• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finally I saw The Way

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Finished: See post signature.
Doing: C. Levante
They had added The Way to Netflix so I saw it tonight. It wasn't much of a movie and it was quite irritating when the stops were in the wrong order BUT the infection the camino bug has given me bloomed out in its full power. The longing back to those roads, charging camino meals and sleep in dormitories with strangers. My god I miss it so much that it brought me into tears. How can I explain to someone who hasn't been there?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
[...]The longing back to those roads, charging camino meals and sleep in dormitories with strangers. My god I miss it so much that it brought me into tears. How can I explain to someone who hasn't been there?
You can't!:( Your experiences cannot be repeated, they were unique at the time. Like the Camino of life, there is no going back, only memories remain. Thus there will be changes in the future, hopefully positive;)

They had added The Way to Netflix so I saw it tonight. It wasn't much of a movie and it was quite irritating when the stops were in the wrong order BUT the infection the camino bug has given me bloomed out in its full power.
Hola Beatrice - you are not the first to pick up this error. In fact the producers picked it up during the first public screening but decided to leave it that way. Also agree about the Camino being "infectious". Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I learned about the Camino from a travel show on PBS. While checking out information on it I learned about the movie, The Way. Ordered the DVD and watched it. Thought it was a pretty good movie, but saw it strictly as a story, not as an accurate travel documentary. I watched it before I walked the Camino and then I watched it again after. Entertained me both times. They did a good job and I think they accomplished what I believe was their real goal, exposing the Camino to more people.
A few times on both my Caminos I heard fellow pilgrims say they were expecting it to be like the movie. Ha ha. Really? o_O

I loved it. Loved it, loved it, loved it. Flaws and all, Martin Sheen in jeans, ridiculous story. I didn't care. Felt like a parent watching a loved child; knew it could do much better, painfully aware it is not the best, brightest, most successful, facile and silly in parts. But our movie, our beloved camino. I'm hopeless.

I agree that The Way was mostly entertainment. I saw it before I walked the Camino. The movie Camino Documentary gives one a more honest look at some of the experiences that one might expect to encounter.

The best way to learn about the Camino is to go there and walk it.

caminodocumentary.org/

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well I didn't find it entertaining either. After all the talk about I thought it should me a good movie at least (I knew about the errors before and never had the vision of a documentary). But no it was quite boring. The only entertainment was saying to my family "I have walked there", "I have visited that church", "you can't put your hand there in the cathedral".

But at least they walked in a fast pace when they walked (that I could recognizing ;-) )

I liked the film in general, but it was unpleasant to me the gipsy party episode (flamenco included) and the Hopitalero who wanted to be a bullfighter. That association flamenco/bullfights to the Camino I think is out of place.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For those who don't have Netflix but are either in the UK or have access to the BBC channels, "The Way" will be on BBC2 on 18 October (next Saturday) at 23:15.

I've only seen it once, did not think much of it at the time but I've just come back from a Camino and am in that post-Camino mood so I'll definitely rewatch it next week while feverishly scribbling in a little notepad my plans for my next Camino ;)

I am always surprised by the number of North Americans whose primary impetus for doing the Camino, at least the Frances, is seeing the film, "The Way." They see the film, decide they want to do it, buy the gear, and show up at St. Jean Pied de Port. A number of these folks, realizing that the filmmakers took liberal literary license are disheartened and some fall out early.

I learned about the Camino first from a Rick Steves travel program shown in the US on "Galicia and the Camino de Santiago." That led me to a web search. The resulting Wikipedia article on the "Way of St. James" contained many useful links, including one for the film. I had pretty much decided that this was something I had to do. But, when I saw the film, I was hooked. However, once I reviewed the Brierley guide, I knew the film was out of sequence, so I knew what to expect in terms of sequencing. Anyway, it is what it is.

"The Way" was produced in 2010. It followed a 2008 journey by the Estavez family to their ancestral lands in Navarra. The Estavez family originally emigrated to the US from Navarra. While there, they learned about the Camino. At that time, they drove sections of the Caminio to get a "feel" for the scope and expanse of the journey.

Afterwards, they decided to find out more about it. They discovered Jack Hitt's book on the Camino Frances. Hitt was a writer who was "between jobs." I recall he walked the Camino Frances in the late 1990s. From there, either Ramon or Martin came up with the idea of a film. The rest is known...

