• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Festival in Melide on April 23, 2016

• Thread starter Deleted member 56069
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 56069

I was going through my journal from our Camino in April 2016 and when we stopped in Melide on Saturday April 23rd there was a large festival going on all day and into the wee hours.
I missed identifying what the festival was in honour of and now I am curious.
Anyone know for sure?
Thought it might have been in honour of the death of Miguel de Cervantes who died on this date 400 years previously in 1616, but not 100% sure and would like to know for sure.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was going through my journal from our Camino in April 2016 and when we stopped in Melide on Saturday April 23rd there was a large festival going on all day and into the wee hours.
I missed identifying what the festival was in honour of and now I am curious.
Anyone know for sure?
Thought it might have been in honour of the death of Miguel de Cervantes who died on this date 400 years previously in 1616, but not 100% sure and would like to know for sure.

According to Internet it was a "foliada" (fiesta) organized by a neighbours association of Melide. Nothing to do with Cervantes.

I found out with a little more research that April 23rd is celebrated as 'Castile Day'. This date is the anniversary of the Battle of Villalar, in which Castilian rebels called Comuneros were dealt a crushing defeat by the royalist forces of King Charles the 5th in the revolt of the Comuneros on April 23, 1521. In more modern times since 1986 the day is more of a celebration of Castilian Nationalism.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back