• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Female Wide, Big feet : Size 11 (US) mens. Still searching for the perfect walking shoes.

Salty

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning : Camino Frances - Oct 2022
What I have learned so far in the last 10 days, since I decided, I want to go walk the CF for the 1st time, in 5 weeks ( beginning of Oct) . I am female, 61, 50 pds overweight and not active at all and in Canada. I am ussually a size 10 female but for walking the dog, I wear a size 11 Nike mens. I have wasted a lot of time by going to outdoor adventure places first. If I can do this over, I will start by Googling "best running shoe store + insert the name of your cite here "

The outdoor adventure places I found, the staff is not so knowledgeable. The biggest running stores I visited, the staff is extremely knowledgable, they know a lot about feet and shoes and have tons of different shoes and big sizes in stock.

Now I know for next time, I will buy my socks 1st, and then the shoes. I have chosen thin Injiji toe socks as my 1st layer and second layer, I bought a pair of thin Icebreaker merino socks and Darn tough Ultra Light weight merino 1/4 socks . Both just come slightly above my ancle.

I now put on both my socks at home and wear my Teva sandals with it and hit the running shoe stores, with my 2 pairs of socks already on. When entering, the best running stores and tell them : " I am going to walk the Camino. I need trial runners, wide toe box and very comfy ( with lots of cushioning) light weight and slightly bigger shoes. "

The running store sales person tells me, too small shoes, makes blisters. Do not go for too small shoes. If in doubt, go for slightly bigger. You can always put on a thicker sock, but nothing you can do when you buy too small to begin with. Which I now believe was excellent advice.

My journey started at an adventure outdoor store near me. I should have never gone there, I wasted my time. I went home with a pair of Merrill Moab 2's. They felt good in the store, once home, they were so hard and extremely heavy. I returned those the next day. Next I went to another outdoor store, and got Altras Olympus 5 mens size 10.5. The sales person was not too knowlegable and told me, to not go with the size 11, as it will be too big. I also bought there Hoka M Tecton X ( the very orangy ones ) size 10.5. $ 225 CAD + tax. Those new Hokas are very pricey. I tried them out at home and thought, they feel small. I should have listened to myself and went for the size 11's.

By now I was discouraged. Next I googled, running shoe stores and this was a break through moment for me. First running store, the girl looked at my feet and immediately said you are a size 11 male. I knew that she was extremely knowleable right there. That store also had the thin Injiji toe socks in beautiful colors for me, to buy. I bought Hoka Speedgoats 5 size 11 men from them. The sales person also told me to walk around in the shoes, indoors, for at least 1 hour. That was very good info as well.

Next I went to the other running store in town and their great sales person, took a look at my feet in my 2 layers of socks and right away, as his 1st choice for me, brought me the New Balance Fresh Foam TRL V2 Harvest Gold Mens size 11. I was told this New Balance shoes are brand new on the market and are competing with the Hoka speedgoats. I am so far extremely impressed with the NB Fresh foam shoes. It feels like I am walking on a cloud, so cushiony ( great suspension and very roomy toe box, and so comfy. I then stopped at the adventure outdoor store ,where I was previously told to go with the size 10.5 Altra and Hokas. I picked up a size 11 mens Altra and size 11 Hoka. I currently, are the proud owner of 5 pairs of shoes. Well over a $1000 CAD just in shoes. I will walk indoors an hour with each pair and then decide which pair to keep and will return the rest.

The Altras are very nice. But they are a flat shoe, which is a strange new thing for our feet to adapt to. I was told that our feet are trained to walk with a type of shoe that is higher in the back. Most shoes have a higher heel part. Altras are so different, yet so comfy too. I asked what will happen as I am heavy, overweight and out of shape. Running store sales person told me, I can get pain and discomfort in the back part of my lower leg, as the muscles in our legs are not used to wearing the flat shoes.

I realise that my shoes and my socks are the most important decision I will have to make, before I can start my Camino in SJPP. I will forward my pack each day and walk short distances in the beginning eg 15 kms or less per day and go very slow. I am not relationship dependant and will not try and keep up with newly made friends who are fast, fit walkers.

What would you suggest I try next or any advice or tips on shoes and socks ? Any other suggestions I would gladly welcome and embrace.

