• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feet issues - Chacos?

Ojala

Time of past OR future Camino
French Route (2018)
Hey all!

I am planning on walking the Camino (French Route) this summer in July! However, whenever I walk, the bottom of my feet hurt - even on very short walks. I've talked to foot doctor, and they've given me the we-don't-really-know-what-the-issue-is-nothing-seems-to-be-wrong-and-we-don't-really-know-what-to-do answer. The only shoes that do not hurt me feet in this way is a pair of Chaco sandals. Can you give any suggestions or advice regarding walking the Camino in Chacos?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The pair of Chacos that I own have a very flat, thick sole. I personally cannot imagine walking in them for my typical day of 15 miles. You may have a different design, and, if so, I withdraw my comment as unhelpful.

The other consideration, assuming your model uses straps to secure your feet to the soles, is that dust and grit can find their way under your feet and toes. That's because you'll be walking part of the time on dirt roads.

So, why not try out your Chacos on a weekend. Hike two consecutive days of the daily mileage you think you'll cover on the Camino....you may find that consecutive days of hiking, especially with a pack, may give you your answer.

Buen Camino, Chaco clad or not.

Tom

I don't know what Chacos look like, but a number of people do walk in sandals successfully. I intend to next time.
Bonus is you don't have to wash socks, and in July your feet wont get cold. I had thought gravel would get in your sandals, but my friend walked in Tevas, and that rarely occurred.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Ojala,
So sorry to hear of your feet issues, especially that there's no diagnosis.

I love wearing Chacos after walking the day's walk - they feel great walking around town. Hiking with them can be a different story, though (at least for me) and cause some friction. I've recently seen that Chacos make closed shoes, though - have you tried those?

Hey all!

I am planning on walking the Camino (French Route) this summer in July! However, whenever I walk, the bottom of my feet hurt - even on very short walks. I've talked to foot doctor, and they've given me the we-don't-really-know-what-the-issue-is-nothing-seems-to-be-wrong-and-we-don't-really-know-what-to-do answer. The only shoes that do not hurt me feet in this way is a pair of Chaco sandals. Can you give any suggestions or advice regarding walking the Camino in Chacos?

They Make shoes too, you may want to try some... I saw them on Amazon!

Good news Ojala,

The internals of many Chacos are designed similar to boots, so "yes" you can take them on long distance hikes (I'm pictured with mine on in Cordoba!). Since you have some time, try taking a long hike with your pack on, and see how it feels.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked from Burgos to SDC in October 2014. After blisters developed from the wet intereiors of my waterproof trail runners, I switched to my Chaco Z1 sandals and wore them exclusively for the remaining 200+ miles. On cold, wet days I wore ultra thin Smartwool socks. The socks and my feet dried quickly,and I never had another blister. I have been wearing Chaco sandals for nearly 20 years. They are like security blankets for my feet. I have tried some of the Chaco closed toed shoes, most recently the Outcross Evo Free, and they are too narrow and constricting for me. You may not have that issue, so I encourage you to experiment. I also found that they were lacking the superb arch support of the sandals. I have hiked mountain trails and crossed streams in Chacos, so I felt confident that they would serve me well on the Camino. I plan to walk the Norte next fall. I will bring “regular”shoes of some sort (NOT waterproof this time) and my dependable Chacos.

Hi Ojala - I have a pair of Chaco sandals that I always take with me. They are a bit heavy but I carry them as my night-time shoes. I also sometimes walk in them. On my last camino I wore them for about a week when I had blister problems. They were great. The ones I have are very adjustable -- the straps provide a lot of support and the sole is substantial. I wear them with socks.

Hi,
I walked the Frances Route in September 2016 and in doing so I developed a (what I thought was) a bone spur on my right heel.. Boy did that hurt... I pressed on and eventually it mostly went away. I’m planing to walk the Portuguese Route from Lisbon this August and am looking for shoes I won’t have a problem with. I’ve tried a few that have possibilities but I’m now intrigued with this brand.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KWMLW76/?tag=casaivar02-20
This is the first pair I’m going to try and test out. The one that I’ve Had the most success with so far is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQYZE8K/?tag=casaivar02-20
I have put on nearly 600 miles on these and have worn them down past the grips on to the soles. The first 300 miles were the best trail shoes I ever had. I bought another pair and its like a different pair of shoes, not even close to the first pair... My hopes are that Chaco’s Will work for me.

Good luck in your search as well

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I found Keen sandals in Logrono when my "walking shoes" hurt my feet. The Keens are substantial, have elastic laces that can be adjusted. Smartwool socks are good for cooler weather. Wore them for the rest of that Camino, use them some here at home, will take them to Portugal in June. I also have some Keen shoes that are good for winter weather here in the NW, but the sandals are more adjustable and cooler in warmer weather.

It sounds as though you need something with a thicker sole to reduce the impact on your poor feet. Do the boos/shoes you originally planned to walk in have Vibran soles? As they do reduce the impact. If your original shoes/boots have then perhaps you could try gel insoles. Only problem with that is you may have to get a larger size boot/shoe. Hope this is of some help

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.