! Is everyone in France a master chef? We want to go back, but ...

... "Let's do the Via Francengina this year!" Due to obligations (again!) we could only start in Siena and hike to Rome, and I swear some of the topo maps were the mirror image of what they should've been, but Italy, well, it's Italy, right? So much to see and do along the way and, again, the food! (I see I'm developing a theme here.)

Which brings me to the reason for this post. ("Finally, everyone murmured.") It's July and we haven't been anywhere yet because my girlfriend retired this Spring and there were many issues to deal with, and I feel like I've wasted a year of hiking time. Yes, we're going to hike in Cornwall in Autumn, then trek across Scotland before hitting Ireland, so I've got that going for me but, darn it, I miss doing a Camino!

A long post ("Ya think?"), but I guess if I can't be on a Camino somewhere, then the next best thing is remembering the ones I have done, eh? So, for all the new people planning their first Camino, a warning: It will get in your blood, and if one is good, well, two, three, four etc are better! Good luck to everyone out there, first timers and old hands alike!
I shall be doing my fourth camino this year, after a year without one, due to major dental expenses that I no longer wished to ignore. I understand completely. Three years in a row, followed by one without, certainly leaves one with a longing which craves to be fulfilled. I am satisfying this longing until my departure in September (less than two months now!) by spending a lot of time on this forum and over-planning busily. Fortunately, there are lots of caminos still to walk. Hasta luego!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
but I guess if I can't be on a Camino somewhere, then the next best thing is remembering the ones I have done, eh?
having walked every year since 2010 but two, I can sympathize. The missing years definitely left on itch to be scratched. On the plus side, though, it gives one time to contemplate what the real objectives are. Bon chemin!

I know the feeling! Been on since 2005 and have problems with skipping a year or admit that I am too old. My last was the Invierno last year.

Last edited:
Been doing multiple Caminos since 2011. This year I started in Le Puy on 5 June and walked to Cahors. Bussed from Toulouse to Burgos on 4 July and started walking again to Astorga because I love the Meseta.
In Hontanos I received an email that my sister was in the ICU in a hospital in Cincinnati due to cancer issues.
So I took a bus from Castro to Bilbao and was home on 24 hours. My Camino is over for 2019.

I’ve walked at least one Camino each year... I live on the Vezeley and so the Camino (and the odd pilgrim) are never far away. I was due to walk the Ingles in June. My last three trips to Santiago have been with a couple of my walking buddies from here in France.

I never walked in June because my dear walking buddy died. She was way too young.

But the year isn’t lost. I will walk in the autumn and I hope to walk again next year and the year after that and for as long as I can... if for no other reason than because I can... and Jaqui can’t.

Enjoy your planning and have a great walk... wherever it leads you ❤

This was us... last year6D4489F3-2FC3-44E1-80F0-9F664DDC357B.jpeg

Which brings me to the reason for this post. ("Finally, everyone murmured.") It's July and we haven't been anywhere yet because my girlfriend retired this Spring and there were many issues to deal with, and I feel like I've wasted a year of hiking time. Yes, we're going to hike in Cornwall in Autumn, then trek across Scotland before hitting Ireland, so I've got that going for me but, darn it, I miss doing a Camino!

Hi ray j,
Gosh it's like I am reading exactly where I am at.
It feels like it for me too...I am in the same boat,
Pneumonia in January... Then legal application to resolve that took long time and anxiety.

All the above took the Camino planning out of my focus ..sad and annoying too...
I miss my careful preparation ,attention to details,to the route, the places to stay etc etc...looking forward to be in Santiago again..
I am now waiting for more documents to arrive...and until then it's like I am switched off..

Hope you will get some joy for your autumn plan...
Buon Camino ,wherever your feet willl take you
There is a lesson to be learned..
I am learning patience.🙈🌈

A selection of Camino Jewellery
OP,

Your year isn’t lost, delay does not mean denial.

I understand my latest camino was CF winter 2014, after a ten year drought.

I’ve had quite a few hurdles over which to leap these past five years; ergo no camino.

Perusing this forum, posting buen caminos, and vicariously walking through “live on camino” posts is helping me bridge gap from 2014 ‘til my next pilgrimage.