Attached a picture of the brand new on the market New Balance Fresh Foam TRL V2 Mens shoes

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 3,833
Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Thank you for jumping in to help me. I appreciate. Is this a wide toe box shoe and available in Womens size 12 perhaps? I am in a big city of 1.2 million peeps and so far, no one at the 5 shoe places I went, has mentioned the Altra Lone Peaks to me. I will google it right away and see how big they make these and if they are wide.

I am desperate to find the most perfect shoes for me. It seems having a big foot, is almost impossible to get a big womens shoe that will fit. I always have to go with mens shoes for active shoes.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you for jumping in to help me. I appreciate. Is this a wide toe box shoe and available in Womens size 12 perhaps? I am in a big city of 1.2 million peeps and so far, no one at the 5 shoe places I went, has mentioned the Altra Lone Peaks to me. I will google it right away and see how big they make these and if they are wide.

I am desperate to find the most perfect shoes for me. It seems having a big foot, is almost impossible to get a big womens shoe that will fit. I always have to go with mens shoes for active shoes.
I had a quick look online and the female Altra Lone Peak 6 , sadly they are not available in a size 11 or 12 near me. That is possibly why I now have the mens Alta Olympus 5 in a size 11. I am very OK wearing mens shoes, I am being forced to do that almost my entire life due to most stores out of stock for the bigger shoe #'s or not carrying the bigger #'s at all.

Hi there, @Salty
I have large feet, too. They are 1 centimeter longer than most womens shoes and a little wider.

I wear Brookes Cascadia 16 (mens) much of the time and find them great for walking trails, scrambling and easy rock climbing. They are good, too for wading across streams. I like them less, though when walking on asphalt.

I have also worn out several pairs of Lone Peak 5, Altra. They are wide and very comfortable. However, when walking across Les Causses du Quercy last year -a vast expanse of hard limestone, I developed pain in the arches of my feet, from the ball of the big toe to the heel. It was high summer and very hot. I found perspiration did not escape the Lone Peak 5 shoe. The super-comfortable insoles which moulded to the shape of the foot absorbed all the moisture turning the soles of my feet into soggy, spongy prunes. I now wear my Lone Peak 5 as a house shoe and for strolling, not on trails.

All the best with finding a trail shoe which suits.

Cheers
Lovingkindness

Last edited:
I will buy my socks 1st, and then the shoes
No. You should take a couple of different socks to test, because the ideal socks will help make your shoes fit best. You might even start the day with 2 pairs, and remove a pair if your feet swell. Make sure the shoes are big enough to accommodate some swelling. Having 2 pairs of socks during your testing will help with that.
I need trial runners
You do not necessarily need trail runners. I have not found any trail runners that are as comfortable as my regular runners. I would like trail runners as they might be more durable, but I have settled for the others.

You don't need the sales person to tell you which pair to buy, although they may (or may not) have some good tips.

I am desperate to find the most perfect shoes for me.
You have found a pair that so far feels good. Consider yourself lucky! 😄 Take the rest back unless there is a very close competitor. Test the best ones at home, then at an indoor shopping mall, before committing to them

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I typically wear a womens size 12 wide, and for my upcoming Camino I have been training with a Topo Mtn Racer 2 in a mens 12. It has a wide toe box which is crucial for me. So far it has worked well. I think they might come in a woman’s 12 but that is too small for me in this shoe.

Believe it or not, Walmart maybe your best option. I have a wide foot as well (yes, I am a male, stay with me here), and I bought a pair of Ozark Trail hiking boots for about $60 US that fit perfect. Don't know what else to add but give it a try and see what happens.

Good luck.

Mark

Believe it or not, Walmart maybe your best option. I have a wide foot as well (yes, I am a male, stay with me here), and I bought a pair of Ozark Trail hiking boots for about $60 US that fit perfect. Don't know what else to add but give it a try and see what happens.

Good luck.

