• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Feet Growing" while on Camino (??)

Glenn Rowe

Time of past OR future Camino
I've read several times that people have experienced their feet swelling up to a full size or more while on the Camino. We were always taught to rest with our feet slightly higher than our hearts while taking a break from walking. Has anyone tried this on the Camino?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
G'day Glen, I walked the Via de la Plata in July last year. Before the VDLP I was a size 13 and after I am now a size 14. I isn't swelling, they are actually longer which I suspect is to do with the foot flattening out due load bearing over the 1,000 kms. I used support inserts in my boots so I was a bit surprised. Hasn't impacted anything other than 14's can be a bit harder to find :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Your age, health, and physical condition all play a role if one is affected by swelling in the feet an ankles. You have probably already reviewed sites that discuss reasons for swelling, but here is one that specifically discusses how standing up or walking long distances can cause temporary swelling. Raising your feet can help, but for some of us our feet are going to swell regardless of raising them throughout the day and night.

As can already see from the two previous posts - some of us actually have bigger feet for an extended period. It happens enough that it is not uncommon, but it is also not universal. It all depends the individual.

Lots of pilgrims raise their feet - it won't prevent swelling, but it aids in reducing swelling.

Make sure you talk to your doctor about your future Camino. He will have advice for you.

Glenn,
Its very normal for your hands and feet to swell when doing distance walking, biking or running. There are several issues that create this problem and are perfectly normal:
1) In the heat you get more blood flow to your extremities trying to send blood to the capillaries in your hands and feet. Some claim it helps your hands from getting fat fingers if you use walking poles which might allow your blood to flow back easier due to the motion.
2) As you sweat your body also losses electrolytes (salts) from the bloodstream, which help keep your body balanced and are helpful in reducing swelling of your tissues again on you extremities hands and feet. If you drink several bottles during a long walk or run every other bottle should contain a electrolyte supplement. (gaterade)

I wear a 11.5 dress shoe , a 12.5 running and tennis shoe and a 13 hiking low-cut trail shoe. Your feet will return to normal if not you should seek to see a DR.

I never experienced the foot swelling thing while on the Camino and always wore footwear the same size I wear off the Camino. My toes did callous up a bit, though.
I am a big advocate of foot care though, while walking it. Cold soaks. Hot soaks. Massages. etc.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Over the weekend I attended the first AusCamino Festival (fantastic!). One of the speakers was an advocate of walking the Camino in bare feet. The claim (among others) is that your arches actually become stronger. I did not think to ask about foot length.

The camino hasn't changed the size of my feet, but it has confirmed my knowledge about my feet and what size shoe is appropriate for long walking. Many people simply wear the smallest shoes that don't hurt their feet. And most people don't walk as much as they should for good health.

Is there anything wrong with having feet a bigger "size" than you thought you had, especially if they are stronger feet?

I've read several times that people have experienced their feet swelling up to a full size or more while on the Camino. We were always taught to rest with our feet slightly higher than our hearts while taking a break from walking. Has anyone tried this on the Camino?
Resting with my legs up the wall was a part of my daily end-of-walking aftercare. A pair of my shoes that were starting to get tight when I left for the Camino were actually loose when I returned. I suspect that this happened because the amount of weight I lost outpaced the spreading due to long distance walking. Hadn't considered that elevating my feet might have been a factor as well.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
They can swell, or they can grow, or they can do both or neither. In my case it's both -- I've gained a full three (European) sizes since my first Camino, and my feet need to be loose enough in my boots to allow for swelling during a walk (but of course not so loose as to constitute a risk factor).

It would be prudent to predict and plan for swelling, as it is quite frequent even if you turned out to be free of it ; having seen how it can affect others, in terms of pain & blisters, even injury, precautions are wise.

My sister's theory, which as far as I know is completely unsupported by any scholarly research, is that feet swell for around the first two weeks of the camino. Sometime between weeks two and three the swelling plateaus and stays like that to Santiago and for some time beyond.
My camino shoes were one and a half sizes bigger than my shoe size with wide toe box and narrow heel. I may have said this just once or twice before, but I never got a blister.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Uphill, downhill, flat or rocky roads, warm or cold weather.. I bought shoes that big that from above they look like the equator. :D Usually I´m a size 5 1/2, but my hikingboots are in size 7 1/2. I always use two pairs of wool socks in my shoes, even in summertimes. I like to have some extra space so that my toes wount get damaged when there is steep terrain , and then som space for any swelling and extra airiness. Don´t be obsessed with size, a foot is still just a foot. ;)

After four Caminos, I discovered that my US size 11 (EU 44) feet have in increased in size to 11.5. I was surprised but not really.

