• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finalizing plans - any Paris experts?

Brian E

Time of past OR future Camino
May/ 2018
May 2019
Sept 2019
So I am buying the last of my equipment, transportation, hotels, etc. for a May/June 2018 Camino. All I am really left with is the question of getting in late and staying at a hotel in CDG airport and then fly to Biarritz the next morning OR get in early and head to Paris for a day and still do the short flight to Biarritz the following day.

My question is if given around 12 hours would it be worth it to check out Paris and could I basically see and/or visit a lot (Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, etc.)? I have never been to Paris so not sure the logistics and how big it is or easy to get around and all that fun stuff.

Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Since you may be visiting Paris before beginning your pilgrimage here are two Parisian accommodations sponsored by religious groups; the Frères Aveniat and the Benedictine Sisters of the Sacred Heart at the basilica of Sacre Coeur.

For secular accommodation in Paris have you tried CouchSurfing, AirBnB or searched Hostelworld for individual rooms?

Do scan these earlier Forum threads for much more about pilgrim sites in Paris and the camino within Paris.

When on the parvis or place facing the Notre Dame cathedral below you underground lie Roman ruins and visible to your right across the Seine begins the medieval rue Saint Jacques which pilgrims followed to leave the city; walk it a bit and ponder history.

Take a deep breath, relax and just enjoy it! As an American who has lived 35+ years in France both in Paris and Champagne for me as Thomas Jefferson wrote “a walk about Paris will provide lessons in history, beauty, and in the point of life.”

Bon Chemin and Buen Camino!

PS. A good way to see a lot of Paris quickly is to take a bus tour. Check this web for various possibilities/prices.
http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/paris-bus-tours-best/

PPS Check this web for how to easily/cheaply travel from CDG airport to downtown Paris.
https://www.paristoolkit.com/airport/paris_cdg_bus.htm

Last edited:
With just 12 hours you may want to consider one or more highlight tours for English speakers. Then on your return trip you could go back and visit your favorite sights in more depth.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Personally, I would use that time to rest and hydrate. You'll have some jet lag you might want to sleep off before you start your 500 mile pilgrimage. That's my take.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
12 hours is not a lot of time to clear customs and then get metro to central Paris and do much in the way of sightseeing.
You still have to be back the CDG and go back through security and get to your gate. CDG can be a challenge so you would not want to cut your time short.

I assume you could just carry your backpack and not have to store anything. Pickpockets are very clever and numerous in Paris as they are in most big European cities.

You may have time to start at Notre Dame and walk up the Champs to the Arc de Triumph. You can see the Eiffel Tower from there.
Both Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower now have long time consuming lines so going inside would be a problem.

Margaret has given brilliant advice on Paris. I just don't think 12 hours is enough time to organize it and get back to your flight.
You could do a quick scout of the area on the way to St. Jean and then use Margaret's suggestion on the way home.

Brian,
We flew to CDG Paris on Iceland Air and were completely whipped by the time we got there. We stayed at an Accor hotel right there at the airport and slept off the jet lag. Against all advice, we got off the plane, took the little airport train to our hotel, checked in and slept until supper. We got up and walked over to a hotel restaurant which had the best and only french ice cream I have ever eaten with my meal. We went back to the hotel and crashed again, but awoke in time to eat a big breakfast at the hotel and then catch our early morning plane to Barritz from CDG.

I have lived in New York City and I have visited Paris, Berlin, etc. when younger and I felt we needed the rest far more than we needed to see another big city. We felt much better the next day and spent one more night in SJPDP before tackling the Pyrenees crossing.

It is a big decision if you've never seen Paris, but do listen to your body. When you get there you can always change your mind and plans as long as you don't pay up front for something...
Janet

I vote for seeing Paris.

I assume you arrive in the morning or at least by 11AM. Splurge a little and take the bus from the airport to the Gare (station) Montparnasse. Find a hotel or room near there. Sight-see the rest of the afternoon - maybe the bus tour. Have lunch in a resto that meets your fancy. If you feel exhausted, take a short nap and get up and walk some more - to the Eiffel Tower or Notre Dame. Or you can use the excellent Metro system to easily and cheaply visit these sites.

The next morning catch a train from the Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne and then the connecting train to SJPdP. This cuts out the time and expense of going back to CDG or to the other Paris airport, Orly. French trains are extremely comfortable and you can see the vistas of France from your window as you make your way south to begin your Camino. If purchased in advance French train tickets offer excellent value.

