• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Filters on library computers

peregrina2000

Staff member
I am now on the Levante, two weeks out, and have found that nearly every town has wifi, in bars, restaurants, hotels, sometimeseven in public plazas on a municipal server.

I brought an iPhone, which is great for Skyping home or answering short emails, but I just can´t write long passages on that tiny keyboard. Most every town of any size has a municipal library or casa de cultura with free internet and available computers.

BUT what I´ve found is that many of these computers have a filter that blocks access to blogger or blogspot or other commonly used sites. One librarian in a town a few days back told me the way around the problem. When you get on explorer, download google chrome. The filters don´t work on google chrome and you will have ready access to blogspot.

Buen camino! Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If local system administrators have set up application and internet site blacklists, that will be for a reason. If you defeat these measures as suggested here, you might find yourself unwelcome. I suggest that if these rules are put in place, it would be inappropriate behaviour to attempt to defeat them. Just as you might expect visitors to your home to respect the rules you put in place, you might respect the rules others have implemented as well.

Regards,

Wow, Doug,

If you read my post you would see that it was the librarian who told me to do it and how to do it. The Castilla-La Mancha computers are also programmed so that everything is wiped after every user, so the google chrome will be gone as well.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I did see that, and understand that the librarian might have had apparent authority.to suggest this workaround, just as a when one was a teenager, our friends might have apparent authority to use everything in their parents' home. That wouldn't have made raiding their parents' drinks cabinet with your friends okay.

I very much doubt the IT admin staff would agree with what the librarian is doing. If they were happy for Google Chrome or any other application to be used, they would load it and configure it themselves.

I also think your optimism about the computer being 'wiped' is misplaced. Malware you access or download won't wait to the end of a session to do its damage - that will have been done well beforehand in most cases. Wiping might ensure your privacy, and address running out of disk space on a shared computer, but it does not protect from malware.

As I said above, I understand that you might have felt that given the librarian told you about this work around, it was okay. I have a quite different perspective.

Regards,

I agree with Doug, just because ONE librarian told you about this workaround doesn't make it right as this person could have been wrong. If you enjoy free internet access please respect the security measures put in place for ALL users. Buen Camino, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
i guess you could try it but any IT manager worth his/her salt would employ filtering methods that were independent of the browser used and would also block the downloading of executable files. given that many Internet cafes are poorly managed you might be able to get away with your work around in some places but I wouldn't suggest it as a universal fix to your problem.

while you may have been given permission from the librarian, i also agree with Doug's sentiment. the most respectful way to solve your problem is to bring your own device (other than iphone - eg tablet or laptop) and use the frequently available wifi you have identified. that's obviously an impost on you though both on cost and weight.

i
Anniesantiago said:
librarian gave you permission
This is the easy way to analyse the circumstance, although the original post does not suggest permission was given, rather that a work around was pointed out. If you do analyse the problem this way, there is still a problem with the post. That is that the OP has no authority to give such permission, and to suggest that this is a legitimate workaround is inappropriate.

I agree with jastrace that there are likely to be better ways to implement site blacklists, but I would point out that the efficacy of the arrangements should not be an issue here. Let me try another analogy. If you knew a lock on a building door was broken or easily defeated, would this make it right for you to open the door and enter the building? I would hope most people here would agree that it isn't right. I don't see that this is any different.

Whichever way I look at this, the only way of doing this ethically would be to explicitly ask if the person has authority to allow you load and use another browser and if so ask for permission to do that. The alternative, as jastrace points out, is to bring your own device.

Yes.
You are right.
It is the easy, or rather simple way
Permission was implied.

If the caretaker of the broken lock door told me I could go in and I wanted to go in, I would go on in.
I wouldn't double triple check if he had authority.

But if you feel you should do that then of course, you should!
I wouldn't expect you to do otherwise.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Anniesantiago said:
If the caretaker of the broken lock door told me I could go in and I wanted to go in, I would go on in.
I wouldn't double triple check if he had authority.
Annie, you are right, we wouldn't do this, and in the circumstances Laurie found herself in, I think I might have taken it for permission as well. It's only when one has time to reflect on this that it becomes clearer that this might not be as simple as it seems.

If I am using a language other than the native language (using English in Spain) I get blocked at every turn, regardless of the innocence of my search parameters.
Filtering systems on computers drive me nuts. My experiences in China, Spain and Argentina are partly why I'm actively lobbying against any Government imposed filtering in Oz.

I agree with Annie.
Laurie got instructions from the librarian how to handle the library's computers. It's the librarians job to help people using their services.
Laurie is I think one of the nicest members of this forum, and has helped me a lot with inf about my camino. I'm glad Laurie got help at the library so she can continue to write her blog.
I'm in Madrid and will start walking tomorrow

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a quick update. Hope this helps others who may run into the same problem. Today I´m in Toledo, home of the mother lode of libraries of Castilla-La Mancha. I had no trouble accessing blogspot and other sites directly from the computer. I have recounted my experience to the librarian here (essentially telling her what I said in my first post on this thread) and she said a couple of things -- first, that the smaller libraries don´t have the most up to date programs and equipment; and second, that what the librarian recommended was perfectly appropriate.

I recognize that some of the critical emails may have had some valid concerns to express, but what was upsetting to me was the sanctimonious tone and the accusation that somehow I am disrespectful of Spain and its laws and customs.

I will leave it up to you guys to decide whether this workaround seems appropriate to you. Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie,

You continue to shine.
Your advice to me both through the forum pages and private messages has been invaluable.
The graciousness you have shown in this thread is a gift to us all.

Thank you.

