Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.

Finally finished "live" blog of the Via de la Plata

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

CaroleH

Year of past OR future Camino
VdlP 2006, Portugues 2007;Madrid 2009, Finisterre 2009; Sur and VdlP 2011,2013; Manchego and Madrid 2014; VdlP (parts) 2016; Hospitalero plan 2017.
Hi Andrew,
Sorry about your ankle. :cry: Am amazed at the distances you travelled each day...... did you have a very limited time ? Great photos. Thanks for sharing. Buen camino. Carole

Andrewere

No there was no deadline. I think that by chance most of the other pilgrims that I started with were comfortable with long distances, ie between 30 and 50 kms. One is a Spanish lady in her 60's who runs marathons. She had a 5 kilo pack (no sleeping bag etc) and was a very fast walker. Another is a professional cyclist. Nearly all were fit, experienced walkers. We never really worried about the distances though. It was what we were comfortable with.

A couple of inexperienced walkers tried too keep up and encountered foot/leg problems. Sadly, they both went home. I guess if you are new to the Camino you can be influenced by those around you and they might have left thinking the whole thing is madness? Loneliness can also be a factor and I think the Camino Frances might be a better Camino for the less experienced?

The Vdlp can be a tough walk and some of the distances are unavoidable if you want to spend the night in a half decent town or any town at all. But most of the time we chose to walk those distances.
MY ankle problem wasn't connected to any of the above. I just twisted it on rocky ground and aggravated an old injury.

I can't complain - I had a great time, met some wonderful people, the sun shone for most of the 18 days and I learned a little more about myself.

Andrew, Salisbury UK.

http://spanishfootsteps.blogspot.com/

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances