• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Final advice on packing

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 Camino Portuguese and Primitivo
Hi all, I am in the final stages of packing my backpack and am after some last minute advice on gear.
I am walking from Le Puy to St Jean Pied de Port from end of August to end of September.
Do you think I will need gloves, long johns and warm hat?
Leightweight sleeping bag or silk liner?
Will a 200 wight long sleeve icebreaker and 150 wight icebreaker t shirt with ultralight fleece and gortex kneelenght coat be sufficient for rain/cold?
Do I need long pants, shorts and 3/4 pants ( zip offs don't fit me) or can I do without the shorts?
Would you take one of these silver emergency blankets?
I did not use a mobile phone on the Camino, felt safe as always people about. Would I need one for personal safety on the Voie du Puy?
Does anyone know if you can get miniature dictionaries in Le Puy?
Thanks heaps, regards, Gitti

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Gitti, the month of September in Southern France is wonderful and you will have a great Chemin. I don't think you will need Long Johns. The weather is always difficult to guess, but I would think a single hat would be all you need; no need for a warm one too. If weight and space is an issue, you will probably only need the silk liner, but I always would rather have my sleeping bag with them than not have it should the weather turn cold over night. Your cold weather gear you cited seems adequate for France.

Personally, I think you will have some very hot days also. Having a pair of shorts will be of use to you.

I can't say about the small dictionary. I suspect so because there always seems to be a book store in French towns.

Bon Chemin
Michel-Jean

it is tricky isn't it ... I am doing the same .. you just can't tell what the weather will be like!

As for the dictionary .. if Le Puy has a large supermarket then there will be a school children section, by the books and maps and stationery - and in there will be grammar and dictionaries, but from the French point of view and all pronunciation explanations and so on will be in French. You still have plenty of time to get a miniature dictionary from Ebay or Amazon ... if you need one you will most likely need one before you get to Le Puy I think :wink:

hope that helps - haven't been to Le Puy so don't know the supermarket situation.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you so muchfor your advice, it has definetely made me feel more at ease with my packing. Regards, Gitti. May be we will meet each other Br. David.

Oh no, I am in a final panic now with my pack weighing 7.5 kg without water, lunch and guidebook. I seems too heavy and I have been round and round in circles, there is nothing I feel I can take out.
Sleeping bag, gortex jacket, merino long sleeve, 3/4 pants, long pants, merino short sleeve, silk t shirt and lavalava to sleep in, 2 socks, 2 undies, 1 bra, light weight fleece. Shampoo/body bar, toothbrush and paste, sunblock/moisturiser, personal meds, sportsrub, first aid kit, sunhat, leggings, sandals, lace top( 120 gram luxury item for going out to dinner in), guidebook, camera charger, adaptor. The water, lunch and guide book will add another 1.5 kg. My pack is a Deuter 34 litre womens, weighs around 1.5 kg, sleeping bag weighs 500grams. I could take a silk liner instead???
I have weighed every item and gone for the lightest I could get. I am not including the gear I wear, shorts, shirt, bra, pants, socks, boots.
What do you think??? Gitti

Sounds pretty good Gitti -
rucksack and sleeping bag are 2k so items are 5k - 11lbs, and that includes a camera/charger and first aid kit? .. sounds reasonable to me ...
- don't know what a merino is but do the sleeves on the long-sleeved one roll up? if so perhaps you could drop the short sleeved one .. ermm .. most people put too much in their 1st aid kits (and you don't seem to have a repair kit of needles and threads and nappy pins and there is no mention of a corkscrew .. or napkin, or spoon or folding knife :| )

possibility ... if you are not a woman you could most likely drop the bras.

You need a vet packer like Sil on this one - I'm hopeless.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bro David is spot on. Ooooooh I know this problem only too well: see the current posting!

http://www.johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com/

I really believe with a sensible packing list it isn't what you take but the weight of what you take. I'd keep the sleeping bag and of course you need the rucksack. But more tooth paste can be bought along the way. Is this a giant bar of soap? How much shampoo is in the container? I take only one merino base layer and just pull the sleeves up. As for the first aid kit - I so understand the temptation but all you need is a needle, a little cleansing solution and a dressing. If you need to dress a blister/blisters you can patch it up and buy what you need along the way. You don't need scissors, tweezers, 6 different sizes of plasters and the rest of the stuff that creeps into our first aid kits! Same for sportsub and sunscreen - you can minimise quantities by working out exactly what you'll need or buying top ups on the way. You have two pairs of trousers and leggings + the tops you are taking. This is where your own personal choice rules - and with two daughters I know enough not to stray into this territory!

But I think you have done fantastially well achieving 7.5 kgs and no doubt you will bring this down even a little bit more if you wish. But I'm sure at that weight you will be ok when after a few days you get used to it.

Happy packing :)

John

Exactly - and Johnnie W is a walking vet (no, not that sort of vet :roll: ) hear him!

Gitti, I disagree a bit in that I think your pack is WAY too heavy if that is the weight without water.

Here's what you've packed:

Sleeping bag, gortex jacket, merino long sleeve, 3/4 pants, long pants, merino short sleeve, silk t shirt and lavalava to sleep in, 2 socks, 2 undies, 1 bra, light weight fleece. Shampoo/body bar, toothbrush and paste, sunblock/moisturiser, personal meds, sportsrub, first aid kit, sunhat, leggings, sandals, lace top( 120 gram luxury item for going out to dinner in), guidebook, camera charger, adaptor. The water, lunch and guide book will add another 1.5 kg. My pack is a Deuter 34 litre womens, weighs around 1.5 kg, sleeping bag weighs 500grams. I could take a silk liner instead???

I don't know what a lavalava is, but I'd drop the pajama outfit all together. Just sleep in your underwear like everyone else or let the merino or fleece do double duty as a sleep outfit.

Is your shampoo bar the Ligget's bar? If yes, it's small enough. If not, consider cutting it in half.
I'd be sure the toothpaste is a travel size.
You don't need sportsrub really. Or put a little in a smaller container.
You don't need a first aid kit in my opinion - just a couple of bandaids and a needle and a couple of alcohol wipes. Anything you need, you can buy on the road.
If you are taking a sunhat, why do you REALLY need sunscreen?
Leggings? Are those like long underwear? If yes, take them, if not dump them.
You won't need the lace top - people go to dinner in their travel clothes.
Your sleeping bag is heavy... Joe took a $39 lightweight fleece liner and was toasty.
Rethink it a bit?

Hope this helps.
My pack weighs in at 12 pounds right now without water.
You only need ONE change of clothes.
Good luck!
See you on the road.

Edited: Also, I promise you that once you're on the Camino, you will happily leave behind those things you don't need... there are free boxes all the way... people who pack too much. Cheaper to just dump it than ship it home.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will assume that out of those clothes you are taking, some will be worn and some will be carried. If so, then the weight seems appropriate. I have decided that what I wear is not what I am carrying, therefore the rucksack with the rest of the stuff is the net weight.
Lillian

Hi to all of you and thank you so much, I will use the silk liner instead and I wil take out the leggings and the lace top and the sleeping gear and prune down my first aid kit. That should save close to the water weight. Regards, Gitti

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back