Take care.

Buen camino as soon as possible.

Been doing multiple Caminos since 2011. This year I started in Le Puy on 5 June and walked to Cahors. Bussed from Toulouse to Burgos on 4 July and started walking again to Astorga because I love the Meseta.
In Hontanos I received an email that my sister was in the ICU in a hospital in Cincinnati due to cancer issues.
So I took a bus from Castro to Bilbao and was home on 24 hours. My Camino is over for 2019.
Sorry to hear about your sister. Hope all turns out well.

I’ve walked at least one Camino each year... I live on the Vezeley and so the Camino (and the odd pilgrim) are never far away. I was due to walk the Ingles in June. My last three trips to Santiago have been with a couple of my walking buddies from here in France.

I never walked in June because my dear walking buddy died. She was way too young.

But the year isn’t lost. I will walk in the autumn and I hope to walk again next year and the year after that and for as long as I can... if for no other reason than because I can... and Jaqui can’t.

This was us... last yearView attachment 61125
So sorry to hear about your friend. I'm sure you'll keep her memory alive on your travels.

Having to stop due to one's own physical issues, let alone one of a loved one, is hard. I'll light a candle for your sister.

If anyone will be back on the Camino it's you Don.

Ultreia!

Many of us can empathize with you. I know I can, although I have been lucky enough to have walked yearly since 2010 (and 2 or 3x over the last couple of years) in 2011 during my second Camino I had to abort the Vía de la Plata in Zamora due to a medical emergency. It was so dramatic that I wondered if I would ever be able to return to Spain to walk.

That nagging and longing feeling to return to the Camino grips your soul and doesn't let go. Even when I've just returned! Planning another one helps, as well as being active with a Camino association or group - virtual or otherwise.

Ultreia!

Great story that I am sure sounds so much like many people, myself included. How was the food in Italy compared to France? Having traveled to Italy a few times I am sure it was fantastic also. When I think of my walk from Le Puy to Santiago in 2014 the first thing that comes to me ALWAYS is the food I had in the Gites at night. WOWWWWW! When people talk about how good the food is in Spain I always think, get to France and your taste buds will be in heaven. Starting Camino number 5 in November and can't wait. Hope you get out there soon. Your girlfriend has retired and maybe you have too. May I suggest walking a different time of the year to avoid those scorching summer temperatures. I was reading that climate change will be effect Western European summers particularly hard with more intense and longer heat waves. Last year and this have illustrated this fact dramatically. Why Western Europe? I didn't quite understand the reasoning. Tradewinds, atmospheric conditions, barometric something or other.
If you love history try walking the Via De la Plata. It is chock full of Spanish/Roman history and great historic Roman sites. That will be my next camino after this one. I plan on doing it in March/April. Just a suggestion and March isn't too far away. I think it can rain alot during that time period and there can be some tricky sections with flooding and detours. I am not sure about this so maybe someone can chime in on this.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Been doing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.

Best wishes, both for a speedy return to health for your sister, and a speedy return to your Camino.

Buen (speedy-returns) Camino

Great story that I am sure sounds so much like many people, myself included. How was the food in Italy compared to France? Having traveled to Italy a few times I am sure it was fantastic also. When I think of my walk from Le Puy to Santiago in 2014 the first thing that comes to me ALWAYS is the food I had in the Gites at night. WOWWWWW! When people talk about how good the food is in Spain I always think, get to France and your taste buds will be in heaven. Starting Camino number 5 in November and can't wait. Hope you get out there soon. Your girlfriend has retired and maybe you have too. May I suggest walking a different time of the year to avoid those scorching summer temperatures. I was reading that climate change will be effect Western European summers particularly hard with more intense and longer heat waves. Last year and this have illustrated this fact dramatically. Why Western Europe? I didn't quite understand the reasoning. Tradewinds, atmospheric conditions, barometric something or other.
If you love history try walking the Via De la Plata. It is chock full of Spanish/Roman history and great historic Roman sites. That will be my next camino after this one. I plan on doing it in March/April. Just a suggestion and March isn't too far away. I think it can rain alot during that time period and there can be some tricky sections with flooding and detours. I am not sure about this so maybe someone can chime in on this.
How do you compare a sunset vs a lazy, rainy afternoon - both are perfect and great in their own ways. That's what it's like trying to compare food in Italy to France to Spain to Portugal. Each are delicious in their own special way. That said, France is probably "specialer", although Italy is a very close second. And for seafood, well, I'd take Portugal any day.

