• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finally finished my Packing List - 3.700g - Full Comfort (for me at least)

Anhalter

Time of past OR future Camino
2019 CF, 2022 CF
This feels like i finally finished my Magnus Opus...
For the last 3 years since i returned home from my first Camino Frances I have been "Theorycrafting" my perfect packing list.
Next Friday I'll leave for Saint Jean and I am almost finished. A handfull of things are still missing, but i got some weights from the internet and rounded up a bit.

Initially i was aiming for 3,5kg. In the end i decided to take a few extra items for added comfort.

I wanted to share it with you guys. Reading this forum helped lifting my spirits more than once and maybe it will be of help to someone.

I have to to put in one word of caution: some items are very expensive. Some can be swapped with little loss for budget items, but some can't without significantly adding to the weight (which is a problem, because tha pack is not ment to carry heavy loads).

Now, let's talk details:

Clothing:
Most clothing is just regular hiking clothing. Some merino wool, some synthetic. The Arcteryx jacket is pricey, but every other softshell jacket works likely as well. The rainjacket is very expensive, but the lightest one on the market. There is a valid alternative sold at Decathlon coming in at ~180g and a fraction of cost called FH900. The rain skirt is very practical, light and cheap. Sold at aliexpress.
The "finger socks" are an experiment and not really needed. The gloves are nice for walking in the morning or even in the rain (...when using poles)

Toiletries:
Not much here. Mostly stuff sold at the local pharmacy, sometimes filled in a smaller container. Most of it is not meant to last the whole 4-5 weeks, but there are plenty of shops in spain.
The towel is a bit of an experiment, i might end up buying a bigger one.

First aid:
I chose to pack only for minor incidents. Everything bigger, i likely wouldn't know what to do anyways. So i can either patch things up and get to the next pharmacy, or call myself an ambulance.
I can't recall hurting myself seriously in my entire adult life, and not for lack of trying. I know there is a chance, but i deem it little and in the end it comes down to risk management.

Hardware:
The backpack is one of the most expensive items. Extremely light, very waterproof (no liner needed, but everything inside is in another waterproof container), rather sturdy for its weight and frameless. The pack body weighs in at around 270g, adding the hip belt with pockets, a shoulder pouch for my phone and another for a water bottle plus a folded 1,75m x 0,5 x 2mm EVA matress brings it to around 475g. Yep, i got a yoga mat with me (of sorts). Oh, and a little cork ball for rolling out my feet when I feel like it. And my trusty knife that even has a corkscrew. I'm not going to miss out on the wine.
Unfortunately there are not many lightweight and affordable alternatives for the backpack.

Electronics:
Could have been significantly lighter. But I need to be reachable from home and office and even might have to take some extended calls. Hence the rather heavy phone case and extra headphones.
The wallet is a masterpiece (unfortunately discontinued) and i have been using it for 3 years now. 8g by itself, with my cards, ID and around 250€ cash it comes in at 40g.

Sleep:
Unfortunately another thing where price translates into comfort. I carry a 240g down sleeping bag that has a full zipper and can be opened like a blanket. Most nights i need more warmth than a liner will give me and i don't want to use the blankets. Budget options come in at at least twice the weight.

Vices:
Unfortunately i have a nictoin addiction and carry a lightweight electronic cigarette with fluid and replacement parts. Best if you don't need that stuff

So, have fun with my list. Hope it helps a person or two. If anything is not clear, or if you feel i did not sufficiently think everything thru, let me know :)

edit: 3.700g of course is the weight of the packed backpack without consumables. Cloth I'm wearing, water and snacks comes on top of that.

Attachments

• Packliste 2022.PNG
    Packliste 2022.PNG
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,111
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The best that I can get it down to is 10 kg, so I take my hat off to you for getting down to so little. Well done! I’m sure I’ll be dumping stuff along the way once I get there and start walking, as I’ve done every other time 😊
Happy walking to you, with your featherweight backpack.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For the last 3 years since i returned home from my first Camino Frances I have been "Theorycrafting" my perfect packing list.
Next Friday I'll leave for Saint Jean and I am almost finished. A handfull of things are still missing, but i got some weights from the internet and rounded up a bit.

Initially i was aiming for 3,5kg. In the end i decided to take a few extra items for added comfort.

I wanted to share it with you guys. Reading this forum helped lifting my spirits more than once and maybe it will be of help to someone.

I have to to put in one word of caution: some items are very expensive. Some can be swapped with little loss for budget items, but some can't without significantly adding to the weight (which is a problem, because tha pack is not ment to carry heavy loads).

Now, let's talk details:

Clothing:
Most clothing is just regular hiking clothing. Some merino wool, some synthetic. The Arcteryx jacket is pricey, but every other softshell jacket works likely as well. The rainjacket is very expensive, but the lightest one on the market. There is a valid alternative sold at Decathlon coming in at ~180g and a fraction of cost called FH900. The rain skirt is very practical, light and cheap. Sold at aliexpress.
The "finger socks" are an experiment and not really needed. The gloves are nice for walking in the morning or even in the rain (...when using poles)

Toiletries:
Not much here. Mostly stuff sold at the local pharmacy, sometimes filled in a smaller container. Most of it is not meant to last the whole 4-5 weeks, but there are plenty of shops in spain.