Unfortunately, the Gare Montparnasse is not close to either of the lodging possibilities recommended by mspath. You could use the Metro to get to/from either place, but staying close to the station means that you just have to walk over and there's no anxiety about getting on a crowded morning subway train with your backpack and making sure you get off at the correct stop. At the station buy a sandwich, snacks, and beverages to eat and drink on the train.

There is a whole section on this forum about how to get from Paris to SJPdP. Check it out, but in my opinion, train has worked best. PM me if you'd like more info about how to book the train or research yourself using the search tool on this site.

Good luck and buen camino!

Tom

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Upon arrival to CDG in May, we stood in line for nearly 2 hours just waiting to clear passport control - that doesn't count the time it took to navigate the airport and get luggage. I was shocked at how long it took and how long the lines were, which might not always be the norm, but I had the impression it wasn't that out of the ordinary. Getting a taxi for four of us and too much luggage was another fiasco that a pilgrim traveling light wouldn't have.:rolleyes: That being said, Paris is a beautiful city to visit and a stroll along the Seine is a memorable experience. Rome2Rio shows it's a 45 minute train ride from the airport to near Notre Dame. See if the timing all works out for you. Buen Camino!!!

I agree fully with Tom above. Book a hotel near Montparnasse, and then book a train from Montparnasse to Bayonne the next day.

On arrival at the airport, catch the "Line 4 Bus Direct" from CDG-Montparnasse and dump your stuff at your hotel (https://www.lebusdirect.com/lignes-horaires/ligne-cdg-aeroport-paris-gare-montparnasse.html), before heading off on your petite aventure parisienne!

Montparnasse is pretty central, but if you decide to take the metro you can buy single tickets from the machines for €1.90, or a "carnet" of 10 tickets for €14.50, which allow you to travel on metros, buses, funiculars. However I'd recommend keeping it simple: Paris is a city to be savoured, the home of the "flâneur" - and what are you going to remember more, seeing the Eiffel Tower, like millions of other tourists, or that tiny hole-in-the-wall cafe in the Marais, where you sat for hours, people-watching as you sipped your cafe and nibbled on your croissant? ;)

When you've tired yourself out you can head back to your hotel, and you can sleep soundly knowing you've booked a train at a sane hour, and that the train leaves from a couple of streets away from your hotel. The trip to Bayonne only takes 3h55 - and if you're still tired and jet-lagged you can have a little siesta on the way...

Paris in 12 hrs?! NO! You could easily spend that amount of time in the Louvre or sitting at a cafe drinking a kir people watching! I love Paris first experienced it on a high school trip went back in college for a yr went back again several years later. I could visit many more times and never see or experience the beauty of Paris enough. My suggestion rest sleep hydrate etc before you walk 500 miles. I would take a few days at the end of your trip and experience a little of Paris. Take the bateau mouche down the Seine for a nice tour or as suggested a bus tour for highlights. Then pick a few and experience them in depth. Spring in Paris nothing more beautiful! Enjoy! Learn a little French politeness always helps! Bon Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you already bought the air ticket from Paris to Biarritz, I recommend taking a room at or near the airport, one with free shuttle service back to the airport. Get there first, stash your gear, and reassess your situation. Figure out if you have enough time to head into Paris on the Metro or TER.

IF AFTER YOU ARRIVE and determine you have enough time, you might consider heading into the center of Paris, then picking up one of those hop on hop off tour buses. This will allow you to see all the highlights of Paris from the comfort of a bus. It takes only an hour or two.

You can use the provided guide and map (on the bus) to determine those sites you would like to return to see. While you CAN hop off the bus to see a place, then catch another bus onward, consider waiting and security times to get into most of the popular destinations, as well as waiting for the next bus. I use these buses to get a good "once over" assessment of any new city. I find it an efficient use of my time.

12 Hours is NOT enough time to visit Paris. But, it is IMHO enough time to SEE the best bits of tourist Paris if from a coach / bus.

I would rely on MSPATH's observations and recommendations above, unless you discovered a better idea. I lived 3.5 hours away by car in adjacent Belgium for two years and would frequently drive into Paris with visiting family and friends. So, I have been there a few dozen times. But MSPATH is THE expert on most all things French.

Also, if your schedule finds you in Paris at dusk or after dark, head for the river Seine tour boats. These buses provide a narrated tour of the sights lining the Seine in downtown Paris. In my experience, most start and end at the river just adjacent to the Eiffel Tower. BEWARE THE TOUTS AND PICKPOCKETS! You can take le Metro or the TER trains to get near to the staring /ending place. After the tour, best done at night IMHO, you can take the metro or another train back to the airport and your hotel. This is helped if your airport hotel has a regular free shuttle service. You can train back to the airport and have your hotel pick you up.

