• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finally! My second one! You can 'help' me. #advice

MarcelWals

Walking a Camino = a way of living...
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances,Portugues,Finisterre-Muxia,Ingles,Primitiv
Hi fellow pilgrims,

It's really unbelievable (and funny in the same way) wich decision to make for a new Camino ;) But I did...Finally I made my decision. I will start on the 10th of April in Porto and will walk, feel, experience and breath the Camino Portugues! Hè hè...can't wait to fly to Porto. Prob it will be the central route but you know how it goes on the Camino...you'll never know what happens to decide to take another route. So...I am excited! I want to share this with you! Never been there before so my question to you is: what part/town/albergue/bar/etc must I visit. And maybe you are there in the same period, just let me know.
Thank you for reading and evt. your advice. I really preciate it.

Marcel

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was in Porto this past summer and loved both sides of the main bridge with the pedestrian crossing in the heart of the old city. My memory of a great port tasting and lunch was at "Sandeman" on the river with great views. Very classy, lots of big outdoor umbrellas and good food...not to mention the wonderful samples of port wine. :D
6023863988_c761cbee4d_b.jpg

Hey Chris,

Thanks for your suggestions. I will keep that in mind (well....make a note of it) and put it on my list. Also about the port wine ;)

Cheers!

Marcel

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Greeting, Marcel!
The Caminho Portuguese was my first ever camino back in 2011. Yes, by all means visit the wine/port/sherry caves along the river, but most important simply enjoy the caminho and the company of other peregrinos.
Unfortunately I am now a little too old to contemplate another one - but have enjoyed each one in its unique way: for they are all different in character.
You can check out the links to all my walking on my web site http://snicholl5.wixsite.com/home-site/santiago and feel free to ask questions about anything, either on this forum or direct to me if you wish.
Blessings, my friend, from grey, windy England.....

What a wonderful reply, Stephen. I will check the site and prob have some questions for you. And I will promise you that when I'm in Porto, I will have a drink...or maybe 2...3...or even 4 drinks on you,sir! Keep in touch, my 'older' friend ;)

You have a wonderful walk ahead Marcel! You begin in a beautiful city. Not sure how much time you have in Porto but highlights for me were: Wandering the streets and alleys - especially in the Ribeira district - great cafes and bars. Riding the Funicular dos Guindais - views over the Douro River and the Dom Luis 1 Bridge. Another fantastic view point of the whole city is from the top of the Torre dos Clerigos. The Sao Bento train station with it's azulejos tiles. The Lello bookstore. Definitely a city I'd like to spend more time in.
Bom Caminho!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Porto is one of my favourite cities. You have some great ideas in the messages above. It is a wonderful experience to simply cross the bridge to the south side and sit having lunch or a drink as you take in the view on the north side. It is well worth spending at least one full day in Porto, and if possible, even more. Enjoy!

Well well well. Lots of interesting things to check in Porto. I start in Porto, walk to Santiago and then back by bus to Porto. I will have the time for it. Sounds wonderful....and delicious. So thank you so much for your advices. It helped me.

Marcel

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey Sabine,

I will find out what that first day will do to me. For one thing I know it in front: I will enjoy every step if it! ;)

Marcel

Thank you, Doogman.
Especially that part of the view to the North. With a snack and a drink. Can you imagine that? ;)

Marcel

Hi fellow pilgrims,

It's really unbelievable (and funny in the same way) wich decision to make for a new Camino ;) But I did...Finally I made my decision. I will start on the 10th of April in Porto and will walk, feel, experience and breath the Camino Portugues! Hè hè...can't wait to fly to Porto. Prob it will be the central route but you know how it goes on the Camino...you'll never know what happens to decide to take another route. So...I am excited! I want to share this with you! Never been there before so my question to you is: what part/town/albergue/bar/etc must I visit. And maybe you are there in the same period, just let me know.
Thank you for reading and evt. your tips. I really preciate it.

Marcel
We did the Camino P in July from Lisboa to Santiago. Going out of Porto, take the Coastal Route for a couple of days. It's beautiful! Then rejoin the Central. We did have to take a cab to do this, however.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Our experience of the Portuguese way was a a bit different as we walked in reverse (heading to Lisbon rather then Santiago), but as you will be walking in the wet season I'd advise taking good wet weather gear and merino thermals as it can be cold and difficult to get stuff dry. But you can always warm yourself up with a cup of traditional hot chocolate.

Thank you. I still have plenty of time to think about it what route to take. Thnx

Last edited:
Hi Hel@Scott,
Thnx for your advice about the raingear. I had the feeling spring was coming up so good to know about rain stuff. Thnx

Marcel

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Hel@Scott,
Thnx for your advice about the raingear. I had the feeling spring was coming up so good to know about rain stuff.
No worries, while we are going through a very wet spring down here in the Southern Hemisphere now, when April rolls around it will indeed be spring time on the Camino, but it can still be wet in Portugal then too... Have you considered the Vdlp? It is supposed to be glorious in spring and full of wild flowers, sadly something I haven't seen personally as we do our walks in northern Autumn as far commitments mean we are harvesting in April.

Hi fellow pilgrims,

Thank you for reading and evt. your advice. I really preciate it.

Marcel
Hi Marcel , we will probably meet in " de huiskamer van de lage landen " .
I will be there as a volunteer from April the twentieth til May the fourth.

Wish you well,Peter.

Hi Marcel , we will probably meet in " de huiskamer van de lage landen " .
I will be there as a volunteer from April the twentieth til May the fourth.

Wish you well,Peter.

Hey Peter! (Hi Peter)
Leuk zeg (how nice).
Ik start de 10e April vanaf Porto. (I will start the 10th of April from Porto)
We houden dan contact (we keep in touch)

Marcel (Marcel)

:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.