Yes, our retirements open up opportunities to travel during (hopefully) more reasonable weather. But, regardless, I enjoy a challenge (maybe not at the time, but afterwards), and if every day has perfect weather ... well, then. Thanks for the recommendation - I'll check it out. Best of luck on your next Camino!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
How do you compare a sunset vs a lazy, rainy afternoon - both are perfect and great in their own ways. That's what it's like trying to compare food in Italy to France to Spain to Portugal. Each are delicious in their own special way. That said, France is probably "specialer", although Italy is a very close second. And for seafood, well, I'd take Portugal any day.

Yes, our retirements open up opportunities to travel during (hopefully) more reasonable weather. But, regardless, I enjoy a challenge (maybe not at the time, but afterwards), and if every day has perfect weather ... well, then. Thanks for the recommendation - I'll check it out. Best of luck on your next Camino!
I like sunsets better as I was luckily born with the lazy gene so I can achieve that state morning, noon or night. :D. I was thinking about my food preferences and I do love that French food but growing up in The Bronx in a Jewish/Italian neighborhood, when I would go to my friends houses and those immigrant or first generation Italian moms would have me over for dinner. I can't even begin to tell you how good it was. My friends, though, loved to eat at my house more. My mom was a Syrian Jew and cooked all the traditional Arabic foods. She learned how to cook from my grandfather who in another life would be, and I am not joking, a world famous chef. So although I may have love that French food usually you love something more when you can't have it as much. I love the seafood in Portugal too and the added bonus of the Portuguese people who I think are the kindest and most generous people I have ever met in my life. Also I am not that much of a wine drinker but I do love that French wine.
If you ever get to New York make sure you eat in the Little Italy in The Bronx. It blows all the Italian restaurants in Manhattan out of the water. Unfortunately about 15 years ago the rich Manhattanites discovered my Little Italy and it has become the "cool place" to eat. Prices have gone WAY up but quality remains the same.

I did the CF in 2017 and I am doing the Le Puy starting Aug. 5th. Yes, it gets in to your blood. The only reason I didn't do one last year is that I took other trips...like to Kenya, Cambodia (I trekked there too!) and the Galapagos.

Have walked a Camino every year since 2014. Living in western Canada, it is a long haul to just get there, but totally worth it. I envy those that live anywhere in Europe that are either only a train or short hop flight away from their starting point.
Planning #7 for the fall of 2020.
My problem is that only one Camino a year doesn’t seem enough now!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Which brings me to the reason for this post. ("Finally," everyone murmured.) It's July and we haven't been anywhere yet because my girlfriend retired this Spring and there were many issues to deal with, and I feel like I've wasted a year of hiking time. Yes, we're going to hike in Cornwall in Autumn, then trek across Scotland before hitting Ireland, so I've got that going for me but, darn it, I miss doing a Camino!

One lesson I learned from our two brief Caminos is that you are exactly where you are meant to be right now.

We do the Camino every other year, and spend a year pining in between.
But in tweener years, we do something else, like the West Highland Way, St Olav's, Colorado Trail. Short ones to scratch the itch.

I know the feeling. My wife and I are going to walk part of the Via Francesco from Riettei to Assisi, in late September. Maybe after that walk some of the Via Francigena. Planning itself helps relieve the itch.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Am curious to know why you decided to bike from Paris to Le Puy en Velay, why you chose that part to bike and not, say, a different part..

This was us... last yearView attachment 61125
Way too young indeed. But still inspiring you, how beautiful. God Bless, to you and to Jacqui's memory.

I understand the urge. I walked my first Camino (Frances) earlier this year and am planning the Portuguese for next year. If I could manage it I would go in a few months time in the European autumn instead of next spring. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.