• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feet extras ?

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Oct/Nov 2022_Mozarabe from Almeria
A couple of weeks out from next Camino

I was going to book with podiatrist who usually scrapes etc all hardened/callousy skin on feet. Having 2nd thoughts that this may render my tootsies a little tender so close to a long walk . Any experience ?

Also, has anyone tried the soft gel heel cups that you can buy and insert between heel and shoe/boot? Or are these another thing that would move about and end up thrown away.
Annie

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have serious problems with thick calluses on both my feet. My podiatrist made custom insoles to custom fit my hiking boots. But the callus problem persists. Here is the solution I found that works for me.

I use a product called "Callex" to lubricate my feet. It has a petroleum jelly base, but has ingredients that work to exfoliate as well.

Next, I put on the silicone pads that I bought in Spain on my first Camino in 2013. The ball of the foot pad extends under all the toe joints. The top is a fine nylon material not unlike women's nylon stockings.

I also put a similar silicone pad on each heel, the heel cup is silicone and covers the heel completely. It is held in place by two nylon bands that go around the ankle and instep. The top material is the same as for the ball of the foot pads.

I cannot remember the brand. However the pads come in sets of two (left and right) in a flat box. The box is Aqua colored.

I put my liner socks on over the pads being careful not to dislodge them. Finally, I put my thick Smart Wool socks over the liners.

Just FYI, it takes me 15-20 minutes every morning just to "dress" my feet.

I hand wash the pads every night. While I have a spare set at home, the first sets of ball of foot, and heel pads have now done three Caminos. The pads are not cheap. But they literally saved all three of my Caminos.

For the really tough jobs I carry a rasp I bought in a Spanish pharmacy. It is far more aggressive that what I can find in the US.

I hope this helps.

It is very helpful. I thinks the heel cups I saw were in same colour pack you mention . Also helps reading how you keep them from moving / that is , cover or held in place by the liner socks. Clever.

Yes prep of feet AM takes time , worth it

Thank you

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello Ozannie, regarding with your concern maybe a petroleum jelly well works, for my own experienced I have done it for my self everyday and the result is amazing and I was impress because I don't need to visit my doctor for treatment. Home remedy works as long as not worse.

Foot Care Vancouver

Hello Ozannie, regarding with your concern maybe a petroleum jelly well works, for my own experienced I have done it for my self everyday and the result is amazing and I was impress because I don't need to visit my doctor for treatment. Home remedy works as long as not worse.

Foot Care Vancouver
Thank you xandrae for your kind help.
I do like the product you mention. My concern was more directed to whether it would be silly to have the hard skin removed so close to starting the walk which would leave feet tender (like a babies feet) and whether that may put one more open to developing blisters - than leaving it alone. Still use the product etc though.

Annie

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.