In my oft stated recommendations about boots sizing I opine that the typical person (ALL people are different) should allow 1/2 size more for wearing two pairs of socks (liner and outer cushioning sock), 1/2 size for swelling by the end of the day, and 1/2 size for foot "splaying" or spreading from walking a month or more with a loaded rucksack. It would seem from this thread that my admonitions were correct.

Most folks accepted the 1/2 size for socks and 1/2 size for end of day swelling. But some, perhaps a significant number, took issue with the foot splaying after several weeks of walking every day. I maintain my observation and recommendation.

However, in saying this, I also allow that ALL feet are different form person to person. Each of us is in the best position to gauge the degree to which the last 1/2 size )making a total of 1.5 sizes beyond your street shoe size) make practical sense.

I hope this helps.

So those nice comfy Keens that I finally found and fit me like a glove are not going to work?! Ugh women's 9 have to find a 10 1/2? I'm thinking men's shoes might be better! Maybe by end of the journey I will be able to walk on water with my new boats

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So those nice comfy Keens that I finally found and fit me like a glove are not going to work?! Ugh women's 9 have to find a 10 1/2? I'm thinking men's shoes might be better! Maybe by end of the journey I will be able to walk on water with my new boats
Not necessarily. If they work for you, go with them. Just be flexible in sock type. Bring some ultra-thin running variety if you are concerned your feet MIGHT get larger. I repeat, might. It's just another "what-if" that serves no use when walking the Camino.

Not necessarily. If they work for you, go with them. Just be flexible in sock type. Bring some ultra-thin running variety if you are concerned your feet MIGHT get larger. I repeat, might. It's just another "what-if" that serves no use when walking the Camino.

Thank you. This is the biggest question I've been struggling with how to compensate for a what if. Shoes to me are the most important for the walk... bad shoes bad journey...

Thank you. This is the biggest question I've been struggling with how to compensate for a what if. Shoes to me are the most important for the walk... bad shoes bad journey...
Oh yeah, no doubt proper shoes are probably on top of the list there as far as Camino equipment. The only bad thing is that there is no way of knowing how shoes will perform on a 25k walk with a pack up and down hills until you actually do one with them on. Otherwise it's a crap shoot. The good thing is that if all else fails, and one's shoes/boots are a total fail, you can get another pair at different places along the Camino.
Do some long walks, say at least 10k with those Keens. If they work, then I would think all systems go. If they don't work, you will know after 10k in them.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks everyone. Merciful heavens! I certainly hope that MY big broad feet (size 13 EEE) don't grow anymore!:eek: They already look like Hobbit-feet; they're just not as furry!:confused:

The reason for my question: I'm no stranger to carrying a pack (25 pounds and up) all day for many days. My feet sometimes swelled to the point that I dared not remove my boots until the end of the day. But they didn't grow.

Last edited:
I found that I had to wear larger shoes to accommodate my socks and injinji liners. Plus the more your feet can breathe, and the more you can wiggle your toes, the less likely will be the friction that causes the blisters! Elevate and air out your feet at you breaks on the way, if you can. As a yoga instructor/nurse, the legs up the wall is a marvelous pose at the end of your day too.

Elevate and air out your feet at you breaks on the way, if you can. As a yoga instructor/nurse, the legs up the wall is a marvelous pose at the end of your day too.
Yup, elevating the feet is a 50+-year habit of mine. Plus, I have a surprising amount of medical/rehabilitation knowledge and experience. My wife is a yoga instructor as are many of her friends.

So, Elle, I guess you're "preaching to the choir" as far as I'm concerned. :D;)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh yeah, no doubt proper shoes are probably on top of the list there as far as Camino equipment. The only bad thing is that there is no way of knowing how shoes will perform on a 25k walk with a pack up and down hills until you actually do one with them on

There's also no way to accurately assess any pilgrim's needs in footwear except by exactly that sort of trial and error, often until days after starting their Camino -- thankfully, helpful pilgrim shops exist along the Way to accommodate the urgent needs of anyone lacking enormous feet like mine ... :p

Micah26, I wore keens too which I had walked in for 6 months, with my loaded pack prior to going with no problems, however I did get terrible blisters on the Camino as my feet swelled so much, so go up a size if you can. I took a pair of Teva's too.

