• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fiesta in Santiago?

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I called to give Fernando my credit card number today so I could reserve a room and he said there was a big fiesta in Santiago... anybody have any information on this? I'm just curious what it is about. Seems to be several days long...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Annie

The 25th of July is the feast of St James the Patron Saint of Spain and of course the apostle whose memory has been the focus of Santiago de Compostela and the prilgrimage for many centuries.

The Spanish take both their saint and their celebrations very seriously and before, on and after the 25th July there are days of street parties, street entertainment, religious ceremonies, concerts - and on the vigil of the 25th - the evening of 24th July there is a service of Solemn Vespers in the Cathedral followed late in the evening at 11.30 by the "Burning of the Cathedral" - this year a magnificent sound, light and fireworks display attended by over 20,000 in the plaza outside the Cathedral. As well as fireworks etc they floated a huge and beautiful hot air balloon depicting the World above the square.

On the Sunday morning two processions begin - one from the Cathedral with the Archbishop, Chapter of Canons, the religious orders, the old orders of knights templar etc. This proceeds out one door of the church and goes round to the square to meet either the King or his representative and the all of the civic autorities with attendant representatives of the armed forces and so on. Church and State meet in front of the Cathedral and form one single procession. This then proceeds to the Cathedral for a full High Mass + botefumeiro.

Next year as a Holy Year the King himeself will attend. The Mass and other celebrations are televised on national Spanish television.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.