FYI - Martin Sheen's real name is Ramon Antonio Gerardo Estavez. His son, Emilio Estavez, retained the family name during his career. He produced, directed, and co-starred in "The Way." The other sons include Ramon, Carlos (better known as actor Charlie Sheen (the one who is always in some sort of trouble)) and Renee. I think there may be another son named Joe Estavez.

The film is now in general release internationally. One of the more recent translation versions was into French in 2012. In late 2012, I bought it in a Dutch / German / English version, in Belgium to give to several of my Belgian friends. Now that Netflix is available in more EU countries, you can enjoy it via that streaming service.

The last copy I bought online, about six weeks ago, cost only USD 4.70 on Amazon. I like to have a copy on hand for those dark, winter days when I need a Camino fix. I even have it on my notebook and iPod Touch. I needed it to replace a copy of the DVD I loaned out and never got back...no big deal. I do not even remember who I loaned it to.;)

BTW, "The Way" is also available for download purchase on iTunes.

I hope this helps.

Watching The Way prompted a cascade effect in my life. Growing up in Los Angeles, since childhood I've known that films are make-believe. Still, they have the power to move us. The Way made me get off the couch, stop dreaming about it, and make the commitment to walk the Camino. I know that I'll be forever grateful to Emilio Estevez for the motivation.

What's more, since I happen to be a writer, two books will result from the experience: a memoir and a novel for young adults. In fact, the novel has taken over my imagination and the story is already forming in my head. The walk will help ground the details. As for the memoir, well, for that I need to walk the Camino.

Here's a little piece I've written on the subject: "A New Fixation."

I find it wondrous how the Camino can take over one's life before even setting foot on the trail.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am always surprised by the number of North Americans whose primary impetus for doing the Camino, at least the Frances, is seeing the film, "The Way." They see the film, decide they want to do it, buy the gear, and show up at St. Jean Pied de Port. A number of these folks, realizing that the filmmakers took liberal literary license are disheartened and some fall out early.

I learned about the Camino first from a Rick Steves travel program shown in the US on "Galicia and the Camino de Santiago." That led me to a web search. The resulting Wikipedia article on the "Way of St. James" contained many useful links, including one for the film. I had pretty much decided that this was something I had to do. But, when I saw the film, I was hooked. However, once I reviewed the Brierley guide, I knew the film was out of sequence, so I knew what to expect in terms of sequencing. Anyway, it is what it is.

"The Way" was produced in 2010. It followed a 2008 journey by the Estavez family to their ancestral lands in Navarra. The Estavez family originally emigrated to the US from Navarra. While there, they learned about the Camino. At that time, they drove sections of the Caminio to get a "feel" for the scope and expanse of the journey.

Afterwards, they decided to find out more about it. They discovered Jack Hitt's book on the Camino Frances. Hitt was a writer who was "between jobs." I recall he walked the Camino Frances in the late 1990s. From there, either Ramon or Martin came up with the idea of a film. The rest is known...

FYI - Martin Sheen's real name is Ramon Antonio Gerardo Estavez. His son, Emilio Estavez, retained the family name during his career. He produced, directed, and co-starred in "The Way." The other sons include Ramon, Carlos (better known as actor Charlie Sheen (the one who is always in some sort of trouble)) and Renee. I think there may be another son named Joe Estavez.

The film is now in general release internationally. One of the more recent translation versions was into French in 2012. In late 2012, I bought it in a Dutch / German / English version, in Belgium to give to several of my Belgian friends. Now that Netflix is available in more EU countries, you can enjoy it via that streaming service.

The last copy I bought online, about six weeks ago, cost only USD 4.70 on Amazon. I like to have a copy on hand for those dark, winter days when I need a Camino fix. I even have it on my notebook and iPod Touch. I needed it to replace a copy of the DVD I loaned out and never got back...no big deal. I do not even remember who I loaned it to.;)

BTW, "The Way" is also available for download purchase on iTunes.

I hope this helps.
That is the same program on PBS that I first learned about the Camino from (spring 2012), and the same path I took to eventually walking the Camino. Very cool.

