• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Finally....my first steps!

MarcelWals

Walking a Camino = a way of living...
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances,Portugues,Finisterre-Muxia,Ingles,Primitiv
Finally I made my first steps! After a long day of flying, waiting, flying again, taking a bus, I finally get where my starting point was. Sarria. And I said it before...i will walk the camino light version. But it's my camino. And before I took a delicious meal, I went to the centre to see some parts of Sarria. How nice. The place I found to stay over was fine. And I could even take a warm shower. Wow! Let the day begin! I start the day by a good breakfast and now I'm ready to walk, let go of things and just enjoy my steps. I will see what they bring me....And even it will be rainy, I will walk in shorts. Most of the rain will fall next to me ;) For my fellow walkers, wish you a buen Camino!

Cheers!

Marcel

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Finally I made my first steps! After a long day of flying, waiting, flying again, taking a bus, I finally get where my starting point was. Sarria. And I said it before...i will walk the camino light version. But it's my camino. And before I took a delicious meal, I went to the centre to see some parts of Sarria. How nice. The place I found to stay over was fine. And I could even take a warm shower. Wow! Let the day begin! I start the day by a good breakfast and now I'm ready to walk, let go of things and just enjoy my steps. I will see what they bring me....And even it will be rainy, I will walk in shorts. Most of the rain will fall next to me ;) For my fellow walkers, wish you a buen Camino!

Cheers!

Marcel
Buen Camino !

Cheers!

Marcel
Hey Marcel
I am jealous :rolleyes:
Buen Camino!!!!:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you all! Well....it was even more then I expected. What an amazing day! So much experienced today that I have to take time to let it all land. And then think it over what it learned/gave me today. What I litterly asked this morning by saying it loud, it happend! How bizarre. What a good feeling. Unfortunally today there is no mis in the church of Portomarin. Hoppefully I will get one tomorrow where my plan is to palas de rei. Thanks for all your kinds words.

Marcel

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Your Camino is important, and when you get to the cathedral in Santiago, you will truly understand. As others, I do wish I were there with you.

Buen Camino,
--jim--

You are absolutely right,Jim. Thnx!

Thank you all! Well....it was even more then I expected. What an amazing day! So much experienced today that I have to take time to let it all land. And then think it over what it learned/gave me today. What I litterly asked this morning by saying it loud, it happend! How bizarre. What a good feeling. Unfortunally today there is no mis in the church of Portomarin. Hoppefully I will get one tomorrow where my plan is to palas de rei. Thanks for all your kinds words.

Marcel
Ooo that sounds good! Just enjoy everything that comes on your way! The Camino Will bring you what you need, mass or no mass.
Buen Camino

...the world is your Church...hear it in the wind, babbling brooke....the song of the birds as you pass
Tonight you'll see it in the stars and again as the sun rises.
Penny, you are so right...the world is our church, and we can immerse ourselves in the beauty all around us, and that is so ever-present along the Camino.

--jim--

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It is really unbelievable what the Camino gives! I came here with an open mind and I already have the feeling that I'm growing. I was lucky today (again). Met a lot of people, went to a mass, meet the priest and a good chat. I give him a present from Holland:A wooden shoe. I have to write all my stories/feelings on paper cause it is so much what it does with me. And I know it's not good to say it right now but I am not looking forward that it's already done...my Camino. I wish I could stay. But what I learned here I will take back to Holland. My family and frienda will get the benefits of my journey. But I will come back. The good thing is.. my plan is to reach Santiago this saturday and for sunday I will enjoy all things. No plans. My Camino so far is far beyond Buen!

Cheers!

Marcel

Buen Camino Marcel!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is really unbelievable what the Camino gives! I came here with an open mind and I already have the feeling that I'm growing. I was lucky today (again). Met a lot of people, went to a mass, meet the priest and a good chat. I give him a present from Holland:A wooden shoe. I have to write all my stories/feelings on paper cause it is so much what it does with me. And I know it's not good to say it right now but I am not looking forward that it's already done...my Camino. I wish I could stay. But what I learned here I will take back to Holland. My family and frienda will get the benefits of my journey. But I will come back. The good thing is.. my plan is to reach Santiago this saturday and for sunday I will enjoy all things. No plans. My Camino so far is far beyond Buen!

Cheers!

Marcel
I recognise every word Marcel. Am so glad for you!
Buen Camino!

Cheers!

Marcel
I'm so happy for you. Even when walking the whole Camino this summer....coming to the end was hard. You would think with daily pain it would be a relief...the feelings will be a mix for you I'm sure. Enjoy my friend.