As others have said, this is NOT the best way to see Paris. But all things considered, it may be the easiest and safest. It also has you staying close to your departing flight the next morning. Allow extra time for airport security... If they tell you to come 90 minutes ahead of time ADD AN HOUR. Missing a flight or train is no way to start a Camino...

Lastly, if you HAVE NOT ALREADY BOUGHT the second segment ticket to Biarritz, go with the above recommendations and head from the airport to the Gare Montparnasse area. As others have suggested, reserve a room there. Take the TGV the next morning from Gare Montparnasse. Reserved seats are required. So , I recommend either buying your tickets ahead of time (www.raileurope.com) or heading over to the station as soon as you check into your hotel room to buy them the night before. This avoids delays and a final rush the next morning. Be sure to allow time for security screening at the train station as well.

Then, after you have ensured how to get out of Paris the next morning, pick up seeing Paris using the hop on / off coach and river boat tours, as feasible.

Enjoy!

I hope this helps.

Lots of good and correct info here. I'd also like to add that 12 hours is a very short time. I did the same stop in Paris when I did my first Camino a few years ago. I hadn't been to Paris for about a decade and was surprised by how many tourists there were. Paris (like a lot of cities in Europe such as London, Barcelona and others) is being loved to death by travelers like us. I was lucky enough to spend a few days in Paris and it's worth the time. But don't be disappointed if you run into crowds and long waiting lines. That really reduces the already short time that you have. I'd very much agree with those that suggest a quick tour of the highlights.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Generally, with the above scenario, the more you can plan, reserve and ticket before you leave home, the better. HOWEVER, and this is a BIG BUT, with only 12-hours, you do not have a lot of time for 'oopsies.' A delayed arrival, crowded customs hall, or any manner of popular French "wildcat" strikes on transportation systems can totally screw you up.

In this case, I counsel that less is more...and build in maximum flexibility too. Remember, Murphy has a French cousin, and he/she is REALLY good, and is fond of messing with tourists.

You could always take a rain-check and see Paris when you are not on a constrained schedule. That would be inherently more relaxing, at least IMHO. To me, arriving at my Camino jump-off point in a relaxed manner is very important.

I hope this helps.

So I am buying the last of my equipment, transportation, hotels, etc. for a May/June 2018 Camino. All I am really left with is the question of getting in late and staying at a hotel in CDG airport and then fly to Biarritz the next morning OR get in early and head to Paris for a day and still do the short flight to Biarritz the following day.

My question is if given around 12 hours would it be worth it to check out Paris and could I basically see and/or visit a lot (Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, etc.)? I have never been to Paris so not sure the logistics and how big it is or easy to get around and all that fun stuff.

Thanks!
If you have never been to Paris, maybe a 12 hr stint might be worth the extra expense. However, in '16 we did a week in P after the Camino F and it still wasn't enough time.

Another thing occurred to me. You may not be admitted to some of the iconic spots with much more than a phone and a camera. You might be able to check a bag somewhere but if not you may have been waiting in line for quite awhile. If you are notified upon getting in line you will save the wait time but still have lost the travel time. Check in advance.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Thanks!

Hi Brian,

I am NOT an expert. I had the luxury of two nights in Paris, and taking the high speed train to Hendaye (30 minutes past Biarritz). The train was delightful, with no security, comfortable seats, easy access from central Paris, and a convenient schedule.

I picked one thing I really wanted to see in Paris - the Louvre - and focussed most of my day on that. After, I took a Bateau Mouche along the Seine, got off at Notre Dame and walked through the back roads on the left Bank back towards the Eiffel Tower.

A couple of observations:
1) Accessing any tourist destination in Paris will require clearing security. Depending on the time of day and year, the wait can be substantial. This was true at Notre Dame, the Louvre, and Eiffel Tower.
2) There are several companies that do boat tours (Bateau Mouche). Take one that has a double deck, and sit on the top deck. The single decks are too low, and you can't see much beyond the banks. Many of the famous landmarks in Paris are located on the banks of the Seine, or nearby, and I happen to be very partial to boat rides, so this worked well for me.
3) Wandering around the City on foot is really delightful - you have a decent chance of stumbling across really cool nooks and crannies that aren't in tourist brochures, and possibly views of famous landmarks that aren't well known. I approached the Eiffel Tower from a small side street, and thus my first view point was framed by trees and buildings - something I had never seen in the photographs of Paris, making it a very unique experience

If you do go to Montparnasse, the 96 bus route is a good one to get around. It takes you up to the river, across to the Ile de la Cite, to Notre Dame and on to le Marais.

