• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ferry - Camino Portuguese

GailGwyn

Time of past OR future Camino
part Camino Frances (2013), Part Camino Norte (2014)Camino Frances (2019)Camino Portuguese (2020)
I'm planning on walking the Camino Portuguese next year (probably in mid May). I'm thinking of including the Variante Espiritual and believe there's an option to take a ferry for a short part of it, and that there are Stations of the Cross situated in the water?

Anyway, my main question is, if I take the ferry, will this disqualify me from obtaining my Compostella?

I walked this year, from SJPP to Santiago, and got my Compostella. It was such a thrill and a sense of achievement, that I would be disappointed if I couldn't get it for walking the Portuguese.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm planning on walking the Camino Portuguese next year (probably in mid May). I'm thinking of including the Variante Espiritual and believe there's an option to take a ferry for a short part of it, and that there are Stations of the Cross situated in the water?

Anyway, my main question is, if I take the ferry, will this disqualify me from obtaining my Compostella?

I walked this year, from SJPP to Santiago, and got my Compostella. It was such a thrill and a sense of achievement, that I would be disappointed if I couldn't get it for walking the Portuguese.

Hi GailGwyn:

No worries, refer to the attached photo of the map in the Credencial de Peregrino-Catedral De Santiago. Notice the caption (I quote): “Para poder obtener la “Compostela”, la variante espiritual debe iniciarse, como mínimo en Porriño o Vigo.”

Translated: in order to obtain the Compostela, the spiritual variant must, as a minimum, start either in Porriño or Vigo.

Hope this helps.

Bon Caminho

Attachments

• 8D846395-7E8D-43CC-8589-5EA887EB0073.jpeg
    8D846395-7E8D-43CC-8589-5EA887EB0073.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Taking a boat there qualifies for the Compostella so you should be fine. It's also possible to walk instead taking the boat, we did it this Jan as taking the boat is not a budget option in winter. Bom Caminho!

Hi GailGwyn:

No worries, refer to the attached photo of the map in the Credencial de Peregrino-Catedral De Santiago. Notice the caption (I quote): “Para poder obtener la “Compostela”, la variante espiritual debe iniciarse, como mínimo en Porriño o Vigo.”

Translated: in order to obtain the Compostela, the spiritual variant must, as a minimum, start either in Porriño or Vigo.

Hope this helps.

Bon Caminho
Hi Ivan_Prada

That's good to know, thanks.

I've read that the Camino Espiritual is beautiful, so I'd like to walk it
Taking a boat there qualifies for the Compostella so you should be fine. It's also possible to walk instead taking the boat, we did it this Jan as taking the boat is not a budget option in winter. Bom Caminho!
Hi
Thanks Surya8
That's a relief. We wouldn't mind walking, but I thought the boat trip looked like fun.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back