Laurie,
I'm with you. Wish it was not just in spirit!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Laurie

I fully agree with kiwi-family and you are providing a most helpful, knowledgeable and balanced views on this forum. I can only compare you with sillydoll who was my guiding light during my first Camino, seems both you and her are on the Camino right now?

I brought an iPhone, which is great for Skyping home or answering short emails, but I just can´t write long passages on that tiny keyboard.

Maybe a bit late on your present Camino but there are workaround for us having difficulties with the tiny keyboard. I have a mini-keyboard. Cost US$25 and weight 110gm (lighter than the iPhone) with the mousepad, costs less and lighter without the mousepad. I use it on my androids but not sure if it can be used for the iPhone but can have bluetooth.

I do not pick and peck every word when I blog or email but use the inbuilt intelligent predictive word text, it has an ongoing memory of what you typed and which is not in its vast vocubalary e.g if the word peregrina2000 was typed it remembers the word and when you begin to type "pere" next time it offers to fill in the whole word "peregrina2000" for you with three alternatives next to it. Try it, it is amazingly clever and a great time saver.

The third alternative is to use voice, Siri is getting better, but there are many other apps on other platform evolving into better and better voice to text features. Make sure these are easily edited. You will be surprised how well these works.

It has helped my fat fingers and hope this helps others: and have a wonderful Camino.

Joe

Attachments

• Minikeyboard.JPG
    Minikeyboard.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 652
I don't know about blogger, but wordpress allows you to update your blog via email.

Rather than installing Chrome onto the library's computer, you could install a portable version of Chrome onto a usb drive, that way nothing is downloaded onto the computer itself.

jeffnd said:
I don't know about blogger, but wordpress allows you to update your blog via email.

Rather than installing Chrome onto the library's computer, you could install a portable version of Chrome onto a usb drive, that way nothing is downloaded onto the computer itself.

Blogger has this facility too

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
peregrina2000 said:
I recognize that some of the critical emails may have had some valid concerns to express, but what was upsetting to me was the sanctimonious tone and the accusation that somehow I am disrespectful of Spain and its laws and customs.

"Sanctimonious" is indeed the right word to use, and possibly also "hectoring" and "judgemental".

Very much enjoying reading your journey through Castille-La Mancha on http://levante2013.blogspot.co.uk/. In fact it has, for the moment, decided me on my next Camino, I hope in autumn 2014. I'll probably not go all the way from Valencia, much tho' I'd like to see the Calatravas that have almost bankrupted them. Think I'll go on the Madrid until a day or so past Segovia, then hop over to the Levante in time to catch the amazing-sounding Arévalo, and so to Zamora and the VdlP.

Re: Re: Filters on library computers

alansykes said:
peregrina2000 said:

"Sanctimonious" is indeed the right word to use, and possibly also "hectoring" and "judgemental".
The issue being addressed is an ethical question, not a matter of morality - sanctimonious is a completely inappropriate word in that context.

Further, there is no comment in the thread that supports the suggestion that this is about the laws and customs of Spain. I would make the same ethical judgement about using someone else's property irrespective of it being in Spain, Singapore or Sweden, and that is one should respect any constraints or limitations put in place by the owner or their legitimate representative.

Computing equipment is no different in this respect to any other property. What is different is that any damage is much more difficult to detect and rectify.

While it might be acceptable for the OP to consider that a librarian would be a legitimate authority in a specific library, clearly they are not so elsewhere, and the OP clearly is not an authority either. Taking her story as advice would seem to me unwise.

What might be a better approach would be to seek the approval of someone who is entitled to give permission to run non-approved applications.

Regard

Doug

alansykes said:
peregrina2000 said:

The issue being addressed is an ethical question, not a matter of morality - sanctimonious is a completely inappropriate word in that context.

Further, there is no comment in the thread that supports the suggestion that this is about the laws and customs of Spain. I would make the same ethical judgement about using someone else's property irrespective of it being in Spain, Singapore or Sweden, and that is one should respect any constraints or limitations put in place by the owner or their legitimate representative.

Computing equipment is no different in this respect to any other property. What is different is that any damage is much more difficult to detect and rectify.

While it might be acceptable for the OP to consider that a librarian would be a legitimate authority in a specific library, clearly they are not so elsewhere, and the OP clearly is not an authority either. Taking her story as advice would seem to me unwise.

What might be a better approach would be to seek the approval of someone who is entitled to give permission to run non-approved applications.

Regard

Doug

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
An interesting thought:
Definition:

1. troll

One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

dougfitz said:

Regard

Doug

Doug, if a librarian gives me permission to do something in a library, I consider him/her to be "someone who is entitled" to give such approval. If the librarian tells me I am allowed to use the toilets, I would not seek another higher authority just to make sure. If a librarian tells me I can take one of the maps on the front desk I would not second-guess his/her approval. If a librarian tells me how to make best use of their system, I will thank them for their assistance and take their advice.

I'm a real black-n-white person not given to situational ethics - I understand your concern, but just cannot agree with you on this one. I do not believe Laurie has done anyone a disservice (quite the opposite, in fact) by sharing information that was approved by someone with the authority to do so.

Likewise, I do not think you are being provocative for the sake of it - I suspect you hold dearly to the view which you are proposing. I just think you're going to find it's you-against-the-rest-of-the-world on this one.

Kiwi-family said:
dougfitz said:

Regard

Doug

Doug, if a librarian gives me permission to do something in a library, I consider him/her to be "someone who is entitled" to give such approval.

I just think you're going to find it's you-against-the-rest-of-the-world on this one.

No, Doug is not alone in that one. I think the main point here is that if one librarian has given permission to do this in his/her library it doesn't mean you can do it in all libraries you come across. SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back