• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Festivals, September and October 2015

Deb and John

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles 2023
I just came across an article on a festival, the feast of San Froilan or Las Cantaderas, which looks to take place in Leon from October 5-12, 2015. We should be close enough to experience this, but do we want to? Does anyone know more about this and/or other festivals we might want to experience/avoid in September/October?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We have arrived in Logroño during the fiesta of San Mateo one year , which I think was at the very end of September. Also a very enjoyable fiesta in Viana ( sometime late September). I would have to check back in my journals to see exact dates. Both fiestas go on for days!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My son walked the Frances during the month of September about 10 years ago and though he doesn't drink, he really enjoyed all the grape harvest festivals he happened upon. You are going to come across a lot of them, I'll bet.

I don't know if grape harvest festivals have the same type of programs as the annual saints' days fiestas, but if they do, you should be prepared for very late night music. I arrived in Silleda on the Sanabres a few weeks ago and saw all the bands setting up for the last night of their fiestas. After corroborating with some of the locals that this meant there would be music all night in the center of town, I decided to walk another 6.5 km to Bandeira. I am glad I did, because some pilgrims I met the next day in Ponte Ulla told me that the music did not stop till 6 am. They had not gotten a moment of sleep. Sounds like I made the right decision, even if it meant I didn't get to enjoy the festivities.

I think the first clue you're heading into a festival area is the firecrackers.
They sound like gunshots and yeah, unless you don't need sleep, it is probably better to find a bed in another village.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In Viana, we stayed in the donativo Albergue of the church, right on the main plaza. When we got up the next morning, the band was still playing! Fortunately, for me, I always use ear plugs and didn't hear a thing, even although we had the window open!

I think the first clue you're heading into a festival area is the firecrackers.
They sound like gunshots and yeah, unless you don't need sleep, it is probably better to find a bed in another village.
Yes! Those things are incredible, I remember the first time we heard them was approaching Najera the day before the May 1st fiesta this year - we worked out they weren't guns but couldn't understand why we seemed to be hearing fireworks during the daytime! They don't seem to worry about being able to see them, the noise seems to be the thing. The loudest ones we heard were in Pedrouzo, when local officials seemed to be setting them off from right by where we were staying, using some kind of hand-held rocket-launcher device! We could hear them for miles before we got to the town. That was on Corpus Christi and they went on all day but luckily seemed to stop or move elsewhere at night!

Info about San Froilán festival in León:

www.aytoleon.es/es/ayuntamiento/areasmunicipales/fiestas/Paginas/sanfroilan.aspx

2014's program of San Froilán festival in León (so you can get a better idea about the festival):

http://leonocio.es/event/fiesta-de-san-froilan-leon

We have arrived in Logroño during the fiesta of San Mateo one year , which I think was at the very end of September.

San Mateo day is September 21st and the festival lasts a week (the week of September 21st).

Throughout Spain October 12 is a national holiday celebrating the discovery of the new world by Christopher Columbus in 1492.

It's a public holiday but it doesn't mean it's a festival all around the country. Many places doesn't make any special events on that day (i.e.: it's like any Sunday). In fact, except cities and towns which Saint Patron is on or around that date, few places have special events on October 12 being Madrid (where there are some acts to celebrate the National Day of Spain) the main exception.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yikes. Without knowing any of that I managed to schedule hitting Logrono during their festival and will get to Leon at the beginning of THAT festival. Not staying IN Logrono, so hopefully that will work out well, but that might mean that getting a room anywhere other than a pilgrim-specific albergue in Leon will be tricky. THANKS FOR THE POSTS about these - it should be fun to be there during them and see firsthand how Spain celebrates!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.