G'day Micah26,
My wife buys mens hiking boots so she can get a wider fit. She also has a pair of walking sandals which she wears with her socks.........
We also have thick and thin socks and plenty of vaseline so we have some chance of managing potential swelling and blisters. It's most important to have healthy feet as they carry us through our Camino's.

Hi Kanga,

In my case I am very supportive for her to wear them as happy wife = happy life.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Micah26, I wore keens too which I had walked in for 6 months, with my loaded pack prior to going with no problems, however I did get terrible blisters on the Camino as my feet swelled so much, so go up a size if you can. I took a pair of Teva's too.

I have had my Keens four about 8 months now hiking Adirondacks so not a tough go. No problems carrying 25-30 lbs but haven't walked 20 miles for many consecutive days. I'm hoping with this training as well as yoga I've been doing will help. I had a stroke so have some core weaknesses to compensate for. I'm thinking of getting one size up will ask at EMS or REI for help. My Tevas fit perfect right now too so I will do the same. I'm thinking 1 size up and wearing men's instead of women's with two types socks. Thank you for your help!

G'day Micah26,
My wife buys mens hiking boots so she can get a wider fit. She also has a pair of walking sandals which she wears with her socks.........
We also have thick and thin socks and plenty of vaseline so we have some chance of managing potential swelling and blisters. It's most important to have healthy feet as they carry us through our Camino's.

Thank you I'm thinking of doing the same as your wife- keep the Keens and Tevas but go up a size and wear men's vs women's for extra width. And to carry thin and med thick socks with liners. I've heard so much about Vaseline, tea tree oil, Vicks, Voltaren... now to select the one of these that might work best for me. Thank you so much for your help!

Hi there.........
I have been walking long distance for about 20 years, on a range of trails....My feet have definitely become larger.....When I began walking, my shoe size was a 12 US.........Now I sometimes find size 14 boots too small, even with thin socks and no insoles.....It seems to be part of the territory............
Happy Trails
Stringbean

The key IMHO to a proper fit is to buy your boots / shoes in a shop with a salesperson who KNOWS their product. This person can better guide you if they understand the characteristics of each of the shoes you consider. Also, they can help you avoid making a mistake you may later regret. For this reason, I advise against internet shopping, at least until you are completely certain of your sizing for the made and style footwear you seek to purchase.

In particular, when speaking to the salesperson ask, which brands and models / styles run slightly larger or smaller than the stated size?

For example, Keen boots and shoes DO VARY from style to style. For example, my Keen Targhee II mid-high boots run one-half size SMALL. This according to the manufacturer's web site. Also, my Keen Arroyo II hiking sandals run one-half size SMALL, again according to the manufacturer's web site description.

The point being, exercise due diligence and do advance research.

Also:

1. Try to buy your footwear after you have been on your feet all day. They MAY have swollen slightly. This can approximate the effects of daily swelling while on Camino.

2. Try on the new footwear wearing the SAME SOCK combination you plan to wear while on Camino.

3. Make sure your heel is well seated in the heel counter and does not slide forward. Adjust the lacing accordingly. However, it is NORMAL for the heel to lift up slightly as you walk. However, the up and down movement should not exceed about 1/2 inch or 2 cm.

4. Finally, you should be able to wiggle and / or cross your toes in the toe box of the shoes and boots. Having this much space allows for swelling and, when properly laced-up, prevents your toes from slamming into the front of the toe box on a downhill segment. Remember, for every UP on the Camino, there is a commensurate "DOWN." Some are more steep and treacherous than others.

This toe-bumping condition is regularly seen among pilgrims wearing too small hiking footwear. It results in bruised, and bleeding toes, and lost toenails...yuck!

I hope this helps.

T2andreo,
Thank you for all your good advice! I will research extensively as well as use the hikers knowledge at the above mentioned stores. Going with penny prevention worth a pound of cure theory

Hi,

I forgot to mention that we also have hiking wool (cheap and light). Not sure if it is available outside Australia and New Zealand but people swear by it. Basically it is just clean wool (free of hide) with the lanolin still in it and you simply put it around hot spots, between feet and socks. Particularly good around toes :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I tried several pair of boots and found the Keene the best for me. I purchased them at size 11.5 where I normally wear a 10. They worked really well. I have very wide feet.