The film 'The Way" re-ignited something that had been dormant, but it did not function as a seed being sown. - When I saw it, in 2011 perhaps, it opened floodgates - and I had to ask myself: If not now, then when?
So, off I went, eventually ....(May 2014, Portuguese Caminho - starting in Lisboa)
and grateful that I've followed the inner prompting ...
The film, in my view/experience, was a tribute and honoring of the land of their (Estevan's) ancestors - the Camino being a part of it.
Like a love-letter in pictures and sounds to the land of their fathers and mothers.
And in love letters, who cares for slight errors of sequence or the wrong name of a village? One is after the feeling-tone of that love-letter and what it means to the person who wrote it and what it means to the person who is the intended party.
There is something called 'artistic liberty' - if i aim for more accuracy - i'll seek out other source materials or watch a documentary.
And the feeling tone of that film 'nailed' it in so many ways. (no pun intended) It evokes something - and isn't this what a film, a story, a tale is after?
An artist (film maker/painter/writer/poet/singer/dancer/composer, etc etc etc) sticks his/her neck out each single time when one of their work is made available to the public - with that one relinquishes control how that creative work is being perceived by the audience ... so, one takes from that film (and any other creative work) what is or is not relevant for the viewer/reader/listener and what they are capable of perceiving.
I keep watching it once in a while again - and always inwardly thank them for making that film. It captured something beautifully ---
Saluti -

Last edited:
They had added The Way to Netflix so I saw it tonight. It wasn't much of a movie and it was quite irritating when the stops were in the wrong order BUT the infection the camino bug has given me bloomed out in its full power. The longing back to those roads, charging camino meals and sleep in dormitories with strangers. My god I miss it so much that it brought me into tears. How can I explain to someone who hasn't been there?
I didn't know the movie existed until after my plane tickets were bought, it was a nurse in a podiatrist office that asked, "did you see 'the' movie?" (isn't that always the way it is asked?). I got it pretty instantly.
Without fail it is the beginning that makes me breath deep and tear up inside...when the camera goes out and shows you the massive landscape, and the old looking map of it...and I guess the music...just thinking of it right now puts tears in my eyes. All of that coming together in the beginning just rushes me back to the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Silvio,

There are (at least) threee phases to go thru:

1: The discovery that the Camino is calling you, and you abide by the call and start planning. You are at that phase now, and your Camino has already started, mentally.
2. The walk. If you slide into a Camino "mindset", you will benefit so much more than if only considering the walk as a holiday. You will have remarkable experiences.
3. Standing in front of the cathedral and suddenly realizing that your walk is over. Can be a tough moment, because many don't want it to stop, and they realize that the cathedral (the end of the Way) is not the goal: The Way is the goal.

But after finishing your Camino, you may have gained more insight, received a better personality, or whatever you needed to receive from the Camino. Your view on life etc. may have completely changed. It can be the beginning of a new and better, more peaceful, inner life for many. I hope you will experience something similar. The saying:

"The Camino will give you what you need, not what you want"

is often remarkably spot on.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I miss it too!
Buen Camino

Beatrice

I thought the movie was was a good story about a father who tragically discovers the importance of the "journey" and to experience life rather than spend it all trying to achieve misguided successes. I think the reason people like it are because it reminds them of themselves (myself) who chase the almighty buck and bypass an experience like the Camino (as an example) with their children, family or friends. I did not expect much by way of special effects and hollywood stunts as it was a low budget movie. I also did not expect it to be technically correctly by way of sign posts ect. as it was quite irrelevant to moral of the story (to me of course). I was inspired to walk the camino from the scenery and the fact it was an actual "trail or hike." The bond he develops with the other characters is the real journey for the main character and I might add the obvious transformation from his prior life relationships - all triggered by his son's death. The pain and suffering and this transformation might possibly be the reason why you reacted emotionally.

Buen Camino !

I'm with Kanga, love the movie. Have watched it many times. It brings tears to my eyes when I see the sellos and the scenery. Makes my heart ache.
I agree. I loved the movie errors and all. While walking the Camino I very quickly figured out that the actors may have driven on the Camino, but not walked it. The movie was kind of a mini Camino. The movie led me to many books regarding the Camino and from there it led to plan my own Camino. I had no illusions that it would be tough, but I went on anyway. The Camino kept calling me and I answered its call. I love the movie because It reminds me of where I have been and the joy I experienced while I was there. God willing I'll go back in 2016.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I agree that The Way was mostly entertainment. I saw it before I walked the Camino. The movie Camino Documentary gives one a more honest look at some of the experiences that one might expect to encounter. The best way to learn about the Camino is to go there and walk it. caminodocumentary.org/
Hola Dennis - well at least you have been able to actually see the camino doco - (Six Ways to Santiago?). We in the world outside of the NSTC TV realm are still waiting for the PAL version.
SO people please; Please; PLEASE when will we be able to buy a copy???????? :(o_O

I liked the film in general, but it was unpleasant to me the gipsy party episode (flamenco included) and the Hopitalero who wanted to be a bullfighter. That association flamenco/bullfights to the Camino I think is out of place.
I think if you view it "as a movie" not a documentary you get more out of it.
In the DVD version I bought there is a great interaction between Martin Sheen; Emilio Estavez and David Alexanian in which they explain how each particular section was put together. One think I do know this movie has had a significant affect of increasing the number of Americans who are now interested in / or have walked the Camino.

