A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Ferry - Camino Portuguese

2020 Camino Guides

GailGwyn

Camino(s) past & future
part Camino Frances (2013), Part Camino Norte (2014)Camino Frances (2019)Camino Portuguese (2020)
I'm planning on walking the Camino Portuguese next year (probably in mid May). I'm thinking of including the Variante Espiritual and believe there's an option to take a ferry for a short part of it, and that there are Stations of the Cross situated in the water?

Anyway, my main question is, if I take the ferry, will this disqualify me from obtaining my Compostella?

I walked this year, from SJPP to Santiago, and got my Compostella. It was such a thrill and a sense of achievement, that I would be disappointed if I couldn't get it for walking the Portuguese.

Ivan_Prada

Camino(s) past & future
Francés-(septiembre 2018)
Portugués-(en planes 2021)
I'm planning on walking the Camino Portuguese next year (probably in mid May). I'm thinking of including the Variante Espiritual and believe there's an option to take a ferry for a short part of it, and that there are Stations of the Cross situated in the water?

Anyway, my main question is, if I take the ferry, will this disqualify me from obtaining my Compostella?

I walked this year, from SJPP to Santiago, and got my Compostella. It was such a thrill and a sense of achievement, that I would be disappointed if I couldn't get it for walking the Portuguese.
Hi GailGwyn:

No worries, refer to the attached photo of the map in the Credencial de Peregrino-Catedral De Santiago. Notice the caption (I quote): “Para poder obtener la “Compostela”, la variante espiritual debe iniciarse, como mínimo en Porriño o Vigo.”

Translated: in order to obtain the Compostela, the spiritual variant must, as a minimum, start either in Porriño or Vigo.

Hope this helps.

Bon Caminho

Attachments

surya8

Camino(s) past & future
Portugues Central and Coastal 2017 & 2019; Portugues Interior, Sanabres, Fisterra & Muxia 2018
Taking a boat there qualifies for the Compostella so you should be fine. It's also possible to walk instead taking the boat, we did it this Jan as taking the boat is not a budget option in winter. Bom Caminho!

GailGwyn

Camino(s) past & future
part Camino Frances (2013), Part Camino Norte (2014)Camino Frances (2019)Camino Portuguese (2020)
Hi GailGwyn:

No worries, refer to the attached photo of the map in the Credencial de Peregrino-Catedral De Santiago. Notice the caption (I quote): “Para poder obtener la “Compostela”, la variante espiritual debe iniciarse, como mínimo en Porriño o Vigo.”

Translated: in order to obtain the Compostela, the spiritual variant must, as a minimum, start either in Porriño or Vigo.

Hope this helps.

Bon Caminho
Hi Ivan_Prada

That's good to know, thanks.

I've read that the Camino Espiritual is beautiful, so I'd like to walk it
Taking a boat there qualifies for the Compostella so you should be fine. It's also possible to walk instead taking the boat, we did it this Jan as taking the boat is not a budget option in winter. Bom Caminho!
Hi
Thanks Surya8
That's a relief. We wouldn't mind walking, but I thought the boat trip looked like fun.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 188 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 310 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 89 7.1%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.2%
  • September

Votes: 355 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 150 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock