A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Festivals along the Frances

Dave C.

Camino(s) past & future
Francis (2016)
SJ to Santo Domingo (2017)
Santo Domingo to Fromista (2018)
SJPdP to Burgos (2019)
There are many local festivals along the Frances, one of which I happened upon in 2016. Other than the obvious ones like San Fermin in Pamplona in July and La Batalla del Vino in Haro in June (a short bus trip), what are others that Pilgrims can schedule to attend or avoid (crowds)?

Mima1965

Camino(s) past & future
Norte/Primitivo/Frances (2021)
There are many local festivals along the Frances, one of which I happened upon in 2016. Other than the obvious ones like San Fermin in Pamplona in July and La Batalla del Vino in Haro in June (a short bus trip), what are others that Pilgrims can schedule to attend or avoid (crowds)?
Hi Dave,
Have a look at the thread : "Festivals re: query and Introduction"
I posted a list in response to that query & other people have added.
Dozens of festivals take place between June & July along the Camino frances. Many others in August & more in September celebrating harvest & other patron saints.
Spain has over 15,000 fiestas & celebrations of all kinds throughout the year.
Even at winter you can end up in a fiesta. A fantastic one, I have been to, is Santo Tomas in San Sebastian (21 December) celebrating harvest with delicious food, wines & cider...(mind you Donostia is a foodies paradise!)
If you have specific days/months I can post you further details.
I, actually, have a long list as I plan my camino/s around festivals so I can be part of the celebrations!
Cheers

Carol06

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (May 2012)
Frances (May 2015) all going well and with my husband this time.
It is so good to see the response to this post. About 5 years ago I asked the same question and got hardly a response. This is fantastic. It would be great if someone could put together a spreadsheet so all the information is compiled in one place.

november_moon

Veteran Member
And don't forget the jousting at Hospital de Orbigo and its stunning street parade. Wonderful.
That's a fabulous festival. The first time we walked, we happened upon it - had no idea that it was there. What a find. Second time we walked, we planned our Camino specifically to catch this festival.

Roland49

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2019 July
The only festival I attended during my Camino in July '19 was the Music / Hippie Festival in Villafranca del Bierzo, thats in late July, last or second last weekend in July.
Very funny, very entertaining, very loud. Nude swimming on the playa fluvial on top.

Last edited:

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
Sahagun (at the halfway point on the CF) celebrates its saint day June 12 or a close weekend. Expect a few corridas (running of the bulls) along with shows and fireworks. It won't be as crazy as Pamplona's San Fermin.
Corrida is bullfight. The running of the bulls is called Encierro in Spanish.

Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2019, 2020)

MisterH

Camino(s) past & future
2017, 2018 neither successful
It is so good to see the response to this post. About 5 years ago I asked the same question and got hardly a response. This is fantastic. It would be great if someone could put together a spreadsheet so all the information is compiled in one place.
Nice idea and then to update it yearly

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
S Camino Frances 7
T Camino Frances 7
Rebecca Lehman Camino Frances 6
Carol06 Camino Frances 20
M Camino Frances 1

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock