• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feet bath

Toreld

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés, Fromista to SdC June/July 2016
I am preparing for my first Camino and I just bought a 10 liter travel sink in the sportshop.
When packed it is very small and weight 160 g.
I want to use it as a footbath during the Camino.
Since I am a gram counter for my luggage , I woundering what people who have walked the Camino
before think about bringing a sink for footbath.
Is it unnecesarry 160 g or did anyone bring one and never used it or used one happily.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was always happy with a long cooling shower, most of the time you didn't have any choice but have a cooling shower. :) We did borrow a basin once or twice to bathe another pilgrims feet who was in a bad way with blisters.

I never carried anything like that, but ice cold foot soaks are nice when you finish walking.
If the weight and space are no problem for you, go ahead and bring it. If anything, when not soaking your feet in it, it could do double duty as a wash basin for your clothes as the other pilgrims are painfully slow at the sinks, ha ha.
A lot of the albergues do have plastic basins for laundry. A number of times I saw fellow pilgrims use those basins to soak their feet in after everyone was finished with their laundry chores.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I always feel longing for a cooling, relaxing footbath at the end of 25-30 km stage :)
Unfortunately in my case it usually means paying 30-40 euro for a private room with a bathtub, and I can't do it too often, maybe once a week!
Talking about the foot comfort, on my first Camino, I also had a luxury item that surprised everyone who saw it. Since you are from Norway, you may know what it is, as it was probably invented in Scandinavia:

skostovletorrer.jpg

The weight of this is just 180g, you leave it in your shoes for the night, and even if they were soaking wet in the evening, in the morning they are bone dry and sooooo warm! It is such a great feeling in the morning to walk in the shoes that actually warm your feet! And I am sure it helps to prevent blisters too. I did that Camino in April, it was raining often and pilgrims had hard time drying their shoes and boots in the cold albergues. I was very happy I had this gadget with me. As you see, sometimes a Camino freshman can come up with a good idea. And I couldn't ask for advice on the internet forums, because at that time there were no forums yet :)

Buen Camino, peregrino!

Thank you for the tip about a shoe dryer.
I start in the beginning of June and will be walking slowly for weeks.
I have been checking the Camino weather forcast since february and it has been rainy and cold .
But I am hoping for sunshine and little rain in June and July.
Is that unrealistic ??????
Ì would apreciate some comments on that.
Do I need to bring a woolen sweather for evenings and mornings ??

I carried a portable dog drinking bowl and used for soaking feet (add some table salt or Epsom salts) and laundry. I may bring again, or use a 10 liter zip lock bag. Weighs is negligible and it is a nice luxury item.
Janice

I always feel longing for a cooling, relaxing footbath at the end of 25-30 km stage :)
Unfortunately in my case it usually means paying 30-40 euro for a private room with a bathtub, and I can't do it too often, maybe once a week!
Talking about the foot comfort, on my first Camino, I also had a luxury item that surprised everyone who saw it. Since you are from Norway, you may know what it is, as it was probably invented in Scandinavia:

skostovletorrer.jpg

The weight of this is just 180g, you leave it in your shoes for the night, and even if they were soaking wet in the evening, in the morning they are bone dry and sooooo warm! It is such a great feeling in the morning to walk in the shoes that actually warm your feet! And I am sure it helps to prevent blisters too. I did that Camino in April, it was raining often and pilgrims had hard time drying their shoes and boots in the cold albergues. I was very happy I had this gadget with me. As you see, sometimes a Camino freshman can come up with a good idea. And I couldn't ask for advice on the internet forums, because at that time there were no forums yet :)

Buen Camino, peregrino!
We stuffed our boots with newspaper provided by the albergues

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for the tip about a shoe dryer.
I start in the beginning of June and will be walking slowly for weeks.
I have been checking the Camino weather forcast since february and it has been rainy and cold .
But I am hoping for sunshine and little rain in June and July.
Is that unrealistic ??????
Ì would apreciate some comments on that.
Do I need to bring a woolen sweather for evenings and mornings ??
Having walked the CF during the months of June and July I found the weather to be perfect and for two Caminos during those two months I experienced rain on maybe two days. I don't remember exactly. Two out of about seventy ain't bad. Doubt if you will need a shoe dryer.
I found it to be a little cool in the mornings and evenings and that's where a fleece pullover came in handy. Otherwise once the sun came up it was warm and I wore shorts everyday on both Caminos. I had long pants to wear in the evenings.
Wool is great and warm, but a bit heavy. I found a polyester fleece pullover to be perfect, but if you don't have one and don't mind hauling the wool one around, go ahead.
ultreia

Hola Mr. Dougfitz and Mr. Gandalf

Get a grip boys.

