• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Festa dos Tabuleiros ('Festival of the Trays') - Tomar, July 2023

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
As many people are starting to plan their 2023 caminos, and there seems to me (anecdotally) to be quite a bit of interest in the Portuguese route from Lisbon this year, it seems worth pointing out that there will be a large festival in Tomar this July.

It's the Festa dos Tabuleiros ('Festival of the Trays'), which takes place only once every four years. I have never seen it but if the stars align I might be able to go this year. The festival is from 1-10 July with the big procession on Sunday 9th.

From the Wikipedia entry:
The Festa dos Tabuleiros (Festival of the Trays) or Festa do Divino Espírito Santo (Feast of the Holy Spirit), takes place every four years in July in Tomar, Portugal. This festival is an ancient tradition and the most important celebrated in the city, attracting people from all over the world. It is held every four years, the last one being held between June 29 to July 8, 2019.[1] The local population parades in pairs with the girls carrying tabuleiros on their heads. The tabuleiro is made of 30 stacked pieces of bread, either in 6 rows of 5 or 5 rows of 6, decorated with flowers. At the top of the tabuleiro is a crown which normally contains either a white dove, symbolising the Holy Spirit, or the esfera armilar (armillary sphere), a symbol of the historical Portuguese maritime expansion, and over the sphere, the cross of the Order of Christ.

If you can't imagine what these tabuleiros actually look like, here is a image from Público, a Portuguese newspaper:

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 6.59.31 PM.png

For pilgrims and/or tourists visiting Tomar in early July, it could be a fantastic opportunity to see a spectacular local festival. However, the usual caveats apply -- accommodation will be hard to come by, and there will be big crowds.

Bom caminho and boa festa!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks, JungleBoy! They are already planning for this festival, in the neighbourhoods of Tomar. It's a very big deal (and if you think you'll want to stay there during this festival, book ahead!)

It might be timely to point out that, if you're walking a bit earlier than this, there is also the yearly Festival of the Tejo in Barquinha, this year from Sat 10th to Sun 18th of June, bracketing June 13, day of Sao António, the patron saint of Vila Nova da Barquinha, as well as a multitude of other towns and cities in Portugal, including Lisbon itself.

There is a bit of ritual included in this feira (festival), on the day of Sao António itself and on the Sundays, but mainly it's a 9-day celebration of smalltown Portuguese life, with lots of fireworks, free concerts in the park most nights, an ongoing market and fair every evening at the lovely riverside park, and a lot of fun.

2022 was our first time attending. If you're in the area, it may be worth planning a night in Vila Nova da Barquinha.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sounds fun, thanks for letting us know!

P.S. While most male saints take the prefix São in Portuguese, this one is Santo António, because (at a guess) his name starts with a vowel.
You're right! It was REALLY early this morning.

And while it does not have the historic significance of Tomar's big, big festival, in some ways it's more accessible to visitors to the area. The Festa dos Tabuleiros is quite complex, with a lot going on besides the main parades. Interestingly, the fact it takes place in Tomar seems to have very little, or nothing, to do with the Convent of Christ and the Templar history there...part of an entirely different church tradition.

Speaking of Templars, there is another Tomar festival related to that, held during the same period in July as the Festa dos Tabuleiros, in the 3 years out of 4 that the FdT doesn't take place. So the next Festa Templaria will take place in July 2024, if you're planning ahead!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back