• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

FEVE tickets

Andrij

I'd like to take the train from Ferrol to Santander but not sure how to go about getting tickets. There doesn't appear to be a facility on their website (http://www.feve.es/) to book online. A relative (who knows Spanish well) took a look and couldn't find anything. He also tried four of the phone numbers listed and none of them worked. I also tried RENFE, but they only sell tickets for FEVE's luxury excursions, not regular services.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola Andrij,
You cannot buy FEVE tickets in advance. Just go to the station on the day and buy your ticket. If boarding at an unmanned station you pay on the train. Ferrol to Oviedo is 7 hours, Oviedo to Santander another 4 hours 30 minutes. We broke the journey, but some folk go on through.
We have used the this train several times and love it.
If you happen to be a pensioner you can buy a 3 euro pass which gives you half price tickets, but the fares are reasonable anyway.
If you have any other questions about the FEVE we'll happily try to answer them

Hi, I have travelled on FEVE trains whilst doing the Camino del Norte, from Gijon to Cudillero. Also on two other occasions, Santander to Requejada, and Cabozon de Sal back to Santander. Each time, four of us with loaded bikes. No problem, just turned up and bought tickets at the stations. This appears to be the norm, buy at station! ,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for your replies, especially the comment about bicycles (my mode of transport). Now I just need to tackle RENFE to get from Santiago to Ferrol. Had difficulty online last night so will give in and order via the RENFE agent in London.

At times I think it would be simpler to get a few more weeks of leave and cycle back to the UK...

Hi Andrij, So you are one of the 12% that travel the Camino by bike! Just read your blog. You planned to do much the same as we are doing. We are taking the ferry from Portsmouth. I have flown with bikes too often and had too many very bad experiences to fly again!
Our planning was probably much the same as yours, and probably the same sort of decisions to be made, see http://anerleybc.org/planning-a-cycling-adventure/
Now all that is done and the adventure begins in 3 weeks time! See our latest update at http://anerleybc.org/where-penitent-pilgrims-lie/
I mention in my last posting to you that I previously went to santiago (also on the del Norte route) in 2005. This is me and my loaded bike outside the cathedral. We took 4 bikes like this on the FEVE train between Gijon and Cudillero to avoid the industrial area between Gijon/Aviles.

Attachments

• Galicia 2005.JPG
    Galicia 2005.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,367
FEVE is now part of RENFE and their website has changed.
If you use the old site as a bookmark then you need to click on the 'renfe' name to find the FEVE details.
This takes you to the times etc and other information.
The new direct link for times on the FEVE is http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/feve/horarios.html

Tarjetas Azul still seem to be available for those who qualify. Whether forward booking will now be possible is something I haven't checked. However checking the times of trains well ahead works, as does the cost calculator.

Edit:- well it did a couple of hours ago. However although it is possible to check times some of the stations have disappeared as has the cost checker :( I think the site is still being updated. The stations all appear on the updated renfe maps :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Trying to check train times for the FEVE is giving some interesting/disturbing answers this morning.
There is one train a day from Oviedo to Santander (morning) and one from Santander to Oviedo (afternoon). The local trains from Santander run out as far as Torrelavega as before.
From Oviedo to Gijon/Aviles there are local trains but nothing for Ferrol.

The site does not give a list of intermediate stations for the 'through train' as previously, so it is not possible to check these.

Has anyone got any local knowledge that could help those of us planning northern starts to our Caminos this year. Is this just the teething problems of a new website/fewer trains/winter timetable...etc?

Tia Valeria said:
From Oviedo to Gijon/Aviles there are local trains but nothing for Ferrol.
Hi, maybe I have misunderstood exactly what you are searching for but I see a couple of trains listed for Oviedo - Ferrol (see below) for next week and again for dates in June.

Attachments

• FeveOviedoFerrol.jpg
    FeveOviedoFerrol.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 968
Hi Miguel and thanks,
Hopefully my frustration is a website glitch then. I found exactly the same times yesterday afternoon, but last night and again today I just found 'No train for this destination on this day', whatever dates I put in.
The times for Oviedo to Santander had also changed but at least one a day was running each way.
We'll keep trying.

Off to try the updated Renfe/Feve site again for myself. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Success :D the page is working properly again and the expected trains are there.
The only thing not available on the updated site is the list of intermediate stations with times. However the maps are an excellent idea, so the stations can be looked up there and entered as start or finish if needed. The price calculator came back too.

Glad it is all still running OK, not just for pilgrims but also for the folk along the line who depend on it.

Tia Valeria said:
Success :D the page is working properly again and the expected trains are there.
The only thing not available on the updated site is the list of intermediate stations with times. However the maps are an excellent idea, so the stations can be looked up there and entered as start or finish if needed. The price calculator came back too.

Glad it is all still running OK, not just for pilgrims but also for the folk along the line who depend on it.
If you click the arrow underneath the Paradas column it pops up a window with intermediate stops and arr/dep times.

Hola Miguel. I don't have a 'paradas' column on my page, http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/feve/horarios.html accessed from here. Just departure and arrival column and times.

The whole page changed two nights ago when the stations listed were all renfe only (Madrid etc) then back to FEVE yesterday, but in 3 interlocked windows. The page now looks 'normal' but is still short of the paradas.... On the old FEVE site I was used to doing as you say.

Can you post the actual url you have, with the paradas showing, please.

Edit Page refreshed - problem solved. Multiple frames have gone too so it doesn't need multiple scrolling either :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back