• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

female alone traveler

Alkymisten

Hi! I got a lot of questions,, sure theres more to come after this....
I`m 28 and planing to maybe do this route in two three months..

*I have only ONE week, can I do this in one week? I`m ok fit, love to walk.

*And can I plan this in two months and then go?

*How much money do one need for this route, thinking of cost of hostels, food?

*Is it OK for a female traveler to do this route alone?

*Is it many who does this in autum? Guess it would be nice if there were others traveling the roads...

I have just decided, just started reading. Can count in spanish but no more;) and say one beer please(haha joking)..... But will learn a littele, write down the most important. I`m doing it coz I need it, after all I have expirienced, and to get a littele move on in life..

Then I got to find out how to travel to the starting point and then back to norway when finnished :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Then I got to find out how to travel to the starting point and then back to norway when finnished Hi! I got a lot of questions,, sure theres more to come after this....

Travel to Santiago or A Coruna - perhaps via the UK - and get a bus or train to el Ferrol. Walk to Santiago and fly home from there.

I have only ONE week, can I do this in one week? I`m ok fit, love to walk.

I walked the route in 5 days last year. One week is more than enough time.

*And can I plan this in two months and then go?

Absolutely - no problem. Start walking training now and start walking in the shoes/boots that you'll wear on the walk.

*How much money do one need for this route, thinking of cost of hostels, food?

At least 30 - 40 euro a day but more if you plan on staying in hotels instead of albergues.

*Is it OK for a female traveler to do this route alone?

Yes - you'll be fine.

*Is it many who does this in autum? Guess it would be nice if there were others traveling the roads...

No. There might be a few but not many. Last year in July we did not meet one other pilgrim but this is a Holy Year so there'll be a few pilgrims doing this route.

Just go for it - you won't regret it!

Hi there,

did the Camino Ingles in June this year. What can I say: its perfect, if you don't have a lot of time. Not crowded at all (most of the time just 3-5 pilgrims in the different albergues). It took me just 5 days from Ferrol to Santiago.

Some little up-hill climbings;-) but no problem at all. Don't speak any spanish at all, but did it the two hands way and it worked out well (especially for cerveza, vino tinto & menue del dias - what else do you need?). Did it the same way on the Camino Portuguese last year.

Took the plane to Santiago. From there by bus to the Main Autobus station in Santiago. Got a ticket there at the ticket counter for the bus to Ferrol, jumped on the bus and approx. 2 hours later I arrived there. Very easy!

Didn't use a lot of money. Euro 5,00 per day for the albergue and between Euro 15,00 and Euro 20,00 for food and drinks (its still cheap in the bars).

Its a quiet Camino, but the ladies I talked to in the albergues, told me that they didn't face any problems at all on their way.

After I arrived in Santiago, I rested for one day before I walked to Muxia and onwards to Finisterra. Quiet a difference and much more pilgrims - but very nice.

In Santiago I met Ivar in his office (Regards Ivar! I'm the pilgrim from Germany who asked you for an forum member patch - thanks for the patch, its now on my backpack).

Alkymisten, you will enjoy the Camino Ingles.

You take care & all the best for you.

Regards from "Northern Germany",

Ralf

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you both:) I just love these camino forums! Here are so great people. And always so warm, and helpfull answers:)

Maybe I got the answer one of my others questions now. It seemed like alot of people got to Santiago first as well. Guess thats the easyest way to come to the routes. Also been checking flight oslo paris and spain from there. Would like the cheapest(and fastest;) way to spain since I hope doin this in just few months.

Oh, I`m so looking forward to do this journey. Hope to see some of you lovely pilgrims out there!

Best regards to you all, alkymisten;)

Hi there again,

the cheapest way I can think about is to fly with Ryanair. You can either jump on a flight in Oslo Rygge or Oslo Torp with destination London-Stansted, from where you can take the daily morning flight to Santiago de Compostela.

If you fly out from Rygge, you will arrive very late in the evening (around midnight) in Stansted, have a couple of pints :lol: and jump on the early morning flight (guess around 08:00 hrs. in the morning) to Santiago. This will also give you plenty of time to proceed from Santiago to Ferrol (busses are going several times a day).

If you fly from Torp (morning flight), you will be too late in Stansted to catch the flight to Santiago. So, best option is Rygge, eventhough you have to spend a couple of night hours on Stansted airport (its a nice & clean airport with good restaurants & pubs). Its also a safe place, cause police is always present and very friendly/ helpful. You will meet there already a lot of pilgrims waiting for the Santiago flight.

Would say, that this is the cheapest way to come to Santiago and back.

Just check out the Ryanair page with your actual travel dates.

Hope this helps.

If we meet one day on one of the Caminos, you own me (as your travelagent) a beer :lol:

Ciao and regards to beautiful Norway,

Ralf

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Alkymisten
I am also a female planning to walk this route alone. Arriving in Ferrol by noon on 8 october, plannig to reach Santiago on 13 of october. I would like to stay in albergues where it is possible. Also to share a room in a hotel would be a good option :)
So maybe we could walk togeather? If you are interested in walking togeather, I have to say that i can't change dates, because already have tickets to/from Santiago.

I did the route with my boyfriend in time to arrive in Santiago on July 25. I would have no qualms about doing it myself. If you stay in the albergues, you will certainly meet other peregrinos. The Ingles is much less populated than some of the other groups. We only met about 15 other people. On the other hand, at the same time, we were reading in the newspapers about how people doing the French route had to be put up in schools, community centres, etc. because of the overflow. We easily did the route in 5 days. The tourist info in Ferrol (where you can get your credencial) also suggests a 4 day route that would allow you to stay in albergues all the way, but the first day (35km) would be a bit brutal. We stayed in pensions along the way and paid about 35 to 40 euros for a double. We didn't want to arrive in Santiago by plane, so we took flew to Oviedo and did some trekking in the Picos de Europa. However, you can get a train from Oviedo directly to El Ferrol. The route goes along the coast and it is very pretty. Easyjet flys from Stanstead to Oviedo. The route is very easy compared to other caminos. There is a bit of up and down, but not much at all and the path is pretty good along the route. What you do want to watch out for are the detours around the bits where they are working on the trail. See my posting on this for info on the problem areas. If you have a shell on, people know you are a peregrina and will point you in the right direction even if your Spanish isn't up to scratch.

Hi,
I am also planing to do the camino Inlges this coming September. I am from Arizona usa, and will fly to Madrid, then to Malaga. Plan on flying from Malaga to Santiago on 9/11, then take the bus either to Ferrol or to Oviedo. If anyone can tell me how many kilometers or milles are from Ferrol to Santiago, and From Oviedo to Santiago. I am also traveling along, and have 10 days. I am thinking that Ferrol is perhaps not as long as I like, and Oviedo to far. I need help with the distance, so I can decide. "please"

Love and light from this wonderful Arizona desert.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back