Here's the Paris bus map, which might be of use to you

https://www.ratp.fr/en/plans-lignes/plan-des-bus

Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions. After further thought and research I decided to fly in late to CDG and just rest, relax, focus and prepare for the Camino since that should be the priority.

I would want to enjoy Paris and not feel rushed or conflicted on what things to see and do so with such limited time that would be hard (and that is assuming everything goes well as far as flight times, customs, lines, etc.)

Thanks again,
Brian

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Of course you should take the opportunity to spend twelve hours in Paris. Just a thought though, have a look at some of the slightly less spectacular sites and benefit from smaller crowds and save some money too. Someone else has mentioned the Bateau Mouche river trips which give an excellent overview of the centre. La Defense has spectacular modern architecture (something I never thought I'd like) and I just love the Marais district and the Place des Vosges (good places for lunch). I'd Google the suggestions you are given to while away some evenings and make your own choices. Oh, and please consider the stunningly beautiful Sainte Chappelle which has redently been cleaned so is even better. Paris is a small city so much can be done on foot which keeps you close to the local atmosphere but try to choose things to do and see that are fairly close together or you will spend too much time travelling. Above all enjoy a wonderful city.

Thanks!

My best suggestion is to get a hotel with transport service to and from CDG. The 7th district would be best or somewhere near. I will be on the Camino beginning June 5th. I have chosen to arrive at CDG early in the AM then fly directly to Biarritz and train to SJPP. Whatever you do, whatever choice you make, it will all be great!!! -Gigi

Thanks!
My wife and I will fly from NJ USA to Paris, Biarritz, train to Bayonne, to Saint Jean PP just for One day on May, 2018 (already booked air and trains). Better complete it all One day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I saw some of the earlier posts and was fearful of posting something on the negative side, but frankly Paris in 12 hours is impossible. As a frequent visitor, I can't even get comfortable there after 3 or 4 days. My first time in Paris was at Christmas time in the early 80's, it was still "Paris" then; today I am sorry to say it is a city-like museum flooded by tourists wall to wall. As some suggested, taking one of the tourist buses that offers on and off options is the best way to see Paris for the first time unless you are with a Parisian. After doing that you can decide whether to return.

Thanks!
Better take different ways either for Travel or for Pilgrim. So this time you better take for Pilgrims.

Thanks!
Brian
I am traveling in Aug by Norwegian Air into CDG.
The time to get off the plane go through Customs and get to the part of the Terminal where Easy Jet departs from to Biarritz was simply not enough time.
I found a hotel IN the CDG terminal .. you can walk to it.
It is called Ibis Paris CDG Airport.
Make sure U read about walking within the terminal. There are ALOT of Ibis hotels.
I figure I can take my time and decide if I want to take in a sight prior to my 17:25 departure from CDG to Biarritz.
Good Luck
SLOChick

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Since you may be visiting Paris before beginning your pilgrimage here are two Parisian accommodations sponsored by religious groups; the Frères Aveniat and the Benedictine Sisters of the Sacred Heart at the basilica of Sacre Coeur.

For secular accommodation in Paris have you tried CouchSurfing, AirBnB or searched Hostelworld for individual rooms?

Do scan these earlier Forum threads for much more about pilgrim sites in Paris and the camino within Paris.

When on the parvis or place facing the Notre Dame cathedral below you underground lie Roman ruinsand visible to your right across the Seine begins the medieval rue Saint Jacques which pilgrims followed to leave the city; walk it a bit and ponder history.

Take a deep breath, relax and just enjoy it! As an American who has lived 35+ years in France both in Paris and Champagne for me as Thomas Jefferson wrote “a walk about Paris will provide lessons in history, beauty, and in the point of life.”

Bon Chemin and Buen Camino!

PS. A good way to see a lot of Paris quickly is to take a bus tour. Check this web for various possibilities/prices.
http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/paris-bus-tours-best/

PPS Check this web for how to easily/cheaply travel from CDG airport to downtown Paris.
https://www.paristoolkit.com/airport/paris_cdg_bus.htm
Do you have any further information about the Benedictine Sisters of the Sacred Heart? I have been trying to reach them via email fro two weeks to try to make a reservation in their guesthouse. No response. I am wondering if anyone knows a secret about making contact.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back