I tried several pair of boots and found the Keene the best for me. I purchased them at size 11.5 where I normally wear a 10. They worked really well. I have very wide feet.
I have what I call Fred Flintstone feet! Wide flat could be used as brakesKeens and Tevas seem to fit the best for me. I readcwhere someone bought a size 3x larger than they wear! I don't know how they walked esp chalky going downhill! So it's seems consensus is 1-1/2 sizes larger I will consult with the experts and go from there. Thank you for your help!

it's seems consensus is 1-1/2 sizes larger
There is no consensus on this, except that your shoes should be plenty roomy.

An arbitrary number of sizes "bigger than normal" does not make sense. What size units are we talking about - US half sizes, UK sizes, or European? How roomy are your "normal" shoes, and do you have long toes or short ones like mine that never get near the end of a shoe?

There is no consensus on this, except that your shoes should be plenty roomy.

An arbitrary number of sizes "bigger than normal" does not make sense. What size units are we talking about - US half sizes, UK sizes, or European? How roomy are your "normal" shoes, and do you have long toes or short ones like mine that never get near the end of a shoe?

I agree , there is No concensus on this. I´m from Sweden and we uses sizes like 38-46 for example. I bought german shoes https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/camino-photos/meindl-vakumm-lady-gtx-december-2016.5899/ ,they comes in european sizes, and they have a tight fit and are very small in sizes. So it might look like I´ve overdone it (pointing up to earlier post) but in reality my normal 5 1/2 european size (39 in Sweden) is more like an size 6 in these boots, and therefore my 7 1/2 is perfect for me. And yepp they do look like the equator when looking down. :D
It all comes down to whats feels right for you. I walked around in the shop about 45 minutes wearing one size 7 on my left foot and one size 7 1/2 on my right foot. :cool: I had my own to pairs of woolsocks with me, I could have gone for the smaller one, but I wasn´t quite sure they would be enough in summertimes when my feet seems to swollen just a tiny bit more then in wintertimes. I haven´t regretted my choise, I walk between 6,3 and 12,6 km everyday, in all sorts of terrain, with my backpack "Ryggan" packed (7,3 Kg water and something to eat included) and I´m totally happy. No pressure points and No blisters just a perfect fit from day one. :) Ps! I have long toes. :eek::D

Ultreia!

My feet grew from a UK 5.5 to a 7 and so my boots no longer fitted. I wasn't expecting this at all as these were old well worn in boots I'd had for years, boots I trusted. However never before had I walked pretty much everyday for 5 weeks straight... with a few days off along the way. My feet haven't gone back in size 8 months later.... I'm assuming when I return to do the last section they won't go up another size and a half again! Do people who do multiple Caminos have huge feet I wonder?

Just to add to the tally, my feet are permanently one half size larger.

The only downside is that some of my favorite non- hiking shoes no longer fit.

First you measure your foot size at the end of the day. By doing so your shoe will never be too tight since your foot grows in size over the course of everyday. For long distance walking get a shoe that is 1/2 to a full size larger since you'll have a load to carry thus more swelling. If you wear socks that are too thin then the socks will have less wicking action. Use merino wool socks, never, never, never cotton. Take your at the end of the day measurement with the type of socks you intend to use. I use a medium weight Smart Wool brand merino hiking sock; then chose 1/2 size over. If you have small feet then the swelling will be about 1/2 size over but if you have long feet then the swelling will be more like one to two sizes over. If you start the day with floppy shoes, wear a sock liner for the first 2 hours, then do the usual sock change at the 2 hour intervals without the liner. Mornings are cool enough to wear a liner anyway.

My feet grew from a UK 5.5 to a 7 and so my boots no longer fitted. I wasn't expecting this at all as these were old well worn in boots I'd had for years, boots I trusted. However never before had I walked pretty much everyday for 5 weeks straight... with a few days off along the way. My feet haven't gone back in size 8 months later.... I'm assuming when I return to do the last section they won't go up another size and a half again! Do people who do multiple Caminos have huge feet I wonder?
I hope not - re feet getting larger and larger

.... It isn't swelling, they are actually longer which I suspect is to do with the foot flattening out due load bearing over the 1,000 kms. ...
I have suspected this for a while, but feel better knowing that it is common - I'll now get on with investing in a larger size!

