• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Figeac to Rocamadour by train

S

susiew

Hi this is my plan and suggestions are most welcome....

Saint Roch to Felzins 19km
Felzins to Figeac 10 km which will be a Sunday 7 th Sept and catch either 9.38 or 13.32 train to Rocamadour and spend the night there and return Monday 8th Sept to sleep in Figeac [ will there be an over load of tourists on a Sunday?]
or
Spend Sunday night in Figeac and catch early Monday 7.39 or 11.31 train to Rocamadour and train back 17.04 same day Monday. Sleep in Figeac.
Any suggestions for a reasonable sleep over/ gite/ convent

Thank you

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
[ will there be an over load of tourists on a Sunday?]

I've spent a lot of time in and around Rocamadour. Sundays were always pretty quiet, not everywhere opens in the town. September isnt too busy generally anyway for tourists.

If you're on foot then go for the earlier train, if I recall right the station is a bit of a trek from the old town.

Is there anything worth seeing on the way to Roc or just past it?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did the second option you describe.

Was nice to spend 2 nights in the same bed (small hotel) right on the river in Figeac. Enjoyed the entire day without any pack at all. Note that it's a few km from the train station to Rocamadour proper. A lovely stroll, flat and grassy.

It happened to be a Sunday in late September and Rocamadour was a nice scene of local families with kids dining outdoors with views of the castle complex, plus some tourists from father afield.

Not sure when you plan to do this or what the crowds might be like at other seasons.

Bill

Is there anything worth seeing on the way to Roc or just past it?

If you get the chance then the Padirac caves are incredible, not sure how to get there by public transport. The caves in La Cave are closer and interesting too. There's the Grotte des Merveilles too but never been.

There are some nice walks, one that is very popular goes from Rocamadour via the springs at Cabouy, Poumayssens and St Sauveur.

I love Rocamadour, one of my favourite places and possibly one of my favourite memories is going to the sanctuary with my then girlfriend. My little girl was "born" there although it took another three years for her to appear.

Hi this is my plan and suggestions are most welcome....

Saint Roch to Felzins 19km
Felzins to Figeac 10 km which will be a Sunday 7 th Sept and catch either 9.38 or 13.32 train to Rocamadour and spend the night there ...
Any suggestions for a reasonable sleep over/ gite/ convent

Thank you
susiew,

It you do decide to stay overnight in Rocamadour you can stay in the pilgrim albergue run by the Sœurs de Notre-Dame du Calvaire. It is open all year and they can accommodate 14 pilgrims. See their web for more info.

Also see this earlier post by Falcon citing several monasteries and convents along the route offering pilgrim accommodation.

Bon chemin and Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did the second option you describe.

Was nice to spend 2 nights in the same bed (small hotel) right on the river in Figeac. Enjoyed the entire day without any pack at all. Note that it's a few km from the train station to Rocamadour proper. A lovely stroll, flat and grassy.

It happened to be a Sunday in late September and Rocamadour was a nice scene of local families with kids dining outdoors with views of the castle complex, plus some tourists from father afield.

Not sure when you plan to do this or what the crowds might be like at other seasons.

Bill
Thank you all for your advise taken note of. I God willing hope to be in Rocamadour middle of Sept.....

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back