AGREED - Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
I carried a portable dog drinking bowl and used for soaking feet (add some table salt or Epsom salts) and laundry. I may bring again, or use a 10 liter zip lock bag. Weighs is negligible and it is a nice luxury item.
Janice
The ziplock bag is quite an interesting idea, do you use these 10 gallon ones, or a 10 liter one?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003U6A3EY/?tag=casaivar02-20

You could also use it for a dry bag as extra protection on those really rainy days.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Having walked the CF during the months of June and July I found the weather to be perfect and for two Caminos during those two months I experienced rain on maybe two days. I don't remember exactly. Two out of about seventy ain't bad. Doubt if you will need a shoe dryer.
I found it to be a little cool in the mornings and evenings and that's where a fleece pullover came in handy. Otherwise once the sun came up it was warm and I wore shorts everyday on both Caminos. I had long pants to wear in the evenings.
Wool is great and warm, but a bit heavy. I found a polyester fleece pullover to be perfect, but if you don't have one and don't mind hauling the wool one around, go ahead.
ultreia

Thank you Mark,
This is very useful information.
I do have some lightweight wool
pashmina sweathers. I will bring one for the evenings and mornings.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am preparing for my first Camino and I just bought a 10 liter travel sink in the sportshop.
When packed it is very small and weight 160 g.
I want to use it as a footbath during the Camino.
Since I am a gram counter for my luggage , I woundering what people who have walked the Camino
before think about bringing a sink for footbath.
Is it unnecesarry 160 g or did anyone bring one and never used it or used one happily.

I'll be sensible and respond to the OP. I have had a 5 litre Sea & Summit kitchen sink since they first appeared countless years ago. It is much heavier than the current models. It has trekked all over the world with me and in all sorts of conditions - I never go anywhere without it. It is amazingly versatile. I have used it as a foot bath, to fetch water from streams, water dogs and other animals, a rain hat in one desperate downpour and a snow hat at another time (I am being serious here moderators! unfortunately I wouldn't allow any photos as evidence). It makes a great hair/dish/clothes washing sink. Filled to the brim and poured over many sunburnt necks here in Australia, it has helped to down many an overheated walker. It sits in the top of my backpack and adds a layer of wear and weather protection to fragile and/or precious items.

I took it on my Camino last year and it earned its place many times over :cool:

I'll be sensible and respond to the OP. I have had a 5 litre Sea & Summit kitchen sink since they first appeared countless years ago. It is much heavier than the current models. It has trekked all over the world with me and in all sorts of conditions - I never go anywhere without it. It is amazingly versatile. I have used it as a foot bath, to fetch water from streams, water dogs and other animals, a rain hat in one desperate downpour and a snow hat at another time (I am being serious here moderators! unfortunately I wouldn't allow any photos as evidence). It makes a great hair/dish/clothes washing sink. Filled to the brim and poured over many sunburnt necks here in Australia, it has helped to down many an overheated walker. It sits in the top of my backpack and adds a layer of wear and weather protection to fragile and/or precious items.

Hola Mary.

Thank you for the inspiration to bring it to the Camino.
It is only 160 g, but I have not start packing yet. so I do not know yet how much the basic needs weigh.
My backpack is 1 kg and sleepingbag is
800 g. So there is still 3.2 kg for the rest of my things. Limit is max 6 kg.
I hope it will come with me.

Sorry Meri, I spelled your name wrong.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Sorry Meri, I spelled your name wrong.
No problem - its just my Forum monicker and is Papua new Guinea pidgin for 'woman'. My forum name actually came from the indigenous porters on the Kokoda Track who nicknamed me 'Wokabaut Meri' or 'Walkabout Woman' because I've trekked so much, always pitched in and was as strong and tough as the guys.

I'm glad that you've risen above the (friendly) jibes here and are considering taking the travel sink. My packing choices come down to:
  1. multi-use/purpose such 'luxury' items have to be able to do several things
  2. weight yes, you will need to consider this and I've always managed really well with a 5 litre sink
  3. does it work for me ie everyone else's opinion is welcome but it's my decision in the end and when I say that I even pack the kitchen sink, I actually do
Buen Camino and Happy Feet!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.