• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ferrol to Santiago route change??

MauriceC

Time of past OR future Camino
Finisterre
Ingles
I've heard whispers that the route has been changed on the Camino Ingles from Ferrol to Santiago. Does anyone know anything about this? have any links or factual info? I'm walking the route September and would like the latest news on this thanks in advance for any help.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes - in the last two weeks there have been one or two re-routings - most significantly at Leiro before Hospital de Bruma. There is still an elevation but more gentle through forest paths and the stage is shorter! Betanzos to Bruma is now 25.5 kms. The CSJ will release a new edition of the Guide in a few days which includes the changes and more accommodation has opened which is also noted.
However as has been said the route is generally very well waymarked.
Please note the the Camino Inglés has been very busy with full Albergues most night. Yesterday the hospitalera at Bruma said that for some time they gave been full by 1pm each day.

Buen Camino

John

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In Pontedeume the albergue gets full very quickly and they have no sports hall which you can sleep in. In Bruma they do have a sports hall but it is a couple of km past the village.

In August on the Ingles do not expect to turn up at 4pm anywhere and get a bed. Allowing more time and walking shorter stages is the perfect solution. I did this and enjoyed it a lot.

You can swim at Pontedeume beach, and there are public outdoor pools in Betanzos, Siguerio and in Santiago.

Hola

The Albergues remain the same:

Neda
Pontedeume
Miño
Betanzos
Presedo
Bruma
Sigueiro - a range of private Albergues

Other Hostal and Hotel accommodation along the way.
What would be your opinion on Albergues being full late Sept, early Oct???

AjD

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Many thanks for allowing me to join. My wife Sarah and I are starting at Ferrol on 14th September.
We have the Camino Ingles 2016 edition by Johnnie Walker (bought from CSJ) and have used it for our planning. We now have concerns about the re-routing. Is it possible for Mr Walker to give a page and paragraph reference in the 2016 edition where the change is so we can make a note and ensure we take the new route. I doubt we will get the new edition before we leave the UK.
Also for information we are staying at Hostal Meson Novo and Antonio is picking us up at Bar Julia. Does the new route still go past Bar Julia? Having made arrangements with Antonio for the pick up he no longer does the pick up and drop back next day for only 1 night. Having dropped us off where he picked us up, Bar Julia we then carry on walking for the day. We are looking to go as far as A Rua. We will then phone Antonio who will come and pick us up and we stay another night at Hostal Meson Novo (40 euros a night). Antonio will then take us back to where he collected us from. He explained that he then gets 2 nights business.

Hi Cruisecampo - I've sent you a Private Message. The new route doesn't go via the Bar Julia but it is very well signposted. If you contact Antonio he will pick you up in Leiro.

Buen Camino

John

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's a 15 minute drive from Meson Novo to Casa Julia, a 30 minute round trip, so the policy is understandable. The new route has been in place for several weeks now, so Antonio will know where it goes to advise you of the new pick-up point. From all reports the changes to the route are well marked.

Edit: I see Johnnie himself has contacted you - you should be all set! Buen Camino!!

With the recent changes the route from Betanzos to both the albergue in Bruma and the hotels in Meson do Vento is now 25.5 kms. With the re-routing and upgrading of paths and signage the Camino Ingles is now an all weather route in my view. I suspect in future that less pilgrims will want to use Antonio's car service but that there will be considerably more pilgrims!

Can't wait to start, and look forward to seeing these new routes...

AjD

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We will be on the route starting September 26, looks like the Hostal Meson Novo is booked any suggestions?

We also had a problem contacting the Hostal, Booking.Com and other sites had no rooms left. We then telephoned Antonio and communicated by email (google translate) and he had rooms available. Email is mesonnovo@mesonnovo.com
Your right Antonio responded and we have rooms.

Thanx

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Many thanks for allowing me to join. My wife Sarah and I are starting at Ferrol on 14th September.
We have the Camino Ingles 2016 edition by Johnnie Walker (bought from CSJ) and have used it for our planning. We now have concerns about the re-routing. Is it possible for Mr Walker to give a page and paragraph reference in the 2016 edition where the change is so we can make a note and ensure we take the new route. I doubt we will get the new edition before we leave the UK.
Also for information we are staying at Hostal Meson Novo and Antonio is picking us up at Bar Julia. Does the new route still go past Bar Julia? Having made arrangements with Antonio for the pick up he no longer does the pick up and drop back next day for only 1 night. Having dropped us off where he picked us up, Bar Julia we then carry on walking for the day. We are looking to go as far as A Rua. We will then phone Antonio who will come and pick us up and we stay another night at Hostal Meson Novo (40 euros a night). Antonio will then take us back to where he collected us from. He explained that he then gets 2 nights business.
We will be doing the same stop at Meson Novo at the end of Sept could you fill us in on how it worked. Also any hints along the way would be appreciated.

Last edited:
We will be doing the same stop at Meson Novo at the end of Sept could you fill us in on how it worked. Also any hints along the way would be appreciated.
Because we had booked with Antonio for 2 nights before the route change we decided it was only fair to honour the booking. We therefore walked from Betanzos to Meson do Vento and Pension O Meson Novo. The new route had a 6km gradual climb, quite strenuous but ok. The new route involves a walk alongside the N550 for some distance, not good. Antonio was excellent, good accommodation and food. Very easy to rejoin route next day. Be aware after this the route is sometimes only marked by two small posts with red tops where the new waymarks will be placed. If you have any other questions just ask. Trevor

An update on the waymarkings after the Café-Bar O Cruciero - today when I walked that section, there are very good markings all the way to Sigüeiro with fluorescent pink wooden arrows and laminated signs showing the shell and directional arrow. (See attached photo - lower left & upper right.) In some places you can see where the granite marker will go - its "bed" has already been dug.

Coming into Sigüeiro is a little more challenging. And once you're passing the pool, the markers are embedded in the walkway.

Attachments

• IMG_9593.JPG
    IMG_9593.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So good to know, @OTH86 ! If I'd seen the pink fluorescent signs without any other written information I wouldn't have known to follow them. In fact, I would've been a bit suspicious! But good to know that they do point the way to Santiago :).

Most read last week in this forum

On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...
Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back