• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ferry between Caminha and a Guarda

Camembert

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
from the INFO MIÑO website today I received the following message concerning the ferry between Caminha and a Guarda.

" Since 29th April 2014 the Ferry boat is not working, due to a trouble in the navigation channel in the Río Miño, it needs to be dredged and right now there´s not agreement between Spanish and Portugal governments.
It was expected to sail again soon, but certainly I think we´ll have to wait for a while."

So far this update

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
from the INFO MIÑO website today I received the following message concerning the ferry between Caminha and a Guarda.

" Since 29th April 2014 the Ferry boat is not working, due to a trouble in the navigation channel in the Río Miño, it needs to be dredged and right now there´s not agreement between Spanish and Portugal governments.
It was expected to sail again soon, but certainly I think we´ll have to wait for a while."

So far this update
Thanks, @Albertinho, for keeping us posted on developments (or rather, lack of them ;))

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Great news! Thnx for the update!

I just read a blog post from last week, where the pilgrim had to walk along the river to reach the next bridge. 20+ km extra hurt if they are not towards Santiago ;-)

Good to know the boat will be back.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is de ferry in april 2016 sailing?

Yes.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-04-15 17.01.51.png
    Screenshot 2016-04-15 17.01.51.png
    575.2 KB · Views: 37
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Everyone. Do you have any news of the Caminha - A Guarda ferry sailings for June 2016. We have the phone numbers of two alternative accredited ferry men just in case, but would of course prefer the main ferry. Many thanks. Sheena

@Sheena
If you look at my previous posting and click on the screenshot - you will see a time table valid in June 2016.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Everyone. Do you have any news of the Caminha - A Guarda ferry sailings for June 2016. We have the phone numbers of two alternative accredited ferry men just in case, but would of course prefer the main ferry. Many thanks. Sheena
As been said. It is on behalf of the tide. Caminha is situated at the mouth of the Minho river which is very sandy. At low tide the ferry cannot sail.
We arrived in Caminha last year in May on a friday , expecting to take the ferry but it was not going untill the next sunday. So time schedule or not, you are dependant on the tides and it is good to have the alternatives of the fishermen who are willing to put you to the other side.

Practical thing. Entering Caminha you will first encounter the harbour nearby a camping and a restaurant to meet the fishermen and a lot further on is the quai of the ferry.
It is difficult to get the schedules of de tide so you have to wait until you are in Caminha to find out about your possibility to cross the river.
Alternative is a detour of 26 kms to A Guarda by the bridge of Via Nova de Cerveira. Not a pleasant walk along side a busy road at both sides of the river,

As been said. It is on behalf of the tide. Caminha is situated at the mouth of the Minho river which is very sandy. At low tide the ferry cannot sail.
We arrived in Caminha last year in May on a friday , expecting to take the ferry but it was not going untill the next sunday. So time schedule or not, you are dependant on the tides and it is good to have the alternatives of the fishermen who are willing to put you to the other side.

Practical thing. Entering Caminha you will first encounter the harbour nearby a camping and a restaurant to meet the fishermen and a lot further on is the quai of the ferry.
It is difficult to get the schedules of de tide so you have to wait until you are in Caminha to find out about your possibility to cross the river.
Alternative is a detour of 26 kms to A Guarda by the bridge of Via Nova de Cerveira. Not a pleasant walk along side a busy road at both sides of the river,

Many thanks for that reminder Albertinho. I've found a website with tide tables available for the date we'll be reaching the ferry. Plan A - Caminha Ferry, plan B - local ferryman and plan C - taxi. The 26 km detour is too much for my husband and I.

Last edited:
Many thanks for that reminder Albertinho. I've found a website with tide tables available for the date we'll be reaching the ferry. Plan A - Caminha Ferry, plan B - local ferryman and Poland C - taxi. The 26 km detour is too much for my husband and I.
Winners have a plan Sheena ! :)

Maybe you will publish the link to the tides website here on the forum.

Bom caminho

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I stopped for a sello just outside Caminha and the man paints all the arrows in this area..be said first ferry goes at 8am but it didn't it is usually 9am also the ferry said we might not leave till 10.30..but it did leave pretty quick..don't plan a long walk for this day. Also coming into Oia arrows direct you down onto wet lane ways and one brings you up into a high forest only to bring you straight back again. I met a very dodgy man who may lie in wait? I would stay on the road as the views are amazing....and the boardwalks are superb. I have lots more advice if anyone wants to PM me. Walk the littoral if the wind is favourable.

I stopped for a sello just outside Caminha and the man paints all the arrows in this area..be said first ferry goes at 8am but it didn't it is usually 9am also the ferry said we might not leave till 10.30..but it did leave pretty quick..don't plan a long walk for this day. Also coming into Oia arrows direct you down onto wet lane ways and one brings you up into a high forest only to bring you straight back again. I met a very dodgy man who may lie in wait? I would stay on the road as the views are amazing....and the boardwalks are superb. I have lots more advice if anyone wants to PM me. Walk the littoral if the wind is favourable.

Hi Una, if you wouldn't mind, perhaps you could write your advice here, or even start a new thread "Some advice on the coastal route"? I'm sure there's many of us who would be interested in your information. Cheers.

@Albertinho , isn't this The stretch You recommend we skip for ladies walking alone?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would also like advice about walking the coastal route. Is there an app available? I need to use the ferry on 2nd May - after labour day will it still be running or do I also need a fisherman?

Here's a tide website that seems pretty accurate: http://www.tides4fishing.com/pt/viana-do-castelo/caminha
Yes but this does not say anything about the ferry is sailing or not.
I tried to find something in Spanish or Portuguese but most of the information is from 2014 or 2015. Except from the here above publiced link to the ferry timetable it looks like the sailings are randomly .

So to be advised is to keep the phonenumber of the fisherman ready if you are intending to cross the river in case of..

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can also walk 26 km or take a taxi from Caminha to A Guarda. :)

Winners have a plan Sheena ! :)

Maybe you will publish the link to the tides website here on the forum.

Bom caminho

'rsullivan' has posted the very same site I was about to below. Hope it's a case of 'great minds think alike' and not the ending of the saying!!

Yes, these are the 4 alternatives between Caminha and A Guarda:
ferry
fisherman´s boat
walk 26 km
taxi
Bom caminho :)

We have the phone numbers of two alternative accredited ferry men just in case, but would of course prefer the main ferry. Many thanks. Sheena

Hi Sheena, how/where did you get the phone numbers for accredited ferry men? Thanks!

Hi Sheena, how/where did you get the phone numbers for accredited ferry men? Thanks!

Hi. There's a link to the page with Mario Goncalves phone number - https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/ferry-carminha-to-spain.34239/. His number is (00351) 96-341-6259.

The other gentleman's details are Emidio Sebastian Nunes on (00351) 96-583-6998.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/caminha-ferry.26862/
(About half way down the page, there are some other details as well

Hope this is of help. Sheena

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you Sheena! We fly out tomorrow, start walking on Friday.

Bom Caminho!
Will you be putting a blog on here, we'd love to follow your journey? We begin our own Portuguese Caminho at the beginning of June. Sheena

Hi Sheena, if I did it right, you should have a message from me.

Hi just to say that the ferry did not leave until 14:00 hrs yesterday.

I arrived at 9am so contacted Mario on the number above and he took me across the river. 5 Euros.

So far this update
Yes, the Ferry is not working, but Xunta de Galicia has a new service called XACOBEO TRANSFER, only for people, between REMO pier (20 meters of the old Ferry) and Spanish ferry station, every 30 minutes.It is possible to book via web www.nauticdestination.com or phone and watsapp +34 613011226

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back