Yes, my feet swell a size when I walk for a long few hours and it's hot. But also, my feet got bigger on the camino because my muscles were getting bigger. I talked with a sports doctor before my camino because of heel pain, and not being able to stand very long (ten minutes). He said this was a common complaint of women it their 50's. He suggested that my muscles had atrophied over the years and that physical therapy would help. So I did my physical therapy. But I think it was the walking every day on the camino that really beefed up my feet. My feet touch the ground in a different way now and it doesn't hurt to stand. And my feet are a size and half bigger.

I bought larger shoes and for me it was a mistake. I did take care to stop every two hours during the first week or ten days when I was 'getting used to it' and take off shoes and socks and rest at least 15 minutes. Then the temps dropped to very cool and I stopped doing it. I gave us wearing my oversized shoes and walked the rest (Burgos to Santiago) wearing Birkenstock EVA sandals with double socks. No pain, no blisters, for ME they were great. So anything is possible.

This won't work for everyone, but I just wanted you to know that some people do not have the creeping foot size syndrome. I should note that I walked in my daily work at least 10000 steps a day for 20 years and I wore good walking shoes (read as unfashionable) every day. I see so many shoe threads, but one must consider their own feet and style, little of this is transferable in my opinion. It is one of the lessons the Camino teaches us.

Coincidently today I sold my two pairs of size 11 Hoka and Columbia shoes on Ebay.

Attachments

• Sandals on rocky path - cropped.jpg
    Sandals on rocky path - cropped.jpg
    697.8 KB · Views: 4

€60,-
I bought larger shoes and for me it was a mistake. I did take care to stop every two hours during the first week or ten days when I was 'getting used to it' and take off shoes and socks and rest at least 15 minutes. Then the temps dropped to very cool and I stopped doing it. I gave us wearing my oversized shoes and walked the rest (Burgos to Santiago) wearing Birkenstock EVA sandals with double socks. No pain, no blisters, for ME they were great. So anything is possible.

This won't work for everyone, but I just wanted you to know that some people do not have the creeping foot size syndrome. I should note that I walked in my daily work at least 10000 steps a day for 20 years and I wore good walking shoes (read as unfashionable) every day. I see so many shoe threads, but one must consider their own feet and style, little of this is transferable in my opinion. It is one of the lessons the Camino teaches us.

Coincidently today I sold my two pairs of size 11 Hoka and Columbia shoes on Ebay.

It's not unlikely your feet had already grown out simply from all that walking at work -- your feet don't keep growing every time you do a Camino, or if they do it'll be a much slower process after the first time. Even IF you are one of the people that this can happen to.

But you're right anyway -- anything is possible. :p

Im surprised no one mention swollen calves.
I had problem with swollen calves, and cramps after a few days of walking.
So I recommend compression sock.
A compression sock helps the blood circulation and helps against swollen legs, fatigue and cramp.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Compression socks gave me the most terrible hiker's rash ever. Haha - there is no universal solution!
Because of the compression?

Either use the socks while walking, or while at rest after walking.
Im gonna try them out next time ;-)

Not sure. Since the cause of hiker's rash (a vasculitis) is not well understood in the first place, it is hard to say. It might have been friction and/or sweat and/or compression, but it was dramatic at the end of that day.

Long ago, in a world far away, mi companerios and I once completed a 26-mile walk in a single, hot and ever-so-humid "can-to-can't" day. I wound up with a dramatic rash on the front-and-outer part of both thighs, probably caused by the gentle friction against my pants legs. Or, since they were freshly-laundered, it could have been a reaction to a teeny-tiny bit of residual laundry detergent.

Heaven only knows, but to say it was uncomfortable would be a significant understatement.... :eek:

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Even walking steps every day I would guess you didn't do this with a rucksack on your back?

Im surprised no one mention swollen calves.
I had problem with swollen calves, and cramps after a few days of walking.
So I recommend compression sock.
A compression sock helps the blood circulation and helps against swollen legs, fatigue and cramp.
Yep, I'm with you. I use Smart Wool Phd medium weight high socks that work like compression socks. I alternated low socks and found my energy level a tad better with the compression socks. You can tell how much energy you have after each break you take. When tired it's hard to stand up from a sitting position.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back