• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fields of rocks

Time of past OR future Camino
frances
Walking along the CF I see so many of the farming fields are full of rocks. It seems to me they would be pretty tough on the equipment so I wonder if there is a good reason for leaving them in the fields.
1658522307341.png

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
They do act a bit like mulch keeping the water underneath and in their shade from evaporating as fast as in bare soil.

A couple of our daily walks in New England take us past corn fields where it looks like the pebbles in the picture you sent are the seeds for the Yankee rocks grown by the local farmers for use in their stone fences.

Most of Spain has poor soil, sandy and full of stones. Removing them is very labour - intensive, and ultimately fruitless as the earth will constantly bring fresh layers to the surface. Spanish farmers have learned to live with them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
They rise up to the surface with successive ploughings. In my part of Kent they used to collect the flint stones to build houses:

1658527275565.png

but then mass produced brick became available so you now see a bumper crop come up every year:

1658527754536.png

If the rocks constantly rise up to the surface and don't get removed then the rocks in my pic may have been there for many, maybe even hundreds, of years? Dang.

Walking along the CF I see so many of the farming fields are full of rocks. It seems to me they would be pretty tough on the equipment so I wonder if there is a good reason for leaving them in the fields.
possibly still there because it is impractical and uneconomic to remove them... and ploughing machinery can be hard-surfaced to better deal with abrasive soils.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
where was the picture taken, puttster?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is a job for an agriculturist. To improve soil like this, it can take generations. The only way to do it is to either remove the stones and /or add soil. To add soil, there has to be a place where top soil is not required, then move and spread it. The other option is to introduce plant matter, roll it in and allow it to compost, add to the soil that is there. This is one reason why fields will lay fallow, (unplanted with harvestable produce), for up to several years, so, when tilled again, all plant life is worked into the soil to add to its volume as well as increase nutrients. Adding manure and all other fertilizers is a given. Removing stones can be done by machinery but is specialized and expensive.

Mention was made that moisture may be retained under stones. Well, stones heat up, being solid, much faster than soil, so, any soil will dry out faster because of the rocks and stones.

This is a job for an agriculturist. To improve soil like this, it can take generations. The only way to do it is to either remove the stones and /or add soil. To add soil, there has to be a place where top soil is not required, then move and spread it. The other option is to introduce plant matter, roll it in and allow it to compost, add to the soil that is there. This is one reason why fields will lay fallow, (unplanted with harvestable produce), for up to several years, so, when tilled again, all plant life is worked into the soil to add to its volume as well as increase nutrients. Adding manure and all other fertilizers is a given. Removing stones can be done by machinery but is specialized and expensive.

Mention was made that moisture may be retained under stones. Well, stones heat up, being solid, much faster than soil, so, any soil will dry out faster because of the rocks and stones.
I agree with all, except the last sentence. Turning over largish stones in my field this morning, the soil underneath was definitely damper than that to the side. How labour intensive it would be to remove those in the picture and next year, more would be ploughed up.

The stones/rocks act as storage heaters. They bring heat into the soil and encourage growth. As I heard it.
Joe

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree with all, except the last sentence. Turning over largish stones in my field this morning, the soil underneath was definitely damper than that to the side. How labour intensive it would be to remove those in the picture and next year, more would be ploughed up.

Picture is one of several taken on the meseta among bean, wheat sunflower and other plants. I see what you're thinking - maybe they are put or kept intentionally, to keep the soil from blowing away in the wind.
Also, I wonder if the rocks add trace amounts of minerals to the soil every time it rains. Or like OBJ says, maybe they retain heat meseta gets into the 40s at night in June.
I find it hard to believe they cannot be removed with some pretty simple equipment -dozens of implements for this purpose can be seen with a simple search - so there must be a benefit of some kind.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, large, deep stone will maintain some moisture, not like in the Author supplied photo, purely due to their depth, inability of the Sun to heat the stone to that depth, but large stones are plow breakers and crops would work harder to find that moisture deeper down.

Agree, I don't have a plough, so no problem there, mainly grazing.
Yes, large, deep stone will maintain some moisture, not like in the Author supplied photo, purely due to their depth, inability of the Sun to heat the stone to that depth, but large stones are plow breakers and crops would work harder to find that moisture deeper dow

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back