Mark
Thank you everyone for you input, support and advice. I have read so many times, that those who end up with heart stopping pain blisters, are the boots brigade. Overwhelmingly boots and blisters go together. For that reason, and to set myself up for success, I want to stay with trail runners. Its peace of mind for me. If something goes wrong with my feet, it will be game over.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Now I know for next time, I will buy my socks 1st, and then the shoes.
No. You should take a couple of different socks to test, because the ideal socks will help make your shoes fit best. You might even start the day with 2 pairs, and remove a pair if your feet swell. Make sure the shoes are big enough to accommodate some swelling. Having 2 pairs of socks during your testing will help with that.
I agree with @C clearly, shoes first. Socks are much easier to find...they are also more forgiving of our various foot issues than shoes. Also you may end up discarding the perfect shoes for you because they didn't combine well with your sock system.
I too have wide feet but they are not long. My problem stems from having to accommodate width & ending up with too much length...this results in lots of tripping, some near miss face-plants & a few actual face-plants!
I now put on both my socks at home and wear my Teva sandals with it...
Socks & sandals...always a good look! 😆🤣

Although my issue is different to yours, the only shoes I ever wear on the trail is Salomons; trial & slight error finding them but once I did, I've never looked back nor have I had any foot problems in thousands of kilometres walking.

Don't be discouraged; you're learning & that's the main thing. No-one gets it right the first time (whether it be footwear, pack, gear, etc). Even when finally satisfied with all your choices, you may find once you actually walk a Camino/trail you go back to the drawing board.
Experience is everything.
Enjoy & best wishes.
👣 🌏

Thank you everyone for you input, support and advice. I have read so many times, that those who end up with heart stopping pain blisters, are the boots brigade. Overwhelmingly boots and blisters go together. For that reason, and to set myself up for success, I want to stay with trail runners. Its peace of mind for me. If something goes wrong with my feet, it will be game over.
I am firmly in the “boots brigade” and beg to differ. I have never had a blister. It is all about the fit, the sock/shoe/boots fit, and pre-Camino training to ensure it all works. I cannot tell you how many people I saw in runners whose shoes disintegrated before they finished. And, some people do in fact get it right the first time. The difference is in the prep before going.

What I have learned so far in the last 10 days, since I decided, I want to go walk the CF for the 1st time, in 5 weeks ( beginning of Oct) . I am female, 61, 50 pds overweight and not active at all and in Canada. I am ussually a size 10 female but for walking the dog, I wear a size 11 Nike mens. I have wasted a lot of time by going to outdoor adventure places first. If I can do this over, I will start by Googling "best running shoe store + insert the name of your cite here "

The outdoor adventure places I found, the staff is not so knowledgeable. The biggest running stores I visited, the staff is extremely knowledgable, they know a lot about feet and shoes and have tons of different shoes and big sizes in stock.

Now I know for next time, I will buy my socks 1st, and then the shoes. I have chosen thin Injiji toe socks as my 1st layer and second layer, I bought a pair of thin Icebreaker merino socks and Darn tough Ultra Light weight merino 1/4 socks . Both just come slightly above my ancle.

I now put on both my socks at home and wear my Teva sandals with it and hit the running shoe stores, with my 2 pairs of socks already on. When entering, the best running stores and tell them : " I am going to walk the Camino. I need trial runners, wide toe box and very comfy ( with lots of cushioning) light weight and slightly bigger shoes. "

The running store sales person tells me, too small shoes, makes blisters. Do not go for too small shoes. If in doubt, go for slightly bigger. You can always put on a thicker sock, but nothing you can do when you buy too small to begin with. Which I now believe was excellent advice.

My journey started at an adventure outdoor store near me. I should have never gone there, I wasted my time. I went home with a pair of Merrill Moab 2's. They felt good in the store, once home, they were so hard and extremely heavy. I returned those the next day. Next I went to another outdoor store, and got Altras Olympus 5 mens size 10.5. The sales person was not too knowlegable and told me, to not go with the size 11, as it will be too big. I also bought there Hoka M Tecton X ( the very orangy ones ) size 10.5. $ 225 CAD + tax. Those new Hokas are very pricey. I tried them out at home and thought, they feel small. I should have listened to myself and went for the size 11's.

By now I was discouraged. Next I googled, running shoe stores and this was a break through moment for me. First running store, the girl looked at my feet and immediately said you are a size 11 male. I knew that she was extremely knowleable right there. That store also had the thin Injiji toe socks in beautiful colors for me, to buy. I bought Hoka Speedgoats 5 size 11 men from them. The sales person also told me to walk around in the shoes, indoors, for at least 1 hour. That was very good info as well.

