• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

feet care

marica

Time of past OR future Camino
summer, 2013.
hello to all of you!
this is very important for all pilgrims: how to take a proper care for feet, meaning: shoes,socks, lotions, gels, powders..and what to take from home?
tnx for help, in advance. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola Marica and welcome.
There are whole threads devoted to this subject which you will find as you get accustomed to this forum. Shoes/boots; socks; blister care etc.

To help you start this is our way of caring for our feet.

Start the day with dry feet. Terry powders his with 'Fungusol' sold in Spanish farmacias and recommended to him. I don't powder mine in the morning but do so at night. Wash and dry your feet well each night. Check for any rubbed places and use a plaster next day if necessary. We do not use Compeed!! Others love it.

We wear 3 pairs of socks to prevent blisters - the middle pair take all the friction. All should fit without being overtight or wrinkling.
Very thin inner pair next to the skin. Make sure thay are a good fit and smooth them before adding a mid weight second pair. Again smooth them out before adding the final thickest pair. Again smooth them out and put on your chosen boots/shoes. The inner liner socks are washed each night. We have 3 pairs each. The middle and outer socks we have 2 pairs each as they do not need washing much due to their make. (This all includes the ones we are wearing)

We like lightweight leather boots which come just over our ankles for good support. They must be bought wearing a full set of socks for a good fit. It is best to try boots later in the day when your feet are warm and have 'spread'. Leather is breathable and can be waterproofed. You should have wriggle room for your toes. A good shop will help you with fit.

If you feel a 'hot spot' while walking stop right then, not half a km later. It is a blister starting. Take off your socks, check out if anything has wrinkled and put a plaster over any red place. Check both feet. Replace all footwear carefully and carry on. :)
(I had to do this right at the end of our Camino.)

You are so right to ask questions about foot care as 'happy feet' are so important.

Then comes the importance of a good fitting pack........

Buen Camino

tnx, tia valeria, i'm planing to wear sneakers, and since it's very warm during the summer, i think that three pairs of socks is too much. but, i'll remember other advices.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
i'm planing to wear sneakers
Only you can judge what is right for your walk, but "sneakers" are often a poor choice. Make sure you test them as hiking wear by taking 10 mile walks with your pack on subsequent days. That will show you any problems. The middle of the Camino is not the right place to discover that you have chosen the wrong footwear. You may have blisters, and you probably will be buying new shoes that need to be worn in. That may mean more blisters! Remember that you are committing to walk a half-marathon per day for over a month, and with a 15# backpack. Your footwear may be wet on a regular basis. That is a lot different than walking around your house or town with regular stops in an easy chair.

Buen camino!

While I prefer my boots whatever time of year the 3 sock system need not be a problem if you use thinner layers. If it was really hot I would simply change the thickness to 1 thin 2 medium, or even 3 all thin. It is more about the principal of the friction going on the middle pair. :)

The only socks we have had to replace are those middle ones.

However as Falcon says the most important thing is to experiment before you leave home and I would add that your footwear should breathe and not be sweaty, whatever style you choose.
Buen Camino

thank you all for advices. i'll wear sneackers but hor hiking and tracking, and for summer ( salomon or mckeenly), and i have good experience with those. i'm not wearing them for walk in town, but for mountain and they never caused me any problem. i will take a few pairs of socks and i think i'll be ok. maybe it's better than take the shoes that inever had in my life. and yes, i'm going to do some trainig extra before my camino. :wink:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good tips. We should all be taking care of our feet before causing problems soon. Everyday we should like look at our bare feet for cuts, blisters, red spots, and swelling. It is good also to use a mirror to check the bottoms of our feet or ask a family member for help if you have trouble seeing.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.