I expected a really good movie after all the talk about it. I see a lot of movies and this was certainly not one of the best movies. It brought up memories from my own walk but as a story it was quite dull. I can enjoy slow drama sometimes but the only thing that kept me awake was the game of trying to figure out where they were. As I sometimes do when movies are shot it Trollywood my old hometown Trollhättan now turned into a movie making town.

If I need a camino fix I'll not use the movie. I prefer the lovely photos, blogs and videos posted by members here. They are so much better for that. I might have liked it more if I had been able to recognise my self in any of the characters.

But a note to my self. Do not ever again say on the forum that you didn't like the holy The Way as it was a life changing movie for some other members and a lot if them will try to explain the movie for me. Im not stupid I got the intended message but that doesn't makes it a good movie. But I do prefer horror before drama do I wait for the zombie camino movie ;-)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I expected a really good movie after all the talk about it. I see a lot of movies and this was certainly not one of the best movies. It brought up memories from my own walk but as a story it was quite dull. I can enjoy slow drama sometimes but the only thing that kept me awake was the game of trying to figure out where they were. As I sometimes do when movies are shot it Trollywood my old hometown Trollhättan now turned into a movie making town.

If I need a camino fix I'll not use the movie. I prefer the lovely photos, blogs and videos posted by members here. They are so much better for that. I might have liked it more if I had been able to recognise my self in any of the characters.

But a note to my self. Do not ever again say on the forum that you didn't like the holy The Way as it was a life changing movie for some other members and a lot if them will try to explain the movie for me. Im not stupid I got the intended message but that doesn't makes it a good movie. But I do prefer horror before drama do I wait for the zombie camino movie ;-)
Not sure if anyone said the movie changed their life. I think one would be hard pressed to have a movie actually be a life changing event. More like that the movie introduced them to the Camino which in turn led them to walking it which in turn had an impact of sorts on their life. Hopefully a positive impact.

I loved the movie! To each his own in what they like. I was aware that is wasn't filmed in perfect sequence but I understand filmaking and these things happen. I'm one of those that saw the movie and learned about the Camino by watching it. I just returned a few weeks ago. I had limited time so I was able to walk from SJPDP to Pamplona then fast forward by train to Sarria then walked on to Santiago. It was an amazing experience for the short time that I did have, so I know for sure that I will go back and complete what I didn't do the first time.

I can't tell you how many people I met that told me they learned of the Camino by watching the movie and they were not all Americans! Everyone is intitled to thier opinion on what they like and their personal connection to it. The movie is not "life Changing" walking the camino and ones own experience creates what is considered life changing. The Movie was the instrument that highlighted the opportunity for me.

SO people please; Please; PLEASE when will we be able to buy a copy???????? :(o_O

They came to our town a few months ago and showed the movie in our theater. I enjoyed it.
According to their Web site the DVD will be available on 11 November. But it won't be the PAL Version. I have a portable DVD player that will play universal DVDS. Hopefully you can gets your hands on one. It would be very smart of them to make it available in other formats. Hopefully they will.

It is nice to hear from you Mike. Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I enjoyed the movie but it was an after the fact thing. My youngest son watched the movie and just had to go with us on our next Camino. He suffered and would never do it again. The movie is all glamour with none of the pains. Some one earlier associated the movie with the increased number of North American walkeers and those who pretend they have walked and I agree. The reference to it as "The Way" some how takes away from the actuality of the Camino De Santiago.
I used to be able to flyfish in solitude until that stupid movie came out. So I guess I can say the Camino suffers from the river runs through it syndrome.

Last edited:
They came to our town a few months ago and showed the movie in our theater. I enjoyed it.
According to their Web site the DVD will be available on 11 November. But it won't be the PAL Version. I have a portable DVD player that will play universal DVDS. Hopefully you can gets your hands on one. It would be very smart of them to make it available in other formats. Hopefully they will.