Next I went to the other running store in town and their great sales person, took a look at my feet in my 2 layers of socks and right away, as his 1st choice for me, brought me the New Balance Fresh Foam TRL V2 Harvest Gold Mens size 11. I was told this New Balance shoes are brand new on the market and are competing with the Hoka speedgoats. I am so far extremely impressed with the NB Fresh foam shoes. It feels like I am walking on a cloud, so cushiony ( great suspension and very roomy toe box, and so comfy. I then stopped at the adventure outdoor store ,where I was previously told to go with the size 10.5 Altra and Hokas. I picked up a size 11 mens Altra and size 11 Hoka. I currently, are the proud owner of 5 pairs of shoes. Well over a $1000 CAD just in shoes. I will walk indoors an hour with each pair and then decide which pair to keep and will return the rest.

The Altras are very nice. But they are a flat shoe, which is a strange new thing for our feet to adapt to. I was told that our feet are trained to walk with a type of shoe that is higher in the back. Most shoes have a higher heel part. Altras are so different, yet so comfy too. I asked what will happen as I am heavy, overweight and out of shape. Running store sales person told me, I can get pain and discomfort in the back part of my lower leg, as the muscles in our legs are not used to wearing the flat shoes.

I realise that my shoes and my socks are the most important decision I will have to make, before I can start my Camino in SJPP. I will forward my pack each day and walk short distances in the beginning eg 15 kms or less per day and go very slow. I am not relationship dependant and will not try and keep up with newly made friends who are fast, fit walkers.

What would you suggest I try next or any advice or tips on shoes and socks ? Any other suggestions I would gladly welcome and embrace.

Attached a picture of the brand new on the market New Balance Fresh Foam TRL V2 Mens shoes
My husband loves the NB trail runners for summer Caminos. They come in widths and he orders them online. Always has one new pair in the closet as a back up. For winter Caminos he wears Lowe Renegades. We went through a LOT of shoes looking for the perfect shoe for him, too!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had a quick look online and the female Altra Lone Peak 6 , sadly they are not available in a size 11 or 12 near me. That is possibly why I now have the mens Alta Olympus 5 in a size 11.
Count me as one more very happy Altra Lone Peak wearer — I wear the men’s Lone Peak and they are perfect for me and my very wide metatarsal. The men’s 10.5 (US) has been great for me through several iterations of Lone Peak, starting with the 3.5 or 4, I believe. I’m now up to Lone Peak 5, but I see they are up to 6. I am not sure if Canada uses US or UK sizes, but they are not the same. Don’t know about the Olympus but some have said there is more padding. I see that the promo material for Lone Peak 6 touts their enhanced protection from underfoot rocks, but I haven’t had a problem in that regard.

Once you find the right shoe, buy several pairs because the manufacturers are always ”improving” things! And I agree about not putting the sock before the shoe. Shoe first, socks are easy to adapt! Good luck, Salty.

I am firmly in the “boots brigade” and beg to differ. I have never had a blister. It is all about the fit, the sock/shoe/boots fit, and pre-Camino training to ensure it all works. I cannot tell you how many people I saw in runners whose shoes disintegrated before they finished. And, some people do in fact get it right the first time. The difference is in the prep before going.

I'm with you on that @Walkerooni . 3 Caminos so far in boots and zero blisters.

But I don't think it's boots v shoes v sandals. But more about fit and footcare.

Though I will be switching to shoes next time, just to reduce weight on my feet and knees. Arthritis.... :(

Last edited:
For any women reading this thread: We live in the Boston area where New Balance shoes are made. I was talking about shoes with a woman friend who wears 4E width shoes. She spent quite a bit of researching and from what I remember her saying was that apparently Hitchcock/Wideshoes.com has a exclusive contract with New Balance and the only place you can get women's New Balance wide (or maybe it was extra wide) shoes are with them.

Hitchcock sells several brands made with both womens' and mens' lasts.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You may want to consider that your feet are going to change when you start walking. They're going to get strong. The muscles in them are going to get bigger and stronger. Working muscles pull on the bones making them stronger and thicker. So, in all likelihood (you may not want to hear this,) your feet are going to get bigger. My feet are two sizes bigger than before I started walking. -- On the other hand, you mentioned you were overweight, so maybe loosing some of the weight while walking will change your foot size. Too many variables to forecast the future! I would plan on the possibility of buying new shoes about half way through your camino.

-- My advice about buying new shoes (or seeing how their old ones fit) is to take out the insole, stand on it, look down and see if your foot overlaps the insole. Where your foot overlaps the insole is where foot will be squashed up and rubbing against the shoe, and squashed up feet cause toes to rub up against each other. You want to be able to move all your toes to grip while you walk.

