• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ferrol to Pontedeume

Susan B Johnson

PuraVida
Time of past OR future Camino
June (2016)
Hello!

Next week I start my Camino! The first leg of the Camino is 18 miles, Ferrol to Pontedeume. I have the option of a taxi transfer the first 6 miles, which means my first day will be 12. I already am able to hike 10 miles in under 3 hours, so I wonder if hiking 12 that first day will not be much of a challenge. On the other hand, if the terrain is rough, perhaps it will be just right. I don't want to over-do it the first day out by hiking all 18.

I'm in good shape. I take about 3 strength and/or cardio classes at the gym each week. On my off days I bike or use the elliptical machine. I often bike 20+ miles.

Should I attempt 18 miles on the first day or take the 6 mile transfer at the beginning of the day?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom gained through your camino experience.

Susan

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you can walk 10 miles in 3 hours you will probably be fine to walk 18 if you give yourself enough time and set a moderate pace.

If you decide to go a shorter day, consider walking and taking a right at the FE-14 bridge into Fene. It cuts about 9k off and the overall trip is still plenty far to get a Compostela. That will save you a taxi!

Hello Susan,
Firstly, I haven't walked the Ingles yet but will in August, so I personally don't know what the terrain is like between Ferrol and Pontedeume.

The Gronze site and other guides show a profile for that stage which is fairly level for the first 20km or so with some what appears to be "not too bad" hilly walking for the final 10km.

Maybe you have already answered your own question;) given that you have a doubt about overdoing it, which is normal and very understandable. That said, your 10 miles (16km) in under 3 hours is pretty good going with a back pack and a lot of people would perhaps say a little to fast:eek:.

Your thought about a taxi is a sound one. I just wondered if you had considered;

(A) trusting yourself and slowing down and walking the whole stretch at a more leisurely pace with frequent rests or,
(B) getting your taxi for the last 10 km or so from Fene, if you felt you needed it when you got there.

That said, you know yourself better than anyone else, so maybe your gut reaction of a taxi to start with is the correct choice for you.

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The terrain is not especially difficult on that section. As I recall there is one long but not especially steep uphill climb to the industrial zone south of Fene, with a similar gentle slope down to Pontedeume. For the rest it is short and moderate ups and downs around the inlet and through Neda. The paths are good.

If you want to shorten your first day there is also the possibility of walking across the road bridge to Fene and so avoid the walk around the inlet past the Neda albergue. I have not walked over the bridge myself but there is a footpath alongside the roadway so it should be safe enough.

Hola - I'm currently walking the Camino Ingles to update the guidebook. I will have a new edition ready shortly. In this edition I will include the alternative route which for sometime has been controversial. Pilgrims going to the Albergue at Neda or who wish to walk via Neda for food or accommodation should follow the waymarked route. The distance from Ferrol to Neda Albergue is 14 kms and a further 15kms to Pontedeume.

Those who wish to take the alternative route should turn Right at the church of San Julian de Xubia and follow the road slightly downhill. Shortly follow the path off to the Left which soon leads to a walk way which runs beneath and to the side of the railway line. This is perfectly safe, well constructed and frequently used by locals. Follow the walkway with excellent views of the estuary for just over 1km and come out at Neda railway station. Just before the station turn Left and the first Right to rejoin the waymarked route.

The distance between Ferrol and Pontedeume using the alternative route is 23kms.

Buen Camino

John

John,

Any chance you are making GPS tracks for the route, especially the first and last days when apparently markings are a bit scarce?

Also, please check on the availability of blankets in the alburgues. We're walking October, and if they are not available, we'll have to carry sleeping bags.

Thanks,

Jo Jo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola Jojo - for Gps tracks our own Dougfitz and Miguel are the experts. I think both have posted the information. I can't search further right now.

Please don't be concerned about finding the way - the route is well waymarked and the yellow arrows have been refreshed. In terms of the first and last days - these are very straightforward and the guide gives all the directions you need.

I wouldn't rely on blankets in Albergues on the Inglés in October. I'd advise taking a sleeping bag.

John

Hello!