It is nice to hear from you Mike. Buen Camino

I'm looking forward to the release of this film too. Is it true that it wont be available in European dvd format? Do you know if it would play on a computer?

I enjoyed the movie but it was an after the fact thing. My youngest son watched the movie and just had to go with us on our next Camino. He suffered and would never do it again. The movie is all glamour with none of the pains. Some one earlier associated the movie with the increased number of North American walkeers and those who pretend they have walked and I agree. The reference to it as "The Way" some how takes away from the actuality of the Camino De Santiago.
I used to be able to flyfish in solitude until that stupid movie came out. So I guess I can say the Camino suffers from the river runs through it syndrome.
I didn't find anything painful about the Camino. Knees and feet would be a little sore at the end of the day, but nothing truly painful. I thought it was a fairly easy walk.
Different people walk the Camino for different reasons. No one reason is better or purer than another.
I'm sure the movie, "The Way" spiked a surge of Camino walkers that would have never walked it otherwise. I'm sure that for a few years there will be a rise in numbers of pilgrims because of that and then the numbers will probably go back down. I hope not, and I'm sure a lot of the merchants, bars, cafes, etc along the Camino would agree with me. I see it as the more, the merrier. I want everyone to know about the Camino and I want everyone that has a desire to walk it to be able to do so. I would not mind if a million people walked it every year and I don't care if a lot of the people are walking it only because it's popular, trendy or just to socialize. It's all good. Some of the coolest people I met walking the Camino were doing it just to socialize and found out about it because of the movie.
If I don't want to run into other fishermen when I wet a fly, I just walk a little further upstream, but sometimes it's nice when others are around. ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was vaguely aware of the Camino prior to the movie. The movie premiered in Indianapolis a few years ago at The Heartland Film Festival and both Martin Sheen (one of my favorite actors) and Emilio Estevez were there. They spoke about their Spanish ancestry and the reasons behind making the film. Most importantly, they spoke about their father/son relationship before, during, and after the filming of The Way, along with their thoughts on Catholicism. When I do finally travel the Camino to celebrate my 50th birthday, I won't go expecting the trip to be like the movie, but I will be forever grateful to the movie for peaking my interest, and I do love the story. My daughter and I know every line...including our favorite - If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much!

"I didn't find anything painful about the Camino. Knees and feet would be a little sore at the end of the day, but nothing truly painful. I thought it was a fairly easy walk."

Aren't you the special one.

"I didn't find anything painful about the Camino. Knees and feet would be a little sore at the end of the day, but nothing truly painful. I thought it was a fairly easy walk."

Aren't you the special one.
Heck no!
AARP age with tore up knees and a bad ankle. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm looking forward to the release of this film too. Is it true that it wont be available in European dvd format? Do you know if it would play on a computer?

I looked on their web site and they have a European office in Paris. I happen to be on vacation in Paris, so I will call them in the morning and let you know what they say. I have been able to play PAL format DVD's on my computer in the past. So who knows for sure? I will let you know what I find out.

I got my copy, a DVD region 2, from Amazon. Have watched at least 7 times, cried every time, loved it, then even met the Swedish chef who served his lamb to Jors in Pamplona. The restaurant behind the cathedral. And he was so proud of that fact and said Martin Sheen was such a genuine gentleman. Great.

Those of you who speak French, or at least understand it, may want to see the following movies: "St-Jacques la Mecque" (Frech) and "Les doigts croches" (Québec). Neither claims to describe the Camino, be it the route, the villages, the monuments, nor the relationships. I found "The Way" to be quite boring but would enjoy watching these light comedies again.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wait a minute....so movies don't always reflect reality with 100% accuracy? No wonder I've been having a hard time finding flights to Middle Earth. Actually, I think "The Way" should have been called "The Calling" since it seems that for a lot of us, that's exactly what it did. For me, it was confirmation of what I felt after reading a small article about the Camino in the local paper. Walking out of the theater I knew I had to get to Spain and experience it for myself. Did I meet a bull fighting inn owner/crazy hospitalero/or drug using Dutchman? Nope. But I did see some beautiful country, got better in touch with who I am and met some of the most amazing, wonderful people ever. Kind of like Martin Sheens character.

Hola Dennis - well at least you have been able to actually see the camino doco - (Six Ways to Santiago?). We in the world outside of the NSTC TV realm are still waiting for the PAL version.