I wear Teva Kimtah hiking shoes, US mens size 8 waterproof. They work for me. Sadly, Teva no longer makes them, so I guess I'll be hunting about in a few years for a new shoe.

altreia

Last edited:
What I have learnt from this thread is how many women end up purchasing/wearing men's shoes! 😯 Something I had never even considered before.
So next time I'm due for a new pair, I've got double the number of options!
Not sure if that's a good thing.... 🤔 😆
👣 🌏

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I am similar to you and I keep checking out Winners and Costco as they get name brand for less. The rest you are doing right

Try looking at On walking shoes, they are a Swiss company, I would highly recommend them.

Dear Salty I understood that you are not trained at all and you never tried shoes over longer distances. Are you sure that shoes are your main and only problem? You are really brave and it might be that your trip ends in glory or in a disaster as nobody can tell you which shoes are the best. 5 weeks ahead of start you should walk already longer distances in shoes you feel good and comfortable. Have you ever walked with backpack of a few kilos ? The saying on the camino is "No pain, no glory" so let's see

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ok--you are definitely doing the right thing by trying different shoes. I am an overweight male and wear size 12 mens shoes. I buy expensive sneakers for my Caminos and twice I had shoes fall apart after 200 miles. And that is when you have a problem! I found it extremely difficult in Spain to find any show store with any size over mens 10. Once I replaced my shoes for the last several hundred miles of the Norte with Tevas. Once i replaced the shoes with cheap big sneakers from a "Chinese Store". On all five Caminos I wore the exact same brand and type of sneaker--3 OK; 2 fall apart. Good Luck. But I suggest a back up pair of Tevas.

Hi there. I am a woman with huge feet...12...but due to arthritis I wear a men's Altra Lone Peak 11.5. they have a wide toe box and are very easy to walk in. I also use arch supports with them.

You might try Topo shoes. Nice wide toe box. https://www.topoathletic.com/activities/go-trail
They have a wonderful trial policy, allowing you to actually use the shoes for 30 days, if they don't work out, they can be returned for refund.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Shoes and socks are so personal. I'm a 78 year old female and an ex marathon runner. I went through many pairs of shoes training for the Portuguese last May. 1 1/2 years prior to doing the Camino I settled on Altar Lone Peak 4 and 5, one size larger than what I wear. I did a lot of training but found they had the perfect toe box for me but they wore out too fast with all of the miles I was putting in. Six months prior to my Camino date I switched to Lone Peak Olympia's for women, perfect, great cushioning and a Saturday sole. I found the socks with toes took up too much room, I went back to just my double sock that I used to run in. Am so glad I switched, the many cobbles on the Portuguese would have made the Lone Peaks soles too thin for me. I, too spent much $$ trying different shoes, it pays off if you do diligence in finding the perfect shoe. Each night (I averaged 15/16 miles per day) I was so thankful for my feet for not having major foot issues. Good luck.

Just a quick note - I've used Hoka Stinson ATRs for three Caminos. They have a wide toe box and are incredibly comfortable. The latest version 6 is super cushy. The thick soles also help keep your feet dry in mud or rain!

Buen Camino!

Lone Peaks are nice and wide as are the Olympus. The Olympus has amazing cushion which is great for the harder surfaces. The zero drop thing with Altras is only an issue if you generally wear shoes that have a raised heel and your calf muscles (and associated tendons) have shortened. This can be remedied with some highly concentrated stretching time prior to your Camino. I recommend stretching beforehand anyway as you want to give your body as much ‘slack’ as possible to compensate for the day in and day out walking.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I am also an older woman with big feet. Try mens la sportiva trail runners. After two caminos in Merrill hiking boots And feet issues I found these with help of a clerk at REI. Give these a try. They have saved my feet!

My feet are about the same size as yours, wide and deep in the toe area but narrow in the heel. Of the many shoes I've tried for walking/hiking only two fit well, the New Balance 990 and North Face Ultra 110, both mens' (I'm a man, ~ 200lb). Though they're very different designs they both fit and support my feet well and are comfortable for miles of hiking both on the flats and on hilly trails. The New Balance is softer and, unfortunately, not durable, I've had at least 4 pair - each started coming apart quickly and and were completely worn out within a few hundred miles at most. However, while they lasted both traction and all around comfort were excellent. The North Face is a much sturdier shoe with a firmer sole with deeper lugs which protects against uneven surfaces and pointy rocks much better, and has excellent grip, they even do well on wet rocks. The uppers hold together well and the soles must last at least 4x the distance of the New Balance. I buy 3-4 pair at a time and rotate daily so they can air out. Other shoes from a manufacturer that are built on the same last as one you like also are likely to fit.

