• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ferrino raincoat.

Stephen

Time of past OR future Camino
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
I've a Ferrino raincoat that I've carried in my pack more often than worn on various Caminos.
Back home I wore in in a thunderstorm and ended up absolutely soaked.
The seams are stitched and, I guess, would probably be glued first. Could this adhesive have perished and be letting the rain in? If so, how best to repair it?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The simple answer is 'yes', the seam sealing product can and does fail with age and use. Ferrino uses a seam sealing tape which is applied under heat pressure. This seals out leaks from the holes in the nylon, created when sewing the product together.

There are two methods to do a self repair of failed seam sealing. Both methods work, although using the liquid or gel form of a seam sealant is faster and easier (at least for me). The liquid sealants also seem to last longer.

If I can be of any additional help, feel free to send me a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've a Ferrino raincoat that I've carried in my pack more often than worn on various Caminos.
Back home I wore in in a thunderstorm and ended up absolutely soaked.
The seams are stitched and, I guess, would probably be glued first. Could this adhesive have perished and be letting the rain in? If so, how best to repair it?

I have a Ferrino trekker (design kind of like the altus), which I used on one camino only. It was when I walked the Levante and thankfully there were only two days of rain. I started to sweat within about five minutes of putting it on. What I learned later was that it has a metallic lining, whose function is to prevent hypothermia. That is definitely NOT a problem on the Camino Levante.

Maybe your Ferrino is different, but if you have a metallic lining it may be that the inside moisture was sweat not leakage.

My coat does have the metallic lining and that may be the problem, making me sweat, rather than leaks.
The next time it rains, and that shouldn't be too long here in Belfast, I'll go out and stand in the garden. I'll look a bit of an eejit but if I'm still dry after 10 minutes I'll know that the coat isn't the best model for Camino walking.

The remedy for condensation is ventilation.

I believe I've written about this before, but here's a short refresher:
  • If you can, leave the neck open and carry something on your chest to keep the raiment away from your body (I use my hat on a small clip/carabiner, but a water bottle or camera pouch may work as well). This creates a chimney effect.
  • If you can aviod it, don't use the front zipper. This allows for ventilation between the Velcro strips.
  • Use some kind of hat beneath the hood. The brim will allow for some ventilation and will keep the hood from flapping into your face.
  • If you can, keep the cuffs on the sleeves open. That allows for some ventilation.
I use my Ferrino Trekker with an umbrella/portable sunshade, which most of the time allows me to walk with the hood down and with the chest open.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I also have the Ferrino trekker and it's always a toss up whether I get wet from the rain or wetter from the sweat. But, that said, I do love to have it in the chilly rain that comes up. That metal lining does keep you nice and toasty. There just isn't one covering that suits all conditions.

I also have the Ferrino trekker and it's always a toss up whether I get wet from the rain or wetter from the sweat. But, that said, I do love to have it in the chilly rain that comes up. That metal lining does keep you nice and toasty. There just isn't one covering that suits all conditions.

I was told by an avid thru hiker in the US that for them, getting wet in warm weather is not something they worry about. They simply just drip dry. So they don’t take ponchos or other rain gear for that specific purpose. It’s the hypothermia that could end things, so as you say, this Ferrino is perfect for that, keeping you toasty! And I have one I would be happy to send to someone in the US in exchange for a donation to Rebekah’s Peaceable Projects.

Buen camino, Laurie

I took a Ferrino Trekker on my first Camino four years ago and can still feel the sensation of pulling it off, the sleeves dragging along my bare arms (I was wearing a t-shirt) and that cold, wet feeling makes me shudder to this day! Revolting! I would hang it up to dry inside-out, as the inside took longer to dry than the outside. I tried leaving it open and loose at the cuffs, but these were not loose enough to allow the breeze to go up my arms. And we were really lucky with rain on that Camino - only a handful of showers the whole way. I can see it would certainly be very helpful in preventing hypothermia, but was not very good for keeping me dry in light rain. Since then I've used a Sea-to-Summit tarp poncho, which despite the open-ish sides has been quite effective in keeping the worst of the rain off me, apart from wet forearms which don't matter in warmer weather when I'm in short sleeves. Easier to throw on and off, too.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.