Hola Mike

I just spoke to the office in Paris. I am attaching their response by an email they Just sent to me. She is copying her email to her office in USA - thus the mention of other names.

I also want to mention that there is more than one film being discussed on this thread right now. My info is about the Camino Documentary and not other film.

"Hi Dennis,

Thank you so much for calling! So as I understand - We are selling our DVD
starting November 20th. It will be available only in American format at the
moment, not PAL. We hope to have a PAL version sometime next year, not sure of
exact date, but after we have a cinematic release in Europe. The film will also
be available for STREAMING on November 20th as well.

Maggie & Adam- Dennis just happened to be in Paris, so that is why he called me
here. There is much excitement about the film on “CaminoForum” at the moment.
But people are unsure if they should order if they are from overseas. Dennis is
going to go on the Camino Forum and post what I wrote above, but I suggest that
perhaps we go onine at the Forum and post an “official” statement about
purchasing the product if you are overseas.

Thanks again Dennis for bringing this to our attention!
Cheers-
Sally Bentley"

Hope this helps Buen Camino
---------------------------------

HOLD THE PRESS = Right after I posted her email, I received the following correction:

"Hi Dennis!
Just reading the fine print on the Beyond Words website where you can buy our
DVD. It says “All Regions” - so that means it will work on DVD players over here
in Europe. So people can order it from over here! Can you please update your
post?
Thank you! Sally
Sally F. Bentley
Producer
Walking the Camino; Six Ways to Santiago
http://www.caminodocumentary.org/
+33 6 48 22 65 37
ES"

I hope this helps - Buen Camino

HOLD THE PRESS = Right after I posted her email, I received the following correction:

"Hi Dennis!
Just reading the fine print on the Beyond Words website where you can buy our
DVD. It says “All Regions” - so that means it will work on DVD players over here
in Europe. So people can order it from over here! Can you please update your
post?
Thank you! Sally
Sally F. Bentley
Producer
Walking the Camino; Six Ways to Santiago
http://www.caminodocumentary.org/
+33 6 48 22 65 37
ES"

I hope this helps - Buen Camino

Thats great Dennis, thanks for your efforts to find out this information. Looking forward to watching "Six ways to Santiago". Enjoy your vacation in Paris:)

...Did I meet a bull fighting inn owner/crazy hospitalero/or drug using Dutchman? Nope.

He, he. I did.

Walked with a young Dutch a couple of days, but: I was sitting in a cafe in Leon talking with a nice Spanish man and 2 of his friends an evening. Since we had the same name (Alex) we sort of became friends. His 2 other friends were just sitting enjoying a cigarette they shared. Odd, I thought. Then they offered ME a cigarette, and it turned out that they thought that the old Norw. was a nice guy, so they ought to give him some of their marihuana! 2nd time in my life: First was in Bermuda 26 years ago!:D

Also met a crazy hospitalera, a real bad handful; Stay away from Larrasoana between Roncesvalles and Pamplona: The woman in the albergue is a bitch in a really bad way: Rude and unfriendly, and the only alternative in town is a private hostal trying to squeeze 55 Euros out of you, and with only one cafe in the pueblo... Not a pilgrim friendly place, indeed...

That's about it: Never saw any bullfighters...

Edit: For those of you wanting to start up an albergue, Larrasoana should be the perfect place: Shitty competition, easy to outperform, and you'd get a good name & reputation within a few weeks.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Larrasoana is on my personal "take a pass" list as well. This year, I actually rode the bus from Roncesvalles to Pamplona on my second morning, so I could skip this two days of walking in the mud and damp, unheated albergues. In 2013, I became ill after a single, cold and wet night in the municipal at Larrasoana. Lesson learned...

He, he. I did.

Also met a crazy hospitalera, a real bad handful; Stay away from Larrasoana between Roncesvalles and Pamplona: The woman in the albergue is a bitch in a really bad way: Rude and unfriendly, and the only alternative in town is a private hostal trying to squeeze 55 Euros out of you, and with only one cafe in the pueblo... Not a pilgrim friendly place, indeed... Edit: For those of you wanting to start up an albergue, Larrasoana should be the perfect place: Shitty competition, easy to outperform, and you'd get a good name & reputation within a few weeks.