As for shopping - a good sales person can listen to your needs and help you zero in on good candidates quickly. They also can guide your through the fitting process, however they can't tell how they feel on your feet. Only you will know what's comfortable, where they pinch, where they rub, whether you like the feel when you walk, etc. The labeled size means little across brands and lasts - I take Eu 43 in some brands, 45 in others. New shoe insoles usually aren't very good, so consider one of the many aftermarket insoles or even a custom pair. Again, designs vary widely and you must evaluate them yourself. If you prefer a certain model insole, substitute it for the OEM insoles when shoe shopping.

Hi Salty - this is a very interesting and helpful thread. Thank you for starting it.

Once I read all the posts I flipped over to a similar thread and happened to see @dreaming ’s post from last month. She wore mens wide-fitting shoes and also wrote that she found having trekking poles really important - particularly for the descents. She bought the poles at the start. If you don’t have trekking poles yet you might want to consider them. They’re lifesavers for me too and they’re an essential part of of my kit, as are mens trail runners for my feet - La Sportiva Helios at the moment.

Have a wonderful camino and have joy every day -

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wore Altra Olympus for this year’s Camino. No blisters. No problem getting used to zero drop. Best walking shoes I’ve ever had (first 3 Camino’s were in Keens)

So, Im in the wide feet crowd.. but wide feet are all different, still.

Many women have a wide toe box ...but more specifically, in my case, the widest parts are below the toe webbing, just across the foot from bunions if you've got them. This feature means I'm really careful in picking my Hokas, as their toe box often narrows down too quickly. You'll feel it if it does; return the shoe if you feel any side squeezing at all in that area. It won't break in before it hurts you.

Next, many wide-footed women also have a relatively narrow heel. I reject many shoes, including most New Balances (sadly) because I cannot lace them enough to prevent heel slip. Again, return the shoe if, even with lacing, your heel slips as you walk. Your avoided blisters will thank you.

As always, make sure your toes are not rubbing against the front of the shoe on a downward slope. Unlike running stores, hiking stores often have a small ramp to check this. Again, if the shoe rubs even with lacing tricks, return it. Your toenails will thank you.

Now, on to something not mentioned in detail. A good running store will also check your arches. You *may* need arch supports. Because you haven't had the opportunity to train, you may not know this. But, if you have either high arches, flat feet, or you've injured one of yours ( guilty...rolled over a rock), you may need an insert *that's wide enough for your shoes.* I have a fascinating corn/callus pattern on one foot where that wasn't the case.

I don't do zero drop shoes at all ( reference arches and my occasional jogging habit) so cannot comment.

Walk with the shoes, outdoors, on both tarmack/ asphalt and on gravel/sand/grass/ whatever you have. Return, return, return any that don't feel good.

Buen Camino

Thank you everyone, for your very supportive advice here. I have learned a few things already on this thread. Very insightful.

After testing the 4 different wide trial runners shoe types here at home, extensively, between the Altra Olympus 5 ( a bit greenish in color) , the Hoka M Tectron ( very orange shoes ) , the Hoka Speedgoat 5 ( blueish in color) and the New Balance Fresh Foam TRL Wide ( very yellow) ,

the winner by an overwhelming majority, is .... The New Balance Fresh Foam's !

I have done 17 K in them yesterday and the day before that, 7 K and my feet feels fantastic. With the other shoes , the ball of my feet starts to get hot and a burning uncomfortable sensation, lingers for a long time, after I took those Hokas and the Ultras off.
From what I have read, the NB Fresh Foams, might not be lasting as long as eg a Merrill Moab2 ( which was super hard and totally unwalkable for me for a Camino, when testing them at home ) but the sheer comfort of the Fresh Foam technology, is worth its value in gold. This is the BEST, most comfy, walking shoes, I have ever come across, due to the foamy parts on the bottom. I feel like an astronaut flying through space, as I walk. A true game changer in the trail runner line up, to choose from.

