• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ferrol to A Coruna to Santiago?

Scott the Trekker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Finisterre/Muxia (2016)
Camino Frances (2018)
Camino Ingles (2020)
Has anyone walked from Ferrol to A Coruna and then on to Santiago? My wife is from A Coruna and I'd like to walk from Ferrol to A Coruna and then go on to Santiago when we do the Camino Ingles. I know it's possible to walk from Ferrol to A Coruna, but wondered if anyone else has done it. I know it's not an "official" route, but I'd love to be able to include A Coruna in our route.

Thanks!!
Scott

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One way to accomplish this would be to walk from Ferrol along the camino until Hospital de Bruma, then go off camino 2km to the bus stop in Meson do Vento and take the bus to Coruña then walk again from there. Doing it that way, you'd be on the "official" route the entire time (well, except the diversion to Meson do Vento), and experience the entire English route.

To walk directly from Ferrol to Coruña would mean walking along the camino until just after Miño, then cutting across on the Puente de O Pedrido then making your way through Oleiros, which doesn't have any actual 'route' to follow, so might be a challenge. There would be local city buses in the area as an option (rome2rio.com will help figure that out if you wanted to).

The only issue is that doing either of these would mean your 'official' starting point would be Coruña, which doesn't qualify for a Compostela, if that's important to either of you. (Recent changes to the Compostela rules say that people who live in Coruña can qualify for a Compostela, but I don't have the impression that you guys live there.)

How lucky to be from A Coruña! It's my favorite city in Galicia! Buen Camino to you guys!

I'm pretty sure the rules changed last year and walking from A Coruna to SdC does now qualify for a Compostela...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm pretty sure the rules changed last year and walking from A Coruna to SdC does now qualify for a Compostela...
Not quite as I understand it. I believe that locals from A Coruña qualify if they walk from home. A sensible recognition that it would be nonsense to make those actually living on a historic route travel some distance from home in order to begin a pilgrimage. Those from further afield need to prove they have walked 25km+ in their home country prior to walking from A Coruña. An idea the Irish in particular seem to have seized upon with the notion of a Celtic Camino :)

Why not start in A Coruña and then from Bruma go to Ferrol and then walk from Ferrol to Santiago. That way you are sure of your Compostelas.
If you have sellos from Ferrol to Bruma and also Bruma to Santiago I would think that you could give your start as Ferrol even if the A Coruña section comes in between. Hopefully @JohnnieWalker might see this and comment, or some-one who has been a recent volunteer in the Pilgrims' Office

Yes, I think as long as we start from Ferrol, even if we detour to A Coruna, we'll be able to get Compostellas. We will have walked more than 100km and we will have walked the entire distance from Ferrol to Santiago, just with an added detour to A Coruna.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, I think as long as we start from Ferrol, even if we detour to A Coruna, we'll be able to get Compostellas. We will have walked more than 100km and we will have walked the entire distance from Ferrol to Santiago, just with an added detour to A Coruna.
My understanding is 1. A Coruña to SDC...too short ( except for A Coruña residents).
2. Ferrol To SDC good to go. 3. Ferrol To A Coruña To SDC is more than enough for a Compostela.

Has anyone walked from Ferrol to A Coruna and then on to Santiago? My wife is from A Coruna and I'd like to walk from Ferrol to A Coruna and then go on to Santiago when we do the Camino Ingles. I know it's possible to walk from Ferrol to A Coruna, but wondered if anyone else has done it. I know it's not an "official" route, but I'd love to be able to include A Coruna in our route.

Thanks!!
Scott
Hi Scott - Unless it's just that you want to walk there, we flew from USA to Madrid to A Coruna and spent a day there seeing the sites. The next day we took a bus to Ferrol, walked to the tourist office and started from there. Buen Camino, Kathi

Hi Kathi,
We'd like to from A Coruna and Ferrol. This option allows us to walk both versons of the Ingles and only add an extra couple of days. By cutting over to A Coruna from Betanzos or Bruma, we only add about 20km (or less), which we can easily do in a day. This will allow us to experience both versions of the Ingles in a reasonable time, do it from A Coruna (my wife's home town), and get a Compostella by starting in Ferrol. At least, that's the plan...

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Hi Scott - Unless it's just that you want to walk there, we flew from USA to Madrid to A Coruna and spent a day there seeing the sites. The next day we took a bus to Ferrol, walked to the tourist office and started from there. Buen Camino, Kathi

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! Im walking the Camino Ingles starting from Ferrol on the 8th May, arriving in SdC on the 14th (and staying til the 17th :) ) Ive not walked a camino before, nor have I ever really done any...
Hi! would arrive by train from Madrid at 23:22 at Ferrol station and from there heading to the parador ferrol (solo female traveler). Is taxi widely available? should i arrange the parador to send...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back