Hola Alex- was this "lady"(?) the permanent hospitalera or someone who was there short term? I have just checked my copy of Brieley(9th ed - 2013) and he is full of praise for this establishment and the energetic mayor of the town. Have you posted a note to John about your problems with this woman? He will be starting his annual update shortly so will appreciate any up to date info. Zubiri might be a better alternative. Cheers

Mike,

Old as she was, she appeared as the regular/permanent hospitalera in the municipal albergue. I don't know. Horrible person. After being "offered" a room in the only hostal for 55 Euros instead of the completo albergue (of which we heard rumours of bedbugs as well), I took a taxi to Pamplona. I like walking, but I do not like being in a dump that tries to exploit me/behaving rude and impolite. Avoid Larrasoana. Period.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
[...]I have just checked my copy of Brieley(9th ed - 2013) and he is full of praise for this establishment and the energetic mayor of the town.[..]
As far as I know, any guide edition is prepared about 2 years before it being put on the shelves. In 2010 the mayor of Sarraoña was as dynamic as ever. But the municipality has not been able to improve (finance?) upon the albergue's reputation. Both physical (main building and dependance) remained what they were :eek: and the personnel ..... hard to motivate under the circumstances. :rolleyes: And as far as updating travel guides is concerned, cost-benefit reasons of the editor do not always allow for extensive investigation of previous fact-findings.:p

It is a pity everyone has bad memories of Larrasoana. We had a wonderful night there, stayed in the private hostel, had a wonderful meal at the bar, drank some good wine, met some great pilgrims and all in all enjoyed ourselves.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bye the way, to get back to the original poster, we also enjoyed the movie 'The Way'. We realized it was a movie, and just enjoyed it. We were not surprised when our Camino was better than the movie.

The Rick Steve's episode on Spain was the first time I heard of the Camino. Then a year later I saw The Way on Netflix. It didn't exactly inspire me to walk, but it did make me look up the Camino on wikipedia and what it was all about. (After the Rick Steve's show, my impression of the Camino was that it was something done by rich adults or young kids with rich parents who didn't have to worry about work or money.) But the more I read and learned, the more I saw that I could do the Camino. Soon after that, "I could do the Camino," turned into, "I NEED to do the Camino."

I re-watched The Way last week. When I think back on the Camino, it all seems like such a blur. But when I was watching, I kept saying, "I remember that!" and, "I was there! I know where that is!"

Here are some of the nitpicks I have:
1. There is a scene near the beginning where Tom is leaving some ash by a monument to the Virgin Mary. The monument is after Roncesvalles, but if I remember right, he was there before he got to town.

2. I don't care how fast you walk, Pamplona is never just a day's walk from Roncesvalles, especially for an old man and a fat dutchman. Okay, you could walk it in one day, but you'd never be within spitting distance of Pamplona while it was still light out.

3. The "edge of town" for Burgos is not through a park to a nice gate. I do recall walking through a park, but I also remember there was quite a bit of town after that park. If someone was to ask me where the edge of Burgos was, I'd tell them, "Go past the college and the townhouses, then go for about a mile and a half until you come across the playground and benches, then you can for sure you are out of Burgos."

4. Watching the movie can make it feel like getting to Burgos is basically the end of the Camino. The Meseta is glossed over with a montage, Leon gets a brief cameo for the Parador, and the next thing you know we're in Santiago. What about Astorga? Or Ponferrada? Or Sarria? But I do understand that it's a movie and you can't actually show 30+ days of walking.

Other than that, I do think it's a good film and it's worth watching.

To me, The Way is all about feelings. This movie started playing near me in the Autumn of 2011, shortly after I had received my 'call to the Camino,' and it was the inspiration that finally got me going. Seeing it now: the imagery, the landscapes, the stereotypical people, and even the sounds of the windmills evoke deep and warm memories of so many experiences and people that I met along the journey. Whenever I am feeling blue, I throw a copy of it into my DVD player, and all of those feelings that each one of us knows, come to the surface and warm my spirit. The tears that we shed acknowledge the intensity of our remembered feelings. The Way is a wonderful reverie.

Play the 'Commentary' track after you have watched it a few times, and you will feel the joy that the Estevez/Sheen family experienced in filming this motion picture.

¡Buen Camino!

€149,-
The movie which still impresses me after many Caminos is made by Paul Tobey, a Canadian who walked the Way in 2004. He published this interesting documentary on the Camino with "ohyeoflittlefaith":)
I'm not sure if this Zip-file is still available on the internet. The code is "inspire"
My link in Arabic is probably not very useful to be published here?:rolleyes:

I'll add my two cents worth too: I loved the movie. In fact, I've seen it several times and enjoyed it each time. It's a good story, well told although I thought the bag falling off the bridge was a little corny. Then again, I enjoyed walking and meeting all the great pilgrims that I met along the Way whether they snored or not, talked to me at dinner or not, stayed up late or were among the early risers, whatever. I saved my scorn for the weather, just so that I could bitch and moan about something that wouldn't get offended by my complaints.