First aid:
I chose to pack only for minor incidents. Everything bigger, i likely wouldn't know what to do anyways. So i can either patch things up and get to the next pharmacy, or call myself an ambulance.
I can't recall hurting myself seriously in my entire adult life, and not for lack of trying. I know there is a chance, but i deem it little and in the end it comes down to risk management.

Hardware:
The backpack is one of the most expensive items. Extremely light, very waterproof (no liner needed, but everything inside is in another waterproof container), rather sturdy for its weight and frameless. The pack body weighs in at around 270g, adding the hip belt with pockets, a shoulder pouch for my phone and another for a water bottle plus a folded 1,75m x 0,5 x 2mm EVA matress brings it to around 475g. Yep, i got a yoga mat with me (of sorts). Oh, and a little cork ball for rolling out my feet when I feel like it. And my trusty knife that even has a corkscrew. I'm not going to miss out on the wine.
Unfortunately there are not many lightweight and affordable alternatives for the backpack.

Electronics:
Could have been significantly lighter. But I need to be reachable from home and office and even might have to take some extended calls. Hence the rather heavy phone case and extra headphones.
The wallet is a masterpiece (unfortunately discontinued) and i have been using it for 3 years now. 8g by itself, with my cards, ID and around 250€ cash it comes in at 40g.

Sleep:
Unfortunately another thing where price translates into comfort. I carry a 240g down sleeping bag that has a full zipper and can be opened like a blanket. Most nights i need more warmth than a liner will give me and i don't want to use the blankets. Budget options come in at at least twice the weight.

Vices:
Unfortunately i have a nictoin addiction and carry a lightweight electronic cigarette with fluid and replacement parts. Best if you don't need that stuff

So, have fun with my list. Hope it helps a person or two. If anything is not clear, or if you feel i did not sufficiently think everything thru, let me know :)

edit: 3.700g of course is the weight of the packed backpack without consumables. Cloth I'm wearing, water and snacks comes on top of that.
Super helpful post. Thank you!!!

I started my first Camino in 2019 with a b/p-weight just over 5kg, not doing it superlight on purpose.

So, Kudos to you for a very minimalistic but all in all nice packing-list.

BC
Roland

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Which model 10L Decathlon backpack did you get? I haven't been able to identify it on the website.

i think i got an older version, but the new one should work just as well.

Now, let's talk details:

Clothing:

Toiletries:

First aid:

Hardware:

Electronics:

Sleep:

Vices:

I’m an amateur light packer. Only doing Tui to Santiago and kept mine to 3.5 kg. Love this list. Jealous of the backpack weight. And the rain jacket.

Got the last items, changed out the Atom LT Jacket for the Atom SL Jacket since the weather forcast ist rather nice. I might end up needing to buy a thin fleece for added warmth later, but i guess as long as i don't want to sit outside at below 10°C for extended periods i should be plenty warm.

That brings me down another 118g to a total weight of pretty much 3.600g.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Really impressed! You mentioned a hip belt. Does it connect with the pack to get the weight off your shoulders or is it a separate system?

Really impressed! You mentioned a hip belt. Does it connect with the pack to get the weight off your shoulders or is it a separate system?
It does attach to the pack, but it is an optional item. It does transfer some weight, but not to be compared with what a hipbelt of a framed pack can achieve.
For me it is a mix of transferring weight, stopping movement of the pack, and having additional pockets. With the weight i am carrying it is not really needed.

€46,-
I started my first Camino in 2019 with a b/p-weight just over 5kg, not doing it superlight on purpose.

So, Kudos to you for a very minimalistic but all in all nice packing-list.

BC
Roland
3.5 is exceptional but 5kg is good. Mine was between 5.5-6kg including some water, albeit without a sleeping bag, which in future I will not forsake. Running of the veritable 'smell of an oily rag'. I used everything, and lacked nothing except a air of running shorts that I will in future include (to wear while washing my clothes). Sacrifices have to be made!

Now, let's talk details:

Clothing:

Toiletries:

First aid:

Hardware:

Electronics:

Sleep:

Vices:

Nice to see someone else who wears Wrightsocks on the Camino. They’re excellent. I bought mine in the US years ago. I’m now in the UK and the shipping charges from the US are really high. Have you found a place to buy them in Germany? I’m testing 1000 Mile socks at the moment but they’re not as good as the Wrightsocks.

Nice to see someone else who wears Wrightsocks on the Camino. They’re excellent. I bought mine in the US years ago. I’m now in the UK and the shipping charges from the US are really high. Have you found a place to buy them in Germany? I’m testing 1000 Mile socks at the moment but they’re not as good as the Wrightsocks.
Several stockists - even Amazon.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Try leftsock.co.uk their website says free delivery on two pairs or more
Thanks. Unfortunately they’re out of stock of the socks I’m looking for. I have heard from Wrightsock HQ in NC and they’re hoping to sign an official UK distributor this year. So, maybe new socks for the Norte in 23!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.