• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Feve train to Ferrol from Grado

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Oct/Nov 2022_Mozarabe from Almeria
Hi to all
I would like to purchase my Feve ticket from Grado to Ferrol for date of 16 June 2016.
I have been to the estacion de trenes (Grado ) twice now and can't catch a human at the window.
There is a machine but very difficult for me to comprehend. It doesn't appear to give option to input my 'Tarjeta Dorado' number or even give destination of Ferrol. I can see on the timetable that it stops at Grado and goes to Ferrol but It doesn't show Ferrol on the ticket machine !! I can't even make 'other come up'. Can you pay on the train ??
Is the estacion ever manned ?
Any response appreciated.
Annie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I took the Feve from Santander via Oviedo to Ferrol I saw lots of people buying the ticket on the train.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ahhh. Relief. Thanks for making this clear.
I was worried about being fined for travelling without a ticket.
Very helpful to know I can purchase on the train .
Thanks to @Tincatinker and @SabineP

Annie

We travelled from Grado to Oviedo last month and were helped by a local at the ticket machine. The platform there is now "ticket only" with barriers before you can get on the train. Small local stations are still "open" and pay on the train but all the larger town stations now have barriers that need a ticket to access. Maybe if you turn up early and look helpless (we are good at it!;)) someone will press the buttons for you. Do the "Cercanias" have a separate button on the machine? If so you will need to choose the route before choosing the station.
We have used the FEVE for years but it has now been modernised and is far more complicated.:(

Blessings
Terry

The machine in Grado might scan your card and then adjust the fee. It is very clever and gives change for notes. So many buttons, but our helper was used to dealing with it. There might even be an English option somewhere amongst its choices. I think you still buy on the day, not ahead, with any FEVE ticket.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The machine in Grado might scan your card and then adjust the fee. It is very clever and gives change for notes. So many buttons, but our helper was used to dealing with it. There might even be an English option somewhere amongst its choices. I think you still buy on the day, not ahead, with any FEVE ticket.
Tks tia and terry
I was concerned about the barrier (which requires the ticket to get onto platform. )
And good to know it's pointless trying to get it in advance. Turismo in Grado operates on Wednesday (closed Monday and Tuesday )-Begonia called Feve and told me it should be manned from 8am to 2.30. So I'll investigate.
She thought I might need to change trains at some other station. ???
Can you confirm whether I just sit put for 7+ hours once I board or what station I need to change at if I'm cathching the 8.12am train from Grado to Ferrol please ?
Maybe a local angel will appear for me too !

Much appreciate your feedback

Annie

I just checked and the 8.12 time is the Ferrol train which goes right through. It should be a diesel as the through line is not electrified and in the past was a 2-car with engine section at each end. This link http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/feve/ gives you the station selection and then the times and if you click on the 'paradas', when you get the time, it gives all the stations and times at each.
NB:- to anyone using this it gives available trains for that day so if the train has gone it does not show. To check times for a given day of the week make sure it is 'in advance'.

Thankyou again. I meant to add before for anyone else using the ticket machine - I did try it myself 2 days ago and it DOES have an English option but if you can't see what you need to select quickly, it automatically drops back to the beginning and request for English again. ! Lol.
I found out from turismo that the station is 'manned' earlier in the day until around 2pm so I made a sorti this morning and found a friendly gent behind the window who confirmed Tia Valeria 's advice that the ticket has to be purchased on the day.
He told me he would be there at 7.45am tomorrow and he would sort out my ticket for the 8.12 train from Grado to Ferrol.
Price mentioned using my valid Tarjeta Dorado is 10.60.
So I can relax now. !
Thankyou

Annie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's a beautiful trip, knockout scenery. Bring a lunch!
Yes. Also water. Toilet on the train but no food or drink available.
If the thought of over 6 hours on the train is daunting then Ribadeo is a great place to break the journey with a greater choice of trains to continue to Ferrol. There are 4 daily between Ribadeo and Ferrol, but only 2 do the full journey from and to Oviedo.

Lol.
I've arrived in a Ferrol , however by 'the circuitus route! Through no fault of mine tho.
1. Ticket issuing problem for Jefe at Grado estacion. He couldn't manage the ticket and gave me an access card to the platform but I had to get the ticket on the train. Ticket man gets on further down. Jefe phoned thru to warn that I'd need a ticket so I had no problem getting one later. E10.90 from Grado. (With Dorado card ).

2. Train arrived 1hr 10 late (no problem for me tho). Within an hour it was running 1hr 30 behind.

3. At Navia director (or ticket guy) herded everyone off the train and had taxis lined up to transport to the different directions. Ferrol, Ribedao , etc. about 7 taxis. I was really looking forward to the knockout scenery from the train. ! Also was prepared with food and water.
4. Taxi to Ferrol took a little over 2 hrs so would have cost the Feve !! No one was told what the problem was with the train . He had to divert from autovia to drop a lady at Cerdido (he wasn't happy , a lot of conversation there !!)
5. Miguel here on forum recommended Hotel Almendra close to station. Euro 20 night for single. Great, clean , happy ! Found it no problems &now off to the port for a looksee.
Annie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is what happened to us in 2015, but in reverse. We were transferred to taxis from Navia to Pravia, with others going to Gijon and Oviedo. So sad to miss the coastal scenery but at least we had travelled that way before.
We walked from the harbour back to the Almendra on the Camino route, having collected a sello at the harbour. Then set off from the hotel next morning.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back