• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ferry ride

naplesdon

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Multiple Caminos 2010 to 2019
I arrived from Ancora this morning to take the ferry boat from Caminha to Spain only to learn it was not running on Monday due a 3 day beer festival this weekend in Caminha. Only if I had know about the fete. One never knows what the Camino is going to "provide."

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I arrived from Ancora this morning to take the ferry boat from Caminha to Spain only to learn it was not running on Monday due a 3 day beer festival this weekend in Caminha. Only if I had know about the fete. One never knows what the Camino is going to "provide."
If you don't like beer and want to continue your caminho in a straight line instead of zigzagging, go back to the caminho harbour, about 2 kms back to Vila Praia de Ãncora nearby a big hotel and a camping , aks for Pedro o Pescador-Pedro the Fisherman-.
If he does not care about beer either and can sail into a straight direction he will set you to the other side of the Minho river for 5€ per person. A trip of about 5 minutes and you can continue your walk to A Guarda before monday.
Bom caminho and ” saúde"

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The ferry in Caminha was cancelled for me on Sunday due to the thick mist/fog :/ and they said that it doesn't run on Monday!

Attachments

• IMG_0811.JPG
    IMG_0811.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Hi @biarritzdon
Good to hear that you have made it to Caminha! Albertinho's suggestion sounds good unless a rest day is due.

I enjoyed the stage from A Guarda probably more than any other.

Take care and check back.

Un abrazo
LT
I would agree with you mainly because the bike path surface for most of the way is very forgiving on the feet. The scenery is lovely. So far the worst dining experience in the past 2 months for the menu de dia in Baiona. It was lamb chops from the rear end of a mutton. I have never tried to eat anything so tough and full of bones in my life.
It may rain tomorrow and I may opt for a bus and train to Redondela to avoid urban chaos in the rain.
BTW you were so right about the amount of cobblestone and hard surfaces, it has taken a toll on my bad foot but I have never fallen once.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would agree with you mainly because the bike path surface for most of the way is very forgiving on the feet. The scenery is lovely. So far the worst dining experience in the past 2 months for the menu de dia in Baiona. It was lamb chops from the rear end of a mutton. I have never tried to eat anything so tough and full of bones in my life.
It may rain tomorrow and I may opt for a bus and train to Redondela to avoid urban chaos in the rain.
BTW you were so right about the amount of cobblestone and hard surfaces, it has taken a toll on my bad foot but I have never fallen once.

Good to hear that you are in one piece and managed to stay upright! I stumbled and fell (luckily backwards on my pack) on a wooden boardwalk on my way out of Matosinhos and caught myself before tripping on three other occasions - those loose planks can be dangerous!

Buen Camino and enjoy the rest of the Portugês!

Hi @biarritzdon
Good to hear that you have made it to Caminha! Albertinho's suggestion sounds good unless a rest day is due.

I enjoyed the stage from A Guarda probably more than any other.

Take care and check back.

Un abrazo
LT
An alternative if it is a rest day or everybody is drunk due to a festa de cerveja you could walk or drive a 26 km detour by following the Minho river inland to Vilanova de Cerveira ,cross the bridge and the Portuguese/Spanish border and follow the Minho river back to the ocean up to A Guarda. .

Last edited:
My research prior to the Camino indicated that the caminha ferry does not run on Mondays...this is given as a rest day! Knowing I would be travelling on a Monday my contingency was to catch a train and bus to a Guarda. On arriving in caminha I was told by numerous locals that the ferry runs every DAY! But on arriving at the ferry site on monday the place was completely deserted. I waited till 9am for the port authority offic.e to open and was advised that the ferry would run at 10am. I returned at 9.40 and again found the ferry area deserted. A local saw me and said 'the ferry does not run on Monday's. In short the ferry DOES NOT run on Mondays. ,,,so although frustrated at poor advice and lost time I put plan b into action. This is...a train from caminha to vila nova de cerviera...an hrs walk across the bridge of friendship to Goian in Spain and a bus to a Guarda...3 euros the lot. Ho hum....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Don´t trust the ferry man...........NO FERRY ON MONDAYS! Ferry times are chanching because of low waters. To get the actual schedule use this link: https://telemarinas.com/horario-del-ferry-la-semana-del-25-al-30-julio/
You will not find lunes > Monday!!

Sometimes they are one or two days late. For newest schedule use the search function up right an type Ferry. That´s all.

On Mondays or other days you can call the two fishermen : Mario Gonçalves, Tel.: +351 963 416 259 or Emidio Sebastão Nunes +351 965 836 998 You can ask for Mario at the camp site everybody knows him.
They charge 5 € per person to cross the river from Caminha to Camposancos. From Camposancos to A Guarda centre is a 3 kms walk.

Last edited:
We found "Mario" to take us over in his fishing boat! Ask at the tourist office if you want to find him. Sounds like it is the same location, 2 K back on the Camino, that @Albertinho talks about!

Don´t trust the ferry man...........NO FERRY ON MONDAYS! Ferry times are chanching because of low waters. To get the actual schedule use this link: https://telemarinas.com/horarios-del-ferry-la-semana-del-18-al-23-julio/
You will not find lunes > Monday!!

Sometimes they are one or two days late. For newest schedule use the search function up right an type Ferry. That´s all.

On Mondays or other days you can call the two fishermen : Mario Gonçalves, Tel.: +351 963 416 259 or Emidio Sebastão Nunes +351 965 836 998 You can ask for Mario at the camp site everybody knows him.
They charge 5 € per person to cross the river from Caminha to Camposancos. From Camposancos to A Guarda centre is a 3 kms walk.
Super helpful .... I'm hoping if I contacted night before there shouldn't be any problem

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The main ferry costs only 1 euro!
Jill

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.