• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Film 'The Way' on tonight in uk!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I will be taping it I think - then i can force recalcitrant neo-pilgrims to watch it!o_O

Been there, got the tee-shirt, walked the walk ;)

Actually I've got it on DVD and like to watch the Castillano version with sub-titles. Can't understand why they gave Tom such a deep, gruff voice and and Jack a high, piping one.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will be taping it I think - then i can force recalcitrant neo-pilgrims to watch it!o_O
What do you have in mind? Persuading them to walk the Caminos too? Or would it be aversion therapy like in "A Clockwork Orange"? Must confess that it would be the second one for me. I much preferred the original Judy Garland version.

The Hero's Journey, described so well by Joseph Campbell, was well replicated by Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz.

Every solitary walker's journey is a push out, a striking out, and resistance to apathy, inertia, the horizontal. For some, the distance walk is resistance to depression.

For some, it is a God Walk. Others, a means to "walk it off," whatever it may be.

The movie The Way is a journey movie. For those of us who love a good journey, it's one of those classics. I don't feel derision to it. Rather, I view it sentimentally. Getting on YouTube and viewing everyone's travel movies is pretty great too, as well as looking at all the amazing photos here on Ivar's site.

Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
neo - new...
Yes, well known in my family for sitting them down to watch a pilgrim film whether they want to or not... Or telling my nieces to go on a Camino instead of a 'gap year experience'.
It can work tho' - two Americans were hoodwinked into thinking they were merely going on a rural Spanish cycling trip - now they have the Camino bug!!!:cool:
We also met a girl on the ferry to Spain who was a bit dithery about where to go - so we sent her to get a credencial...
All joking apart - going on a Camino/pilgrimage can seriously change your life and outlook. In mainland Europe they still send felons on pilgrimage (we met one) and on our last journey we met a kid on care who was cycling a Camino with her social worker - it could be a really good experience...
I really wish someone had chucked me a rucksack when i was an 'off the rails' kid....
Perhaps we should start a Camino Charity for troublesome teens/ex cons/lost souls...:)
I still haven't met anyone who has not learned something from the process - and most people end up with a dangerous addiction...:rolleyes:

I still haven't met anyone who has not learned something from the process - and most people end up with a dangerous addiction...:rolleyes:
Can't disagree with that! Walked my first camino 27 years ago and I am still at it - two Spanish caminos this year so far with a Welsh pilgrim way thrown in just to keep the feet busy :) And I keep changing my mind about the next one. "The Way" is entertaining enough and it is fun spotting familiar places but I just do not find it the deeply moving spiritual experience which so many of its fans rave about. Too mawkishly sentimental for my taste.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What do you have in mind? Persuading them to walk the Caminos too? Or would it be aversion therapy like in "A Clockwork Orange"? Must confess that it would be the second one for me. I much preferred the original Judy Garland version.
I didn't realise Judy Garland had walked the camino. Great news ;)

I didn't realise Judy Garland had walked the camino. Great news ;)

All the characters in "The Way" are based on the characters of "The Wizard of Oz". So Tom (in "The Way") is playing Judy Garland’s role in "The Wizard of Oz". But you knew that didn’t you ;):p?
Jill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Might just have to put the DVD on again tonight.
Though I think it's starting to wear out :oops:

Can't disagree with that! Walked my first camino 27 years ago and I am still at it - two Spanish caminos this year so far with a Welsh pilgrim way thrown in just to keep the feet busy :) And I keep changing my mind about the next one. "The Way" is entertaining enough and it is fun spotting familiar places but I just do not find it the deeply moving spiritual experience which so many of its fans rave about. Too mawkishly sentimental for my taste.

Cheers Bradypus ..I learned a new word " mawkish ".:)

I feel like every upload of The Way is a different cut of the movie. The trailer has images I don't remember from any of them. Saint Jacques...La Mecque is still my favourite camino-centred movie, and an honourable mention for The Way Back (2010) if only for Ed Harris' blue steel gaze.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Too mawkishly sentimental for my taste.
I agree - but still better than nothing...!
And i have never seen Saint Jacques...La Mecque - will look out for it...
Walking the Camino - 6 Ways was good too...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree - but still better than nothing...!
And i have never seen Saint Jacques...La Mecque - will look out for it...
Walking the Camino - 6 Ways was good too...

Saint-Jacques La Mecque is delightful in the road-film tradition. It follows a truly mixed group of pilgrims on a guided camino from Le Puy en Velay to Saint Jacques de Compostela. Included are two adult French brothers and a sister who hate each other yet who must walk together in order to receive their inheritance. As well two young French-born Arab boys also are on the camino believing mistakenly that it leads to Mecca. The scenery is great and the situations amusing. Any viewer who has been a pilgrim will recognize the depicted traits both good and bad of fellow pilgrims. Happily after all is said and done the final shot might be titled "...all you need is love!".

Amazon sells the DVD
of Saint Jacques La Mecque in French with English subtitles as well as the original book by Coline Serreau in French.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I bought a copy of Saint Jacques la Mecque from amazon uk. It is a French film, yes, but the copy I have been sent has no subtitles. None at all.
And unfortunately my French is not good enough to make it worth watching.
Does anyone want a copy without subtitles?

Try this one:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429052/?ref_=nv_sr_1
I think it's much better, more serious but also very funny at moments. It was watching this movie when I've heard about Camino for the first time.

EDIT: Oh, I see I was very late with posting this ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back