Where I live, the NB Fresh Foams as scarce, I only found them at the 5th store I visited, the sales person told me, they are flying off the rack as soon as they get them in stock. And New Balance started to make them to compete with the very popular Hoka Speedgoats 5.
From my 1st hand experience, between the Speedgoat and Fresh Foam, if you have a very wide foot, the Fresh Foams are wider and much more softer on my knees and joints. I go for superior comfort, I am not going to walk my Camino, looking for pain and discomfort and to be miserable. So only the best of the best, and taking my time to choose wisely is the way to go.

I have also learned very quickly how to walk with walking poles. I am now the allusive 4 legged human, walking the streets of my neighberhood.

Huge difference also in the comfort between different hiking poles, I found out. At the very 1st outdoor store I popped in, I bought, slide in, cork handles, poles - Gaben Cork Carbon FL for about $90 CAD + 5% tax. It was my 1st experience with walking poles, they were whobbly and not too sturdy. After 3 walks, the metal tip, started to come through the plastic protectors on one of them, and I gave them back.

I then found, foldable in 3 sections, extremely light weight, Komperdell $ 149 + tax, walking poles at a running store. What a huge difference in performance !!

The Komperdell's are fantastic. I use them all the time. I soon will have the most beautiful upper arms, no more flabby. Those poles are a life saver going down steep inclines and also up the steep hills, and I walk with them on the flat ground, all the time. I watched a few You Tube video's on how to properly use walking poles. I am now all set with shoes and poles and shoes. I love the NB Fresh Foam's so much, I am going to buy a spare pair.

My feet and knees feels fantastic. I am going to walk at least 15 kms now every day, a third of it, on steep up and down, gravel back alleys, walking distance from my home. My Camino is 3 weeks from now.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you everyone, for your very supportive advice here. I have learned a few things already on this thread. Very insightful.

After testing the 4 different wide trial runners shoe types here at home, extensively, between the Altra Olympus 5 ( a bit greenish in color) , the Hoka M Tectron ( very orange shoes ) , the Hoka Speedgoat 5 ( blueish in color) and the New Balance Fresh Foam TRL Wide ( very yellow) ,

I have done 17 K in them yesterday and the day before that, 7 K and my feet feels fantastic. With the other shoes , the ball of my feet starts to get hot and a burning uncomfortable sensation, lingers for a long time, after I took those Hokas and the Ultras off.
From what I have read, the NB Fresh Foams, might not be lasting as long as eg a Merrill Moab2 ( which was super hard and totally unwalkable for me for a Camino, when testing them at home ) but the sheer comfort of the Fresh Foam technology, is worth its value in gold. This is the BEST, most comfy, walking shoes, I have ever come across, due to the foamy parts on the bottom. I feel like an astronaut flying through space, as I walk. A true game changer in the trail runner line up, to choose from.

Where I live, the NB Fresh Foams as scarce, I only found them at the 5th store I visited, the sales person told me, they are flying off the rack as soon as they get them in stock. And New Balance started to make them to compete with the very popular Hoka Speedgoats 5.
From my 1st hand experience, between the Speedgoat and Fresh Foam, if you have a very wide foot, the Fresh Foams are wider and much more softer on my knees and joints. I go for superior comfort, I am not going to walk my Camino, looking for pain and discomfort and to be miserable. So only the best of the best, and taking my time to choose wisely is the way to go.

I have also learned very quickly how to walk with walking poles. I am now the allusive 4 legged human, walking the streets of my neighberhood.

Huge difference also in the comfort between different hiking poles, I found out. At the very 1st outdoor store I popped in, I bought, slide in, cork handles, poles - Gaben Cork Carbon FL for about $90 CAD + 5% tax. It was my 1st experience with walking poles, they were whobbly and not too sturdy. After 3 walks, the metal tip, started to come through the plastic protectors on one of them, and I gave them back.

I then found, foldable in 3 sections, extremely light weight, Komperdell $ 149 + tax, walking poles at a running store. What a huge difference in performance !!

The Komperdell's are fantastic. I use them all the time. I soon will have the most beautiful upper arms, no more flabby. Those poles are a life saver going down steep inclines and also up the steep hills, and I walk with them on the flat ground, all the time. I watched a few You Tube video's on how to properly use walking poles. I am now all set with shoes and poles and shoes. I love the NB Fresh Foam's so much, I am going to buy a spare pair.