My husband and I stumbled across The Way one rainy afternoon. After we watched it, we saw a PBS interview with a man from Boise who had just finished the Camino. A week or two later we saw a story about two men from Boise, one of whom pushed the other in a wheelchair the whole way. I mentioned to a coworker at the university that we were thinking of making a pilgrimage in Spain in 2016 and as it turns out, she and her husband are making the journey this summer. We saw the Rick Steve's version and also another PBS show about pilgrimages. In the meantime, we've read several books, found this forum (and others), and will be buying the documentary set for ourselves for Christmas. Perhaps it is selective perception, but it seems that a few months ago I had never heard of the Camino and now it is everywhere.

We actually love The Way, but we watched it for a movie and not a travel guide. We own it now. We'll make our own journey in 2016.

€149,-
"The Way" is a remake of the 1939 movie, The Wizard of Oz.
Tom is the new Dorothy, transported by a storm of emotions to a mystical faraway kingdom. There Tom begins a journey (on the Yellow Brick Road) to find his way back to the love and understanding that he once shared with his son, and to find acceptance of his sons passing.
Along the way, Tom meets a Dutchman, who has lost the love and respect of his family and friends, and ultimately his self respect, and is now walking on the YBR to find the courage to be himself.
Next on the way, Tom meets a woman who has lost all love for others, and truly for herself. She walks the YBR to find the love for herself, and thereby to forgive herself.
The scarecrow needed a brain, and so does the Irish writer. A man who knows the story is within him, but cannot find it (even when well oiled with wine and self pity).
The four pilgrims must constantly battle the wicked witch, Fear. For Fear is the only thing that can destroy them all.
When they overcome the witch and her harpies, they arrive at Oz (Santiago) each hoping to be given the secrets to make their dreams come true.
What they find at the end of the Road is that everything they desired, acceptance, love, forgiveness, feeling, understandings, were within them all the time. And that only Fear can hide these things from the true searcher.

Fade Out.
The End

"The Way" is a remake of the 1939 movie, The Wizard of Oz.
Tom is the new Dorothy, transported by a storm of emotions to a mystical faraway kingdom. There Tom begins a journey (on the Yellow Brick Road) to find his way back to the love and understanding that he once shared with his son, and to find acceptance of his sons passing.
Along the way, Tom meets a Dutchman, who has lost the love and respect of his family and friends, and ultimately his self respect, and is now walking on the YBR to find the courage to be himself.
Next on the way, Tom meets a woman who has lost all love for others, and truly for herself. She walks the YBR to find the love for herself, and thereby to forgive herself.
The scarecrow needed a brain, and so does the Irish writer. A man who knows the story is within him, but cannot find it (even when well oiled with wine and self pity).
The four pilgrims must constantly battle the wicked witch, Fear. For Fear is the only thing that can destroy them all.
When they overcome the witch and her harpies, they arrive at Oz (Santiago) each hoping to be given the secrets to make their dreams come true.
What they find at the end of the Road is that everything they desired, acceptance, love, forgiveness, feeling, understandings, were within them all the time. And that only Fear can hide these things from the true searcher.

Fade Out.
The End
Yeah, I think the director mentions the Wizard of Oz bit if you watch the DVD with the commentary on.

Perhaps it is selective perception, but it seems that a few months ago I had never heard of the Camino and now it is everywhere.
I had to laugh at this one. It is so true. Just lift your head, and wait and see: More signs will be coming your way... It is very strange, but true. It happens.

My god I miss it so much that it brought me into tears. How can I explain to someone who hasn't been there?
Not possible, I am afraid.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Didn't know there was commentary. Good, a reason to watch again.
The commentary is on the DVD version - its a conversation between Martin Shean / Emilio Estevez (his real son) and David Alexanian one of the EPs. For me its actually better than the movie for it explains the background to each significant scene and how the Estevez Family fit into NW Spain (Martin's father was born in Galicia). The end line in the credits - dedicating the film to Emilio's Grandfather really surprised Martin - he did not know it was to be included and when he saw the film - sitting with his sister - it brought tears to both of their eyes.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.