• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ferryboat de Caminha "Santa Rita de Cássia" NO ESTÁ OPERATIVO

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am not at all familiar with the Portuguese routes and the significance of this, and I see that it was a news story from May 2022. Perhaps someone can explain what it means to pilgrims.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, I saw that, and did a translation. However, it would be helpful if you could give the context for the link, so that new pilgrims will understand. Is this a new situation? Are there alternatives?

We publish this post because many pilgrims go to the Ferryboat "Santa Rita de Cássia" and find themselves with the unpleasant surprise that it is not operational.

Since April 2022, with the support of the Xunta de Galicia, the Concello da Guarda and the Câmara Municipal de Caminha, AGAN+ has launched the XacobeoTransfer.com service to cross the Miño River for pilgrims, tourists and residents (on foot or by bicycle) as a quality alternative, safe, regular and well valued by pilgrims.

Last edited:
Problem solved? I have not read about any threads regarding no ferry service.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am not at all familiar with the Portuguese routes and the significance of this, and I see that it was a news story from May 2022. Perhaps someone can explain what it means to pilgrims.
The ferry is the primary means of crossing the Mino River, and its closure would be a major issue. for perigrinos and the broader community.

If I read the English translation of the news article correctly, alternatives are being examined and announcements wil be made in due course...

In the meantime, there is (or at least was) an alternative for perigrinos. A local fisherman was operating a small boat taxi service for perigrinos with the boarding point at a small jetty just past the caravan park. I had read about this (probably in Brierly) but had planned to take the ferry. However as I walked past the caravan park, there was a sign, with a contact phone number for this service. I continued past the sign and turned right at the river bank to go towards the ferry jetty. At this point, the boat taxi operator was driving past (clearly looking for people like me), pulled over and explained his service. Changed my mind and went with him and in 15 minutes, I was across the river and walking!

1664058741289.png

I had the choice of being deposited on the river bank opposite and continuing my Camino, or being taken to the ferry departure jetty in town.

Cost (in 2019) was 5 euro per person for a minimum of three people - 6 euro now, it would seem - see following post by Xacebo Transfer...

From https://www.albergueopeirao.com/en/arrive-to-a-guarda-on-ferry/#:~:text=In addition to the ferry, there exist another,hours than tha ferry and also on mondays.

Other alternatives to cross the river​

In addition to the ferry, there exist another ways to arrive by boat to A Guarda from Caminha. A few boats work like taxis independently of the ferry. There are their contacts, the work more hours than the ferry and also on mondays.
Francisco Mario Gonçalves: +00351 963 416 259
Taxi-mar: +00351 915 955 827 / +00351 258 401 599
Taxi Boat pilgrim: +00351 913 524 110

Last edited:
Take the water taxi it's more fun than a ferry and they land you on the beach; felt like Columbus landing in a new country (only downside i got a wet bum)

There was more than one operating last September; the guy i used came to the Arca Nova hostel in his van and took us to his boat around 8.30 am 5 Euros each
Woody

Attachments

• WATER TAXI TO SPAIN.mp4
    2.7 MB
Last edited:
We publish this post because many pilgrims go to the Ferryboat "Santa Rita de Cássia" and find themselves with the unpleasant surprise that it is not operational.

Since April 2022, with the support of the Xunta de Galicia, the Concello da Guarda and the Câmara Municipal de Caminha, AGAN+ has launched the XacobeoTransfer.com service to cross the Miño River for pilgrims, tourists and residents (on foot or by bicycle) as a quality alternative, safe, regular and well valued by pilgrims.
HI,

If I understand correctly, you are talking about the official ferry. The one that has been out of service for a while now. Last year, the options were walking around to go over the bridge or, alternatively, use one of the fishermen from the campsite. And you are saying that from this year there is another offical service Xacobeo Transfer.

Thank you for clarrifying!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This was also the case when I walked the Camino da Costa in 2019. The hospitalera in Vila Praia de Ancora recommended this guy. At the Tunel just before Moleda do not take the option to head into Camiha but continue along the costal path. You will arrive at two cafes side by side. Have a coffee and phone the boat man and he will come and take you across. He charged 5 euros and likes to have 4 or 5 people in the boat. It is quite an experience as he just takes you over the estuary and tips you out on the beach.
Buen Camino.
Vince

Attachments

• 1555434860240.jpg
    1555434860240.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 9
For those traveling by bike, it might be worth noting the official ferry was the easiest way to get across the river and the water taxi may struggle (it was a small rigid inflatable in 2019).

Things may have changed but the alternative is a lengthy detour inland.

Also the route across the river was rough for bikes initially but gets better.

For walking pilgrims (as opposed to cycling) the ferry cancellation is irrelevant. There are a couple of options of water taxis for 6€. They don't even need to be booked, just turn up and jump on! We caught one in early September. The trip across took about 10 minutes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back