My feet and knees feels fantastic. I am going to walk at least 15 kms now every day, a third of it, on steep up and down, gravel back alleys, walking distance from my home. My Camino is 3 weeks from now.
Glad you found a solution. Suggest you record the size and model and, if you continue to like them, consider ordering several pr. at a time, sufficient to last a year or two, so you always can be wearing a pair that has aired out thoroughly, avoiding internal mildew, etc. But don't get too large a supply as bonded shoes also have a shelf life. This also will give you some time to search for replacements should they be discontinued.

Glad you found a solution. Suggest you record the size and model and, if you continue to like them, consider ordering several pr. at a time, sufficient to last a year or two, so you always can be wearing a pair that has aired out thoroughly, avoiding internal mildew, etc. But don't get too large a supply as bonded shoes also have a shelf life. This also will give you some time to search for replacements should they be discontinued.
Yes I am going tomorrow to buy another pair, If they still have some. And my hubbie is so impressed, he wants a pair for himself, to wear to the office, ( they are bright yellow ) in a size 12 mens.

Suggest you record the size and model and, if you continue to like them, consider ordering several pr. at a time, sufficient to last a year or two
My treasured shoes are New Balance Fresh Foam Mores, which come in a women's wide. (I can't wear men's shoes because my foot is too small - i.e. 6.5 Mens.) It is not very durable, though, so I have 3 new pairs lined up in the closet.
I am going to walk at least 15 kms now every day, a third of it, on steep up and down, gravel back alleys, walking distance from my home. My Camino is 3 weeks from now.
Very serious advice coming up!... Be careful not to overdo your training. At 3 weeks before a Camino, I would be thinking of easing off soon, to avoid injury, especially since you say you have not been very active. Better to keep up a moderate level of training - maybe 15 km every second day. to give your body a day to heal in between. But it would be useful to do 2 or 3 days in a row of 15-20 km, with your backpack and all the same gear you plan to walk in. You will be surprised to discover little things that annoy you and you can change them more easily at home. If you find a blister-prone area, you have time to let those fledgling blisters heal and also practice treating them! This is a good opportunity to test which sock combination works best.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hello Salty,
I come from Australia have completed the French Camino & heading back 2024. I love walking and have been a walker for many years.
I have a wide foot and generally size 10 Women's shoes. However, for all my walking/trekking I wear size 11 Men's KEEN shoes. They may feel loose however you always tie up laces tightly which holds your feet in place while your toes sit comfortably within the shoe & are not squashed at all. I was told when I started walking years ago that it was very important for your toes to have movement when going up & down steep ranges and they should never touch the top of the shoe. I have never had blisters, hot spots or sore feet. I have KEEN's sandles, shoes & boots, predominately I wear my shoes.
I only ever wear one pair of socks generally merino woollen socks & change them daily. I mix the socks up I have thick & moderate range.
All the best, Remember to enjoy your own journey. You will meet many fabulous people, see stunning scenery, eat beautiful food have wonderful times with many other pilgrims and go back home with the most amazing experiences.
Buen Camino

-- My advice about buying new shoes (or seeing how their old ones fit) is to take out the insole, stand on it, look down and see if your foot overlaps the insole. Where your foot overlaps the insole is where foot will be squashed up and rubbing against the shoe, and squashed up feet cause toes to rub up against each other. You want to be able to move all your toes to grip while you walk.
That is just genius! Best tip ever! Thank you!!!!

€83,-
There is no perfect shoe! Buy something and start walking. If you have problems, try to correct them or try a different shoe. Your time is better spent training than in shoe stores.

-Paul

Last edited:

Try Asics Gel if you can get them in Canada. They are the most cushioned and comfortable trainer type shoes I've ever worn and if its dry I much prefer them to hiking boots. They come in different ranges. I've tried a few and all are good but Saga are the best if you can find them.

Keens Targhee are a wide shoe. They make for men and women. Love mine.

€83,-

I am a very experienced Camino walker - Frances 2006, St Olaf 2008, Via de la Plata 2010, Portuguese 2012 and this year 2022 Ingles, I wear a size 11 Keens boot - wide toe box, 1 kg for 2 boots, very comfy. Bought in Australia but avalailabvle world wide. Very happy with my boots. Also shoes avaliable and 1/2 boots

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.