I was so sick when I got to Santiago. I went to mass and then to my room which was my usual. What wasn't was waking up a few hours later with chills and sweats. I felt horrible.. I wanted so much to continue to Muxia and Finisterre. No way. I flew out to Madrid for home and after seeing a Doctor was on bedrest. Heat exhaustion, intestinal infection... prescribed four different Meds. I know there was NO way I could continue but feel unfinished. Stupid I know as I walked the full Camino. I hope to go back and finish that part. Today I had a recheck of the skin Cancer on my nose. Doctor wants another biopsy...seems worried. But wants me to wait 6 weeks... he feels I've been through so much lately. He had warned me after the two Cemo treatments last December....if it returned it would mean disfiguring invasive surgery.
My sweet hubby says I'd still be sexy with half a nose....I guess what I'm saying walk it like it's your last...make it count. I'm not saying mine was my last but you just never know.... God Bless ....Stay Strong... And Be All You Can Be.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wish you all the power I have in me,Penny. I got your words. Thank you for that!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Marcel hope you are still in Palais Del Rai pls give my regards to Father Alberto (Comboni priest) in case u see him gracias :)

Palais Del Rei Father Alberto.jpg

Hi Marcel hope you are still in Palais Del Rai pls give my regards to Father Alberto (Comboni priest) in case u see him gracias :)

View attachment 29595

Unfortunately I left Palas. But I met Father Alberto and we speak some time. What an amazing man! He gave me some good advices. And I gave him a present fron Holland. Now it's too far to walk back. Next time I will say hi,ok? ;)

I just made some purchases from Ivars online store....the hands free umbrella as shade is hard to find....the Portuguese Camino guide....Stay positive and Always keep planning ahead.....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was so sick when I got to Santiago. I went to mass and then to my room which was my usual. What wasn't was waking up a few hours later with chills and sweats. I felt horrible.. I wanted so much to continue to Muxia and Finisterre. No way. I flew out to Madrid for home and after seeing a Doctor was on bedrest. Heat exhaustion, intestinal infection... prescribed four different Meds. I know there was NO way I could continue but feel unfinished. Stupid I know as I walked the full Camino. I hope to go back and finish that part. Today I had a recheck of the skin Cancer on my nose. Doctor wants another biopsy...seems worried. But wants me to wait 6 weeks... he feels I've been through so much lately. He had warned me after the two Cemo treatments last December....if it returned it would mean disfiguring invasive surgery.
My sweet hubby says I'd still be sexy with half a nose....I guess what I'm saying walk it like it's your last...make it count. I'm not saying mine was my last but you just never know.... God Bless ....Stay Strong... And Be All You Can Be.
Wish you all good and recovery from Holland, you Will be back on the Camino! Xxxxxx

Cheers!

Marcel

Buen camino Marcel Wals!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
After another 2 days of walk I have to say: above my expectation! What an amazing adventure. It changed me. For sure. And I read also the post that the Camino is changing into a Disney tour. I understand that post. I agree and see it also. But...I walk/talk to other pilgrims I share my story, listen to others and learn. I eat and drink with them. I only take with me what I need to grow from doin' the camino. It is the law of attraction. That what you send you will receive. I am having the time of my

....life and talk to locals if I need something. Yesterday I needed a saw. I walk to a local, asked my question and got helped. You can get anything you want. Just do it!
Thanks fot sharing my story.

Marcel

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
After another 2 days of walk I have to say: above my expectation! What an amazing adventure. It changed me. For sure. And I read also the post that the Camino is changing into a Disney tour. I understand that post. I agree and see it also. But...I walk/talk to other pilgrims I share my story, listen to others and learn. I eat and drink with them. I only take with me what I need to grow from doin' the camino. It is the law of attraction. That what you send you will receive. I am having the time of my
Yes ! You've got it. See the positives ! So Happy for You

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
....I have to change the name of my thread in "Unfortunately....my last steps"
Today I will walk to my destination for this time: Santiago! But...man oh man...how will I miss this (feeling). Everynight I wrote a short story and when I'm back I will write it again. To remember, share it and cherish it. Will make a nice collage of pics with people I met and hang it on a place I daily can see. I wanna thank you all for giving me advices, comments and a listener's ear.
Wish all a buen Camino!
Marcel

....I have to change the name of my thread in "Unfortunately....my last steps"
Today I will walk to my destination for this time: Santiago! But...man oh man...how will I miss this (feeling). Everynight I wrote a short story and when I'm back I will write it again. To remember, share it and cherish it. Will make a nice collage of pics with people I met and hang it on a place I daily can see. I wanna thank you all for giving me advices, comments and a listener's ear.
Wish all a buen Camino!
Marcel

Enjoy Santiago Marcel!

And enjoy planning the next Camino....:)

What a great day!

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back