• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Few pictures from our Camino del Salvador

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for posting these beautiful pictures. I walked this route in 2008 and loved it. I wonder if you could comment on the arrows, because when I walked we got terribly lost on our way to Pajares and wound up on the highway instead of on the way to Poladura de la Tercia. I'm hoping to walk again this spring and would like to correct that error. I have heard that there are many newly placed arrows to guide the pilgrims, but I'd love to hear about your experience.

Buen camino, Laurie

peregrina2000 said:
Thanks for posting these beautiful pictures. I walked this route in 2008 and loved it. I wonder if you could comment on the arrows, because when I walked we got terribly lost on our way to Pajares and wound up on the highway instead of on the way to Poladura de la Tercia. I'm hoping to walk again this spring and would like to correct that error. I have heard that there are many newly placed arrows to guide the pilgrims, but I'd love to hear about your experience.

Buen camino, Laurie

Great pictures. Thanks.

Laurie: I walked the Camino del Salvador in October 2010 and had the same problem you had - I got very confused and ended up walking along the highway. It was a beautiful walk but obviously very different than 'taking the high road.' We both were in good company because the three of the others that ended up walking the route all had the same problems. I had to help two Spanish brother cross the barbed wire after they spent the night sleeping in the open air. We all had a good laugh over a delicious meal at the next albuerge.

Jeff

...and here I thought we had all the trail-markings in order!
It is kinda late in the season to go up there, but I will check the weather reports and my arrow-paining supplies.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Reb,

I have read on the big Spanish forum that the marking has been done with the "flechas de Ender." If you search there you will see lots of thanks given by those who have walked the Camino in the past year. So I am going to conclude from that, that I will not make the mistake of going into Rodiezmo again. If Miroslaw comes back to the forum, it'd be nice to hear it from his mouth, since he was just there.

But if you're looking for a reason to get back out on the Salvador, don't let the presence of arrows stop you! I thought you were in Andalucia, anyway -- if so, I hear that the camino from Granada to Merida could use some arrows. :D

Buen camino, Laurie

I am in Sevilla and Cordoba, and have seen trail markers in both places.

Waymarking down south is better left to local experts. I may be down here in the Spain people think of when they hear the word "Spain," but I am looking forward to getting home to my severe and silent little Castilian meseta. There is no place like home!

Hi Peregrina2000.

We walked our camino on July 2011. I knew that there are some problems with finding right way. We have followed Rebekah Scott's guide from CSJ website (wery useful, thanks) and a plan, informations, pictures from http://www.santiago-compostela.net/salvador/en_sa02.html.
About arrows. Yellow steal arrows - they are wery helpful thanks for placed them especially in the mountains. But ones or two times we had doubts about which direct they point because they where moved by wind. We had to look out for mojon or another arrow.
I walked this route in 2008 and loved it. I wonder if you could comment on the arrows, because when I walked we got terribly lost on our way to Pajares and wound up on the highway instead of on the way to Poladura de la Tercia.
About the way to Pobladura de la Tercia: You perhaps missed your way on "second route divide" near second water hut :!: I think next time you will find it without any problems

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for those beautiful photos! It took me right back, reminded me why this is probably my favorite camino of them all!

Looks like you lost the trail before Puerto de Arbas, but no harm done... I got lost the same place the first time I did it, and the barbed wire ended up sending me to the health center in Pola de Lena for a tetanus shot. Still. I would do it again if it wasn´t snowing up there right now!

As for the question above, I put captions on a couple of the photos near where that turning is, perhaps it will help. I also found the Google maps feature on the right margin a real marvel, I wish I´d had that when I walked!

I walked this route last year, using the CSJ guide and did not get lost at all. I was blessed with good weather for the high places. I wouldn't fancy it alone and in poor visibility.

To anyone else who's heading for the Salvador -- putting together the pictures and some comments on the Spanish forum, I think the most important bit of advice on how to stay on the right track from Buiza to Poladura de la Tercia is miroslaw's comment about the "second water hut." There's a sharp turn there that we must have missed when I walked several years ago. I assume that Javier, Nieves, and I were babbling on and on about the beauty of that stretch and just kept on walking past the water hut without noticing the sharp turn. That took us into Rodiezmo, which in turn meant we had to ascend to the Puerto de Arbas on the very awful highway shoulder. I hope to correct that error in 2012! Thanks for all this help, buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Buen Camino pilgrims! I plan to walk the Del Salvador this summer, followed by the Primitivo, followed by the Portuguese (from Coimbra). What a summer I will have :) I am posting my current...
I will be walking the Norte starting at Bilbao later this month and am considering switching to the San Salvador after I get to Oviedo. I would be walking it in the reverse direction beginning...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.