Next week I start my Camino! The first leg of the Camino is 18 miles, Ferrol to Pontedeume. I have the option of a taxi transfer the first 6 miles, which means my first day will be 12. I already am able to hike 10 miles in under 3 hours, so I wonder if hiking 12 that first day will not be much of a challenge. On the other hand, if the terrain is rough, perhaps it will be just right. I don't want to over-do it the first day out by hiking all 18.

I'm in good shape. I take about 3 strength and/or cardio classes at the gym each week. On my off days I bike or use the elliptical machine. I often bike 20+ miles.

Should I attempt 18 miles on the first day or take the 6 mile transfer at the beginning of the day?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom gained through your camino experience.

Susan

When do you set off? - we are starting on 12 Jun and thinking of starting from Neda if we have a late start - so will be in Pontedueme on the 12th in the evening. New Camino for us, but we have done some walking on the Frances. Trust it goes well for you

John

(B) getting your taxi for the last 10 km or so from Fene, if you felt you needed it when you got there.
A warning here - if you take a taxi within the 100kms distance from Santiago you will disqualify yourself for the Compostela, unless the rules have just changed. Taking a taxi to Neda would be OK.
If arriving in time in Ferrol some folk start from the habour and either walk into town to their accomodation and then can start from there next morning, or walk to NarĂłn/Neda and stop there for the night, then to Pontedeume next day. That worked for us.
Buen Camino to you all

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A warning here - if you take a taxi within the 100kms distance from Santiago you will disqualify yourself for the Compostela, unless the rules have just changed. Taking a taxi to Neda would be OK.
If arriving in time in Ferrol some folk start from the habour and either walk into town to their accomodation and then can start from there next morning, or walk to NarĂłn/Neda and stop there for the night, then to Pontedeume next day. That worked for us.
Buen Camino to you all

Oh!:eek: I forgot about the compostela.

Hola - I'm currently walking the Camino Ingles to update the guidebook. I will have a new edition ready shortly. In this edition I will include the alternative route which for sometime has been controversial. Pilgrims going to the Albergue at Neda or who wish to walk via Neda for food or accommodation should follow the waymarked route. The distance from Ferrol to Neda Albergue is 14 kms and a further 15kms to Pontedeume.

Those who wish to take the alternative route should turn Right at the church of San Julian de Xubia and follow the road slightly downhill. Shortly follow the path off to the Left which soon leads to a walk way which runs beneath and to the side of the railway line. This is perfectly safe, well constructed and frequently used by locals. Follow the walkway with excellent views of the estuary for just over 1km and come out at Neda railway station. Just before the station turn Left and the first Right to rejoin the waymarked route.

The distance between Ferrol and Pontedeume using the alternative route is 23kms.

Buen Camino

John
When do you set off? - we are starting on 12 Jun and thinking of starting from Neda if we have a late start - so will be in Pontedueme on the 12th in the evening. New Camino for us, but we have done some walking on the Frances. Trust it goes well for you

I will just miss you, as I don't start until June 14th.

John

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
John,

Any chance you are making GPS tracks for the route, especially the first and last days when apparently markings are a bit scarce?

Also, please check on the availability of blankets in the alburgues. We're walking October, and if they are not available, we'll have to carry sleeping bags.

Thanks,

Jo Jo
Hi Jo Jo,

As Johnnie says waymarking has always been pretty good on the Ingles but I can provide you with kml files of the route. I am walking the route in a couple of weeks time so will update them with any changes and then post you some links at the end of June.

Hi Susan, I agree with Bradyplus that the terrain on the first stage to Pontedeume isn't particularly taxing so with the fitness regime and level you describe I'm sure you will be fine.

Buen Camino for whatever you decide.

John Deagle to Johnnie Walker - you may well catch up up we wont be fast, and we plan to be in Santiago Friday f you are around

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We did the Ingles last June and walked to Neda for the first stage. Then Neda to Pontedeume. I thought at the time, walking it in one stage would certainly have been doable. A few small slopes, that are longer than steep, but mostly level. We stopped at the beach just before entering Pontedeume (Cabanas Beach) for a lovely lunch and even went back after dinner that evening to dip our toes in the water! With an early start, given even a moderate pace, you should be able to make it in one stage and have a little time to relax at the beach!

Buen Camino

John

We intend to start our Camino on the 23 June. I noticed that you mentioned in this post that you would have a new edition of your guide available shortly. Is it available now?

Peter

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back