• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Filming the Camino De Santiago

mattamos1983

I am a Student in my final year at the University of Portsmouth, England. Me and my course mate plan to walk the Camino from Leon to Finisterre. Some time over easter. What are the festivities taking place during easter. While on the pilgrimage we plan to document our expriences, the people and places we encounter. Any information regarding filming or general info on the pilgimage itself would be very helpful.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
re: Filming El Camino

Hi mattamos1983,

Easter is a great time to visit Spain in general. In Spain, the Easter celebrations are so different to what I was used to from Norway. Each town (big and small) has processions and a lot of people in the streets. (see pictures in the “Easter in Spain” link below).

Regarding more info on El Camino and your topic "Film and the Camino" see links below. I have heard of a few film projects, you will find their links below. Other than that, a Google search is the only thing I can think of.

If anyone has heard of any other Pilgrim film projects, please let us know.

Some links:
- Ester in Spain
- http://www.csj.org.uk for general information on El Camino

On film and El Camino de Santiago:
- http://www.ozdocos.com/Stjames.htm
- DVD about the pilgrimage from Amazon.co.uk
- Google search

I hope this helps.

Welcome to Santiago!

Ivar

I'm going to bring a little Canon videocam on my walk.. I think sometimes a moving image is worth a thousand words ! (hopefully it will turn out well, have never brought one along on a trip before) :eek:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Filming the Camino

My name is Katie and i am planning to hike the Camino sometime in the near future with a buddy of mine. out original intentions to make the Trek were to shoot a Documentary on the Camino. Since i've started doing research i have fallen in love with the Camino. i feel so strongly about making the Journey i almost don't want to ruin it by being distracted by having to shoot a well thought out video. i have done some research and have not found much on there being any others films or any documentation on the actual Camino. I would love to hear your ideas or even to just encourage you on your journey.

i look forward to hearing from you!

Katie <><

Hi Katie, I carried a Canon Digital videocam and an ordinary Digital still camera. The pix and videos were not for professional use, but for recording memories etc and I am very happy that we did carry the extra load. Am having much fun editing and putting together stuff. iMovie is a fun tool. Listening and viewing moving image.. is.. well.. moving

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Filming

Katie
I agree with your latest ideas. It's really is an either / or decision whether to make a documentary or to walk the camino yourself. As with so much anthropology or filming of a 'real life' situation the observation changes the experience. Perhaps walking the camino first then going back and interviewing people on it in light of your experience may be a way to go
William

Yes, I would agree. The film the documentary would be in conflict (for me at least) in "doing" the Camino. One may be too involved in getting information down to fully experience the moment or be quiet in contemplation. However, I must say that recording images down for later reflection & sharing with my friends and supporters at home was a good thing. Often the Camino doesnt end in Santiago but some time later after one returns home. Even now, 2 weeks after coming home, when I am reviewing the images, I am reminded of situations and lessons learnt on the trail

Filming

Katie
I agree with your latest ideas. It's really is an either / or decision whether to make a documentary or to walk the camino yourself. As with so much anthropology or filming of a 'real life' situation the observation changes the experience. Perhaps walking the camino first then going back and interviewing people on it in light of your experience may be a way to go
William

I agree with the anthropology observation..how many generations after us will see so many unique perspectives?
What will be canon..what will be inspiring?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Regarding movies about El Camino I know only two of them:

Documentary ... you have a lot in youtube some are professional and most are amateur.

I have always thought that to make a good documentary about the camino has to be really difficult .... and you find many amateurs that look more like true professionals!!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back