• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ferry Crossings From Portugal to Spain and also within Portugal

Time of past OR future Camino
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Hola/Ola I recall seeing a post about one of the above ferry crossings not operating on Mondays and of course others being affected by tides etc.
I am doing forward planning (my brother - love him - but can be a pedantic) so I am giving him as many options as possible.
So the ferry from Caminha to A Guarda - does it operate every day?? We are walking in May/June leaving Porto around 21 May and should be in Caminha 6 or 7 days later so it would be a Friday if we take the A Guarda ferry. Thanks in advance.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So the ferry from Caminha to A Guarda - does it operate every day??

Ferry from Caminha to A Guarda
Ferryboat Santa Rita de Cássia
Departs from Caminha at 09:00 every half hour until 18:00 (Portuguese time).
Returns from A Guarda at 10:30 every half hour until 19:30 (Spanish time).

BUT it does not run at low tide.

AND it does not run on Mondays.

The Portuguese weekly ferry schedule is updated here:
https://www.cm-caminha.pt/pages/1079
Near bottom of page, click on: the Horário PDF for the week you want.

The Spanish weekly ferry schedule is updated here:
https://www.turismoaguarda.es/en/horarios-ferry/

Portugal is one hour behind Spain. So the ferry from Caminha (Portugal) to A Guarda will be one hour earlier than that shown on the A Guarda (Spain) timetable.

There is also a guy called Mario, in Caminha, who has a boat and can take you across. His phone number is +351 963 416 259.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When we arrived at the ferry dock in Caminha at appr 9 am during Camino this last September the first ferry crossing for that day would be at appr 1.30 Pm. There didn’t seem to be a regular ferry schedule due to (very) low tide. However, we paid the €10 for the 2 of us right at the ferry ticket booth and the lady unlocked a gate to have us join another group of pilgrims. Within 5 minutes we were dropped of on the other side. No booking required. Easy and simple
The skipper was an old sailor, not sure it was Mario, but he sure looked like a Mario........

Mondays are a problem but the water taxi (a large row boat with a motor that seats 6) does run on demand. The owner also hangs out at the coffee shop near the dock. I think it was 5E for the trip.

Yes, I will took that option since leaving Porto on the 18th of June will put me at Caminha on Sunday evening.
But I have a friend of mine who, finding the ferry close, made the long detour by foot crossing the river on the first available bridge and she throughtfully enjoyed the trip although she was worn out at the end in A Guarda.

Last edited:
Hola/Ola I recall seeing a post about one of the above ferry crossings not operating on Mondays and of course others being affected by tides etc.
I am doing forward planning (my brother - love him - but can be a pedantic) so I am giving him as many options as possible.
So the ferry from Caminha to A Guarda - does it operate every day?? We are walking in May/June leaving Porto around 21 May and should be in Caminha 6 or 7 days later so it would be a Friday if we take the A Guarda ferry. Thanks in advance.
The ferry is closed since 2022. One option is www.xacobeotransfer.com

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Current information for anyone walking North on the coastal path:

Both ferries are operating out of Caminha. The 'official' one which runs on a regular daily schedule from the dock at the northern end of the town. It will take you across to Pasaxe, No booking necessary.

Just before the town, 500 metres out along the southern shore of the estuary, the guy with the smaller boat will take you on demand from the small jetty. This is a lovely way to arrive into Spain, you walk the lovely coastal forest path that skirts around the headland into A Guardia. His number is on the boat in the pic.

I took this way just a few days ago..20220917_075841.jpg

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Mondays are a problem but the water taxi (a large row boat with a motor that seats 6) does run on demand. The owner also hangs out at the coffee shop near the dock. I think it was 5E for the trip.
That’s Mario , mentioned above
Just entering Caminha at the left is a Marine and fishung harbour. The first building in that direction will be the reataurant where Mario hangs about or ask inside to call him

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.