• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feet

judydaisy

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria - Santiago 2004
Roncesvalles - Estella 2009
Camino Ingles - 2012
Tui - Santiago - 2014
I'm wondering if anyone has a solution for my 3rd and 4th toes! Over the years they have curled over a bit at the ends and when I walk for any length of time the nails, no matter what I do take the brunt and I invariably lose them (the nails that is, not the toes!) :eek: I seem to remember in the dim and distant past one could buy something like a splint to hook round said toes and stop them curling under so much. Does anyone have any ideas? Or maybe someone has found a homemade solution using self adhesive felt perhaps
Alternatively, I had thought that maybe I would be better off in proper walking sandals rather than boots. I have both but have no experience of sandals over long periods of time. Apart from the toes, would I get sufficient support from them/are they suitable for the Portuguese route/terrain.
Any ideas for my poor old pinkies would be welcome
Buen camino to all

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm wondering if anyone has a solution for my 3rd and 4th toes! Over the years they have curled over a bit at the ends and when I walk for any length of time the nails, no matter what I do take the brunt and I invariably lose them (the nails that is, not the toes!) :eek: I seem to remember in the dim and distant past one could buy something like a splint to hook round said toes and stop them curling under so much. Does anyone have any ideas? Or maybe someone has found a homemade solution using self adhesive felt perhaps
Alternatively, I had thought that maybe I would be better off in proper walking sandals rather than boots. I have both but have no experience of sandals over long periods of time. Apart from the toes, would I get sufficient support from them/are they suitable for the Portuguese route/terrain.
Buen camino to all
You probably know this but you hiking shoes should be at least 1 size bigger (USA) than your normal shoe.
Your feet will swell on long distances and need the extra room. After losing numerous toe nails from running marathons I learned my lesson. I wear an 11 normal shoe and a 13 hiking boot.
Jack

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen camino to all
Go to a podiatrist they have a little thing called a toe wedge. It has a piece of elastic that goes over your toe to hold it in place and the wedge tucks under your toes pushing them nearly straight. I have been prescribed one and have done my daily walk of approx 8 km with it with no discomfort. My podiatrist said for my weekend walks (around 22 km), he recommends I take it off after an hour and replace it hour on hour off. I am also supposed to wear it during the day with my sandles, but it is more comfortable with a sock and enclosed shoes holding it in place.

If you can't comfortably wear shoes AND you have strong ankles I suggest you try out walking in Ecco closed toe sandals. I first used Keen sandals but they were too slippery on wet rocks or mud (downright dangerous!). Also not as durable or as much cushioning on rocky trails as the Ecco's. For snow or rain I slip on neoprene booties under my wool hiking socks. Kept my feet warm and not nearly as damp as when I put a larger neoprene sock over the wool socks.

Several of the posts above contain very good information. To recap the best, and infuse the reply with my experience, I recommend the following:

1. Obtain walking shoes / hiking boots that are AT LEAST one full size larger than your normal size. If you have feet that swell a lot in warm weather or after a long day on your feet - consider one and one-half sizes over your normal street shoe size. If the particular model you prefer runs small, go up in size.

I wear a US size 11 street shoe and a size 13 Keen hiking boot. Following my advice, I should have a size 12, and preferably a size 12 1/2 hiking boot, but my Keen model runs one-half size small. So I went for the size 13. It was a brilliant move! You can easily adjust your laces to fit a slightly large boot to your foot. However, there is nothing you can do to make a too small shoe/boot larger. I did not have a single blister on the entire Camino last year. My problems were with heel calluses.

2. Make sure you can freely wiggle your toes in the hiking shoes/boots you choose. A roomy toe box is key to protecting your toes.

3. Do visit a podiatrist with your boots and wearing two pair of socks (liner and outer cushioning sock) when you go. Explain what you are going to do and allow the podiatrist to make recommendations. I recently obtained custom orthotics to fit my now-resoled Keen boots. Last year I had serious heel callus problems that required medical attention by the time I arrived at Burgos. I already took proactive action to prevent this from reoccurring this year. It was not cheap, but it is a lot cheaper than an interrupted Camino requiring a return journey from the States.

In my observation on last year's Camino, toe nail loss seemed to be caused by: (1) shoes that were too small and which did not allow enough room in the toe box for toes to wiggle freely when fully socked and laced in - some people were walking the Camino in their normal street sized shoes; and (2) improperly laced shoes and boots permitting feet to slide forward on downhill sections causing toes to continually smash into the inside front of the toe box.

The repeated basing caused people to bruise, blister and lose toenails. It was not pretty. Boots or walking shoes that are fine for walking around a city or college campus are not usually large enough to host the added space required by two pairs of socks and a lot of swelling over the course of the day.

If your shoes / boots are properly sized, you wear adequate socks for protection, and you learn how to lace your boots to retain your heels in the back of the shoe / boot, you should be fine. Search for how to lace hiking boots on You Tube. You will be surprised. I was, and I learned too.

Also, some people swear by applying vaseline or a similar lubricating ointment to your feet to prevent chafing. I use a product recommended by my podiatrist here in the U.S. It is called "Callex" and is available in some pharmacies and online. The base of the ointment is petroleum jelly. However, there are additional ingredients that use enzymes to breakdown the dead, dry skin cells that comprise calluses.

I apply the ointment before sleep and wear a cotton sock to bed. The ointment penetrates deeply and keeps my feet moist. But, again, many, many people simply use inexpensive petroleum jelly, which can also be bought anywhere in the world.

I hope this helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree with a previous reply. I think you have been wearing the wrong size boot. I learned through running marathon and losing toe nails several times that i had been wearing running shoes a size and a half too small. Although they felt comfortable at first i didn't realise how much ur feet swell/ expand when they get hot.
T

My hiking shoes were at least a size larger than I regularly use and I still got blackened toenails on hammer toes.
Problem was quickly solved by inserting earplugs between the problem toes.
Sounds a bit like the toe wedge solution mentioned above.
Whatever, it sure worked.
The other measure I will take this year is to buy wide footwear.
I used and liked Merrell Moabs which I now know are available in a wide fitting.

Regds
Gerard

I consistently lose the toenails on my second toes. My shoes and socks are plenty roomy. A blister forms under the nail and voila! the nail lifts off. I have sensitive toes and they do not touch the end of the shoe even going downhill. I think it must be something about the way I walk. So...I have found some silicone "toe sleeves" to try out before my next camino. I might have to tape them a bit since I think they might get slippery on sweaty toes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, silicone sleeves work for me too, for a number of toe issues, from curving under and rubbing the ends on the insole (not on the end of the shoe) or ones that rub together for various reasons. I am packing extras as they are essential to me and they seem to be easy to remove and never find again,

Taping would work I think but is very hard to get smooth in some areas.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.